Jets & Braxton Berrios have started talking extension

25 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I would think next season Berrios will be off special teams and playing more WR. If the Jets feel the same way they could pay him as a starter here without a problem. Especially if they take a WR early they can move on from Davis after next season.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I doubt that. ST is a huge part of why he's valuable.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s steep, but that little sh*t catches whatever is thrown to him and  runs his balls off. Not sure what it’s worth but like to see them make it work, 

I admit, I'm having trouble with the counter-narratives at JN, that Zach needs weapons to do well and can't do well with wat we have, and we need a 3 for 30 million Berrios.

I think, as always seems to happen, Jets Fans are hyperinflating a guy into the stratosphere based on basically one game.  A loss at that.

Last year it was Mims.  Now it's Berrios, third stinger-turned-all-pro superstud 30 million guy.

I look forward to the hype machine finally being right, and Berrios not turning into a pumpkin next year when he's starting (and at 3/30 million, he damn well better be starting).

Davis/Moore/Berrios?  Not sure thats a winning formula myself.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I admit, I'm having trouble with the counter-narratives at JN, that Zach needs weapons to do well and can't do well with wat we have, and we need a 3 for 30 million Berrios.

I think, as always seems to happen, Jets Fans are hyperinflating a guy into the stratosphere based on basically one game.  A loss at that.

Last year it was Mims.  Now it's Berrios, third stinger-turned-all-pro superstud 30 million guy.

I look forward to the hype machine finally being right, and Berrios not turning into a pumpkin next year when he's starting (and at 3/30 million, he damn well better be starting).

Yeah, 3/30 is ridiculous. I think Berrios is a good player and has earned a new deal, but I’m hoping for something more along the lines of 3 for 15 or less. He’s a solid return guy and a 3rd or 4th wr. 10 million a year is preposterous and I can’t see JD going that route. At least I hope he doesn’t.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is that what these idiots here are doing? Elevating Berrios to #1 WR status? Asking that he get paid Antonio Brown money?

All I desire is to not let him get away for a fair contract that he's earned here.

Nobody sane thinks Berrios (my negro) is the second coming of even Wayne Chrebet. BUT, when the Jets have needed plays ALL F*CK!NG YEAR, not just this game, Berrios has been the guy showing up most on film as making a play. Yeah, he's undersized. So, the Jets definitely need to continue to acquire SIZE at the WR spot. But needing size doesn't mean you don't need a playmaker, regardless of size. 

I don't think the Jets will need to overpay for Berrios. He's having too much fun here. But of course they should pay the man for his clutchness, which is what every SB needs.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Jets always negotiate when players have maximum leverage. It’s actually hilarious.

On extensions, yes.

However Douglas did approach Crowder on a pay cut by timing his leverage. By the time he was approached, Crowder was trapped into a corner.

Maccagnan was the king of surrendering leverage, though. Never saw anything like it before or since.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree. Davis can’t catch, Moore and Berrios can. Not sure it’s relatable or dependent on Zach as much as it could be. I’m a big simple fool, want guys that can catch the ball when thrown to them. I would pay them and drop the drop droppity drop guys. Right? 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

This is how you build a team. Baltimore does this, sign players cheap before they realize how good they are. Berrios will grow with Zach and Moore. The Jets need a Dominant big body that Mims is not. Treylon Burks is the pick early 2nd.

Except this is one game shy of waiting as long as possible. Only one more game of risk, where Berrios could get badly injured before getting paid. Not nothing, but not a whole lot either.

That's a classic Maccagnan move to wait until the player has played his last game under his current contract. That's when he made his offers to Enunwa, Mo, Harris, Winters, etc. Guy had manure for brains.

JD's m-o is to extend players during a brief, career-best stretch (which promptly ends before the ink is dry): Griffin, JFM, and now Berrios.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The problem in that lineup isn't Berrios though. It's Davis.  Berrios is a fine #3/#4 type guy.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Berrios is a 4th WR and return man and a pretty good one at that.  He should be paid at the top end  of what that is...

Davis/Moore/1st round WR and a legit TE is a winning formula - Michael Carter in the backfield..  And Berrios the gadget guy - backfield, slot, wide out - he's very good when he can get in space...

No excuses for Wilson with those weapons.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

The problem in that lineup isn't Berrios though. It's Davis.  Berrios is a fine #3/#4 type guy.

We have to hope Davis's hands this year were a bit of an aberration.  

As a #1 he was a weak link - as a #3 he's actually pretty good.  If he can catch.

Gotta take a WR in the 1st.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

This is going to be interesting. We will see unfortunately I believe what type of player he really is next year. We will see if Joe values him over the role player jag he is or as a valuable player on the roster.

I have a feeling I will be proved right once again and that Joe will not over pay.

I have to admit it is easy to fall into the trap that always happens, player looks good reletive to other crap players but is still in fact crap after we pay them.

Please God don't give him huge contract

Well unfortunately Berrios isn't a crap player, so that kind of ruins your analogy.

24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I agree. Davis can’t catch, Moore and Berrios can. Not sure it’s relatable or dependent on Zach as much as it could be. I’m a big simple fool, want guys that can catch the ball when thrown to them. I would pay them and drop the drop droppity drop guys. Right? 

Davis caught just fine prior to this year. 2019 was @62.3%.  2020 was @70.3%

For Comparison, Berrios in 2020 was @67.3% and in 2021 has been @70.8%.

If we want to argue Berrios catches Zach's balls better than Davis catches Zach's balls, that would be demonstrable, given Davis's 57.6% number for 2021.

Or, Davis could just be having a bad year. 

For all the "we must give player X time!" demands, it's interesting how fast fans are dumping Davis at WR already.

No one was dumping the beloved Anderson for his catch rate (56.2% lifetime) but Davis (60.7%) is a one and done droppy bust?

Fickle, goes the homer fans:  

Some of the same guys who told me I was a bad fan for not believing Corey Davis was a legit #1, no question, now want to sell him after one season as a bust working with a rookie QB who can't break a 60% completion rate?

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As a #1 he was a weak link - as a #3 he's actually pretty good.  If he can catch.

So presume we do, who are your starting 1, 2 and Slot WR's?

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So you're cutting Davis after a single season then, to fit Berrios into the starting 3 with Moore and....1st round draft pick I presume?

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Berrios is a 4th WR and return man and a pretty good one at that.  He should be paid at the top end  of what that is...

Davis/Moore/1st round WR and a legit TE is a winning formula - Michael Carter in the backfield..  And Berrios the gadget guy - backfield, slot, wide out - he's very good when he can get in space...

No excuses for Wilson with those weapons.

Sounds fine to me.  Especially that last line.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'd like us to take a WR with one of our first round picks.

Have him be our #1, Davis our #2, Moore our #3 in the slot, berrios #4, and then dump cole and mims, I'm sure crowder will be gone as well, bring in some nice depth guys to replace them.

Would like another mid round WR and a couple more FA pick ups.

Take a TE in the 2nd round.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Davis caught just fine prior to this year. 2019 was @62.3%.  2020 was @70.3%

For Comparison, Berrios in 2020 was @67.3% and in 2021 has been @70.8%.

If we want to argue Berrios catches Zach's balls better than Davis catches Zach's balls, that would be demonstrable, given Davis's 57.6% number for 2021.

Or, Davis could just be having a bad year. 

For all the "we must give player X time!" demands, it's interesting how fast fans are dumping Davis at WR already.

No one was dumping the beloved Anderson for his catch rate (56.2% lifetime) but Davis (60.7%) is a one and done droppy bust?

Fickle, goes the homer fans:  

Some of the same guys who told me I was a bad fan for not believing Corey Davis was a legit #1, no question, now want to sell him after one season as a bust working with a rookie QB who can't break a 60% completion rate?

Nice!  Putting numbers in because you know I know you use to counting  the beans! Yet, I also know me you both want anyone that can catch the ball and that BYU kid to lead is to the promise land. Is that too much to ask? 

• Upvote 1