Current Draft Situation w/ 1 game remaining

56 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Everyone keeps saying we need a Ja'Marr Chase as if Ja'Marr Chases grow on trees.  Are there even any 5-10 pick-worthy WRs in this class?

Every draft has a “best” WR. By the time the draft comes around Douglas better know who it is this year. That’s who we should take.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, PLO said:

The best overall prospect in the draft is a safety. Even if you think the Adams pick was a waste (it wasn't), Hamilton is a better prospect than him by some margin. 

I get the positional value thing, but at some stage you just have to recognise who the blue chip prospects are in this draft and pick accordingly. This draft does really lack true top end talent and he's one of very few who's in that bracket. 

I'm not going to pound the table for Hamilton, but I definitely won't be unhappy if we draft him either. 

Sorry. We could draft a Ronnie Lott/Ed Reed hybrid and I’ll still hate it because I’m shellshocked after 2017.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I didn’t even have to look to see who posted this. I knew.

To no one’s surprise… You’re doing the same thing you did with Darnold 4 years ago. 

I was fooled by Darnold, he was the top rated QB over the last 4 games his rookie year.  He had a top rated Houston D and their team beaten single handedly until Bowles D let down the final drive.  He had Aaron Rodgers beat the next week, Bowles D did the same.  JJ Watt told him “you’re going to be a great pro”.  He was doing that with the SAME type garbage that surrounds Wilson most of the time.

For whatever reason he never stepped it up in Year 2 and has kept regressing.  I was wrong.

I’m also the guy who wanted the Jets to take Mahomes with the Adams pick, and said he’d crush the NFL as quick as Marino did and be an MVP.  Find those posts.  Tough to be perfect in the projection business.

Wilson, as far as attributes go, when compared to Darnold, they aren’t in the same stratosphere.  So I’ll go out on a limb once again and say the Jets have finally found their Franchise QB.  Once again, it’s easy to say any of these guys will bust, because a huge percentage do.  There were jokes in I think Eli Manning’s 4th or 5th year that he was “adopted” by the Manning family, couldn’t be a Manning because he was so bad.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

His size would be a great compliment to what moore brings.  I like this jameson williams kid too but we dont need another sub 6 ft reciever.

The thing about williams though is he is very fast and plays very fast.   He is a Tyreek hill type of player.  It will be interesting to see what he runs in the 40.

I also like Trayvon Burks and a bit lower down, perhaps with one of our 2nd rounders David Bell, that guy is going to be a good pro.

EDIT.  LOL  I originally typed that williams was very fat instead of fast.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Free Agency

S - Marcus Williams

WR - Christian Kirk

TE - David Njoku

CB - JC Jackson

Draft

1A) Neal/Karlaftis/Ojabo/Trade

1B) Karlaftis/Ojabo/Linderbaum

2A) Drake London

2B) Trey McBride

Rest of the draft LB, S, OL, RB, CB

Drake London would be a great fit.  

If he’s a consensus top 15-20 by the draft, would you take a WR in the top 10? 

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

BENGALS

2019 Jonah Williams was drafted #11 overall.  He missed his entire rookie year to injury. He then played a partial season (10 games) in year-2, and was a near full time starter in year-3. 

2020 QB (1st rd) & WR (2nd rd) = 4 win season

2021 WR(1st rd) = they win their division 

———

JETS

2020 Mekhi Becton was drafted #11 overall. He played a partial season (14 games) his rookie year. He then missed all but a qtr of year-2. Will he be a full time starter in his year-3????

2021 QB (1st rd) & WR (2nd rd) = 4 wins

2022 WR (1st rd)??? =   >4 wins???? 

WR and maybe Center = 8 wins

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Free Agency

S - Marcus Williams

WR - Christian Kirk

TE - David Njoku

CB - JC Jackson

Draft

1A) Neal/Karlaftis/Ojabo/Trade

1B) Karlaftis/Ojabo/Linderbaum

2A) Drake London

2B) Trey McBride

Rest of the draft LB, S, OL, RB, CB

With moore and berrios, an undersized reciever like kirk isnt needed.  Njoku is going to command more then hes worth becasue of his 1st round pedigree.  JC Jackson is going to demand top 5 qb money.  Joe will pass on all 3 of these players.  Williams will demand being paid a top 3 safety.  Again, not going to happen under joe Douglas.

Although Mike McCagnan would sign both JC Jackson and Marcus Williams.  And we would continue to stink and be in cap hell.  We do not operate like that anymore.

Like Neal and Mcbride in your draft.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Drake London would be a great fit.  

If he’s a consensus top 15-20 by the draft, would you take a WR in the top 10? 

I don't love the idea of WR top 10 but wouldn't be upset with the pick. I like London, Williams, Burks, and Bell the most so far. I think maybe if we traded down from #4 and fell in the 10-20 range I'd feel more comfortable.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

With moore and berrios, an undersized reciever like kirk isnt needed.  Njoku is going to command more then hes worth becasue of his 1st round pedigree.  JC Jackson is going to demand top 5 qb money.  Joe will pass on all 3 of these players.  Williams will demand being paid a top 3 safety.  Again, not going to happen under joe Douglas.

Although Mike McCagnan would sign both JC Jackson and Marcus Williams.  And we would continue to stink and be in cap hell.  We do not operate like that anymore.

Like Neal and Mcbride in your draft.

JC Jackson is a player I'd shell out money for. I'm big on taking away a top chess piece from a division rival.

I think I'm trying to stay away from Hamilton at the top of the draft which is why I'd prioritize safety in FA. I get the feeling Douglas/Saleh don't place a high value there so I'm sort of torn on what they'll do. Maybe Joyner and a mid round safety is all we get.

Njoku, Ertz, Gesicki, and Howard would all be alright with me, TE in the draft is really where I'd want to focus.

As for Kirk, I like the idea of adding a big WR but I almost think TE will be the big target and shifty WRs and guys that run crisp routes will be the priority on the outside. Honestly anyone who can catch is alright in my book.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Could you imagine the line left to right:

Fant-AVT-McGovern-Neal-Becton

That is a top 10 oline in the league.  That is how you protect a young qb.

And some of you think we are going to take a safety.  HAHAHHAHAHHA

Talented offensive weapons > OL. Look at the bengals. Below average OL and they sling the ball around. Taking another ol in the top half of the first round is a complete waste of draft resources with this roster. All we need is a guard and they are regularly found in the mid rounds. 

• Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Talented offensive weapons > OL. Look at the bengals. Average ol and they sling the ball around. Taking another ol in the top half of the draft is a complete waste of draft resources with this roster. All we need is a guard and they are regularly found in the mid rounds. 

I'm mostly on board with this.

No disrespect to Wilson and what he did today, but Burrow is playing at a ridiculous level these days. 

And there is no Ja'Marr Chase in this draft. 

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm mostly on board with this.

No disrespect to Wilson and what he did today, but Burrow is playing at a ridiculous level these days. 

And there is no Ja'Marr Chase in this draft. 

Sure there’s no guys like chase, but there are definitely some really good wrs and tes in this class. If we can snag someone like Burks/Wilson/Williams in the first and pair them with a te like McBride then we’re cooking.

There’s also an electric slot guy I’ve been keeping my eye on for a while in wandale Robinson. He was fantastic in his bowl game the other day and crushed my dreams of snagging him in the 4th, but even in the 3rd then sign me up. 

this offense has a ton of short timing routes which doesn’t require the ol to block for very long but the receivers need to get open quickly (which they haven’t been). That’s why an ol isn’t needed in the first couple rounds. We’re also currently ranked as the 12th best line in the league even with all these injuries. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Sure there’s no guys like chase, but there are definitely some really good wrs and tes in this class. If we can snag someone like Burks/Wilson/Williams in the first and pair them with a te like McBride then we’re cooking.

There’s also an electric slot guy I’ve been keeping my eye on for a while in wandale Robinson. He was fantastic in his bowl game the other day and crushed my dreams of snagging him in the 4th, but even in the 3rd then sign me up. 

this offense has a ton of short timing routes which doesn’t require the ol to block for very long but the receivers need to get open quickly (which they haven’t been). That’s why an ol isn’t needed in the first couple rounds. We’re also currently ranked as the 12th best line in the league even with all these injuries. 

I get nervous about everyone not named Burks - the rest seem like slot players in the NFL. I'm amateurish AF on this so I could definitely be wrong.

I'd be happy to get the o-line we have now - depending on the severity of Fant's injury, of course - but I'd be bringing back Moses and LDT, locking up Fant long-term. 

But there's also that Cincinatti receiver, Pierce, or the Purdue receiver, Bell. These guys are seemingly second rounders, but also outside receivers?

All that said, I love Burks, and if he tests well, I'd be happy to spend a top 10 pick on him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I get nervous about everyone not named Burks - the rest seem like slot players in the NFL. I'm amateurish AF on this so I could definitely be wrong. 

One of the main ways to tell if a guy can play on the outside vs slot is how they do against press coverage. They can usually either beat them physically like how Mike Evans and Anquan Boldin did, or they can beat them with speed/quickness like Desean Jackson. Elijah Moore is a great example of smaller guys who can play on the outside. He generally uses speed and quickness. They can’t really rough him up at the line or he’ll just blow past them.   I believe the guys I mentioned are all outside guys who can also play inside. Watch some of their highlights or full offensive plays vs a defense and see how they do against press. Wilson is really good at shaking off the defender when they are in his face. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You know what's great about this draft is that the consensus #3-4-5 guys are a corner that hasn't looked like a first rounder since 2019, a tackle, and a safety.

And this draft will probably be filled with HOFers, Pro Bowlers and Franchise QB's

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Jets pick is still 4 and Seahawks, even with win, remain at pick 7.

If Seahawks beat Cardinals next week, I think their pick can only fall to 11 at the worst.  

Panthers currently at 6th pick and they close at TB.  Anyone not expect Bucs to be razor focused next week?

If everything goes right next week, we will end up with 2 top 10 picks and 4 top 40 picks and 7 picks in top 115.

I’m taking Hutch who I think will slide to #4. Then trade back the Seattle pick - (ideally) to Philly for 19 & 21. It’s a good trade for both and fair point wise. Take WR Burks and LB Dean. With Mims being a bust and left to rot on the sidelines, JD is going to have to use a high draft pick on a WR. This is the only WR I want. He’s slated to go around 20-27. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Talented offensive weapons > OL. Look at the bengals. Below average OL and they sling the ball around. Taking another ol in the top half of the first round is a complete waste of draft resources with this roster. All we need is a guard and they are regularly found in the mid rounds. 

Kinard - Kentucky. Perfect fit. 2nd round. 

10 hours ago, PLO said:

The best overall prospect in the draft is a safety. Even if you think the Adams pick was a waste (it wasn't), Hamilton is a better prospect than him by some margin. 

I get the positional value thing, but at some stage you just have to recognise who the blue chip prospects are in this draft and pick accordingly. This draft does really lack true top end talent and he's one of very few who's in that bracket. 

I'm not going to pound the table for Hamilton, but I definitely won't be unhappy if we draft him either. 

Exactly!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

BENGALS

2019 Jonah Williams was drafted #11 overall.  He missed his entire rookie year to injury. He then played a partial season (10 games) in year-2, and was a near full time starter in year-3. 

2020 QB (1st rd) & WR (2nd rd) = 4 win season

2021 WR(1st rd) = they win their division 

———

JETS

2020 Mekhi Becton was drafted #11 overall. He played a partial season (14 games) his rookie year. He then missed all but a qtr of year-2. Will he be a full time starter in his year-3????

2021 QB (1st rd) & WR (2nd rd) = 4 wins

2022 WR (1st rd)??? =   >4 wins???? 

Were Bengals fans calling Williams a fat lazy bust and demanding that he gets traded because he got hurt and missed a year?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bengals had 4 wins last year. AFC North Champs today. Qb was the key, then WR

2019 Jonah Williams OT

2020 Joe Burrow & Tee Higgins

2021 Jamar Chase

Lets hope now that we have our QB and RB we can add our game changing wide outs

hmmm... jets

2020 becton

2021 wilson and moore

2022???

things are looking up.

I actually think with JFM getting signed there is a good chance Quinnen gets moved this offseason for some picks or a player and JFM gets moved inside to his more natural 3 technique position. The Jets other priority this offseason will be a run stuffing NT and a DE opposite Lawson. Besides that Safety is really the only other position the Jets need to address on defense which can be addressed with a veteran.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Like, Like Like 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

His size would be a great compliment to what moore brings.  I like this jameson williams kid too but we dont need another sub 6 ft reciever.

Yes..

Big guy like Burkes on the outside - with Moore in the slot, Davis as your #3 on the other outside, second round TE and Berrios as your gadget guy....

Becton at RT, year two of AVT and this overall OL in this systems year 2.

Year 2 Zach Wilson

This team is off the races...

• Upvote 3