Denzel Mims: 0 snaps

Rhg1084

Saleh is clear on not playing Mims unless he has to given how little Mims has played but I wouldn't feel confident that Mims isn't back next year. If there isn't a compelling offer on the table then cutting him doesn't make enormous sense. He's on a rookie contract and serves as reasonably cheap depth at a time when the team has a lot of holes to fill. I could see Douglas wanting to give Mims another offseason/camp to perform better and unload him before the trade deadline if he has another poor camp.

• Upvote 1

I was a fan of the Mims pick and thought he would become and really good receiver. Even when he struggled early this year I thought he would turn it around in the second half of the year. I’m not sure what the issues are with him but I now have to believe his time with the Jets is over. There is a lot of physical talent there and he may still prove to be an NFL receiver down the road but I think it will have to be with someone else. That’s a shame but it happens.

• Upvote 2

On 1/3/2022 at 7:36 AM, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

There are two things that cannot really be overstated about Mims:

(1) he had a massive opportunity over these past few weeks to make a case for himself with Moore, Davis and Crowder not playing; and

(2) he couldn’t have blew it any worse.

It used to drive me nuts seeing guys like Jeff Smith get more reps than him.  Yesterday, I didn’t give any thought to Mims not being on the field — so, yes, like the Jets, I’ve moved on from him, likely for good.

Ditto!

On 1/3/2022 at 2:37 AM, BurnleyJet said:

You want to be right so bad, your blinded by the truth that Mims is awful. The reason other players are in front of him his he’s bad. Not the coaching staff.

2A5E766A-E739-46BD-B4A4-242D19563027.gif

Really? how many targets did he get?  I just wanted to see him get some passes thrown his way.  We watch him play games where QB didn't even look his direction more than once or twice.   I saw Coles and Davis drop plenty of passes but God forbid if Mims drops a pass or runs a wrong route he is banished to purgatory or something.  Sorry but that just doesn't scan for me.   

It is not about me being right, it is about wanting to see what we have in this guy since we drafted him in the second round and this was a developmental year.   If you are okay with drafting players and not giving them a legit chance to develop, that is on you.  I for one think it is stupid. 

If he goes to another team and develops, will you admit you were wrong?  If he goes and busts elsewhere I will have no problem admitting it.   However, I think another coach won't try to fit a square peg into a round hole and will at least try and utilize his strengths (50-50 balls, Redzone, etc).   That is my only issue.  They never tried to utilize his strengths and what HE is good at.  Instead they focused ALL the energy on what he didn't do well.   I mean, who does that?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

There is no conspiracy against Mims, and he was given a fair shot.  By all accounts, and watching when he did play, he is the problem.

The hyperbolic hype last offseason here was simply wrong, as it almost always is.

Enjoy rooting for him on his next team I guess, not my cup of tea rooting for other teams players.

Suit yourself. It is called being a football fan, not just a fan of the Jets.  I root for lots of players, except when they are playing my team.   I still don't see how he was the problem when he was rarely targeted and they rarely played to his strengths but at this point it is useless debating this.  Either he will go else where and excel or truly bust; we will know one way or the other in due time.   I think it will be the former over the latter. 

I get wanting to see Mims get chances, but what the ****   That ship has sailed.  You want more targets?  He only caught like 36% of his targets.  Considerably worse than Jeff Smith.  Despite his limited snaps, he committed 4 penalties.  To top it off, the only other WR that didn't play any special teams was Davis.  Everybody else got at least a snap or two (Moore and Crowder) and the guys competing for roster space with him played  22 (Cole), 156 (Berrios), 24 (Vyncint), 57 (Jeff) and 20 (DJ Montgomery).  Mims has physical ability, but he is not adding to the team..  I think it is pretty obvious by now that it isn't all on the coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Suit yourself. It is called being a football fan, not just a fan of the Jets.

Which is where you and I differ, it seems. 

I'm not a generic "football fan", I'm a NY Jets fan.  I root for the Jets, I generally do not root for other teams or players, ex-Jets busts or not.

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I still don't see how he was the problem when he was rarely targeted and they rarely played to his strengths but at this point it is useless debating this.  Either he will go else where and excel or truly bust; we will know one way or the other in due time.   I think it will be the former over the latter. 

I guess we'll see.  If you truly think he will excel, I'd presume you'd want him to be retained this offseason and do so here.  Surely you don't root for him to excel, say, as a Patriot, do you?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get wanting to see Mims get chances, but what the ****   That ship has sailed.  You want more targets?  He only caught like 36% of his targets.  Considerably worse than Jeff Smith.  Despite his limited snaps, he committed 4 penalties.  To top it off, the only other WR that didn't play any special teams was Davis.  Everybody else got at least a snap or two (Moore and Crowder) and the guys competing for roster space with him played  22 (Cole), 156 (Berrios), 24 (Vyncint), 57 (Jeff) and 20 (DJ Montgomery).  Mims has physical ability, but he is not adding to the team..  I think it is pretty obvious by now that it isn't all on the coaching staff.

My first thought when I saw his reaction to getting drafted by the Jets was, "boy, he doesn't look too thrilled". He kinda seems like he doesn't give a f*ck, whether he's just unhappy in New York, or with football in general, who knows, but in retrospect, I kinda saw this coming.

Although, saying that, Becton had an amazing reaction to being drafted and immediately looked ready to run through a wall for this team, and now look what's happened.

59 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Really? how many targets did he get?  I just wanted to see him get some passes thrown his way.  We watch him play games where QB didn't even look his direction more than once or twice.   I saw Coles and Davis drop plenty of passes but God forbid if Mims drops a pass or runs a wrong route he is banished to purgatory or something.  Sorry but that just doesn't scan for me.   

It is not about me being right, it is about wanting to see what we have in this guy since we drafted him in the second round and this was a developmental year.   If you are okay with drafting players and not giving them a legit chance to develop, that is on you.  I for one think it is stupid. 

If he goes to another team and develops, will you admit you were wrong?  If he goes and busts elsewhere I will have no problem admitting it.   However, I think another coach won't try to fit a square peg into a round hole and will at least try and utilize his strengths (50-50 balls, Redzone, etc).   That is my only issue.  They never tried to utilize his strengths and what HE is good at.  Instead they focused ALL the energy on what he didn't do well.   I mean, who does that?

To be fair, he did drop a ball a few weeks back in the end zone; he was targeted the previous week in end-zone too and there was a good defense.

I do think, especially with the season over, we should be giving him some snaps and passes. We certainly know what we have (or don't have) with Coles or Davis. Let's try some jump balls and speed routes (if OL can hold up). Hell, I wouldn't mind giving White a chance to play a little too - let's get more tape on these guys.

On 1/3/2022 at 1:08 AM, JetBlue said:

People were hopeful he could build on an injury ravaged rookie season.  Sorry if we root for players we draft who had successful college careers.  I really don't understand the glee in some folks as if they are invested on seeing Mims fail.  He will go to another team and hopefully get an opportunity in an offense more suited to his skill set.   The idea that he gets no snaps yet Smith and Cole are playing a head of him is more an indictment of the coaching staff than anything on Mims.   

i disagree with this.  I was as big a mims fan as there was when he came out.  His reps though when he has been in have been mostly awful.  Im not sure what the actual issue is why he is playing so absurdly poorly, but he just can get 0 separation at all, his route stems and breaks are awful, he cant get off press at the line for anything.  So the reason those guys are getting reps over him is not an indictment on the staff, its more a an indictment on Mims and how he has yet to improve upon the things that were deficiencies in his game coming out of college. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Very few targets and i think zero fade routes down by the end zone, i guess the Coaches think that is too tough a route to run for a 6'.3" receiver who high pointed many of his 23 receptions last year.......Do not remember one back shoulder throw to him either......Not saying he did not help himself especially in the Colts game but not used correctly in my opinion either....not like Cole has been a world beater with his 25 catches in 48 targets and ZERO TD's despite much more playing time and also some drops and Jeff Smith, please another drop a game with his few targets.......

• Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Very few targets and i think zero fade routes down by the end zone, i guess the Coaches think that is too tough a route to run for a 6'.3" receiver who high pointed many of his 23 receptions last year.......Do not remember one back shoulder throw to him either......Not saying he did not help himself especially in the Colts game but not used correctly in my opinion either....not like Cole has been a world beater with his 25 catches in 48 targets and ZERO TD's despite much more playing time and also some drops and Jeff Smith, please another drop a game with his few targets.......

I agree with this to a point. The truth is we just don't know why. We probably never will. This isn't the same Jets organization that couldn't keep a secret. I hope, regardless of the reasons, if he is close, he get some more reps. The game is meaningless so might as well give all of the 'seniors' playing time..

• Upvote 2

Do y'all remember the two different practice videos from different weeks that showed Mims half-assing drills this year? I really think that tells the story on this guy. He isn't into it. He's not a professional and he'll never be a good NFL player IMO.

Thank you. It’s all the things we don’t see during the week that coaches do. That’s probably why he’s not getting opportunities on sundays

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Suit yourself. It is called being a football fan, not just a fan of the Jets.  I root for lots of players, except when they are playing my team.   I still don't see how he was the problem when he was rarely targeted and they rarely played to his strengths but at this point it is useless debating this.  Either he will go else where and excel or truly bust; we will know one way or the other in due time.   I think it will be the former over the latter. 

You have to run the right route, to get separation to get targeted.  Every pass play has options, he doesnt get open otherwise he would get targeted.  Unless your point is that whenever our QBs go through their progressions they ignore the wide open Mims because they dont want a completion or the yardage. 

If he goes elsewhere and a light goes off in his head and he gets it, good for him it happens.  It doesnt prove that he wasnt given proper coaching or a chance.  Anymore than being over 6' tall and once running a 4.3 makes someone a good WR

• Upvote 1

It’s not some mystery or conspiracy. Saleh publicly stated multiple times during preseason that Mims didn’t learn the playbook. There’s been videos of Mims clearly dogging it in practice even weeks ago. Then, when he did get opportunities, he caused penalties and dropped passes.

Those are the reasons he’s 6th on the depth chart, and why he won’t be a Jet next season.  

• Upvote 2

His whole press conference was an absolute lie.  He pretended to be real pissed when in actuality, he will go into Joe Ds office with a grin as wide as the joker.
Today was the perfect outcome for this franchise.  Saleh has a little oscar worthy acting in him.  I love it!!!!

why would a head coach be happy a player isn’t working out? comments like this are really vapid

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

44 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I agree with this to a point. The truth is we just don't know why. We probably never will. This isn't the same Jets organization that couldn't keep a secret. I hope, regardless of the reasons, if he is close, he get some more reps. The game is meaningless so might as well give all of the 'seniors' playing time..

We know why, people just don’t want except it 

He’s lazy, doesn’t have the want to get better, bad route runner, won’t play special teams, there’s only one person that can change this and it Mims himself 

And up till now that doesn’t seem likely 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

mims is awful as shown back his lack of production and it was apparent to many he was a bad pick when picked and all of last year as well. .

Mims is a second round bust picked by Joe D- Joe's entire first draft sucked-his second draft appears to have some good players  but time will tell. We dont have to wait for "time " to tell about Joe's first draft as by next year maybe one guy will still be on the team who also is a bust and that is Becton-some want to wait until next year on him to see but that is just ignoring reality and going by hopes and dreams

Joe is the GM of a team that won 6 games in two years-he has lots of high draft picks and lots of capital for this coming year-another 3-5 win season and he should be out of here. My opinion is he is just like the trash before him and so far his record confirms this.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

I think Smith was credited with one drop this season.  Mims two.  Mims has 1 more catch and 22 more yards on 7 more targets.  Maybe I should start some threads complaining about Smith not getting a fair opportunity.  Meanwhile Smith plays specials and the other guy doesn't.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Yeah, I held out hope for him until a few weeks ago. It's on him at this point. In the past I could understand a young guy on the Jets not getting playing time, because past coaches wouldn't play young guys. The current staff is trying to play as many young guys as possible, the WR core has been plagued with injuries all year, and still Mims rarely sees the field. When he has seen the field it's been penalties, drops, general ineffectiveness, and maybe possibly a rare catch. Which sucks because last year he showed some fight, and made some plays. It is what is. Fortunately 2020 was JDs first draft during an upside down year, and 2021 already looks far better. We'll see what 2022  brings talent wise. Hopefully Mims gets a chance in camp, get his sh*t straight, or gets cut for someone better.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

You're the same guy that wrote dissertations about how awesome Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg were going to be. Might be time to reconsider the way you evaluate things.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Dude let it go, the staff clearly don’t like him, and he’s built zero trust to have balls thrown his way. It may help if he got open every now and then.

Personally I’ve spent to much time over this clearly bust player. I’d sooner spend time talking about player who will be on the roster in 2022.

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Honest question, what kind of a season would you consider excelling?  If he goes elsewhere and doesn't get any playing time, will that be enough?  Or will I still be hearing Hackeberg-esque rumblings that he never got a chance?  Mims has the physical profile that will get him additional chances,  Laquon Treadwell seems to be making something of his third chance in Jacksonville, but I'm not ready to say that Minnesota made a mistake with him. 

Treadwell also plays specials which is a huge lift to being active on game day.  If Mims has the right attitude maybe he can do some of that too, but if the stories about him not learning offensive assignments are true, it is less likely that he will learn the roles for specials and he will frustrate more coaches.  That would make it more likely that he ends up like Josh Doctson who the Jets cut in May.  I've posted it before, but Mims had a decent stretch when he first started playing off the hamstring his rookie year.  Then he missed a game and he has, literally, sucked since.  He did not end his rookie year on a high note.  I hope he picks the right guys to train with this offseason and the light goes on, but I am not optimistic.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Smith was credited with one drop this season.  Mims two.  Mims has 1 more catch and 22 more yards on 7 more targets.  Maybe I should start some threads complaining about Smith not getting a fair opportunity.  Meanwhile Smith plays specials and the other guy doesn't.  

Smith has 2 drops in 14 targets......

13 hours ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Smith has 2 drops in 14 targets......

According to pro football reference he has 1 and Mims has 2 in 21.  Drops are not a "real" stat.  They are very subjective and you can find a variety of numbers online.  The actual point is that either of them would have to do a hell of a lot more before I start to wonder why they aren't getting more playing time.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

According to pro football reference he has 1 and Mims has 2 in 21.  Drops are not a "real" stat.  They are very subjective and you can find a variety of numbers online.  The actual point is that either of them would have to do a hell of a lot more before I start to wonder why they aren't getting more playing time.

I agree, the site i saw said he had 2 drops.......Besides Moore there is not another receiver who has shown anything in my view with the exception of Davis who although showed some good things not near what he was brought in here to do in my view, not sure how many drops he had but seems quite a few and a big fumble also........Cole has been disappointing to me too.......Berrios has been fine for what he does but he has a very low avg per reception.....We still need help at WR and please get the kid a dependable TE who can get downfield also.....

• Upvote 1

I would have liked to see at least one or two fades thrown to Mims in the end zone.  He has the size and catch radius to pull it off.  If there is one thing he could add to the offense, this would be it.

For whatever reason, the Jets are one of the few teams that doesn't seem to have this play in their playbook.  I don't recall them running one all season.  It's strange.

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

My first thought when I saw his reaction to getting drafted by the Jets was, "boy, he doesn't look too thrilled". He kinda seems like he doesn't give a f*ck, whether he's just unhappy in New York, or with football in general, who knows, but in retrospect, I kinda saw this coming.

Although, saying that, Becton had an amazing reaction to being drafted and immediately looked ready to run through a wall for this team, and now look what's happened.

I was pretty stoked when Mims, well, fell to us. He looked like exactly what I wanted in a new WR at the time: someone who could actually compete and win contested possessions. 

Then I saw his post pick zoom call with JD and I don’t think I’d ever seen someone so disinterested in being drafted into the NFL. It was mind-boggling, but two years later it all kind of makes sense. Dude is actually disinterested playing for this team and making a sh*t ton of money. Totally bizarre.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Honest question, what kind of a season would you consider excelling?  If he goes elsewhere and doesn't get any playing time, will that be enough?  Or will I still be hearing Hackeberg-esque rumblings that he never got a chance?  Mims has the physical profile that will get him additional chances,  Laquon Treadwell seems to be making something of his third chance in Jacksonville, but I'm not ready to say that Minnesota made a mistake with him. 

Treadwell also plays specials which is a huge lift to being active on game day.  If Mims has the right attitude maybe he can do some of that too, but if the stories about him not learning offensive assignments are true, it is less likely that he will learn the roles for specials and he will frustrate more coaches.  That would make it more likely that he ends up like Josh Doctson who the Jets cut in May.  I've posted it before, but Mims had a decent stretch when he first started playing off the hamstring his rookie year.  Then he missed a game and he has, literally, sucked since.  He did not end his rookie year on a high note.  I hope he picks the right guys to train with this offseason and the light goes on, but I am not optimistic.

Well certainly excelling is a relative term but if he goes to a team that attempts to utilize his strengths, I think he will demonstrate the ability he displayed in college.   One thing I think he needs to do is get in better shape.  Not saying he was in bad shape but he needs to work on his quickness and without question needs to improve his route running.  If can do those two things I think he can realize the potential that made him a 2nd round pick.    A lot will depend on what time he signs on with assuming he is cut.  I still think it would be dumb to cut him before a full offseason and training camp.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Dude let it go, the staff clearly don’t like him, and he’s built zero trust to have balls thrown his way. It may help if he got open every now and then.

Personally I’ve spent to much time over this clearly bust player. I’d sooner spend time talking about player who will be on the roster in 2022.

Why do you keep responding?  How do you build trust if they don't throw you the ball?  He has gotten open on many occasions especially earlier in the season.   This is a developmental season, he is a developmental player so why no interest in trying to develop him????  You seem to be really invested him him being a bust.  If that makes you feel better, knock yourself out.   Feel free to ignore this post. 

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why do you keep responding?  How do you build trust if they don't throw you the ball?  He has gotten open on many occasions especially earlier in the season.   This is a developmental season, he is a developmental player so why no interest in trying to develop him????  You seem to be really invested him him being a bust.  If that makes you feel better, knock yourself out.   Feel free to ignore this post. 

Because we see them a few hours a week.  They see these guys every day.  Practice matters.  It happens a lot around here that people forget practice is where players are truly evaluated.  The coaching staff knows far more about him than we possibly can.  They're not holding him back for a personal vendetta...

He's just not good.