Tony Pauline’s latest on Becton

maury77

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

you can't teach speed, size or motivation.    these guys need to want to play or they'll just be slugs.  becton got a pretty good contract so he's probably set for life.  hopefully the jets will be able to help this guys motivation and play.  failing that i'm guessing douglas will accommodate his wishes to go elsewhere.  some other team will gladly pick up bectons contract.  it won't be a first rounder but it will be pretty high.

If the Jets want to trade him, they best get him on the field  again. That said, I highly doubt Becton os going anywhere short of Becton demanding a trade. 

20 hours ago, undertow said:

Something was definitely off about the philosophy in 2020.....if he nails the upcoming draft and Wilson isn't a bust I'll throw 2020 out.

I remember after the draft saying I didn't like the "draft a little bit of everything" approach to JD's first draft. He had a chance in the 3rd round to pick up a 2nd OL and WR, to double down on those two key, weak positions and jump-start rebuilding those two areas.  And the draft was still strong there in the 3rd, but he did not.

And, as we've all discussed elsewhere, JD favored high upside/low floor type guys, but those guys are always risky. Becton and Davis were both talented, but raw. Mims appears to have serious effort/motor/football IQ issues.  Zuniga was injury prone, etc.  His 4th round picks were puzzling, too...like he was just taking fliers on guys.

Becton really needs to come back strong in 2022 or the 2020 draft will be a very bad one.  JD should not get a pass on it...he set his own rebuild back by a year.  However, his 2021 draft looks a lot stronger, with more solid, productive, mature talent (excepting Zach Wilson, who was another boom/bust type guy) in AVT, Moore, etc.  Michael Carter looks like a very nice 4th round pick.

So, has he learned from his mistakes?  If the 2022 draft is a hit, then all is good going forward....if not, the Jets may need a new GM after next year.  He's got two early 1st and two early 2nds to work with.  He really needs to hit at least 3 of those 4 picks...guys who step in and start right away and improve the team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I remember after the draft saying I didn't like the "draft a little bit of everything" approach to JD's first draft. He had a chance in the 3rd round to pick up a 2nd OL and WR, to double down on those two key, weak positions and jump-start rebuilding those two areas.  And the draft was still strong there in the 3rd, but he did not.

And, as we've all discussed elsewhere, JD favored high upside/low floor type guys, but those guys are always risky. Becton and Davis were both talented, but raw. Mims appears to have serious effort/motor/football IQ issues.  Zuniga was injury prone, etc.  His 4th round picks were puzzling, too...like he was just taking fliers on guys.

Becton really needs to come back strong in 2022 or the 2020 draft will be a very bad one.  JD should not get a pass on it...he set his own rebuild back by a year.  However, his 2021 draft looks a lot stronger, with more solid, productive, mature talent (excepting Zach Wilson, who was another boom/bust type guy) in AVT, Moore, etc.  Michael Carter looks like a very nice 4th round pick.

So, has he learned from his mistakes?  If the 2022 draft is a hit, then all is good going forward....if not, the Jets may need a new GM after next year.  He's got two early 1st and two early 2nds to work with.  He really needs to hit at least 3 of those 4 picks...guys who step in and start right away and improve the team.

I have always hated these developmental picks.  The Vlad Ducasse picks.  Becton IMO and in the opinion of Kiper, McShay and every draft board I found, had Wirfs over Becton.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Can’t see a scenario where you draft Neal with the intention of keeping Becton.  Too many high value picks along the line.  Just don’t see it.

Becton 5th year decision coming in 2023, AVT 2024 and if you draft Neal or Linderbaum 2025. That’s a lot of cap space on the OL. And don’t forget Zach (?)Need  to develop lesser talent these next few years and play the Compensatory game. 

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Quoted you by mistake.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You can create a pipeline of olinemen later in the draft. Receivers, EDGE's even ILB's you want to invest early in. The Jets cant afford to swap players that just didnt work out unless it's QB.

The OL was supposedly JD's area of expertise. He should be able to build a mid-level OL using mid-level draft picks and the occasional fist round 'can't miss' LT.

2 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

The OL was supposedly JD's area of expertise. He should be able to build a mid-level OL using mid-level draft picks and the occasional fist round 'can't miss' LT.

If you look at any good team, particularly one that his paying its QB, and you will see mid-round draft picks starting on the OL, even ones on their rookie contracts.  

At this point JD’s OL would be almost entirely 1st round draft picks and FAs getting paid almost $10mm.  Any of us could do that.  But with the 2 pick in last year’s draft invested in a QB that needs protection, JD has no choice but continue this strategy, because he does not have time to build a pipeline of lower round draft picks.  It would nice if one of the PS players/C Clark could find a way to play RG. 

• Upvote 3

Get him off the team!!!! The 2020 draft class as a whole was a whiff. I'm sure Douglas will get decent value in return for him.  I know he's young and rich, but there seems to be a level of immaturity from him that will not be improved in the near future

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Poor coaching staff can’t get their first round tackle back on the field and just wants to cut bait with anyone who is mean to them. Surely, this trait will work out for them long-term.

Yeah, this perspective is dumb, makes no sense, and isn't based on anything.

19 minutes ago, greasyt said:

Get him off the team!!!! The 2020 draft class as a whole was a whiff. I'm sure Douglas will get decent value in return for him.  I know he's young and rich, but there seems to be a level of immaturity from him that will not be improved in the near future

Becton might wind up being like Andrew Luck and just not really want to play football any longer.

19 minutes ago, varjet said:

If you look at any good team, particularly one that his paying its QB, and you will see mid-round draft picks starting on the OL, even ones on their rookie contracts.  

At this point JD’s OL would be almost entirely 1st round draft picks and FAs getting paid almost $10mm.  Any of us could do that.  But with the 2 pick in last year’s draft invested in a QB that needs protection, JD has no choice but continue this strategy, because he does not have time to build a pipeline of lower round draft picks.  It would nice if one of the PS players/C Clark could find a way to play RG. 

That's why I think taking any QB other than TL was a huge mistake. JD needed to build the team FIRST. Bad practice to put rookie QB's on one of the worst teams in the league.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I have always hated these developmental picks.  The Vlad Ducasse picks.  Becton IMO and in the opinion of Kiper, McShay and every draft board I found, had Wirfs over Becton.   

I prefer picking people high in the draft that already know how to play Football.  

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, jago said:

he likely dominated his opposition since third grade without incident.
prob never got a scratch.
then welcome to the NFL.

That's exactly his problem. Football was always easy because he was always the biggest, strongest kid, and he didn't have to bother with pesky things like techniques,  discipline,  work ethic, etc

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, greasyt said:

Nice comment dude. 

Welcome to Jet Nation

6 pages and we don't know what the coaching staff thinks; why they are frustrated or what the problem is. We don't even know if there is a problem as the source is dubious at best. Maybe the injury was worse than they thought or there is something else and they don't want to take a chance with only 2 games remaining. Maybe the problem, if there is one, requires discretion.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Becton 5th year decision coming in 2023, AVT 2024 and if you draft Neal or Linderbaum 2025. That’s a lot of cap space on the OL. And don’t forget Zach (?)Need  to develop lesser talent these next few years and play the Compensatory game. 

I just dont see this argument.

Dallas, while paying a franchise QB, Edge and overpaying a RB can also afford 3 OL all making over $10 million per year.

The Bucs have also paid Jensen, Donovan Smith and Mapert.

We can afford to pay 3 very good Olineman - the problem is finding 3 very good olineman.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Dallas, while paying a franchise QB, Edge and overpaying a RB can also afford 3 OL all making over $10 million per year.

We can afford to pay 3 very good Olineman - the problem is finding 3 very good olineman.

More about the draft capital then the eventual contracts.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's exactly his problem. Football was always easy because he was always the biggest, strongest kid, and he didn't have to bother with pesky things like techniques,  discipline,  work ethic, etc

Its JD's job to not only understand if a players skill set will translate to the NFL but to also know how important the game is to them and its entirely possible that Becton simply doesnt love football.  

Now he is young at only 22 years old so its possible he simply needs to mature and develop the requisite work ethic to succeed in the league, but so far it seems like he may not have the toughness, drive and dedication to succeed in a sport that is a huge grind on your mind and body.

Would be great to see him put it together because he has the size and talent to be the best at his position in the league so hopefully Saleh can figure out how to motivate him.

15 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Its JD's job to not only understand if a players skill set will translate to the NFL but to also know how important the game is to them and its entirely possible that Becton simply doesnt love football.  

Now he is young at only 22 years old so its possible he simply needs to mature and develop the requisite work ethic to succeed in the league, but so far it seems like he may not have the toughness, drive and dedication to succeed in a sport that is a huge grind on your mind and body.

Would be great to see him put it together because he has the size and talent to be the best at his position in the league so hopefully Saleh can figure out how to motivate him.

I went to Fire Academy 20 years ago, and one of the guys was the type who said he always wanted to be A Firefighter since he was a kid, had every T shirt, had Maltese Cross Tattoos before he was even certified, big stout country kid from North Florida...

Part of the Florida State Fire College requirements back then was to get in, you had to run a mile and a half in under 14 minutes, and by the halfway point, in under 12 (along with a bunch of other PT benchmarks). 

He barely passed the entry run, but he got in. And then EVERY MORNING when we were doing PT, he would have an injury, usually he would say his Sciatica was bothering him, so he would walk his laps. We started warning him a month out from the "test" run. Bro, you don't make time, your OUT. "But my Sciatic!!"  

We started calling it his "Sayonara Nerve". I was 30 years old, with 6 years of Infantry Time on my knees and ankles, and I tried to get him ro just keep pace with me. He would for about 100 yards, and stop running. 

Of course, the day of the PT Test comes, which was midway through the Academy and the transition from FF1 to FF2 (Interior Operations), and.....he failed the run. Did worse than his day 1 run. 

He started crying, saying it wasn't fair, and he wasn't given a chance. But he was out. I never saw him again,  have no idea what he wound up doing, but the guy who told everyone his lifelong ambition was to be a Firefighter was tossed out of Fire Academy, for LACK OF EFFORT. 

Me? I wasn't a great runner at that point, big guy with lots of miles, but **** if I was going to let 1.5 miles stand in the way of a good career, so I pushed myself in the final run (1.5 in around 11:30) to the point that I vomited after it. 

NOBODY can want it for you, and NOBODY BUT YOU can do the work necessary to succeed. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Bust
May never play again for Jets.

Silly draft pick. If anyone thought that this oversized man would hold up with the strain of playing the OL in the NFL you are WRONG.

It's all on JD guys!!
JD took a chance and failed.... then hit a triple home run in the draft this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

For Dallas? Not really; not yet, anyway. Prescott signed that $40MM/year extension but it hasn't really hit yet. Next year they're looking at $128MM for 6 starters (Prescott, Martin, Smith, Collins, Cooper, Elliot), when they have 3 offensive starters reaching FA status (Williams, Schultz, & Gallup) instead of counting just $2-3MM. You're also counting D.Lawrence as a guy they're paying, and if they don't cut him then it'd be 7 starters for $155 which is just unmanageable. 

Bucs likewise are in a different situation as obvious contenders where - unlike the Jets - it's worth pushing a lot of cap hits off to a year later for as long as they can ride the Brady wave (putting aside the $15MM/yr discount he's giving them just for starters). So you mention Donovan Smith, for example; well look at his recent contract extension: 2 years $31MM, with nearly half of that as signing bonus to drop his 2021 cap hit to under $4MM before it quintuples to $19MM next season. Like other veterans, he also might take a tad less from them than he'd take from others like the Jets for a few reasons: he gets to play for a winner, it's with the game's legendary QB, and when >90% of his compensation is signing bonus it's all FL income with zero state income tax. Compare that to NY/NJ with not only a double-digit percentage marginal rate but also there's effectively no SALT deduction anymore so they guys really pay it all now. 

That nuance aside, where I'm more aligned with what you're saying is don't worry about whether or not it'll be expensive on an extension 5 years down the road. We should be so lucky that we've got so many good & great players it's hard to fit them all under the salary cap. And if they do find a great center it won't matter if he was drafted in round 1 or round 3 when it's extension time, other than putting off his extension 1 more year if he's a 1st rounder. 

Where we're not aligned is I'm not seeing the value of an upper-1st round center - I've only mentioned it 10x and the 2021 season hasn't even ended yet, so I'll say it plenty more lol - but it wouldn't shock me to see them take one in rounds 2 or 3 (or possibly in late round 1 if they trade their way to that area). Too early to tell, until we see what they do (and what they don't do) in FA first.