Tip of the Hat to LeFlure

I don't understand why not pass?  4th and 2 is a tough get on the ground, even if you have a very good OL, much more so with a bunch of 2nd stringers in there.  IIRC, the Jets have not fared well in the last couple of years going for 4th and short.

Call whatever your best pass play to get Berrios open short, maybe a drag route?

At any rate, perhaps it is nice that the Jets even had a late game controversial play call on offense to argue about!

:-)

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That pic is not great evidence, Zach isn't even up on Center yet.  

If you want to prove there was space, you'd need to show the same picture at the second the ball was snapped.  Not 20 second before that.

Its a bear front or a tite 50, not exaclty what you want to run a qb sneak agaisnt regardless, but if its 1/2-1 yd you can manage with a really good C/G combo, but not 2. 

If youre going to run a sneak vs that look, youd have to read which way the nose slants or if he slants at all and run to the opposite A but youre relying on your guard to protect that A hard and allow room.  Its tough. 

If you re-watch the play, Zach ends up running into the back of AVT and his 3 IOL got zero push against the Bucs 3 DL. 

Considering the last time our QB ran into the back of his LG, I'd say that failing to convert on downs wasn't the worst-case scenario. 

image.jpeg.c139af6c796e347b7522f06b3cb83182.jpeg

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I agree with this. 

Saleh said LaFleur should have made it clear to Zach but frankly this is just a case of Zach being an idiot and not thinking for himself.

Regardless of the look of the front 7 you don't QB sneak on 4th and 2. It's unfair to blame the coaching staff. Wilson was a dope.

Wilson being a dope is nothing new. Just like when he was throwing it up to other teams every other throw and the coaches stepped in to correct it, it’s the coaches job to know when a player is a dope and direct them not to do dopey things. That’s the point.

Rex got rightfully blasted for a lot of things, but putting a play sheet on Sanchez’s wrist was good coaching for exactly these reasons.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Wilson being a dope is nothing new. Just like when he was throwing it up to other teams every other throw and the coaches stepped in to correct it, it’s the coaches job to know when a player is a dope and direct them not to do dopey things. That’s the point.

Rex got rightfully blasted for a lot of things, but putting a play sheet on Sanchez’s wrist was good coaching for exactly these reasons.

I get what you're saying but I can't blast the coaching staff for the QB not having common sense. 

30 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

I don't understand why not pass?  4th and 2 is a tough get on the ground, even if you have a very good OL, much more so with a bunch of 2nd stringers in there.  IIRC, the Jets have not fared well in the last couple of years going for 4th and short.

Call whatever your best pass play to get Berrios open short, maybe a drag route?

At any rate, perhaps it is nice that the Jets even had a late game controversial play call on offense to argue about!

Yes, I was all for going for it. I said it in the moment that they should run the Jet sweep action with Berrios but have a TE leak out on the backside and roll Zach out to that side. Given the earlier success of the sweep, if executed correctly, it would have left the TE open on a busted coverage, or at the worst it would have left the weak side LB in an impossible one on one with the TE where he’d have to choose whether to cover the TE or stop Zach from scrambling for the first.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

maybe I am mistaken but it seems like we were running the ball that drive when tampa knew we would be running to chew time off the clock.

was impressed that we ran the ball as well as we did as a whole for the game. Zack was precise and he did check out of a ton of plays at the line all game.  I thought he "yipped" that outlet pass but was thankful that our TE bailed him out before trying to hurdle another human being and hurting himself.  I think that was the play anyway.

To me, it was what I had hoped for.  our offense looked good, young secondary held their own for the most part for the guys that will be here next year anyway. We took the L but this L was different than the ones with Zack wormburning outlet passes.

5 hours ago, section314 said:

That's why you use another TO. Leave no grey area. It was only the game.?

They had already used a timeout. If they called a second they could have got a delay of game penalty, then it's 4th and 7.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:22 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

1) A QB sneak - whether as an option or as the actual call should never have been part of the equation on 4th and 2 given all of the circumstances surrounding the OL, the Bucs DL, and our proven inability to gain short yardage on QB sneaks dating back to the preseason. 
2) If for whatever forsaken reason LaFleur felt absolutely necessary to call a play where the QB sneak was an option, he should have communicated to Zach in the affirmative that in no way should he be sneaking the ball, and that he needs to hand it off to Braxton.
3) Even if the handoff had occurred, Braxton was visibly injured prior to the 4th down play.

The fact that you have to play this many games to try to prove the call could have been effective is evidence enough that it was a bad call. 

I've already responded too many times to people in this thread, so I'll leave with this:

I'm not sure why people are having such issue with me calling out a bad play call when I see it. Go back and search my history. I'm one of the few guys who defended LaFleur early in the season when Wilson was sh*tting the bed, and I've consistently been one of the first to praise him. I love the guy and am stoked that we finally have a progressive mind at OC who also seems to have a pulse on calling games. All of that said, that QB sneak option was just a bad play call from him. Bad calls happen from time to time, but hopefully this specific scenario never does again because he's learned from it. 

Guess the latest news backs this up.