Zach Wilson absolutely looked great today

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

So you’re not buying the mountain of evidence and statz proving no QB has ever become good after putting up the numbers Zach put up in his first 4 games? 

There’s a dude here who has all that evidence. Likely won’t cut and paste it dozens and dozens and dozens of times this week. 

I kind of feel sad for that guy. He’s going to have a lot of pent up anger and frustration this week, waiting and hoping Zach throws 4 INTs next week. 

Hah - I think we all want the same thing. I think people have been very skeptical of Zach because we just went through this with Darnold and failed miserably.

There were a lot of people who weren’t interested in taking a QB at #2 at all. Some just weren’t ready for it emotionally after failing so recently with Sam, while others just wanted the team to trade down and build the rest of the roster. 

I’m not surprised by the lack of patience with Wilson this season. This fanbase has been beat up for a long time at the QB position. As hopeful as I am about Wilson (I think he oozes talent), there is a small part of me that expects 5 picks next week. Because jets 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I've said in a few places that Wilson looked good today, he looked like he belonged on the field.

But we're a long way from calling it a done deal. Darnold had a few games at the end of 2018 and a few in 2019 that Wilson hasn't come within an AU of yet, so let's pump the brakes on the victory tour. He's throwing for 200 yards. In a league where 500+ isn't all that rare anymore.  

Great! He's not ballistically striking gopher dens anymore. 

Now we gotta get some people around him and see what he can really do. 

Enough with the drops, injuries, and Keelan Cole. And enough with the talk of a safety or Edge Rusher. 

Build the ******* Offense. For once!

Moore, Carter, AVT a good start. Hopefully a healthy Becton an a good Tight end and we’ll be on our way next year 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I've said in a few places that Wilson looked good today, he looked like he belonged on the field.

But we're a long way from calling it a done deal. Darnold had a few games at the end of 2018 and a few in 2019 that Wilson hasn't come within an AU of yet, so let's pump the brakes on the victory tour. He's throwing for 200 yards. In a league where 500+ isn't all that rare anymore.  

Enough with the drops, injuries, and Keelan Cole. And enough with the talk of a safety or Edge Rusher. 

Round 1: Oline - Neal, WR - Williams or Burkes

Round 2: TE - McBride or Wydermyer, RB - Isaiah Spiller

We have just added the best OL, WR, TE and RB in the draft.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Round 1: Oline - Neal, WR - Williams or Burkes

Round 2: TE - McBride or Wydermyer, RB - Isaiah Spiller

We have just added the best OL, WR, TE and RB in the draft.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

Yup...resign Berrios and then use the rest of the money on defense.  

But let's build a dominant offense!

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It was a good game. The only bad turnover worthy play was the throw to Jeff Smith at the end of the half that Carlton Davis should have picked off. But that was it.

He threw the ball down the field more. He averaged 7.1 YPA compared to last week where I think he was at 4.6. That was good to see. That pass to Keelan Cole that put the Jets on the 1 yard line was beautiful. I want to see more of that.

I want to see him start to complete more than 60% of his passes on a consistent basis but this was a big step in the right direction today. It was a pretty complete game for him. 

And I put that on Smith. Horrible route

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m sorry but this is blatantly false. 

There are a few dudes here that would relish Zach failing because the only thing more important to them than the Jets being good is them being “right” on the internet. 

I don't think any real Jets fan wants Wilson to fail. Anyone who is rooting to be right on the internet over the Jets obviously isn't a very serious Jets fan. 

• Upvote 1

Noticing the absence of the haters… I guess they’ll  focus on how the coaching staff blew the call, Or that Zach  was a dummy not to hand it off….

I actually feel some hope for the first time in a long time… Get us some studs like they did for Josh Allen, let’s ride

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

With drops and throw aways he’s probably at 65%. 

Today.....

Sam Darnold 17-26 132 yds 1 INT in another Carolina loss....and the picks coming to the Jets from Carolina look even better.

Forget the completion percentage for Wilson  and concentrate on the quality of throws Wilson is making when he releases the ball.  He is making throws now routinely that you might see Darnold make once every 4 weeks and when it did happen you could get fooled by the Fools Gold and think that with that “flash” Darnold will at some point really establish himself as The Man....never happened.

I think that Wilson, just today, made more tight window throws than Darnold did in his entire 3 years.

If by now you can’t see the outstanding talent this kid has, I don’t know what to tell you.

Great arm (and now showing the ACCURACY he was known for at BYU), great wheels, ball security and progressing more and more in reading NFL defenses....that equals a FRANCHISE QB.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It was a good game. The only bad turnover worthy play was the throw to Jeff Smith at the end of the half that Carlton Davis should have picked off. But that was it.

He threw the ball down the field more. He averaged 7.1 YPA compared to last week where I think he was at 4.6. That was good to see. That pass to Keelan Cole that put the Jets on the 1 yard line was beautiful. I want to see more of that.

I want to see him start to complete more than 60% of his passes on a consistent basis but this was a big step in the right direction today. It was a pretty complete game for him. 

For the moment, the key is to survive and limit the mistakes. I think with a full cast on offense (once Moore, CD are back, and possibly 1-2 new players from FA / draft are added), the stats will get better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Clearly his best game as a pro - under very difficult circumstances.

Fair.

He's been progressing every week and been a completely different QB since his injury/personal coach being hired.

The improvement in his TD:INT is especially promising.

Y'all got the complete game you were looking where Zach was a major contributor to the success of offense today.

I would say the primary driver of our Offense today was the running game, not Zach Wilson. 

But Zach was indeed improved, which is very good to see.

Still a ways to go for sure and we need to see this consistently - but dang this was fun to watch.

It was more fun than other, previous, less effective, losses, yes.  100%. 

Seeing the team simply be legitimately competitive vs. a good team was enjoyable, at least till we blew it at the end, Same ol' Jets style. 

It's a shame we lost - but we're watching a young player turn into a franchise QB right before our eyes...enjoy the ride.

I still don't see "Franchise QB" when I watch Zach play. 

Today was closer to "adequate game manager pro" than to words like "absolutely looked great" or "franchise QB".

But he definitely played better, continued to protect the ball well, looked far more "pro" throwing the ball, especially in a few very tight windows today, and he managed the game pretty well all things considered, vs. a very solid Tampa Defense.

Definitely a positive upon which he can (and should) build next week to close out the season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Fair.

The improvement in his TD:INT is especially promising.

I would say the primary driver of our Offense today was the running game, not Zach Wilson. 

But Zach was indeed improved, which is very good to see.

It was more fun that other, previous, less effective, losses, yes.  100%. 

Seeing the team simply be legitimately competitive vs. a good team was enjoyable, at least till we blew it at the end, Same ol' Jets style. 

I still don't see "Franchise QB" when I watch Zach play. 

Today was closer to "adequate game manager pro" than to words like "absolutely looked great" or "franchise QB".

But he definitely played better, continued to protect the ball well, looked far more "pro" throwing the ball, especially in a few very tight windows today, and he managed the game pretty well all things considered, vs. a very solid Tampa Defense.

Definitely a positive upon which he can (and should) build next week to close out the season.

We’re getting closer.  

He’s not there yet, but he continues to improve.  Really the question remaining is where does the improvement stop.  

it’s also pretty clear the talent is there.   IMO it’s about his head.  Him become one a FQB will come down to that.  

22 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Today.....

Sam Darnold 17-26 132 yds 1 INT in another Carolina loss....and the picks coming to the Jets from Carolina look even better.

Forget the completion percentage for Wilson  and concentrate on the quality of throws Wilson is making when he releases the ball.  He is making throws now routinely that you might see Darnold make once every 4 weeks and when it did happen you could get fooled by the Fools Gold and think that with that “flash” Darnold will at some point really establish himself as The Man....never happened.

I think that Wilson, just today, made more tight window throws than Darnold did in his entire 3 years.

If by now you can’t see the outstanding talent this kid has, I don’t know what to tell you.

Great arm (and now showing the ACCURACY he was known for at BYU), great wheels, ball security and progressing more and more in reading NFL defenses....that equals a FRANCHISE QB.

It’s weird for me with this kid. When he played bad I could really believe he was that bad. After watching him play good today I really believe he could be good. It’s weird but I can honestly see the changes he made and a little of that raw talent we all hoped would show up. Kid played like a pro today . 

• Upvote 1

I was quite impressed with Wilson this afternoon.  I could see him going through his progressions from the stands, and his ball placement was tremendous, from what I could see.  What I was most impressed with was his playaction fake.  He hid the ball quite well, and you could visibly see the defense react to the RB.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Today.....

No I get that. He threw absolute lasers today. LOVE his arm and accuracy. I think it’s starting to slow down for him. By next year it’s going to be pitch and catch.

I was just responding to someone who wants to see him over 60%. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

We’re getting closer.  

He’s not there yet, but he continues to improve.  Really the question remaining is where does the improvement stop.  

it’s also pretty clear the talent is there.   IMO it’s about his head.  Him become one a FQB will come down to that.  

I don't think physical talent (outside of his size) was ever Zach's issue.  His arm and general mobility is clearly more than adequate.

As I've said all along, he has three years to prove/establish himself as an NFL starter. 

He is almost done the first of those.  He will finish 2021 amongst the worst QB's in the NFL, but (as Darnold did) showing improvement worthy of "seeing more" in 2022.

Hopefully he has a good final game against Buffalo, and works his ass off (or his brain, which I agree is more apt here) and comes into 2022 ready and prepared for the Pro game.

With the cap space and picks we have, and some of the pieces already in place, we should be a consistently competitive team in 2022.

But that will in many ways be only if Zach continues to improve.  Personally, I want to see that completion % improve the way he improved his TD:INT ratio.  

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I understand the concept.  Darnold looked the part for two weeks vs. Rodgers and Luck.

Big difference though.  Balls.

We have seen that even when things go wrong for Wilson, his confidence level stays put.   

Darnold was a sackless moper.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1