So why are Bowl games so vastly vastly vastly vastly more dangerous than any other football game?

Beerfish

I hear the arguments (and i consider them lame), that all bowl games cept the final four are now just glorified exhibition games, yada yada yada.  You don't need one extra week to practice your 3 cone.  I want football players that say 'Hey this is my  team and I want to help them win perhaps the last game they will ever play.'

Oh I'll play game 9 or 10 versus west tuskegee state college but play against a real team week later?  Oh noes! I might get hurt?! 

May as well pull a Sewel or Chase and just sit out your entire final year.

I know I'll get lectured on this as I bring it up yearly but it bugs me.  And yeah I am stuck in the past so get off my damn lawn.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Beerfish said:

What an utter wild and bizarre game between Tennessee and Purdue.

Tennessee being called for pass  interference on pretty well every second play.  (Refs have been terrible)

Purdue faking an injury on every second play.

I’ve seen UT doing it as well.

after seeing that Payne Durham kid from Purdue, I want him at TE next year hah

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I hope a guy like Karlaftis is happy sitting on his couch watching his team maybe lose a wild game because he 'had to prepare' for the draft.

If he was my kid, I’d have told him to sit out weeks ago. Do what Jadeveon Clowney and others have. Get enough on tape then get out of Dodge.

Ever since that South Carolina RB he played with wrecked his knee and went from a 1st round pick to losing any chance of an NFL career, a lot of these guys have gotten smart. Good for them.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If he was my kid, I’d have told him to sit out weeks ago. Do what Jadeveon Clowney and others have. Get enough on tape then get out of Dodge.

Ever since that South Carolina RB he played with wrecked his knee and went from a 1st round pick to losing any chance of an NFL career, a lot of these guys have gotten smart. Good for them.

weeks...how may weeks, at what point do you just shut it down.

I mean part of being a player in a team sport is a resposiblity to your team mates and program.

As I said in the other thread, i hope karlaftis is happy sitting on his couch watching his teammates fight their ass off in this bowl game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

What an utter wild and bizarre game between Tennessee and Purdue.

Tennessee being called for pass  interference on pretty well every second play.  (Refs have been terrible)

Purdue faking an injury on every second play.

Fun game to watch but just putrid defense...I think there was like 4 80 yard plays in the last 5 minutes.   Also terrible call by the refs blowing the play dead on the Vols last running play.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I mean part of being a player in a team sport is a resposiblity to your team mates and program.

As I said in the other thread, i hope karlaftis is happy sitting on his couch watching his teammates fight their ass off in this bowl game.

The media celebrates guys sitting out now....watching the Pitt game and they are praising Pickett saying " he's just protecting that bag"....it's so cringe.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, undertow said:

The media celebrates guys sitting out now....watching the Pitt game and they are praising Pickett saying " he's just protecting that bag"....it's so cringe.

I also don;t care what anyone says even these nothing bowl games can have an effect on your draft spot.

A guy like pickett puts up huge yards, tds and a win in this game is going to help him, he is not friggin trevor lawrence.

Same with Karlaftis, if he played that game and racked off 4 sacks then people might start looking at him closer to the top two guys.

If it is all about injuries then half the players in the nat playoffs should sit out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I also don;t care what anyone says even these nothing bowl games can have an effect on your draft spot.

A guy like pickett puts up huge yards, tds and a win in this game is going to help him, he is not friggin trevor lawrence.

Same with Karlaftis, if he played that game and racked off 4 sacks then people might start looking at him closer to the top two guys.

If it is all about injuries then half the players in the nat playoffs should sit out.

Yeah it makes very little sense for guys who aren't projected 1st rounders to sit out.  Tons of guys have been sitting out and entering the transfer portal also. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I will always be on the side of unpaid players sitting out bowl games. 1 play can turn a guy like Karlaftis from guaranteed millionaire to never playing again. Bowl games serve no purpose other than lining school pockets so sitting out is fine by me.

And yet I can guarantee all sorts of scouts are watching these games.  How is this any worse than watching Bama kill the citadel by 60 points and then at the end of the year marveling at their qbs stats.

A bowl game of two teams of close ability is sure as heck of more value than half the reg season games of total mismatches.

Why is a bowl game so so so much worse than any  of the 11 reg season games.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Coaches do it all the time - they leave their team before the bowls and just go take another job.  There’s no guarantee of loyalty from your coach then if I don’t wanna play in the Transperfect Music City bowl and risk injury, I’m not gonna ruin my chance to be, potentially, a 1st overall pick in the draft.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Marcus Lattimore?  He got drafted by SF in the 4th round (131st overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft.  I don't see any stats though.  Maybe he never recovered enough to play.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LattMa00.htm

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And yet I can guarantee all sorts of scouts are watching these games.  How is this any worse than watching Bama kill the citadel by 60 points and then at the end of the year marveling at their qbs stats.

A bowl game of two teams of close ability is sure as heck of more value than half the reg season games of total mismatches.

My guess (and I have no idea if this is accurate) is that their scholarship money is contingent on them playing in regular season games but maybe not bowl games.  

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The starters don’t really play that much in those lopsided games.  The big program will play over 100 kids against those other teams.   

Anyway, I don’t have any issue what so ever if these kids opt out.  The real value of the non-playoff bowl games is for the kids who are returning the following year.   It’s another two weeks of practice and coaches will play some different kids than they had during the regular season.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Marcus Lattimore?  He got drafted by SF in the 4th round (131st overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft.  I don't see any stats though.  Maybe he never recovered enough to play.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LattMa00.htm

Yeah. They drafted him knowing he’d be out at least a year. I’m not sure but I don’t think he ever played again?

Meh. Put me with the Danny Kannel's of the world.

6 team playoff with top 2 teams getting a bye. Rose Bowl is always the final, and the other 4 can rotate. Get rid of the rest of the nonsense and add an extra conference or power 5 matchup as an extra week if one more game is that important.

Don't blame the players one bit for sitting out the Duke Mayo Bowls of the world.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2021 at 8:16 AM, sec101row23 said:

The starters don’t really play that much in those lopsided games.  The big program will play over 100 kids against those other teams.   

Anyway, I don’t have any issue what so ever if these kids opt out.  The real value of the non-playoff bowl games is for the kids who are returning the following year.   It’s another two weeks of practice and coaches will play some different kids than they had during the regular season.  

look no further than Coral, luckily it was only a sprain but imagine severely fracturing his ankle?  Kids being talked about as a top 20 pick maybe.  

Then the flip side of this is like. you said, the value to those backup players.  Look at OSU.  Smith-njigba and Harrison JR. get valuable time on the field with Stroud and BALL OUT. Builds a tonnnn of confidence going into next season and gets those guys valuable game time reps against a quality Utah Defense.  

I dont care if players want to sit out these bowl games, if its the Nat. Champ playoffs?  maybe i care because youre playing for something, but do i care if a kid thats about to potentially make MILLIONS as a first round pick sits out the Pennzoil Slickback Oil Spill Bowl? no not really. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/30/2021 at 4:24 PM, Beerfish said:

I hear the arguments (and i consider them lame), that all bowl games cept the final four are now just glorified exhibition games, yada yada yada.  You don't need one extra week to practice your 3 cone.  I want football players that say 'Hey this is my  team and I want to help them win perhaps the last game they will ever play.'

Oh I'll play game 9 or 10 versus west tuskegee state college but play against a real team week later?  Oh noes! I might get hurt?! 

May as well pull a Sewel or Chase and just sit out your entire final year.

I know I'll get lectured on this as I bring it up yearly but it bugs me.  And yeah I am stuck in the past so get off my damn lawn.

I think they need to re-think the whole bowl thing. If it it was a playoff game, everyone would play, but, like it or not, a bowl game is very much an exhibition game, and it is treated that way by coaches and players. We have coaches leaving programs before their bowl game all of the time. Heck, Pitt not only didn't have Pickett, they also didn't have their OC who left for another OC job. The bottom line is that the Bowl game is the reward for the players hard work during the season. They get there a week early and enjoy all of the pre-event festivities, and get a lot of swag from sponsors and the like. It is a fun event and a reward. Only the fans think that the non-playoff bowl games should be taken seriously. So, Pitt lost their bowl game. What does that mean? Nothing. They are still ACC champs. The win in the conference championship game is what matters. You know how you can tell? All of the players and coaches showed up for that game.

Also, I do think that the seniors with no visions of an NFL career who are playing their final game, and on a big, nationally televised stage, do actually present some risk to the players with an NFL future. What no name DE or LB wouldn't want to have a framed pic of them rocking Kenny Pickett's world on a blind side sack. I'm not saying they'd want to hurt him, but c'mon man, it is their last football game, they are not going to leave anything in the tank. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2021 at 7:35 PM, Green Ghost said:

Totally agree. It’s surprising that Jet fans don’t fully appreciate  thar Joe Namath’s career horizons were significantly lowered because he tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl his senior year.

On 12/30/2021 at 7:46 PM, Beerfish said:

football is their job and how they will earn their livelihood and not this romantic idea you have in your head.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1