Zack Wilson absolutely roasted on Jets Postgame show

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

So you’re saying none of the other guys on the team ever make a mistake like dropping a ball, or a late hit, or holding so they’ll judge his “mistake” especially harshly?

Yes. When you are the “most important” player out there who holds the teams gate in his hands. Yes

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know how he prioritizes play calls and audibles, but if the play call is a Jet Sweep, that should be the play run unless you see something that screams the Jet Sweep won't work. If Zach made the call purely on the read that he thought he could make it on a sneak, he has a lot of learning to do. 

First off, rookie QBs not being as good at reading Defenses than veteran QBs is to be expected. I would hope every rookie QB gets better at reading defenses. 

Second, on a big play like that, the coaching staff can't just call in a play and EXPECT a rookie QB to make the right read. That's a situation where they have to be clear that there is only one option. 

Regardless, this was exactly the kind of game we, as Jets fans, should be rooting for. Rookie QB looks good without all his weapons, Oline looks better, play calling on offense looks great and defense starting to play better. 

Losing the game on a bad read and helping our draft position is a very positive outcome. Would I have preferred the win? 100pct, but this was still a very good day for the Jets. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I am speechless about this. I cannot believe that Scott and company ripped Wilson's character of all things. Former players who know how purposely  difficult and totally unfair this town's media can be most of the time most of the time? Congratulations, you are not one of us anymore you are them! Wilson has character issues with little mention of how Antonio Brown runs shirtless on the field? Ridiculous. Yeah, the 22 year old rookie who is progressing each week and had the forward thinking and selflessness on Christmas Day to gift his tickets to a waitress has character issues? And if you think that doesnt matter he also happened to outplayed Tom Brady and a top Todd Bowels defense much of the game. I was tuning in briefly to SNY less and less the last few weeks and now I will totally boycott. Like @Green Bean , @bla bla bla and others have stated, #boycottthebeat

Dude the Beat has been brutal. Idk if it's the individual reporters or the papers they work for but I can't take it. Admittedly, they give me content and talking points to be upset with so I can't totally hate them but I hate them haha.

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He still got his $50 million lol

True. He certainly earned it. Issue is the money Doesn’t keep them in the limelight. That’s the little thing that keeps the millionaire ex athletes up at night. So they get on the radio, behind the Mike or on TV.  Works fir those who had  great careers that carry their media shortcomings  or the talent to maintain said media career.

Barts the guy who was very  good at football but nobody should honestly ever have listen to him. Yeah, he knows football but nobody really cares about that. They want to be cleverly shocked and  or entertained. Dude probably had some epic funny stuff Q’d up for another bad game by Zach. But, kid lucked out and played well. Bart wasn’t prepared so he bit hard on that last play to knock the kid anyways.

It’s ok, but character? Week after kid gives a waitress tickets (not a real big deal, nobody wanted them anyhow) and same game Brown strips half naked and walks off the field? Then kid takes the blame for it. Tough sell this week, he should have led with your “ heard whispers guys  hate Zach in locker room so Zach’s a bad guy.” Not great either but this was nothing more than Bart panicking and proving he needs to stay home, enjoy his money and live out the life he created fur him and his family. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that if you hold Tom Brady to 20 points for 58:40 of game time, you’ve done a hell of a job

Agreed, I didn't expect to see the punter on the field at all lol.

Really loved seeing the young corners battle. They were getting schooled at times and kept fighting. It was like on the job training, they learned more yesterday than you can teach in practice.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don’t know the reason but I have a guess as to what you think the reason is. I’m just going on record here that I don’t believe that nor would I jump to that conclusion and really don’t want any part of that discussion.

Unless you are talking about Bart trying to back up his draft take. Then maybe.

And who did Bart want us to draft at QB and why?

I didn't even say what my theory is..... 

As for the D costing the game, it was actually one bad play (well, actually two).  Just like the decision by the QB to sneak.  Goes to show how just a couple of breakdowns can blow things up and how hard it is to win consistently in the NFL.  That last pass from Brady was on 3 rd down from his own side of the 50 with 20 seconds left.  Up til that blown coverage, this patched together D has performed admirably.  The other play that cost them was the 3rd and 20 in the 4th they allowed Brady to convert.  Overall, I enjoyed the game and the advances the team and the QB made to make it so.  If they don’t lock up Berrios immediately it’ll prove that the GM and front office have a huge blind spot.  The guy can play.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I haven't read this thread, so this has certainly been discussed I am sure. But in Saleh's post-game press conference, and in Zach's post-game interview they both said the play call is two plays.

Zach had the option depending on the defensive look. But that is meant for 1 yard or less. But because of the play call, the coaches inadvertently gave Zach the option to run the sneak. 

So to me, this is the best for both worlds. Zach had a good game, the coaches showed balls and draft position wasn't impacted.  :)

Agreed.

Personally, I'm just tired of the Zach blasting.  He played exceptionally well and the Zach F-ed up thread is the primary focus of this board.

I'm as guilty as everyone else for participating in it :-)

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

First off, rookie QBs not being as good at reading Defenses than veteran QBs is to be expected. I would hope every rookie QB gets better at reading defenses. 

Second, on a big play like that, the coaching staff can't just call in a play and EXPECT a rookie QB to make the right read. That's a situation where they have to be clear that there is only one option. 

Regardless, this was exactly the kind of game we, as Jets fans, should be rooting for. Rookie QB looks good without all his weapons, Oline looks better, play calling on offense looks great and defense starting to play better. 

Losing the game on a bad read and helping our draft position is a very positive outcome. Would I have preferred the win? 100pct, but this was still a very good day for the Jets. 

I don't  think I was making a case otherwise, I am commenting  on what happened on the last play. The CS definitely  did not communicate  correctly but Zach also has to know how play calling and audibles get prioritized.

I'm fine with the outcome. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think Bart’s experience playing with Sanchez has made him dislike young QBs, and Wilson has been terrible for the majority of the year, so he hasn’t done much to change Bart’s mind. If you’re a defensive player and you just spent three hours holding down Tom Brady and the Buccaneers offense, you’d probably be pretty chapped at that QB sneak play. Saleh should have unambiguously taken responsibility for the call instead of equivocating, because it left an opening for people who are Wilson skeptics to slam Wilson, whether he deserves it or not. I also think Saleh was super happy to talk about the sneak instead of talking about why he had one backup safety defending the goal line with 20 seconds left and the Bucs having no time outs. 

I 100% get the frustration - what I don't get is any effort to make this about his character.  Be mad that he possibly screwed up here.  Be disappointed in the outcome.  But, I don't see any room for judgement on Wilson the human.

Similarly, I don't get the need for anyone to slam Wilson for this one.  At worst, it was a bonehead mistake.  The fact that outside of yesterday, that he consistently throws balls behind his targets is a problem worth talking about.  This was a rookie mistake that won't be made again, if it is, in fact, all on Wilson.

As for Bart Scott specifically, I'm still waiting on someone to ask him about the whole "Can't Wait" thing, and how he parlayed that into a radio career, and apparently all he couldn't wait to do was put up a complete dud.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You have to admire the dedication and resourcefulness of the anti-Wilson brigade. Spinning a QB sneak as a ploy for glory. LMAO. Talk about throwing sh*t against the wall.   

It's quite sad to wake up this morning and see this being the prevailing story on the forum instead of being proud of how this team and Zach played as a whole yesterday. Plenty of praise to go around and plenty of blame for both sides of the ball. And the same people crying last week that they messed up their draft position are now upset that they lost yesterday? Hard to make sense of things around here sometimes.

As for the play, I find it hard to believe that Zach was specifically told, during a whole ass time out, to NOT run the sneak and then he went out there and ran it anyways. If the option was off the table then that should've been specifically communicated to the entire offense. Mistakes were made but I have faith that all parties involved will learn from this and be better prepared for next time.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Hopefully those guys will also see Keelan Cole dropping a a key 2nd down pass that cost us points too.

Or Riley coming over late to give up the game winning TD.

What about Echols grabbing the face mask of Mike Evans, negating a 3rd down sack, and, ultimately, leading to a TD drive for Tampa Bay?

They win as a team and they lose as a team.

Or giving a 21 yard cushion on 3rd and 20.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Yes. When you are the “most important” player out there who holds the teams gate in his hands. Yes

I ll agree to disagree.  He s a rookie growing into his role and finding his way.

So much for those expressions passing for wisdom like

He who is without sin shall cast the first stone

Or People that live in glass houses….

Bottom line is it doesn’t matter if there are a few players that think they can criticize his play.   Douglas and Saleh s opinions are the ones that matter.   

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

You have to wonder if he’s getting feedback from the locker room because he clearly continues to question his leadership and almost his character.  Zach seems like a nice kid but also seems socially awkward.  I could see if he’s not loved by all and Scott is getting that feedback and taking it to the bank.  

I imagine this may be true.  Also, how the locker room seemed to love Mike White.  I suspect Zach grew up in a pretty serious bubble.  An NFL locker room looks nothing like a BYU locker room, nor Wilson's family or community.  I'd guess he's going to have work and maturing to do, along with playing at a high level, to become a leader here.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

You have to wonder if he’s getting feedback from the locker room because he clearly continues to question his leadership and almost his character.  Zach seems like a nice kid but also seems socially awkward.  I could see if he’s not loved by all and Scott is getting that feedback and taking it to the bank.  

It's definitely possible.

He does seem like a good kid and following several Jets rookies on IG it seems like he had great comradery with many of them. I've seen him and his girlfriend out with AVT, Michael Carter, Quinnen Williams and their significant others. They were messing around and playing video games during camp, etc.

But it also felt like the team was VERY excited for Mike White when he stepped in and played well. 

I wonder if it's a personality thing or if maybe some vets are just annoyed that the #2 pick is entitled to his job that he hasn't eared. Time will certainly tell.

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I imagine this may be true.  Also, how the locker room seemed to love Mike White.  I suspect Zach grew up in a pretty serious bubble.  An NFL locker room looks nothing like a BYU locker room, nor Wilson's family or community.  I'd guess he's going to have work and maturing to do, along with playing at a high level, to become a leader here.

I’ve considered this as well but who in this current org structure outside of the very tip top of the org chart are still in the organization to be feeding Scott material?  Is Woody or Hymie feeding him info?  Obviously that’s in jest but I can’t see the connection.  Marcus Maye is the longest tenured Jet and Scott was gone 5 years before he arrived.

I don’t follow the beat reporters/local TV guys all that much as I’m not local obviously, but I would think if players really were saying there were issues like this to Bart Scott, they’d be saying it to others too.  I just can’t think of a connection Scott would have for this type of info that he’s the ONLY one getting the scoop.

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He does seem like a good kid and following several Jets rookies on IG it seems like he had great comradery with many of them. I've seen him and his girlfriend out with AVT, Michael Carter, Quinnen Williams and their significant others. They were messing around and playing video games during camp, etc.

But it also felt like the team was VERY excited for Mike White when he stepped in and played well. 

I wonder if it's a personality thing or if maybe some vets are just annoyed that the #2 pick is entitled to his job that he hasn't eared. Time will certainly tell.

I wonder if these same vets took issue with Echol getting an autograph on the field after a loss.

• Upvote 1

I feel both the coaches and Zach can share the blame on that play. It was 4th and a long 2. You don't even give Zach the option at that distance for a QB sneak. It should have just been a pitch to BB without the option. I wonder if Zach realized what the distance was for the first down, because its hard to believe he would go for it on that yardage.

What pissed me off just as much as that play is the damn defense cant keep Brady from going 90 yards in 50 sec. Talk about pathetic.

13 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Remember when the Bills were all very upset with Josh Allen when he made comments about 3-4 years prior that many felt insensitive? He realized it, did what was necessary and now there isn't a guy on that team who wouldn't run through a wall for him. Hopefully, if there are issues between Zack and some teammates, the same will happen for him.

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It would all make more sense if it was less then a yard to go. At 2 yards? Should have never been given that option honestly. 

yeah it was a bad call. its fine in the long run its better for the team since it looks like we will be able to keep the #4 pick and also another pick in the top 10 from seattle. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Exactly, and common sense dictates that when the two options are present use the one that works. Sneaking on 4th and 2 was Zach’s decision at the line. It was a decision that every QB in the league would have had under the same situation. Only Zach was stupid enough to do what he did.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

the coaches were also stupid enough to give a rookie qb the option to do that with 2 yards to go. sure he made a bad read......but the kid looked pretty good overall going against the superbowl champs. 

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Anyone ever think the team gets excited when a back up steps in and plays well when given an opportunity, since they're so limited in the NFL? No? Okay. Cool. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Did Bart Scott talk about the third and 20 conversion when the Bucs were backed up and reeling?  That play changed the complexion of the game enormously.

Was it selfish of Echols to be thinking his guy was going deep so he had another shot at a jump ball pick?  Is that hero ball? I bet Bart doesn’t think that was selfish.

how about letting the bucs score a td on the 4th down conversion as well? zach's good play is one of the biggest reasons the jets were even in a position to win the game on the 4th and 2 in the first place

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude, he kept the ball and it was more than a yard to make. Either he didn't  know the down and distance or he was playing hero ball. You don't  call a sneak unless it is like inches

Dude, hero ball does not equal a QB sneak lol. That QB sneak doesn't even win the game! It was getting a first down. 

7 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Dude, hero ball does not equal a QB sneak lol. That QB sneak doesn't even win the game! It was getting a first down. 

Ok, you obviously have no clue what was going on. They get that first down and they go into victory formation. It was about a minute left and TB used all their time outs. That play had it gotten the first down wins the game