Tony Pauline’s latest on Becton

maury77

I think we need to all let the Becton situation play out.  Why some posters take extreme pleasure when Jets players fail is pretty disturbing.  And for what? Just to say "I was right?"  That is pretty sick.  Becton's future with the Jets will be determined by how he approaches the offseason in preparation for 2022. If I were Saleh, I'd force him to stay in NJ and get in shape in Florham Park under the supervision of the training staff.  Why is everyone so quick to write him off?  What does that prove?  It is extremely premature.  Why do so many Jets fans get more satisfaction from the team's failures than its success?  Do you people root for natural disasters too?  Are you COVID fans?  Unbelievable.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Erik Williams was a mammoth who struggled with his weight and then got in the game and played like crazed dog. If Becton were the toughest guy on the field you’d deal. You can’t take yourself out of games as a left tackle. Even more so when Ferguson was the last high profile LT Jets fans remember.

Dog, Aikman had to scream at Erik Williams every game to wake him up. Jimmy Johnson was a psych major in college who knew how to lead a program. Where has Saleh ever had to be the bad guy in a discipline situation? Nowhere. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dog, Aikman had to scream at Erik Williams every game to wake him up. Jimmy Johnson was a psych major in college who knew how to lead a program. Where has Saleh ever had to be the bad guy in a discipline situation? Nowhere. 

I’d like to see Zach yell at someone so maybe we’re on to something

• Haha 3

Pauline says they are "fed up" with him but doesn't really expand besides saying he has a track record of "tapping out" at practice.

Is that really it? Surely there is a better reason than that? The guy was terrific last year as a rookie. He got hurt in week 1. He's a big man so he's been slow to recover. 

I don't see a good reason to get rid of a guy you just drafted in the 1st round over this. Just my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Pauline says they are "fed up" with him but doesn't really expand besides saying he has a track record of "tapping out" at practice.

Is that really it? Surely there is a better reason than that? The guy was terrific last year as a rookie. He got hurt in week 1. He's a big man so he's been slow to recover. 

I don't see a good reason to get rid of a guy you just drafted in the 1st round over this. Just my opinion. 

The team motto is "All gas no brake".

Becton 'tapping out' doesn't quite fit.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

dude spent all of training camp this year getting beat like a drum and then he sucked in the games he played and went out for the year. i'd be surprised if he makes a comeback next year. if so it will be at right tackle because dude is sh*t at pass blocking

He played what a quarter of football?  Wasnt beat at least 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

was only really good at run blocking. his pass blocking is garbage

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

dude is soft and he got beat all freaking summer by lawson to the point where he made lawson seem like the second coming of lawrence taylor

Camp is when you work on stuff.  Making Lawson look good or bad isnt the point.  And ignores that he is good.  So dont know how that tells anyone hes soft.  Kind of like the fans that keep saying hes fat and lazy when the videos show how wrong that is

Ugh and youre still wrong.  He didn't get beat in the portion of one game he played as you stated.  

Thats all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

What has Douglas done that leads anybody to believe he's going to draw battle lines with the coaching staff over Becton just because he drafted him? Or that he's going to stay married to Wilson too long if it's not working out? He fired the guy who hired him and cut Zuniga after one year. I don't understand the assumption that he is going to be prone to doubling down on mistakes.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We have Fant under contract for another year, and we could re-sign Moses, while keeping Becton. 

Yeah I agree. I actually want the team to draft Evan Neal, let him play guard next year and then slide him out to right tackle after next year. If Becton continues to have issues you can move on from Becton after next year and let Neal play left tackle in 2023. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think we need to all let the Becton situation play out.  Why some posters take extreme pleasure when Jets players fail is pretty disturbing.  And for what? Just to say "I was right?"  That is pretty sick.  Becton's future with the Jets will be determined by how he approaches the offseason in preparation for 2022. If I were Saleh, I'd force him to stay in NJ and get in shape in Florham Park under the supervision of the training staff.  Why is everyone so quick to write him off?  What does that prove?  It is extremely premature.  Why do so many Jets fans get more satisfaction from the team's failures than its success?  Do you people root for natural disasters too?  Are you COVID fans?  Unbelievable.  

I see the same as you. Some Jets fans LOVE to see a player fail so they can satisfy their ego  and be right. I don't understand how everyone forgot how dominant Becton was last year. And also he is hurt, this year it isn't like he was benched for poor play!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, you said it yourself—Saleh ran a soft camp and he’s been a weak fish in-season. A guy like Becton—who clearly needs to be pushed—is going to feast on a mush like that. Say what we want about Becton being soft, but this is a bad harbinger for what’s to come with this staff. 

I’d think with a millionaire grown man the best way to push him would be by saying if you don’t do things the way we want then you won’t play. Could be part of him not coming back this year.

It’s tricky with Becton who seems like he doesn’t love football. Maybe I’m wrong but just seems to be a little flashy, miss snaps, late coming back this year. I don’t think you’re going to motivate him by yelling at him. Presumably he’s playing for a paycheck and that’s the best way to motivate.

If that’s the best way to motivate him they’re probably better cutting bait than they are benching - otherwise they’re just decreasing his value - though a move to right tackle is probably a more reasonable middle ground. And after the Adams and Darnold trades I’d think a team would think twice before taking on someone the Jets don’t want.

• Upvote 1

A huge man who is not great at pass blocking but can mail in run blocking should probably go to guard not tackle.  Right guard in this case since we are set st left.  Plug in a new center and we have one hell of an offensive line.  That’s what I’d do at least.  If it pisses him off because tackles make more dough than all the better.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

What has Douglas done that leads anybody to believe he's going to draw battle lines with the coaching staff over Becton just because he drafted him? Or that he's going to stay married to Wilson too long if it's not working out? He fired the guy who hired him and cut Zuniga after one year. I don't understand the assumption that he is going to be prone to doubling down on mistakes.

I agree with this. If Becton really is as hopeless as everyone seems to think, he’s not an important enough hill to die on  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

He’s a ghost but it seems he’s not scared to get rid of bad players early 

• Upvote 2