Zach Wilson absolutely looked great today

28 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m watching the RedZone TD montage. 

Jamar Chase is sick. THAT’S what we need. 

Indeed. Is there a guy like that? I was the guy back a couple of years ago that wanted DK Metcalf at 3 overall. ? 

I'm ALL ABOUT building a damn track team rounded out with a couple of Power Forwards and for Wilson to just play PG and overwhelm defenses like KC and now Cincy. 

THAT would be fun.

31 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m watching the RedZone TD montage. 

Jamar Chase is sick. THAT’S what we need. 

Agree, And to the stat hounds I say, get a player like that, and they turned a 10 yard pass into a 30 yard gain, like Moore will also… all of the sudden bingo there are you a 300 games… imagine if we had a real tight end

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think physical talent (outside of his size) was ever Zach's issue.  His arm and general mobility is clearly more than adequate.

As I've said all along, he has three years to prove/establish himself as an NFL starter. 

He is almost done the first of those.  He will finish 2021 amongst the worst QB's in the NFL, but (as Darnold did) showing improvement worthy of "seeing more" in 2022.

Hopefully he has a good final game against Buffalo, and works his ass off (or his brain, which I agree is more apt here) and comes into 2022 ready and prepared for the Pro game.

With the cap space and picks we have, and some of the pieces already in place, we should be a consistently competitive team in 2022.

But that will in many ways be only if Zach continues to improve.  Personally, I want to see that completion % improve the way he improved his TD:INT ratio.  

I think you'll see completion % go up once they get a bit healthier (obviously not this year) 

Otherwise I mostly agree.

41 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Maybe we find our Jamar Chase someday. And Higgins. And Boyd. 

They are really, really good.  Chase is special.

But it is Joe Burrow that has lifted that cursed franchise, returned from an awful injury, and erased the “Bungles.”

I believe Burrow will be the best QB in the NFL very soon.  Quickly became my favorite player last season as a rookie.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think physical talent (outside of his size) was ever Zach's issue.  His arm and general mobility is clearly more than adequate.

As I've said all along, he has three years to prove/establish himself as an NFL starter. 

He is almost done the first of those.  He will finish 2021 amongst the worst QB's in the NFL, but (as Darnold did) showing improvement worthy of "seeing more" in 2022.

Hopefully he has a good final game against Buffalo, and works his ass off (or his brain, which I agree is more apt here) and comes into 2022 ready and prepared for the Pro game.

With the cap space and picks we have, and some of the pieces already in place, we should be a consistently competitive team in 2022.

But that will in many ways be only if Zach continues to improve.  Personally, I want to see that completion % improve the way he improved his TD:INT ratio.  

I am impressed that he battled with the garbage that was out there between the offensive line and wide receivers, yes if he has weapinz(Think Josh Allen in Buffalo) … these guys will improve statz people, he seems like he’s got it… Hopefully were fighting for playoffs next year

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

So you’re not buying the mountain of evidence and statz proving no QB has ever become good after putting up the numbers Zach put up in his first 4 games? 

There’s a dude here who has all that evidence. Likely won’t cut and paste it dozens and dozens and dozens of times this week. 

I kind of feel sad for that guy. He’s going to have a lot of pent up anger and frustration this week, waiting and hoping Zach throws 4 INTs next week. 

You are aware that 80's obsession with Zach's performance is far less weird than your obsession with 80, right?  You must see that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I understand the concept.  Darnold looked the part for two weeks vs. Rodgers and Luck.

Big difference though.  Balls.

We have seen that even when things go wrong for Wilson, his confidence level stays put.   

Darnold was a sackless moper.

But he's SUCH A NIIICE BOY.....

? 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

You are aware that 80's obsession with Zach's performance is far less weird than your obsession with 80, right?  You must see that.

I don’t know who you’re talking about. 

When I say “dudes” I’m just talking generically about the dudes who’ve been relentlessly crapping on our QB.

There are a few of them, but certainly not 80 of them.  

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

They are really, really good.  Chase is special.

But it is Joe Burrow that has lifted that cursed franchise, returned from an awful injury, and erased the “Bungles.”

I believe Burrow will be the best QB in the NFL very soon.  Quickly became my favorite player last season as a rookie.

Couldn’t agree more. I love Burrow, and he’s got a little low key swag going on in his PCs, which I like to see.

The Bengal -Chief game was televised in my market here in SC today, so while I missed the Jets game, watching Burrow and Chase come back and beat KC today was an incredible show.
Burrow has thrown for over 900 yds with 8TDs and a QBR over 140 his last two games. Not too shabby. 

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

No I get that. He threw absolute lasers today. LOVE his arm and accuracy. I think it’s starting to slow down for him. By next year it’s going to be pitch and catch.

I was just responding to someone who wants to see him over 60%. 

Absolutely.

I also just saw a comment that he still looked like a “game manager” out there.

Sorry but “game managers” can NOT make the type of throws he can.  Not on this planet.  Actually few QBs can.

What more could have been asked of him today?  Throwing bombs all over the place with Edoga as his LT and Berrios (who needs to be signed pronto) as his #1?  Not happening.  He has very diligently been taking only what the Defense is offering him and not forcing things that are not there by putting it all on his shoulders to make a Hero play, like he was doing the first half of the season.  He is QUICKLY learning from his mistakes.   

And you’re right, you absolutely see the game slowing down for him.  There was an analysis of what looked like a “nothing” 2 yard TD pass to one of his OL last week, but on closer observation, he went through about 4 or 5 progressions in milliseconds before throwing BACK SHOULDER for the score, that was the very best place to put the ball.

When LaFleur gives him the car keys to the whole offense coupled with more real NFL talent on the offense it’s going to be a beautiful thing to see.

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Indeed. Is there a guy like that? I was the guy back a couple of years ago that wanted DK Metcalf at 3 overall. ? 

I'm ALL ABOUT building a damn track team rounded out with a couple of Power Forwards and for Wilson to just play PG and overwhelm defenses like KC and now Cincy. 

THAT would be fun.

Chase is a once in a decade type prospect - but if you’re looking for size/speed freakish potential in this draft it’s Treylon Burks out of Arkansas. He’s on my wishlist in the top ten. 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Absolutely.

I also just saw a comment that he still looked like a “game manager” out there.

Sorry but “game managers” can NOT make the type of throws he can.  Not on this planet.  Actually few QBs can.

What more could have been asked of him today?  Throwing bombs all over the place with Edoga as his LT and Berrios (who needs to be signed pronto) as his #1?  Not happening.  He has very diligently been taking only what the Defense is offering him and not forcing things that are not there by putting it all on his shoulders to make a Hero play, like he was doing the first half of the season.  He is QUICKLY learning from his mistakes.   

And you’re right, you absolutely see the game slowing down for him.  There was an analysis of what looked like a “nothing” 2 yard TD pass to one of his OL last week, but on closer observation, he went through about 4 or 5 progressions in milliseconds before throwing BACK SHOULDER for the score, that was the very best place to put the ball.

When LaFleur gives him the car keys to the whole offense coupled with more real NFL talent on the offense it’s going to be a beautiful thing to see.

There is real and evident progress this year.  Zach is going to be good.  

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree with both of your Wilson takes in this thread. Additionally, I'd add that you can win in the NFL with the QB play Wilson has provided the last 2 weeks if you have a very good running game and a good D. I'd strongly consider using another premium pick on the OL, I think they are close to being a dominant unit if Becton comes back and plays to his ability. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, LSJF said:

I am impressed that he battled with the garbage that was out there between the offensive line and wide receivers, yes if he has weapinz(Think Josh Allen in Buffalo) … these guys will improve statz people, he seems like he’s got it… Hopefully were fighting for playoffs next year

Wilson played a lot of bad football for stretches right out of the gate , almost always in the first half of games this year while he was getting his feet wet and trying to do way way too much while playing for a team with one of the weakest offensive rosters in the league.  Also with a Defense that would allow the opposition long long scoring drives keeping Wilson on the bench or the other side of the coin where Wilson was down 14 zip in the snap of a finger that would make his head spin even more.

But by now it should be very obvious that “the light has gone on”, and not surprisingly.  Outside of his physical gifts he is extremely intelligent.

He just put up around 250 yards against one of the top D’s in the league and protected the ball close to flawlessly as he has for 4 consecutive games now. He did that with close to total garbage surrounding him.

What does Wilson do to average and below average teams, once he has way more talent to work with? When he is playing consistently with talent already on his team that has been hurt most of the time and they have failed to be able to get chemistry for that reason?  Answer is, he Wins just a about ALL those games going forward.  The top teams in the league will no longer have a cakewalk when playing the Jets either.

The Jets will be a consistent play off threat starting next year and for a long time.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree with both of your Wilson takes in this thread. Additionally, I'd add that you can win in the NFL with the QB play Wilson has provided the last 2 weeks if you have a very good running game and a good D. I'd strongly consider using another premium pick on the OL, I think they are close to being a dominant unit if Becton comes back and plays to his ability. 

His ball placement has been very good lately.  That's more important than his overall completion percentage at this time.  Especially since he threw the ball away 7-10 times today when his guys couldn't get open or when he was under pressure.  

• Upvote 2