*** College Football Game Day 12/31 *** - The playoffs begin

Beerfish

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

At this point I haven’t even thought about where all these guys fall.   There aren’t many elite prospects at the top of this draft, that’s why you are going to see very little “consensus” with the first 8-10 picks.   The highest graded guys will probably be a center and a safety, positions you don’t really draft that high.   Hutch and Thibs aren’t Bosa, Garrett and Young type players so there isn’t great value there.   I think everyone is going to want to trade out of the top of the draft, there just isn’t very much difference between 1 and 20 IMO.     If you can’t trade out then right now I’m “reaching” for edge and WR maybe even a LBer like Dean.  

Have a feeling that the FSU kid and USC guy are both gonna be  big edge risers as the pre draft process gets going.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

At this point I haven’t even thought about where all these guys fall.   There aren’t many elite prospects at the top of this draft, that’s why you are going to see very little “consensus” with the first 8-10 picks.   The highest graded guys will probably be a center and a safety, positions you don’t really draft that high.   Hutch and Thibs aren’t Bosa, Garrett and Young type players so there isn’t great value there.   I think everyone is going to want to trade out of the top of the draft, there just isn’t very much difference between 1 and 20 IMO.     If you can’t trade out then right now I’m “reaching” for edge and WR maybe even a LBer like Dean.  

I feel like the meat of the edge class is in the second round and - especially if the manage to move down a little - wonder if the idea of edge and WR or LB could become WR and LB with edge in the second round.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I feel like the meat of the edge class is in the second round and - especially if the manage to move down a little - wonder if the idea of edge and WR or LB could become WR and LB with edge in the second round.

Who do you like at edge in the 2nd?

I’ve historically felt like edge was one position where it was tough to get impact players after the first.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Between Wilson, Williams, Burks and Olave….. who’s your pick?

You have Dean over Lloyd at LB

For the Jets, Burks is probably the best overall fit since he brings size/speed and ability to work in traffic.  You can make a great case for Williams’ speed and length.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

For the Jets, Burks is probably the best overall fit since he brings size/speed and ability to work in traffic.  You can make a great case for Williams’ speed and length.   

I was impressed/surprised by Williams’ work over the middle last night, making tough catches inside the hashes. Doesn’t seem to be that prototypical speed guy who runs downfield all night. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was impressed/surprised by Williams’ work over the middle last night, making tough catches inside the hashes. Doesn’t seem to be that prototypical speed guy who runs downfield all night. 

Agreed.   There’s more to his game than just speed and going long.  He has some route running potential, and he’s 6’2”.   He’s definitely intriguing.  The concern is that he had only 15 receptions in his two previous seasons at OSU.   

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Addison is gonna be a star...not sure if he's a great fit with Moore tho. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

i've said it for a couple months now - thibodeaux and hutchinson don't make sense to me as consensus top 1 and 2 picks.  they just don't have the constant production to warrant it.

Agree and players like Karlaftis are being pushed way too far up the board. Seems this year is being framed as the EDGE year and to be honest I hope we skip all of them. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don;t think this is a particularity good draft in many areas and thus of course this is a make it or break draft for the jets with lots of resources.

Funny - I watched both games yesterday in hopes I'd get excited about any prospect.

Not one.

I'm not even sure I'd draft Hutchinson if he fell.

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Burks is bigger than all and someone here that hand size is 5X. can he be our Metcalf or AJ Brown?

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

If you’re drafting Thibodeaux first overall you are doing so based largely on his freshman season 3 years ago, because his last two seasons haven’t shown that type of player IMO.  That’s a scary proposition.  

I think you have a better idea of what you are getting in Hutchinson based on his performances this season.   I don’t love either guy to be honest.   

I get a Chris Long vibe from Hutchinson. Good college player, will likely have a long career in the NFL but will never be dominant there. I don’t see the flexibility needed to be a dominant pass rusher at the NFL level.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Who do you like at edge in the 2nd?

I’ve historically felt like edge was one position where it was tough to get impact players after the first.

I think it’s mostly the way this edge class is currently projected - especially if Hutchison - a late rising senior - and Thibodeaux are off the board by the time the Jets pick. You’ve got Thibodeaux and Karlaftis projected off their freshman years two years ago but without outstanding production, a raw but productive Ojabo.

I’m sure some guys will end up in the first round but Jermaine Johnson and Cameron Thomas are coming off big years, Myjai Sanders, Nik Bonitto, and Arnold Ebiketie have the tools to be productive rotational pieces and develop and Ebiketie had a solid year, Logan Hall I like behind JFM, Isaiah Foskey’s pretty solid and has been productive, Kingsley Enagbare has nice tools. I know people really like Drake Jackson too. There are other guys too like Zach Harrison who probably has some of the best tools in the class.

I think there are just so many guys in this class that especially if Hutchinson and Thibodeaux are off the board - if you want big, small, tools, production - it’s probably going to be there in the second round. I think because I don’t think the top of this edge class is where the other top edges we’ve seen, that kind of ripples down until that second round area where the class really shows its depth. Ojabo is the most interesting to me of the other guys although I also do wonder where Thomas lands.

A lot of the draft being tricky is a function of the Jets being in no man’s land pretty high in the draft too.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Funny - I watched both games yesterday in hopes I'd get excited about any prospect.

Not one.

I'm not even sure I'd draft Hutchinson if he fell.

Here is why this draft overall is not good for Jets.

I think there is pass rusher depth but I do not see a Bosa or Watt.   The top guys are iffy.  I think Hutchinson at least has a higher floor than others.

There is a premium left tackle but we are hamstrung because we just took a LT two years ago.  Like it or not the fact we took Becton will have an influence on our pick.

There is a premium safety but and we need one but that is simply a low priority position imo

There are a couple of good CBs but our need is not as high as people maybe think in that area.

There are some good WRs but there is no awesome total 1 guy.

There is a crop of meh QB's and possibly some good vets being available so a trade down for a bounty is not likely.

There are some highly rated guards but we just used resources to get one high last year.

The good news is there seems to be a lot of good looking TE prospects, no pitts but big upgrades on what we have.  (Douglas better take at least two)

As usual the draft list will get shaken up big time after work outs.  Some QB will rise to be over drafted, some skill guys will put up eye popping numbers.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Here is why this draft overall is not good for Jets.

I think there is pass rusher depth but I do not see a Bosa or Watt.   The top guys are iffy.  I think Hutchinson at least has a higher floor than others.

There is a premium left tackle but we are hamstrung because we just took a LT two years ago.  Like it or not the fact we took Becton will have an influence on our pick.

There is a premium safety but and we need one but that is simply a low priority position imo

There are a couple of good CBs but our need is not as high as people maybe think in that area.

There are some good WRs but there is no awesome total 1 guy.

There is a crop of meh QB's and possibly some good vets being available so a trade down for a bounty is not likely.

There are some highly rated guards but we just used resources to get one high last year.

The good news is there seems to be a lot of good looking TE prospects, no pitts but big upgrades on what we have.  (Douglas better take at least two)

As usual the draft list will get shaken up big time after work outs.  Some QB will rise to be over drafted, some skill guys will put up eye popping numbers.

Agree, we have so much draft capital and yet the draft does not seem to align super well for us. Seems like there is no QB you have to get in the Top 3 or so, which opens up the possibility of maybe a trade with the Seattle pick. 

I may in the minority as it seems this board is fixated with EDGE but developing Zach remains our #1 priority. I handle the draft very much like last year unless there is a standout defensive player that is overwhelmingly BPA.

I still like taking Linderbaum early. Yes, Connor is good but with Linderbaum under center and Connor moved to RG our OL could become elite with something like: Fant-AVT-Lind-McGov-Moses/Becton

TE is a must too. We need to get the Top TE somehow and maybe the Top 2. RB and WR are still good picks as well.

Say we go offense first 4 picks. Well we still have a ton of capital to get defense and we can target some defense in FA.

Build the offense, protect Zach and let him realize his potential and then go fix the defense.

• Upvote 2

I follow Jack Coan not because I’m a ND fan but because like me he’s from Long Island. So far he’s having a pretty good game ND ahead 14-7 in first quarter. He’s going into the NFL draft in 2022 some projections have him not getting drafted and being a top FA signing. One website has him rated 13 among draft eligible QBs. You’d think considering his success with two major programs he’d be drafted. Even if in the 6th or 7th round. Hard to get any opportunity to play if undrafted or low pick. He could have a better chance for an NFL career starting in Canada where he could get a chance to start games and build a resume and learn how to play instead of being on a PS.  

• Upvote 1