Game Observations (TB)

KRL

Great analysis as always. Witnessed a lot of improvement in the team today. Change three plays: TBs 1st down on 3rd and 20, Keelan Cole’s drop, and the 4th and 2 mistake, and the outcome of this game could have been very different.

As you mentioned, the D needs to generate more pressure on the QB. Brady had way too much time to throw. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, KRL said:

Eddy Pineiro doesn't have much of a leg, as he barely got a 51 yarder over the
crossbar on a 50+ degree day.  But he's been reliable and deadly accurate, keeping
him around to compete with Matt Ammendola or someone else would be fine with me.

I really hope JD recognizes he needs to solve the kicking situation once and for all this offseason.  No more stopgaps.  Daniel Carlson from the Raiders is a free agent and I would back up the truck for him.  He has a cannon for a leg, routinely makes 50 yarders, and is a free agent.  Still only 27 years old

• Upvote 2

Great analysis - regardless of W or L, this was a great game for Zach and the overall team.  

I also think LaFleur should be mentioned for really getting this offense to a level we havent seen in YEARS.  He has lost multiple players and is continuing to get players the ball in space and the running game is really getting going.  

I think there should be legitimate optimism when you look at the where the offense is and add in Moore, Becton (hopefully), Davis and a real TE.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

I really hope JD recognizes he needs to solve the kicking situation once and for all this offseason.  No more stopgaps.  Daniel Carlson from the Raiders is a free agent and I would back up the truck for him.  He has a cannon for a leg, routinely makes 50 yarders, and is a free agent.  Still only 27 years old

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/raiders-k-daniel-carlson-agree-to-4-year-18-4m-extension

you’re about a month late. But I do agree.  Pinerio has been great.  Him and someone else should compete.

There were those 2 or 3 drives mid 3rd quarter where we ran on 1st down and got nothing, had an incompletion on 2nd and got stuck in that 3rd and long which hurt us as we failed to convert...keeping those drives alive would have also impacted the final score

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

A couple of other things on the re-watch:

- The OLine really deserves credit, they lost McGovern before the game and Fant
during the game and they still moved TB off the line.  Feeney, McDermott and
Edoga all filled in nicely

- A must re-sign this off season is Duvernay-Tardiff.  His movement skills are
an excellent fit in this scheme as he's able to reach DLinemen and LB's while
moving.  In addition he's not a finesse blocker, he has a nasty streak when
finishing   

- Because the final 4th & 2 call was so poor fans are missing how well the offense
functioned except for that final play.  The offense held the ball from 7:36 left in
the game until there was 2:12 left.  That's 5:24 and if Wilson handed it off to
Berrios they would've never given the ball back

- It took some time for LaFleur to find himself as a playcaller but you have to be
enthused with what he's shown.  He's gotten the run game going by mixing in more RPO
and jet sweeps.  And his willingness to use the entire width of the field on "trick
plays" has kept the defense on their toes  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, KRL said:

A heck of an effort as the Jets fought TB for a full 60 minutes.  But there are no
moral victories in football, so a poor 4th & 2 play call opened the door for Tom
Brady to do what he does and the Jets lost a heartbreaker 28-24.  Let's take a look:

Special Teams

- Eddy Pineiro doesn't have much of a leg, as he barely got a 51 yarder over the
crossbar on a 50+ degree day.  But he's been reliable and deadly accurate, keeping
him around to compete with Matt Ammendola or someone else would be fine with me.

- Braxton Berrios did his usual excellent job in returning kicks as he had a 27.5
average on two returns

Defense

- On the surface giving up 400+ yards in the air and 28 points doesn't seem like a 
good defensive effort.  But the Jets did a good job in containing an explosive offense
for the first 58 minutes of the game.  If the Jet offense executed their last 4th & 2
play better the outcome and TB stats would've been much different.

- Excellent job by the run defense as TB was "one-handed" offensively, as they generated
only 62 yards on 21 carries.  Foley Fatukasi (4 Tackles, 2 TFL), CJ Mosley (13 Tackles),
Quincy Williams (7 Tackles) and Elijah Riley (6 Tackles, TFL) led the clamp down.  And
LeVeon Bell continued to show he left all of his good football in PIT and never found it again.

- Considering how little pressure the DLine got on Brady its amazing the Jets held
TB to 20 points and were leading with two minutes left in the game.  I've said it before
and I'll say it again, Carl Lawson must come back healthy and Joe Douglas must add at
least one pass rusher (preferably two) in the off-season.

- Even though on various plays Brady picked on them the defenders who stood out to me 
in the secondary were:

* Bryce Hall - with 9 Tackles and 2 Passes Defensed.  Usually you don't want your CB having
a ton of tackles but Hall did an excellent job reading the WR screens and taking the receiver
down for no yardage.

* Michael Carter - with 8 Tackles, TFL, Sack and a QB Hit.  Carter like Hall did a good job
on WR screens and displayed good timing on the blitz, getting the only sack of the game.

* Brandin Echols - with 4 Tackles, a Pass Defensed and a 30+ yard INT which set up a FG at
the end of the first half.

Offense

- The OLine followed up their dominant effort from last week (273 yards / 36 carries) with
another strong game against the champs.  Running the ball for 150 yards on 26 carries and only
giving up one sack.  Whether its players developing, the scheme or just chemistry the OLine
has been better than anticipated.  A healthy Mekhi Becton and another draft pick could make
this unit nasty.

- Kenny Yeboah took advantage of injuries at the TE spot and had 2 catches for 36 yards.
Paging Denzel Mims, that's how you get the coaching staff's attention.

- Too bad Michael Carter left with a concussion because it looked like he was on his way
to another big game (54 yards / 3 carries). Terrific burst and special "contact balance".

- Braxton Berrios probably had his best game as a WR with 8 catches for 65 yards and 
two TD's.  Again, paging Denzel Mims!!!  Berrios is at a point where he's giving off a
"Chrebet vibe" as he makes tough 3rd down catches and isn't afraid to go over the middle.

- Nice bounce back game by Ty Johnson after his 3 drop fiasco a couple of games ago.
He had 35 yards on 5 carries and a TD, in addition he had 3 catches for 47 yards.

QB

- By far Zach Wilson's best game as a pro (19/34, 234 yards, TD) against excellent competition.
He threw with consistent accuracy and wasn't afraid to throw into tight windows over the
middle of the field.  Its now four straight games that Wilson hasn't thrown an INT and it was
nice to see that he didn't have a "dry period" where he couldn't complete a pass for minutes
on end.  Unfortunately the 4th & 2 play call will be focused on, after the game Robert Saleh
put the blame on the coaching staff.  But the SNY post game show put the blame on Wilson for
trying to be the hero.  I'll let everyone else point the finger at the "culprit", I'm going
to focus on Wilson's performance against TB (which I didn't expect) and hope he can repeat it
next week against BUF.     

The culprit is probably JD, since everyone knows he wants a top 5 pick.