Jets & Braxton Berrios have started talking extension

28 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

According to sportrac, his market value is 4 yrs, $23,690,074 for and average salary of $5,922,518

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/braxton-berrios-25311/market-value/

Seems good to me. Essentially would replace Crowder or Cole's cap figures, as both guys are being paid around $5.5M this year.

Those guys have produced more than Berrios over their careers, but Berrios is an ascending player who will be in demand if he hits FA.

Ultimately, it might cost more than that - especially if he reaches, or gets near to, FA and other suitors can get involved.

Getting him in the $6M average range on a 4 year deal would be very good business, IMO.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Weeks ago, i had him at 3 years 12 million.  I think that has changed now.  Maybe he does get 7 mill a year.

You had him there last week.  LOL.  I have him 3 years at $18M with $13-15M guaranteed.  

What we don’t know is if he is getting a legit shot at #1 slot with E Moore on the outside or if he is being viewed as a return ace with spot WR duty.

His market value will be highest if he can do all 3.  If I’m him, I want a legit shot at starting slot and am giving up one of my return duties.  Probably punt although that is where I see him more valuable compared to kickoff.

33 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s something of a mix of Brad Smith and Wayne Chrebet. I wouldn’t want to open the season with him as anything more than the #4 WR, but he’s likely to be the starting slot some weeks have plays designed for him every week. I’m not sure what you pay for that, but I’d like to see him locked up. 

That's exactly what I said to my wife wile we were watching the game. He's like Wayne Chrebet but faster and gives the added dimension of a solid reliable kick/punt returner. The guy did not muff one punt that I remember all year and when we were looking for a guy to fill that role 3 -4 years ago I'm sure you all remember that debacle.

Wonder is he wins Jets MVP this year ? Not too far fetched Since the other candidates Moore and Carter have both missed numerous games

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Jets always negotiate when players have maximum leverage. It’s actually hilarious.

Agreed, we should give players extensions after multiple bad weeks and just let our good players walk so we can whine how we never keep our good players.

It's also really boring to actually read these contracts and learn, like the details. We  have an out after 2022 with JFM with 1.2 million dead cap which is basically nothing. So it's basically a 1 year extension. 

I assume Berrios will get a similar contract that is also  just a 1/2 year extension with fluffy, meaningless years after that.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

imo they should try and re-sign berrios.  let crowder walk and put moore in the slot with berrios as depth.  then they need to find a wide receiver in the draft and/or via free agency.  davis is okay but he's still not a no. 1. i know people say crowder is better than berrios and he probably is but has also missed quite a few games and doesn't field punts or kick offs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

He's developed himself from just a "return guy" into an actual WR.
Berrios has done everything Mims needed to do:

- Develop chemistry with Wilson
- Develop his skills to where he gives off a "Chrebet vibe"
- Mastered the "jet sweep" in this offense to where its becoming
a "go to" play

To be fair, I doubt Mims had the jet sweep in him. Mims is fast, but not necessarily that quick - quick is what you need for that kind of play and PR, KR. Nor was Mims a prime candidate for Chrebet vibe - an average athlete who plays tougher - but I agree, Mims had chances to shine in what he was expected to be - fast WR who uses size and speed to get advantage over defense.

JD should have moved sooner, but as good as he is, Berrios is not a top tier receiver - he also has more value here than other teams. He will get a good contract, but we can afford it.

• Sympathy 1

You can call Berrios WR 4, but given how much WRs get hurt WRs, WR4 plays alot, particularly if he is also playing specials.  

How many WRs have played for the Jets this year?  I would think at least 8.    We started the season with FA Davis, Mims, Moore, FAs Cole and Crowder for $11mm in total, Berrios and the other guys.  If Berrios replaces one of Cole or Crowder (or both) in terms of cap space, we sign another Cole or Crowder and then hopefully draft someone to replace Mims, we will be in better shape.  Cutting or trading Mims saves $725K of cap space.  At this point I would take that and a low round draft pick.