Tony Pauline’s latest on Becton

maury77

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Stop. GM who didn’t vet his first two picks gets burned by headcases who fell for the trappings of the game. 

Becton failed a drug test before the combine and we still drafted him.

Saleh has to coach 53 guys, not just the ones he wants. I’d buy the argument that Becton was simply a mush if Becton didn’t play well last year. Saleh has never been a head coach anywhere at any point in his life until now. This is what that looks like. We’re going to be talking about dumping Quinnen Williams this time next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

4,000 members on this board were saying that on a daily basis!

That type of drafting, coupled with on-field performance, would have gotten another GM fired a year or two earlier.

He's talking about in 2019 after he'd run the offseason. He reported Mac was about to be fired, which was out there at the time. And then it happened.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I actually think his eating is like 4 or 5 on the list of issues. He’s on the verge of going full John Martin so letting him go now would be in the teams best interest, IMO.

IDK. He seems lazy and likes to eat. I don't get the sense that he is big timing, but who knows?

I remember when he was drafted, his father jumped up first and I thought that was MB. His father weighs like 600 lbs, and I was like "my god, we are screwed".  I was mistaken and relieved, but perhaps that initial reaction was just a premonition of things to come.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

He played like 700 snaps and PFF thought he was pretty good iirc. Is he a big, immature baby? Probably. But he’s a talented one that they have a lot invested in. If I’m Douglas, I’m telling Saleh to stop being a bitch and make it work.

You cant take yourself out of games with nicks as a pro lineman. I dont care how well you play.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

This exactly. Why would coaches want to talk to this guy?  He’s just throwing stuff against a wall with these rumors. It all depends on training camp anyway. Becton will have another chance to prove himself no matter what is said now. He’s young with potential and on a rookie deal with time before having to pick up any options  so he’s cheap. He’s also coming off an injury so without much trade value. We just have to be patient and see how he does next year. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

You cant take yourself out of games with nicks as a pro lineman. I dont care how well you play.

I mean, you said it yourself—Saleh ran a soft camp and he’s been a weak fish in-season. A guy like Becton—who clearly needs to be pushed—is going to feast on a mush like that. Say what we want about Becton being soft, but this is a bad harbinger for what’s to come with this staff. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

IDK. He seems lazy and likes to eat. I don't get the sense that he is big timing, but who knows?

I remember when he was drafted, his father jumped up first and I thought that was MB. His father weighs like 600 lbs, and I was like "my god, we are screwed".  I was mistaken and relieved, but perhaps that initial reaction was just a premonition of things to come.

The league has dealt with talented dudes who like to eat forever. It's more than that, IMO. The tapping out of games and being over dramatic is not a starting LT in the NFL. Parcells could always deal with the guys who put on weight in the offseason. Guys who tapped out of games would be off the team.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, undertow said:

I feel like Douglas just drafted talent in the 2020 draft and threw background checks and interviews out the window...maybe Covid had something to do with limited info but he drafted like a fan who watches Youtube clips and reads PFF.

JD had Macc's staff in place when he made the 2020 picks.  Macc probably did use Youtube.

Not excusing a poor draft, he should have done better.  But 2021 looks solid.  If 2022 comes in with similar results, you should discount the 2020 draft.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, addage said:

JD had Macc's staff in place when he made the 2020 picks.  Macc probably did use Youtube.

Not excusing a poor draft, he should have done better.  But 2021 looks solid.  If 2022 comes in with similar results, you should discount the 2020 draft.

Something was definitely off about the philosophy in 2020.....if he nails the upcoming draft and Wilson isn't a bust I'll throw 2020 out.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, undertow said:

I feel like Douglas just drafted talent in the 2020 draft and threw background checks and interviews out the window...maybe Covid had something to do with limited info but he drafted like a fan who watches Youtube clips and reads PFF.

He interviewed Mims twice though. 

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He played like 700 snaps and PFF thought he was pretty good iirc. Is he a big, immature baby? Probably. But he’s a talented one that they have a lot invested in. If I’m Douglas, I’m telling Saleh to stop being a bitch and make it work.

"Alright, Mekhi! This is the NFL, and you're a big part of our plan moving forward. We have a conditioning plan for you, the health and welfare staff have prepared a nutrition plan for you to optimize your performance! We're going to invest as much time and resources into helping you achieve as much greatness as possible, and we want you to be our 15 year Left Tackle,  a Pro Bowler, and maybe a Hall of Fame player! What do you say! You ready??!"

"Yeah, shiiit, man. I'm HONGRY. Lemme grab some Bell, and then I gotta go see the trainer again. My, uh, feet hurt today and I'm honestly a bit hung over. 

Lemme see if I feel better next week. But, yeah, uh, thanks coach! It's gonna be great!"

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

JD and Saleh are joined at the hip.  Media types love controversy.  No evidence of it here.

Whatever else Saleh is, he's not stupid.  He will do everything he can to get Becton ready for 2022.

But, ala Mims, he has shown he will not allow talent to be a substitute for performance in practice and games.  I expect we will see the same thing with Becton.  But having said that, he will do everything he can to convince Becton to "do the right thing".  Get in shape, lose the weight, be ready for OTA's, etc.

Maybe, JD brings back Moses and LDT, drafts an OG on day 2.  Has the OL set and Becton competes for playing time.  That would be consistent with Saleh's position as HC.

And finally, everyone needs to take a deep breath.  A lot of players go through some pretty deep troughs in their careers but still go on to be excellent.  We don't know what Becton will choose.  I think we are right to worry, but not to conclude either way.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Why would coaches want to talk to this guy?  He’s just throwing stuff against a wal

Pauline’s deal has always been that he hangs around these guys and they know him from the senior bowl and whatnot. Him and Cimini are the only two “reporters” who actually spend time at the facility trying to cultivate relationships. This is CYA season in the NFL, where scouts and assistants try to save their jobs and reputations. If you wanted to air out a grievance in public, you can either talk to Cimini or Pauline. It used to be Mehta, but Mehta hung himself.

• Upvote 1

Erik Williams was a mammoth who struggled with his weight and then got in the game and played like crazed dog. If Becton were the toughest guy on the field you’d deal. You can’t take yourself out of games as a left tackle. Even more so when Ferguson was the last high profile LT Jets fans remember.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1