Painful loss but positive progress! There are no moral victories but we’re getting a glimpse of what this team can be.

9 minutes ago, naturalscience said:

You know, in addition to, what appears to be the game slowing down, it also looks like Zach is starting to understand how the offense is supposed to function. 

Definitely some encouraging signs.

Personally think the defense might've held this game for them if they had some pass rush. These young men in the secondary are playing well.

I think we know that Zach has the arm and we've seen him be a threat with his legs.  What we haven't seen until the past few weeks is consistently good decision-making and accuracy.  The fact that it's showing up now is a really good thing.  The fact that it's happening at a time this offense is really depleted is somewhat impressive.  If it continues next week then we can really feel good about going into the offseason knowing that we have a QB who, although not great or even above average yet, is competent and should be built around.

If he looks pretty good next week it will be a relief given how the season started.  We'll then turn to the next critical question for Zach - Can he make the leap from Year 1 to Year 2 that guys like Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold couldn't really make?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I think we know that Zach has the arm and we've seen him be a threat with his legs.  What we haven't seen until the past few weeks is consistently good decision-making and accuracy.  The fact that it's showing up now is a really good thing.  The fact that it's happening at a time this offense is really depleted is somewhat impressive.  If it continues next week then we can really feel good about going into the offseason knowing that we have a QB who, although not great or even above average yet, is competent and should be built around.

If he looks pretty good next week it will be a relief given how the season started.  We'll then turn to the next critical question for Zach - Can he make the leap from Year 1 to Year 2 that guys like Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold couldn't really make?

That is the million dollar question. Can Zach take the next step in 2022 ?

Watching Darnold throw for like 350 and going toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in the second to last game of his rookie season there were very few if any people here that didn’t think we had not found our franchise QB. Well then BB and his ghosts came and put an end to that. 

Zach had a good game but just an absolute brain fart in the end. Improved ? Absolutely. Future franchise QB ? Jury is still out

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, shawn306 said:

That is the million dollar question. Can Zach take the next step in 2022 ?

Watching Darnold throw for like 350 and going toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in the second to last game of his rookie season there were very few if any people here that didn’t think we had not found our franchise QB. Well then BB and his ghosts came and put an end to that. 

Zach had a good game but just an absolute brain fart in the end. Improved ? Absolutely. Future franchise QB ? Jury is still out

Bingo.

We don't know what we have with Zach yet.  But I think he's done a lot the past 4 weeks to show that we don't have a burning QB problem that needs to be addressed at the moment.  We have a guy learning the game, getting better, and who will probably benefit from a healthier and more talented offense around him next year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Probably doesn't mean too much but I got the impression from Brady's interaction with Zach after the game that he seemed to hold some respect for the rookie. Brady's not exactly known for giving younger players any props, so maybe he thinks highly of him. 

Who knows, of course, but why not ride the wave of encouragement. 

With any luck, we'll see this thing work out. Here's to hoping the kid gets it and takes that leap.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Other than Zach and AVT almost none of the guys you'd expect the Jets to be counting on going forward in 2022 (Moore, Becton, Michael Carter, Fant, etc.) were playing.  It's amazing how Zach's progress combined with a good game plan and young player's knowing their roles really made the offense look capable today.

Besides Zack settling down and building confidence, the biggest difference in this team the last month has been the ability to run the ball.

Hopefully after a year in the scheme and a full training camp for a lot of these guys, the offense can really take off next year.

• Upvote 1

It was an entertaining game.   As a Jets fan that’s a big deal.   The Jets are rarely entertaining.   

Tampa Bay doesn’t look like an elite team despite the record.  Their D isn’t last years D and there O was missing weapons and is getting old.   Good team, not last years championship team.  They were also not playing for much.  

Zach played well.  The D again showed they can’t play even when the clock, score and field position is all going their way.  

the 4th down call was terrible but if the d isn’t total trash you win that game at home.   Yes we were missing players, so we’re they and they had a guy publicly quit on the team during the game.  

I think Moore makes a difference in this game.  The complete whiff on a WR last year in what was an amazing WR class is really hurting Zach.  That draft looks very bad.  The move up this year for Tucker and Fant moving to LT because of injury may have been the two best things that happened this year.  

Fant was always considered a solid LT prospect.  Solid tools just needed development.   We need to extend him this off-season.   Baby steps but the team still needs a bunch of upgrades on both sides of the ball to be competitive every week.  

Zach’s going to be okay if we get more talent around him.  

PS  Berrios is going to be around for a long time.   The kid can ball.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

I think we have ourselves a franchise quarterback.

I can’t believe I just said that.  But I think it’s true.  

I have to pinch myself.

Zach had one decent weapon today in Berrios.  Looked poised, controlled the game but also displayed his cannon. Good accuracy. No bonehead plays. Competent winning QB play with unlimited upside.  

keep adding pieces to the offense JD! Support this kid above all else!

Totally agree! 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

This game reminds me to the T (listen closely youngsters) of when Richard Todd and the young talented team that was being put together around him played a game against the Oakland Raiders that was very similar to today.  They had Kenny Stabler and the big bad SB Champion Raiders Beat, put a real scare into them, but had an almost identical outcome as today.

Didnt matter to me, I knew that something had definitely clicked and the Jets would be soon fielding very competitive teams that would be a SB threat every year.

I actually liked Richard Todd lots of the time and thought he got an overly bad rap.  He in no way could make the type of tight window throws on ropes that Zach Wilson can...consistently.

Get Happy.

I remember that game! Todd threw for like 400 yards and 3 or 4 TD's. I remember a couple of long passes to Walker?

It does feel like we are on the precipice of becoming a good team. 

• Post of the Week 1

First off, that was the kind of game I wanted to see from Zach.  He looked confident, a lot more decisive, and had MUCH IMPROVED accuracy (on all passes).  In short, he finally looked like a real NFL QB.  I honestly hadn't seen any signs of that so far this season.  I'm glad he gave us a reason for optimism going forward,

Otoh, let's not jump the gun either.  It was still just one good game.  He's only got one more this season so let's see how he plays against Buffalo.  I'm pretty sure they're playing to win the division so this is an excellent test for him.  If he can play well in back-to-back weeks against really good teams/defenses, that would be a very nice way to go into next season.  

Obviously the ending was disappointing, if Zach makes the right call the game is over on that 4th down BUT how can we not be excited for the future?  Zach is developing at a rapid pace, imagine what he looks like year 2 with all his weapons healthy, with the OL healthy, with added weapons in the draft/FA?  We are really close on offense.

The D is awful but with all the picks, cap room and injured players coming back that can be a quick turnaround.

The 2022 New York Jets will be a playoff team.

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That's a fair take.  Just a difference of opinion here.  After 8 months with these players I think the coaches know exactly what they have in them.  My guess is that in deciding between having the Bucs WRs catch 10 yard passes in front of our CBs or having the Bucs WRs catch 60 TDs over their heads the coaches chose the former.

Plus it doesn't help that the one Veteran group we have on the Defense the Dline , couldn't generate a puss rush through a wet paper towel. Get a pass rush and all of a sudden those DB's will look a lot better. With a few more pieces(Edge rusher, starting LB)  this D can be pretty good next season. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Plus it doesn't help that the one Veteran group we have on the Defense the Dline , couldn't generate a puss rush through a wet paper towel. Get a pass rush and all of a sudden those DB's will look a lot better. With a few more pieces(Edge rusher, starting LB)  this D can be pretty good next season. 

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

3 hours ago, Jetfuel66 said:

I remember that game! Todd threw for like 400 yards and 3 or 4 TD's. I remember a couple of long passes to Walker?

It does feel like we are on the precipice of becoming a good team. 

You have a good memory.

Yeah Todd and Walker torched Oakland’s D that day, but the best thing that day was that you could just see and feel every unit the Jets put out on the field had all of a sudden gained the confidence knowing that they belonged in the league....and they could now compete....with ANYBODY.

We’re not there just yet with this current Jets team because at this point the roster doesn’t compare with the team that almost beat Oakland that day, but Douglas is going to get it there.  Much easier to do when you have a Franchise QB.

I was criticized in another post because I thought Darnold would be a Franchise QB and got fooled.  As though any rookie QB the Jets draft I’m automatically going to think that.  Not so, I hated the Sanchez pick and thought he would bust from the first snap I saw him take.  Also on that theme as a kid I threw a ball through a closet door right after Pete Rozelle sadistically paused with a smirk and said the word “O’Brien” instead of “Marino” in 1983.

Wilson, skill wise, is on a different planet compared to Darnold.  Just keep building around him and the Jets are going to be a threat for many many years.