2022 Starting Left Tackle

Bronx

2022 Starting Left Tackle   

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do we start Fant or Bacon?

6 minutes ago, Hex said:

It's due to the fact that he's played for half a game the whole season and his injury has lasted 2x as long as it should have, many people are speculating that the coaching staff doesn't think he could be effective. I think that's a ton of bullcrap, but it's what people think

I mean, I understand why people are speculating. Its the injury. Fans were told 4-8 weeks, and if it exceeds that something else must be going on. And while that's fair, it doesn't mean they've lost faith and are writing him off for next season in any way, shape or form. My guess would be that Becton, being a ginormous human, took longer to heal and recover. And he probably wasn't in top game shape. Maybe even mentally after missing so much football. The backups were playing well and it makes a ton of sense that Saleh and the Jet brass just decided to shut him down. 

What probably added to that decision was the fact that he is their young, uber talented, cornerstone of this O-line LT, who they invested the 11th overall pick in just 2 seasons ago, and they don't want any setbacks when there is absolutely no need to rush him back into action. 

• Upvote 1

We should draft a bunch of LTs and then play them at other spots to have depth at the position at all times. 

LG, AVT can play LT

RT to be, Becton, can play LT

Lets draft Ikem Ekwanu, Kenyon Green, or Trevor Penning to play RG…all three can also play LT. 

…and then there’s George Fant. 

We should be able to field a strong front-5 at ALL TIMES, regardless of injury or sickness, to PROTECT OUR F***ING QB.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Going into next year, having Becton even penciled in as your starting LT would be neglect. 

In the end, who cares where you 'pencil' him in. When healthy, he is a starter. And as long as we have depth (Fant, Becton, and a solid rotational/backup from the draft or FA), we're good. If he struggles at LT, there is plenty of time to figure out the best fit. 

If Becton ends up moving to RT, I don't think it will be so much because Fant played better than Becton (which he did), I think it will be because of how much better Fant played LT than RT. Fant struggled at times at RT. If Fant continues to hold down the left side as well as he has been and Becton is able to dominate the right side the overall o-line will be that much better for it. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

We should draft a bunch of LTs and then play them at other spots to have depth at the position at all times. 

LG, AVT can play LT

RT to be, Becton, can play LT

Lets draft Ikem Ekwanu, Kenyon Green, or Trevor Penning to play RG…all three can also play LT. 

…and then there’s George Fant. 

We should be able to field a strong front-5 at ALL TIMES, regardless of injury or sickness, to PROTECT OUR F***ING QB.

LOL we should. We should literally be looking to draft another AVT- type who is suited to play as a starter at OG in the NFL but can easily make the switch to OT. Ekwonu is a great example. But Green and Penning can do the same. Kinnard played RT most of his career but is projected to play G at the next level. Versatility is key on the o-line. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PepPep said:

LOL we should. We should literally be looking to draft another AVT- type who is suited to play as a starter at OG in the NFL but can easily make the switch to OT. Ekwonu is a great example. But Green and Penning can do the same. Kinnard played RT most of his career but is projected to play G at the next level. Versatility is key on the o-line. 

It’s all about the OL.  Sustaining drives, and keeping the defense fresh.  

The top-4 rushing offenses in the NFL are: PHI (163 yd/game), IND (154), CLE (144), TEN (138). 

Think about that. The league leader is not Jonathan Taylor’s team, or Derrick Henry’s, or Chubb/Hunt/Johnson’s; It’s Philly: with Miles Sanders, Jordan Howard off the street, Scott Boston, and slower than Zach Wilson (4.44), Jalen Hurts (4.59). 

PHI is a tentative WC as of this post, because of their top-10 (9th) defense, and rushing game.  Sh*t man, we already have a better passing offense than they do (18th vs 26th) and they’re in the playoffs. 

We have the RB. WE NEED OL. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, PepPep said:

In the end, who cares where you 'pencil' him in. When healthy, he is a starter. And as long as we have depth (Fant, Becton, and a solid rotational/backup from the draft or FA), we're good. If he struggles at LT, there is plenty of time to figure out the best fit. 

If Becton ends up moving to RT, I don't think it will be so much because Fant played better than Becton (which he did), I think it will be because of how much better Fant played LT than RT. Fant struggled at times at RT. If Fant continues to hold down the left side as well as he has been and Becton is able to dominate the right side the overall o-line will be that much better for it. 

This just feels argumentative for the sake of it.

Of course you go into the season with penciled in starters at every position and you adapt from there.

Point being is you must not expect Becton to be a starter.  You must bring in a legitimate NFL staring LT and RT - if Becton beats them out, even better..

but that shouldn't be the plan.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Just like JD forced the coaches to play Mims because he was a second round pick, right? 🤔

That's comparing apples to oranges. We're talking about switching a guys position due to his health, while sitting a WR due to his lack of ability to produce. 

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not a failure if they move Becton to RT and he is dominant there.

If Becton can stay healthy and dominate at RT then he shouldn't have a problem doing so at LT. I would think the move to RT with many isn't performance base right?

Why does it matter? If they are both healthy and playing LT and RT, the Jets are a better team regardless of which plays where.

Not true, Fant is not as good at RT. He signed here explicitly saying he came because he wanted to play LT, then we drafted Becton. Fant wasn’t just great, he was elite protecting a clueless QB who holds the ball too long and doesn’t know what he’s doing. Fant has the LT position locked down barring injury in my opinion. Moving him to RT would be for no other reason than stubborn pride on the part of the FO.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

It’s all about the OL.  Sustaining drives, and keeping the defense fresh.  

The top-4 rushing offenses in the NFL are: PHI (163 yd/game), IND (154), CLE (144), TEN (138). 

Think about that. The league leader is not Jonathan Taylor’s team, or Derrick Henry’s, or Chubb/Hunt/Johnson’s; It’s Philly: with Miles Sanders, Jordan Howard off the street, Scott Boston, and slower than Zach Wilson (4.44), Jalen Hurts (4.59). 

PHI is a tentative WC as of this post, because of their top-10 (9th) defense, and rushing game.  Sh*t man, we already have a better passing offense than they do (18th vs 26th) and they’re in the playoffs. 

We have the RB. WE NEED OL. 

A lot of those rushing yards come from Hurts (740, 53 per game) despite his 40 time.  And Philly being a team that is barely in the playoff picture at the moment isn’t a huge endorsement, but point taken.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of those rushing yards come from Hurts (740, 53 per game) despite his 40 time.  And Philly being a team that is barely in the playoff picture at the moment isn’t a huge endorsement, but point taken.

I hear you, but how many Pepsi Zero Sugar of the Week did Jalen Hurts win?

• Haha 3

Fant had a great year protecting the QB’s blind side which is the #1 priority of a LT. Becton was getting eaten alive in training camp by Lawson but when healthy has proven to be a road grader in the running game which is more in line with a RT. I think the switch strengthens both positions and then you can pick up a swing T in the draft for protection.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PepPep said:

Lets just clarify a few inaccuracies that I'm seeing getting convoluted in the discussion here...

1. Moses is a FA next year. We should assume he is gone. 

2. Fant is in his final year but still under contract next year. The Jets could extend him, or not. But lets assume he will be a Jet. 

3. This will be a coaching decision. JD is not going to meddle in who Saleh starts at which position for Crist's sake- especially if both guys are starting in one capacity or another. 

4. As an extension of #3, Becton isn't going to 'pout' and 'mail it in' if he doesn't get to start at LT. What are you people talking about?? That is the most absurd diva thing I have ever heard and nothing tells me Becton will do that. 

5. The idea that the coaching staff 'doesn't have faith' in Becton is absurd. Where is this coming from? Because they decided to shut him down after his injury? Really? You'll need more than that. If a guy like that- a cornerstone of your o-line, nearly top 10 pick (drafted 11th), gets hurt and goes under the knife, maybe you give him as much time as possible to fully recover and get into game shape, even if it means you shut him down for the last couple of non-consequential games. Becton is a top end talent and he showed a ton of promise his rookie year. The coaches are excited to get him back on the field 100% healthy. If they feel like playing him at RT makes the overall O-line better, so be it. 

I rarely agree with 100% of such a long post, but yes to all of this. Fant & Becton will start. Moses is gone unless he’s unexpectedly cheap again. The highest they’re drafting another OT in 2022 is day 3, if even that. A 3rd-year guy who missed his whole 2nd season, and whose veteran fill-in had an excellent season, isn’t going to mail in anything over getting moved to RT any more than Wirfs has pouted at playing RT his whole career so far. As though the path to becoming the starting LT again is by pouting over the guy who did so well in his absence.

He took longer than expected (and longer than desired) to heal. Once it had reached this point there was little upside to putting him back out there after so much time off. He’d need 2+ weeks in full practice to get into game shape and by then the season’s over. If Fant had been ruled out for the rest of the season, instead of just getting scratched for 1 game, then maybe they’d have activated him. But he wasn’t getting activated and starting that same half-week anyway.

I think they’ll lean towards moving Becton, seeing how Fant wasn’t that great at RT himself, but as you say it’ll be the coaches’ decision. If motivation is something they’re looking for with Becton, it seems a relative demotion and making him earn the LT job back is superior to simply handing it to him.

Regardless, Becton’s starting next year; unless he sustains a new injury first, I suppose. Looking at this roster and all its needs, drafting an OT at #4 is some dumbass **** of an idea. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think we should start Fant after an extension. I think history suggests that the Jets will play Becton because he is a 1st rounder. So I voted Becton. I would prefer Becton try the right side.

If you studied prior Jets decisions, with the Johnsons in the room you have to assume this is the case.  I don’t think they are good at recognizing mistakes and then pivoting.  They hold their cards much too long. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I rarely agree with 100% of such a long post, but yes to all of this. Fant & Becton will start. Moses is gone unless he’s unexpectedly cheap again. The highest they’re drafting another OT in 2022 is day 3, if even that. A 3rd-year guy who missed his whole 2nd season, and whose veteran fill-in had an excellent season, isn’t going to mail in anything over getting moved to RT any more than Wirfs has pouted at playing RT his whole career so far. As though the path to becoming the starting LT again is by pouting over the guy who did so well in his absence.

He took longer than expected (and longer than desired) to heal. Once it had reached this point there was little upside to putting him back out there after so much time off. He’d need 2+ weeks in full practice to get into game shape and by then the season’s over. If Fant had been ruled out for the rest of the season, instead of just getting scratched for 1 game, then maybe they’d have activated him. But he wasn’t getting activated and starting that same half-week anyway.

I think they’ll lean towards moving Becton, seeing how Fant wasn’t that great at RT himself, but as you say it’ll be the coaches’ decision. If motivation is something they’re looking for with Becton, it seems a relative demotion and making him earn the LT job back is superior to simply handing it to him.

Regardless, Becton’s starting next year; unless he sustains a new injury first, I suppose. Looking at this roster and all its needs, drafting an OT at #4 is some dumbass **** of an idea. 

It is a much easier investment to extend Fant and use the draft picks for other needs.  If Fant gets 2 more years (3 total)we can assume the out year is year 3 when Becton can try to play LT again. The Orlando Brown plan.  

But the BPA could likely be an LT when the Jets pick.  A trade down where we can draft a C, WR, LB, etc is a better path 

The priority is protecting our QB and giving him time in the pocket. The OL the first half of the season was a revolving door the second half it steadily improved and Wilson started to settle down some. The most important position group is the OL at this point shore it up by any means necessary. We all know games are won in the trenches. 

Becton is this team’s LT . When healthy he’s been good. Now it’s up to him to get in the gym and lead (he’s supposed to be a team leader) by example.

Moses, this guy was a steal of a signing. He’s a solid of a RT that you can find and said the right things yesterday regarding wanting to stay and the state of the franchise. It’ll take something like a 15million/ year to keep him around. 
I say sign him 4 years. We have the cap space and it’ll send a message to other free agents and the league that this team is willing to invest/ reward good players internally.

Fant: he’s the odd man out but is signed at 9million next year. I’d trade him. I think he’d fetch a 3rd maybe even a 2nd to some team desperate for a tackle. Who knows, he maybe is worth more, picks wise.
take that pick and draft a tackle which will study and learn behind Moses  and Becton.

by the way Fant is 29 and Moses is 30… not much of a difference age wise. But Moses is the more natural RT between the two.

so in conclusion, you only increase your cap expense by 6million or so but have added draft capital to replenish and deepen your tackle personnel.

have at it!

1 hour ago, varjet said:

It is a much easier investment to extend Fant and use the draft picks for other needs.  If Fant gets 2 more years (3 total)we can assume the out year is year 3 when Becton can try to play LT again. The Orlando Brown plan.  

But the BPA could likely be an LT when the Jets pick.  A trade down where we can draft a C, WR, LB, etc is a better path 

The Orlando Brown plan is a bit different, though. Brown was a 3rd round pick, not a 3rd overall pick. The Jets aren't staying pat and drafting a tackle at #4 or wherever they start out. No way. 

And they'd have to trade down more than a few slots - from their second round 1 pick - to draft an underweight center in round 1. 

WR or LB I could definitely see. If they stay way up high I guess EDGE, too, just because of positional importance and value. Also the team needs more than 'not too shabby for a late round pick' at every position in the secondary so a S or CB is also possible.

Keep in mind, though, this is all well before the combine moves things around - as it always does - and before free agency. The roster on draft day will already have at least a handful of starter changes from the roster today, so the 'need' list will likewise alter.

I watched a girl dislocate her knee cap in 8th grade basketball the second game of the school season.  

She never wanted to miss school ball or an AAU season. She never got surgery and basically played year round all the way through high school. 

She never missed more than the part of the game after it would dislocate again.  I know of at least 4 more dislocations.   Tears, extreme pain, help off the court.  

I’d assume she was done, and then she’d be back out there the next game a few days later playing at the same level. 

I’m not saying this was smart injury management, but that girl would not have missed the time this guy has post surgery.  

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Becton is this team’s LT . When healthy he’s been good. Now it’s up to him to get in the gym and lead (he’s supposed to be a team leader) by example.

Moses, this guy was a steal of a signing. He’s a solid of a RT that you can find and said the right things yesterday regarding wanting to stay and the state of the franchise. It’ll take something like a 15million/ year to keep him around. 
I say sign him 4 years. We have the cap space and it’ll send a message to other free agents and the league that this team is willing to invest/ reward good players internally.

Fant: he’s the odd man out but is signed at 9million next year. I’d trade him. I think he’d fetch a 3rd maybe even a 2nd to some team desperate for a tackle. Who knows, he maybe is worth more, picks wise.
take that pick and draft a tackle which will study and learn behind Moses  and Becton.

by the way Fant is 29 and Moses is 30… not much of a difference age wise. But Moses is the more natural RT between the two.

so in conclusion, you only increase your cap expense by 6million or so but have added draft capital to replenish and deepen your tackle personnel.

have at it!

Don't understand this logic at all but as I said in a previous post it mirrors the way NFL execs think. Fant was an upper end LT and it still not old and could be a fixture for 5+ years. Becton showed potential but did not play as well as Fant did this year in his 1st, and missed essentially his entire second. Then you want to trade im on top of that? Befuddling. I extend Fant, and play Becton at RT or even consider trading him. At some point the NFL should be a meritocracy.

23 hours ago, undertow said:

I would be interested in how Becton would react to being moved to the right side...would he embrace the change and act like a pro or sulk and mail it in?

dude already basically mailed it in. he moves or he is done. he has no leverage.....he sucked hairy ballbags at LT this year

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

dude already basically mailed it in. he moves or he is done. he has no leverage.....he sucked hairy ballbags at LT this year

The reason I posted that is because it was becoming apparent he's not very motivated and not a football guy....might be a better idea to cut bait before his value is nothing. 

On 12/30/2021 at 4:32 PM, Beerfish said:

Seattle knew they needed a lot of cap space for 36  year old duane brown and to give Jamal his monster deal.  Thus they had to let Fant go to fa. 

We traded Jamal for a starting left tackle, two firsts including a top 10 first and a third round pick.

Booo ya!

And ironically 2 of those picks from the trade were for AVT, so we rebuilt the left side of our oline with the Adams trade and still have their top 10 pick for 2022.

• Upvote 1