Has Wilson gone from Bust to Great? Sarcasm intended

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

In any event, we can and should all be happy the kid has progressed and is now allowing his natural talent to shine more and more.

Still a long way to go — before someone jumps down my throat — but very encouraging to see.

Today, he played like a franchise QB behind a makeshift line missing his top 3 WRs, top 3 (albeit pretty crappy) TEs, and losing RB Carter early. With Dan Feeney and Chuma Edoga blocking for him and the refs pretending not to see Braxton Berrios getting sexually assaulted on a drag over the middle.  Actually OLine played well for the most part but there were a few reminders of the rampant injury situation plus a lot of max protection.

Looking forward to a WR in round 1, TE in round 2 and another in FA, resigning LDT, and moving Becton to RT.  Bye Bye Crowder, Mims and Cole.  Let’s continue to invest in the OLine with our 2 4th round picks.

Playmakers will make everyone better!

Edge and Oline round one book it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Darnold's Forehead said:

We need DEFENSE.

We do, in the worst way.

BUT after getting the top edge, they need to still build the offense to be an unstoppable force.  This defense works best with a lead and the young kids they drafted as projects will only improve.

• Upvote 1

Was never a bust, is not great, not yet at least. 

Steady improvement week to week is what we need to see. Hitting the layups, missed a few, a few blatant drops and some seriously tight window throws, no turnovers. Without his center, LG, top RB for most of the game and Braxton Berrios (who apparently should not be on this roster) as his most dangerous weaponz.  

Wait for the contrary rationale and mountain of evidence and statz. 

• Upvote 2

I've been a big zach wilson hater. But today he played a great game. I've been waiting for a performance like this from the kid. He didn't just have a good half. He played a really good game start to finish and almost pulled off the upset.  It's definitly encouraging.  Hopefully he continues to grow and improve going forward.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I would not go wr with our top 3 coming back and obviously including berries in the mix. Do not discount davis who really only played when this offense, an and line were still a work in progress.  Davis can play.  Kris fts also can be a serviceable TE. The early two picks need to be defense.  Yes TE can be in  second round

1 minute ago, AlexVanDyke said:

I would not go wr with our top 3 coming back and obviously including berries in the mix. Do not discount davis who really only played when this offense, an and line were still a work in progress.  Davis can play.  Kris fts also can be a serviceable TE. The early two picks need to be defense.  Yes TE can be in  second round

I disagree.

This defense works best with a lead.  I'd grab the top edge and then continue to build the offense to an unstoppable force.  Besides, all of those safety to linebacker projects appear to be developing.  

Let's outscore people next year then build the defense for a 2023 playoff run!  

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I've been a big zach wilson hater. But today he played a great game. I've been waiting for a performance like this from the kid. He didn't just have a good half. He played a really good game start to finish and almost pulled off the upset.  It's definitly encouraging.  Hopefully he continues to grow and improve going forward.

Truth.  What would he look like with Davis, Moore, Crowder and a real tight end.

Lots to be excited about for next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Need more production out of him.  No way you can be great with only 200 yards week in and out. Hopefully that changes with the addition of better playmakers next year.  

Good game from him today.  Encouraged by his lack of turnovers recently and today by his ability to fit the ball into the tight windows.  This is a definite moving in the right direction game.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I don't see JD going OLine in the first round again. 

It will really depend on what happens in FA. If they can get Becton and Fant on the field at the same time, and retain Moses (TBD), then you can draft more of a 'project' OL. If you're not signing another vet, and Moses leaves, then you prolly need someone who can start sooner rather than latter as both Fant and Becton have had a few injuries.

He was not a bust 4 weeks ago, he is not a franchise quarterback today.

He is a 22 year old rookie learning to play at elite level in one of the hardest and demanding positions in sports. And doing so with not the best weapons and tools around him.

He may be good, he may not, so let´s just enjoy the ride and see him getting better an progressing, which i think he is doing so in the last weeks.

• Upvote 1

He certainly looked better today than he has, a good thing. 

And against a pretty descent defense to boot.

Overall production is still low, and he still completely relies on that run game to be effective, but he made some nice throws in tight coverage today, and no INT's (to his credit he does seem to have sorted some of his more atrocious early-year INT-causing mistakes, I like how he throws it away more now).

But a net positive, although he will rightfully be roasted for the audible to him keeping it on 4th.  That was a horrible decision.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I disagree.

This defense works best with a lead.  I'd grab the top edge and then continue to build the offense to an unstoppable force.  Besides, all of those safety to linebacker projects appear to be developing.  

Let's outscore people next year then build the defense for a 2023 playoff run!  

Agree. Get a top edge rusher and then hopefully Lawson comes back strong and both JFM and Huff rotate with them and we can be a much better D. Then spend a lot of the draft picks on oline, TEs, and WRs.

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Edge and Oline round one book it.

This. /\ /\ Of course, barring any trades. 

One of the top Edge rushers and OT/OGs makes a ton of sense with Moses hitting FA, Fant being in his last year, Becton coming off injury and no legitimate starting RG for the future (other than LDT, who is 30). Neal, Green, Ekwonu immediately come to mind.    

The one x-factor is Hamilton. I could def. see a scenario where the Jets (Saleh) fall in love with Hamilton and take him at #4 if Hutch, Thib and Neal are all off the board. He's an elite prospect and Saleh will not just view him as a safety but as a versatile playmaker and defensive weapon as a position of need. At the Seattle pick they can target Karlaftis, Ojabo or Johnson- depending on how things play out- its really early. Conversely, its possible the Jets take a pass rusher at #4 and Hamilton falls to them at #6 (or whatever the seattle pick end up) and the Jets can't pass up the value. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s been comical for a while. 

Maybe that was the point.... ? 

Wilson looked solid today, he looked like he belonged in the league instead of the inaccurate spaz in the pocket that was hurling V-2 Rockets at anthills for weeks at a time. 

Buy we have a long way to go. We're celebrating 200 yard games with one TD and no picks in a league where guys named Davis Mills, Josh Johnson,  and Tyler Heineken come in and throw for 400. Hell, Joe Burrow recently had a 500+ yard game.

A lot of this has to do with the team around him, but it's an important factor.  They NEED to get reliable receivers for him. Corey Davis was inconsistent when he was in, and then disappeared.  Braxton Berrios has been the only constant, and they need more.

Where it can effect Wilson is in the Darnold effect, he had some games in his Rookie Year that Wilson has yet to sniff (also with pretty bad receivers). But the lack of talent around Darnold destroyed his development and led to the reboot. 

Now, we need to see the full package come together next year, with NO EXCUSES.  

I honestly want the kid to be the answer, but we are nowhere near knowing it yet. 

Drafting a Safety and an ER with a young QB playing with GARBAGE is insanity to me. It's why I went mental when after Darnold, McRetard drafted DT after DT like he had tourrettes syndrome.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I don't see JD going OLine in the first round again. 

It really depends on how they decide to 'address' the O-line. Right now Becton hasn't proven that he can be reliable. Moses is hitting FA and Fant as well as McGovern are BOTH going into their contract years. They also have LDT as their starting RG (also a FA after this season), which is fine, but he's nothing special and not the long-term starter you want. 

The Jets need to continue building their O-line. My opinion is that JD will continue doing it through the draft and if he has an opportunity to bring in blue-chip talent (1st rounders) he will do so. But maybe they decide to extend Fant, McGovern and/or resign Moses, and LDT etc. Although I doubt all of those thigs will happen. Odds are they draft an OT/G in Rd. 1 who they can plug and play at RG, potentially moving to RT if Becton or Fant get hurt. 

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

In any event, we can and should all be happy the kid has progressed and is now allowing his natural talent to shine more and more.

Still a long way to go — before someone jumps down my throat — but very encouraging to see.

Today, he played like a franchise QB behind a makeshift line missing his top 3 WRs, top 3 (albeit pretty crappy) TEs, and losing RB Carter early. With Dan Feeney and Chuma Edoga blocking for him and the refs pretending not to see Braxton Berrios getting sexually assaulted on a drag over the middle.  Actually OLine played well for the most part but there were a few reminders of the rampant injury situation plus a lot of max protection.

Looking forward to a WR in round 1, TE in round 2 and another in FA, resigning LDT, and moving Becton to RT.  Bye Bye Crowder, Mims and Cole.  Let’s continue to invest in the OLine with our 2 4th round picks.

Playmakers will make everyone better!

I don't care if you are Dan Marino, Steve Young, John Elway, Tom Brady, Ken O'Brien, or Ken Stabler - if you do not have an offensive line that can block giving you at least 2-3 solid seconds to scan the field - you are not going to succeed as a QB.

I have not watched much NFL football in the last 20 years as I consider it more of an excuse to bombard the viewer with relentless TV commercials, but even I know as someone whose focus on the team and sport goes back in the mid 1980s, that no QB can succeed without a good O-line. 

And today, Wilson had time to throw.  I have watched bits and pieces of the highlights on youtube (wonderful invention, I must say - see the whole game in 10 minutes instead of suffering through a 3 hour TV ad inflected with occasional gameplay) and he has been running around to save his life all season.

Team had the game in hand until the offensive coordinator called one of the stupidest plays I've ever seen, costing the team a win. Somethings never change.

The NYJ are like one of those TV shows where you can skip an episode or a whole season and pick it up on the fly as if you missed nothing. The Washington Generals of the NFL.