Tony Pauline’s latest on Becton

maury77

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

"Alright, Mekhi! This is the NFL, and you're a big part of our plan moving forward. We have a conditioning plan for you, the health and welfare staff have prepared a nutrition plan for you to optimize your performance! We're going to invest as much time and resources into helping you achieve as much greatness as possible, and we want you to be our 15 year Left Tackle,  a Pro Bowler, and maybe a Hall of Fame player! What do you say! You ready??!"

"Yeah, shiiit, man. I'm HONGRY. Lemme grab some Bell, and then I gotta go see the trainer again. My, uh, feet hurt today and I'm honestly a bit hung over. 

Lemme see if I feel better next week. But, yeah, uh, thanks coach! It's gonna be great!"

https://nypost.com/2021/12/31/damien-woodys-warning-for-mekhi-becton-with-bust-whispers-starting/

Incumbent on this CS and front office to reach out to Woody, Brick and Mangold(or people like that )  to talk to this big baby and read him the riot act. He can either put in the work and make a fortune for the next decade plus. Or he could be a bum on a bar stool back in Louisville the rest of his days. That may be outside of Saleh's comfort zone, but something like that has to happen. 

And really having spent a week in Louisville over the summer, you have to be a special kind of stupid to think that's a place you want to be. What a sheethouse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

"Alright, Mekhi! This is the NFL, and you're a big part of our plan moving forward. We have a conditioning plan for you, the health and welfare staff have prepared a nutrition plan for you to optimize your performance! We're going to invest as much time and resources into helping you achieve as much greatness as possible, and we want you to be our 15 year Left Tackle,  a Pro Bowler, and maybe a Hall of Fame player! What do you say! You ready??!"

"Yeah, shiiit, man. I'm HONGRY. Lemme grab some Bell, and then I gotta go see the trainer again. My, uh, feet hurt today and I'm honestly a bit hung over. 

Lemme see if I feel better next week. But, yeah, uh, thanks coach! It's gonna be great!"

11 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

A huge man who is not great at pass blocking but can mail in run blocking should probably go to guard not tackle.  Right guard in this case since we are set st left.  Plug in a new center and we have one hell of an offensive line.  That’s what I’d do at least.  If it pisses him off because tackles make more dough than all the better.  

Think there’s a reason you don’t often see 6’7 guards. Leverage becomes more of an issue with those DT’s.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, derp said:

I’d think with a millionaire grown man the best way to push him would be by saying if you don’t do things the way we want then you won’t play. Could be part of him not coming back this year.

It’s tricky with Becton who seems like he doesn’t love football. Maybe I’m wrong but just seems to be a little flashy, miss snaps, late coming back this year. I don’t think you’re going to motivate him by yelling at him. Presumably he’s playing for a paycheck and that’s the best way to motivate.

If that’s the best way to motivate him they’re probably better cutting bait than they are benching - otherwise they’re just decreasing his value - though a move to right tackle is probably a more reasonable middle ground. And after the Adams and Darnold trades I’d think a team would think twice before taking on someone the Jets don’t want.

If I’m the GM, and I deliver a physical talent like Becton to my coaching staff, and he goes out his rookie season and is a fringe Pro-Bowler, I’m expecting a new staff to motivate that guy to—if not stardom—to become an effective starter. If the coach I hired takes an entire draft class and decides he can’t work with any of those guys, I’m having some questions about my coach. Why are we giving Saleh a pass here? He’s an absolute nobody who has proven absolutely nothing as a coach at any point in his life. He was hired because Shanahan’s offense is a TOP monster whose defenses have to do the bare minimum to rank in the top ten. Who did he coach up? Joey Bosa? 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If I’m the GM, and I deliver a physical talent like Becton to my coaching staff, and he goes out his rookie season and is a fringe Pro-Bowler, I’m expecting a new staff to motivate that guy to—if not stardom—to become an effective starter. If the coach I hired takes an entire draft class and decides he can’t work with any of those guys, I’m having some questions about my coach. Why are we giving Saleh a pass here? He’s an absolute nobody who has proven absolutely nothing as a coach at any point in his life. He was hired because Shanahan’s offense is a TOP monster whose defenses have to do the bare minimum to rank in the top ten. Who did he coach up? Joey Bosa? 

Is Becton or Mims in the league in 3 years?

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess you’re getting back to the idea of motivating the players and if a guy is not going to be self motivated when given an opportunity to get deep into the eight figures in earnings, maybe nine figures in career earnings, I don’t really know what in the world a coach is going to say to change that.

I see a guy who halfassed it last year and pulled himself out of games but played pretty well for a terrible team and got praised a ton. So he said “this is easy”, took his foot off the gas a little, got whipped in camp, got injured, and hasn’t come back. He either wants to be an NFL player and earn a big second contract or he doesn’t.

If he wants that contract the worst thing to do is to just stick him back on the field. I feel like one of the big things with Parcells was that your job wasn’t safe. Becton’s job shouldn’t be safe. I can’t think of a better way to motivate than saying hey we don’t need you to finish the season and you might be out of a starting position next year unless you step up. To me that’s a more mature and effective tactic than any rah rah BS.

I don’t think many coaches move the needle in the positive direction at the NFL level - players > plays. This is the first time in a while the Jets have had a coach who at least doesn’t call games with his tail between his legs and that alone is an improvement. And the roster sucks. The jury is certainly out but I think the in game attitude is good for morale, culture, etc.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I guess you’re getting back to the idea of motivating the players and if a guy is not going to be self motivated when given an opportunity to get deep into the eight figures in earnings, maybe nine figures in career earnings, I don’t really know what in the world a coach is going to say to change that.

I see a guy who halfassed it last year and pulled himself out of games but played pretty well for a terrible team and got praised a ton. So he said “this is easy”, took his foot off the gas a little, got whipped in camp, got injured, and hasn’t come back. He either wants to be an NFL player and earn a big second contract or he doesn’t.

If he wants that contract the worst thing to do is to just stick him back on the field. I feel like one of the big things with Parcells was that your job wasn’t safe. Becton’s job shouldn’t be safe. I can’t think of a better way to motivate than saying hey we don’t need you to finish the season and you might be out of a starting position next year unless you step up. To me that’s a more mature and effective tactic than any rah rah BS.

I don’t think many coaches move the needle in the positive direction at the NFL level - players > plays. This is the first time in a while the Jets have had a coach who at least doesn’t call games with his tail between his legs and that alone is an improvement. And the roster sucks. The jury is certainly out but I think the in game attitude is good for morale, culture, etc.

This is a thing that’s going to have to play itself out, but I think the end result is that Saleh is a guy who wants to coach a pack of UDFA’s to .500 but has no idea how to coach a bunch of millionaires to perform at a championship level. Becton is a test case. I think the Jets have major, major problems in the CS and Douglas is going to have to sort it out before it’s too late.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Yeah I agree. I actually want the team to draft Evan Neal, let him play guard next year and then slide him out to right tackle after next year. If Becton continues to have issues you can move on from Becton after next year and let Neal play left tackle in 2023. 

I don't like the idea of taking a guard that high - even if he eventually plays tackle.

I feel like so long as we bring back Moses, we can sit tight for a year with Fant and Becton already under contract next year - push off the decision until we know more.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is a thing that’s going to have to play itself out, but I think the end result is that Saleh is a guy who wants to coach a pack of UDFA’s to .500 but has no idea how to coach a bunch of millionaires to perform at a championship level. Becton is a test case. I think the Jets have major, major problems in the CS and Douglas is going to have to sort it out before it’s too late.

Huh, you could be right but it’s not what I see. I see a horrific roster that basically needed to be completely turned over, a GM who gambled on talent in his first draft with limited access to the players and got burned, and a coaching staff that doesn’t think they need first round picks everywhere and is willing to try cheap young guys at positions they view as non-premium while the GM slowly churns through the roster via the draft and a couple of free agents a year who aren’t one year band aids. I think it’s been helpful in the secondary and a disaster at linebacker.

To me the coaches who want first round picks all across their side of the ball or to play every little role - not that the Jets have had any of those recently - are way more of a problem. Especially at this stage of the rebuild where they’re clearly trying to establish a competent offense while developing a young QB and saying **** it on defense.

To me holding Becton and Mims accountable is a good thing, not a bad thing. I still don’t know how you think they should be motivating him other than not playing him.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t he do that already?

Also what? Lol. He just wants to coach to be average. Whatchu doing???

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Why would anybody on the Jets staff tell Pauline this?  It doesnt help his market value.

He is injured and they dont even know what he can do.   Id be shocked if they traded him knowing he could still have a 10 plus year as an All Pro for someone else.

I hate these 'people are telling me' stuff. rumors and anonymous sources. When someone credible says something, let me know.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Huh, you could be right but it’s not what I see. I see a horrific roster that basically needed to be completely turned over, a GM who gambled on talent in his first draft with limited access to the players and got burned, and a coaching staff that doesn’t think they need first round picks everywhere and is willing to try cheap young guys at positions they view as non-premium while the GM slowly churns through the roster via the draft and a couple of free agents a year who aren’t one year band aids. I think it’s been helpful in the secondary and a disaster at linebacker.

To me the coaches who want first round picks all across their side of the ball or to play every little role - not that the Jets have had any of those recently - are way more of a problem. Especially at this stage of the rebuild where they’re clearly trying to establish a competent offense while developing a young QB and saying **** it on defense.

To me holding Becton and Mims accountable is a good thing, not a bad thing. I still don’t know how you think they should be motivating him other than not playing him.

I think there are a lot of players all across football who have Becton’s disposition but their coaching staffs find a way to turn them into productive players. Conversely, I think there are a ton of position coaches who aren’t comfortable exerting discipline upon players who don’t play on their side of the football, and Becton’s and Mim’s OC is a steeply overhired 33 year old. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Would be great if everyone was Braxton Berrios self starter. But that isn't reality. You are going to have to deal with a few hammerheads among your roster. Does anyone think Jimmy Johnson was overjoyed to deal with Michael Irvin, or Parcells with LT? Not saying you indulge stupid, but you also have to harness it when there's talent. Becton is huge. Someobdy has to get through to this numbskull, you cannot simply right off a top LT size wise like that. It's rank mismanagement. Every workplace has it's share of trobbing dicks. But if they can help you, you have to deal with them. 

Now if he in in fact so dumb he doesn't grasp his opportunity, that is a very different thing. Which is why the Woody article is much more concerning. Subtext being a guy who worked his ass off to have a long NFL career is questioning this kid's commitment. 

And the big red flag; why was Becton at Louisville, a bad program in a  weak conference. Heck, and idiot like Isiaih Wilson managed to get to Georgia. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Listen, back in the day all the old guys used to tell me before I got serious with a girl to go meet her mother, because that’s what she’s gonna look like when she gets old. I’m gonna apply that same advice here to Becton. You want to see Becton’s future, just look at his father.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The big question is when ...

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

This pick goes to the top of page one, column one, in the all time Jet busts compendium.

Nah, I think Gholston still owns that title. Maybe Sam's in the conversation... Coples... Darron Lee... Milliner...

Becton is far from being a bust. Had a decent rookie year. We'll see what we get next year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He played like 700 snaps and PFF thought he was pretty good iirc. Is he a big, immature baby? Probably. But he’s a talented one that they have a lot invested in. If I’m Douglas, I’m telling Saleh to stop being a bitch and make it work.

"No! You can't have a new tackle just because you don't like this one! Now finish your vegetables or we are not drafting a DE next draft!!"

15 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Would be great if everyone was Braxton Berrios self starter. But that isn't reality. You are going to have to deal with a few hammerheads among your roster. Does anyone think Jimmy Johnson was overjoyed to deal with Michael Irvin, or Parcells with LT? Not saying you indulge stupid, but you also have to harness it when there's talent. Becton is huge. Someobdy has to get through to this numbskull, you cannot simply right off a top LT size wise like that. It's rank mismanagement. Every workplace ha it's share of trobbing dicks. But if they can help you, you have to deal with them. 

Now if he in in fact so dumb he doesn't grasp his opportunity, that is a very different thing. 

Yep.  Lawrence Taylor, Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, and James Harrison all won SB's.  Some multiple SB's.  All are celebrated as winners rather than remembered for being sociopaths.  

Saleh would have tried to get any/all of them traded off the team.  

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Lawrence Taylor, Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, and James Harrison all won SB's.  Some multiple SB's.  All are celebrated as winners rather than remembered for being sociopaths.  

Saleh would have tried to get any/all of them traded off the team.  

All of those players needed to be held back, not motivated.  

• Upvote 1