Safety position going forward

Rhg1084

Maye isn’t coming back, safety isn’t a position you pick top ten unless you MCcoffee. Jets plan will be Edge, then trade down. We may end up with three second rounders. We have to many hikes and Hamilton is super injury prone.

Jason Pinnock looks like he can play Safety.

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans just cant help themselves.  Just want to add safeties, corners and dline every chance they can get.

We are building this offense.  Safety is very low on our offseason priorities.  Will will sign a 2nd tier free agent safety and maybe draft one in the 5th round.

All top resources are going to finish building this offense.

Round 1: Oline - Neal, WR - Williams or Burkes

Round 2: TE - McBride or Wydermyer, RB - Isaiah Spiller

We have just added the best OL, WR, TE and RB in the draft.

Thank you Namath. The only question we should ask ourselves before adding a player is “can he play offense”?

How many more decades of watching an offense that can’t score can you guys endure? It’s 2022. You have to put up 30 points consistently.

The draft duo of JD and Gase are 0-1, but the draft duo of JD and Saleh are 1-0. If they select Hamilton, I will trust the pick. I prefer EDGE and LB, but I am not crying if they take Hamilton with the second pick.  Now that Zach has grown into his britches, the 2021 draft looks even better. Did anyone catch the game yesterday where Zach looked like a seasoned veteran behind Feeney and Edoga while throwing to Jeff Smith, Daniel Brown, Yeboah, Cole, and Berrios? We need help on offense, but defense is the bigger need, by far. 

Look at the SB Champion Buccaneers the Jets just played.  

Look at the investment, in draft picks, and second/third contracts, the Bucs have put into their offense.   That is not to say that the Bucs have not drafted defensive players high and paid them, but most of the investment appears to be on the offense.  

The first three Jets draft picks can easily be OT, WR and TE.   If we started drafting defense after that I think the defense greatly improves, particularly if we can sign a safety and/or LB.

Safeties tend to free up from teams that have to pay their QB and WRs, because good teams know they can draft them at the bottom of the rounds when they pick.   If the Jets were able to sign a great safety and draft a LB in the 3rd round, things are getting better.  

14 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Easiest the worst position group right now. The vision for this year was Joyner and Maye who are both out for the year. Davis has been below average and Riley was signed off the street. Getting beat for the game winning touchdown today was embarrassing.

what does Douglas do with this position in the off-season? Franchise Maye again? Sign a big name (Mathieu?). Draft Kyle Hamilton with one of our picks? 

safety is an important position in Saleh’s scheme and needs to be addressed 

That game winning touchdown was so slow, and Riley looked like he didn't know how he wanted to attack the ball.  I was sitting there watching the WR run down the sideline, I watched Brady get ready to release the ball, and I saw Riley's position, I got excited thinking that was picked off while the ball was half way in the air.  Then Riley hesitated, and the ball was caught.

It was a good game, and the better team won.  I was expecting a blow out, and it was entertaining.  

The whole car ride home, I said to my wife, what the **** was he (Riley) thinking?

That being said, there were other plays that we left out there.  The two drops, especially Coles were huge.  

• Upvote 1

Look at the safeties on the teams in our division, for example:

Bills-Hyde and Poyer-two very good players, both on second contracts drafted by other teams.

Patriots-McCourty (nuff said) and Kyle Dugger (6-2, 220)

Dolphins-Javon Holland and Eric Rowe (6-1, 205, 2nd round pick of Phi) or Brandon Jones (3rd round pick of Mia).

These safeties are big, fast, strong and can cover and tackle.   The Jets defense needs a serious investment in safety, and it does not necessarily need to be draft picks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Plenty of good FA’s to fill that spot. 

Absolutely not with drafting Hamilton. Shouldn’t even be mentioned. 

Jets have no real pass rush. if there's either a great edge or a shutdown corner(an animal that no longer roams the earth) , may be you use one of the #1s on him. Anyone suggesting they take a safety with either needs to be shot and left in a dumpster at Florham Park. 

16 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans just cant help themselves.  Just want to add safeties, corners and dline every chance they can get.

We are building this offense.  Safety is very low on our offseason priorities.  Will will sign a 2nd tier free agent safety and maybe draft one in the 5th round.

Yeah, sorry dude.  That ain't happening.  We will be spending some assets on defense. We will be using one of those top four assets on a pass-rusher.  I don't see us using a high pick on an Olineman after spending two 1sts.  Now, if we move down in the draft and gain some more picks for 2023, I could see us taking Linderbaum, but not if we stay in the top ten.  

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree for the most part , but if Lawson doesn't come back healthy, the team desperately needs to draft or sign an edge rusher in FA. The NFL is all about protecting your own QB and going after the oppositions QB. 

There is at least a dozen safeties who could either start long or short term if we need help next year.  We have DB's who will have even more experience next year, and we have two safeties of our own in Maye and Joyner who we could resign (which I don't think we do either).

We also have 5 picks in rounds 3-5, which I am sure Douglas will turn into more, which can be used to draft a safety.  IF one of the top four picks are used in drafting a safety, I might turn on Joe Douglas like Jetsfan80 will turn on Zach Wilson.