Jets & Braxton Berrios have started talking extension

Patriot Killa

Who is Berrios' agent? Frankly, unless Braxton has a keen desire to remain a jet, I'd tell him to wait and allow the market to set his value. Quite honestly, after the game he had against the Buc, Brady may tell the Bucs to go after the kid. 
Looks like a Patriot to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

I would say that's a fair price for a #3 or #4 WR with above average special teams contributions.  Maybe I'm off?

Just looked up Crowder.  He got 3 yrs / $28.5M (in 2019).  Berrios can be a starting slot WR and automatically touches the ball a minimum of something like 5 - 7 times per game between kickoffs and punt returns.

But besides being a capable WR3 and a KR/PR, I think he really showed his value to step in as a full-time player and handle WR1/2 duties in a pinch since Davis, Moore, Crowder and others have been out.  The Jets were scraping the bottom of the WR depth chart to field guys yesterday and Tampa still had a hard time with Berrios being the only real threat the Jets had.

Final thought - This Saleh/LaFleur regime puts a premium on guys who can play multiple positions and this idea of "positionless" players.  Berrios fits that absolutely perfectly.  They use him in so many ways.  He's a guy you hate to love because he doesn't check the traditional boxes of size, physicality, huge catch radius, etc..... but he deserves the love he's getting because he does so many things well.

Combine what the Jets would be paying Crowder and Mims.... then give Berrios like 80% of that! lol

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I mean is this like a JFM where he has 2 good games and we overpay?

He's the type of guy you want on your team but as a role player.  I'm hoping $4-5 mill per year with 2 yrs and 3rd yr option.

He doesn't get separation and you mostly have to scheme him the ball, he's 5'9".  He has a new found burst and his ST returns have really improved.  Love the kid but only at the right price.

Ready to let Keelan Cole walk btw.  

Yep, there’s never a better time to start negotiations with a player when their leverage is at its highest!!!…will be very interesting to see what he eventually gets but after the JFM debacle I’m nervous. Solid player who has really stepped up the last couple of weeks but what is his ceiling and will Douglas play hardball like he has with others and strike a very team friendly deal that reflects Berrios true value or panic and overpay a la JFM? His primary value is on ST’s and he’s become an excellent returner but are we really pinning our hopes in him ever being anything other than our 4th or 5th WR? 

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

His market value will be highest if he can do all 3.  If I’m him, I want a legit shot at starting slot and am giving up one of my return duties.  Probably punt although that is where I see him more valuable compared to kickoff.

Why not all 3? With today's pansy rules, there's not a lot of opportunities for KO returns anyway. 

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Jets always negotiate when players have maximum leverage. It’s actually hilarious.

Were you looking to extending him before the start of the season? I imagine if JD had, a lot of people here would have been whining about it until the last couple of games. At least he's not waiting until the end of the season/FA period to do so, which the last GM did.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is going to be interesting. We will see unfortunately I believe what type of player he really is next year. We will see if Joe values him over the role player jag he is or as a valuable player on the roster.

I have a feeling I will be proved right once again and that Joe will not over pay.

I have to admit it is easy to fall into the trap that always happens, player looks good reletive to other crap players but is still in fact crap after we pay them.

Please God don't give him huge contract

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

He's the type of guy you want on your team but as a role player.  I'm hoping $4-5 mill per year with 2 yrs and 3rd yr option.

He doesn't get separation and you mostly have to scheme him the ball, he's 5'9".  He has a new found burst and his ST returns have really improved.  Love the kid but only at the right price.

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

https://thejetpress.com/2020/07/08/ny-jets-10-fastest-players-roster/amp/

He runs a 4.44 40 yd dash and is listed among the Jets fastest players

Speed really isnt his issue and he has very good hands.   He isnt the biggest target if you want to gripe about something.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

So what is your minimum price for Berrios then?  

And at that price are you resigning him to be a starter at WR?

He’s the #1 WR on this team, and probably the team MVP, so yeah I’m definitely looking for him to get a starter’s reps, and play specials also.

The cap is going up, salaries will also. I value a Berrios more than a Robbie Anderson, and look what he got two years ago.

I think 3-4 years is fair, but the $$$ mentioned here are low. If I were him and the Jets didn’t offer me 10m per, I’d thank them for the memories and look to go play for a contender.

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Wishful thinking IMO.
If Douglas is offering those type numbers, Berrios will go FA.

I bet we're surprised.  I wouldn't be shocked if Berrios signs for around $16 M total contract value. He's not stupid. He's got great rapport with the young QB, he's a core ST'er, but he's a 3/4 option in most teams, and will be next year behind Rookie #1 WR/Moore/Davis. 

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

Keep in mind Berrios does many of those end around that are unstoppable for 1+ yards i.e like what should have been done for our last offensive play, and was used multiple times in the last how many games.

56 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

This is going to be interesting. We will see unfortunately I believe what type of player he really is next year. We will see if Joe values him over the role player jag he is or as a valuable player on the roster.

I have a feeling I will be proved right once again and that Joe will not over pay.

I have to admit it is easy to fall into the trap that always happens, player looks good reletive to other crap players but is still in fact crap after we pay them.

Please God don't give him huge contract

at least with berrios, you’ll get a lot.  His reliability on returns is important and you can run trick plays with him too.  He can be even more effective if the jets can add at least one more legit wr talent and a real TE.  He’s exactly what saleh wants as his culture change example, the polar opposite of mims/becton.  

25 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

He’s the #1 WR on this team, and probably the team MVP, so yeah I’m definitely looking for him to get a starter’s reps, and play specials also.

The cap is going up, salaries will also. I value a Berrios more than a Robbie Anderson, and look what he got two years ago.

I think 3-4 years is fair, but the $$$ mentioned here are low. If I were him and the Jets didn’t offer me 10m per, I’d thank them for the memories and look to go play for a contender.

Wow.  Ok.  3 for 30 is your happy number, got it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

bornjetsfan1983 or whatever it is obviously has to just delete that account and start over, right?  You really can't rebound from this one.

I hope not. I want him to quintuple down and keep that thread alive. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1