Jump to content

Will We Upgrade DCoordinator?


Adoni Beast
 Share

Recommended Posts

There are a lot of holes on this roster (especially on the D) that much is obvious.

But I think that Ulbrich has done a truly putrid job even with the lack of talent excuse.

So do we think Saleh replaces Ulbrich? We might have a couple of good options becoming available in a week's time.

Mike Zimmer and Vic Fangio are two that I think will be let go of their HC spots who probably won't be getting 2nd opportunities elsewhere as a HC.

  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While the defense has been bad, I'm not exactly sure how much has been from scheme than lack of talent and experience.  Obviously from the youth movement post training camp in combination with a myriad of injuries to guys that were looking to play key roles this year early on results have not been stellar. However we've seen potential from a lot of these guys, and I have to assume that's from good coaching. 

I trust that Saleh knows the plan for this defense, and if Ulbrich is a part of that plan I'm on board for at least another year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if you CAN upgrade…

…theres a candidate identified that for whatever masochistic reasons actually wants this job, you do it and don’t look back.

If theres no clear cut upgrade who wants the job, then you roll another year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh is the defensive coordinator and he’s not bringing in a single human that could realistically take his job.

I think he has truly been trying to be the CEO coach and allow his coordinators to run their units.

Hiring a Zimmer or Fangio won’t be a threat to Saleh.

If LaFleur makes Zack into a star but the team and D keep losing…then LaFleur would be the threat to Saleh.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think it would be a mistake. This defense is really really bad but we are in year 1 of a switch from 3-4 to a 4-3 and Ulbrich lost the 3 players that were suppose to help with that transition: Lawson, Joyner, and Curry. We traded away Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams, both good moves but still pulled talent from that side of the ball. We have spent the last 2 off-season's putting all our premium assets on the Offensive side of the ball. IMO we should give the guy a chance to see how he does with any talent on the field. He had us looking good the first 1/3 of the season with scraps.

I’m a Fangio fan but you have convinced me that giving Ulbrich another year is the fair thing to do. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They aren't firing Ulbrich. They wanted to go young this year with players and with coaches. 

The Jets just aren't very talented on defense. It's a lot of late round picks in that secondary looking to prove themselves, a D-Line that is missing edge rushers, and journeyman linebackers mixed in with CJ Mosley. 

They need more players. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

A guy over on Jet X wrote a pretty good article a while back on Ulbrich and the system he's trying to implement.  I think it was in a thread here. Bottom line = he's trying to replicate what Dan Quinn built up in Seattle but needs 4-5 All Pros to make it work...

I suspect if you had 4 or 5 all pro's you can make any defense work.

Question is - did the system make the 4 all pro's or did the system work because he had the all-pro's...

I suspect it's the latter - which isn't encouraging - but I am far from giving up on him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last seven games the Jets defense has given up 24, 14, 33, 30, 24 ,21, and 28 points. Not exactly unheard of in the offensive heavy NFL. While this is far from great it is an improvement from the 54, 45, 45 point games we were giving up mid season. I cant see how Ulbrich will be let go

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's almost the offseason - we're about to get his adjustments!

Seriously though - I haven't been impressed by the guy, but given what Saleh has been preaching about building the team I highly doubt Ulbrich goes anywhere after one year. The only way I could see them possibly replacing Ulbrich is if a well respected, experienced coach in this defensive  scheme shakes free. I don't know who that guy might even be - maybe some of you have ideas. Do Zimmer or Fangio fall into that category?

Aside from that - I doubt they want to start at square one with defensive coordinator in 2022. 

Beat me to it. I think the only way they even consider it if somebody like that gets on the market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right now that's probably the worst thing they can do. They have a lot of young kids on D who got a tremendous NFL education this season, albeit w/o very good results. To start over again next season would be a big mistake, continuity and growth is the key here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I give Ulbrich a pass on this year cause the personnel they were running out there on defense was truly comical. Let’s see him with a year under his belt and I’d assume some type of upgrade before we get ready to ax him next year 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

There are a lot of holes on this roster (especially on the D) that much is obvious.

But I think that Ulbrich has done a truly putrid job even with the lack of talent excuse.

So do we think Saleh replaces Ulbrich? We might have a couple of good options becoming available in a week's time.

Mike Zimmer and Vic Fangio are two that I think will be let go of their HC spots who probably won't be getting 2nd opportunities elsewhere as a HC.

Maybe we do, but this argument has a bit of the following feel:

Restaurant hires a young Gordon Ramsay to run their new restaurant, but gives him nothing but McDonald's food to cook for a year.

"This young guy didn't do much with what we gave him.  We should move on after this year is up."

He was given a decent safety, 5 rookies to fill out the secondary, one of the worst LB core in the NFL, his star edge rusher is lost to an achilles injury for the year, and a line made up of a potential star player and a bunch of cast-offs.  The defense has sucked to an epic proportion this year.  But it seems we are asking Ulbrich to create French Haute cuisines with Cracker Barrell ingredients.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Right now that's probably the worst thing they can do. They have a lot of young kids on D who got a tremendous NFL education this season, albeit w/o very good results. To start over again next season would be a big mistake, continuity and growth is the key here. 

To be fair; in today's NFL when a ball is out in less than 2 seconds, those young guys held up pretty good.  I mean, we were getting coverage sacks that seemed to take 7 seconds to happen.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think it would be a mistake. This defense is really really bad but we are in year 1 of a switch from 3-4 to a 4-3 and Ulbrich lost the 3 players that were suppose to help with that transition: Lawson, Joyner, and Curry. We traded away Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams, both good moves but still pulled talent from that side of the ball. We have spent the last 2 off-season's putting all our premium assets on the Offensive side of the ball. IMO we should give the guy a chance to see how he does with any talent on the field. He had us looking good the first 1/3 of the season with scraps.

Don't forget he also has something like the Jet's #7 and #8 Safeties.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i don’t know what to say except this is such a bad idea - lombardi himself couldn’t make the defensive unit function better than it has - the paucity of talent combined with injuries makes this a red shirt year for ulbrich - thank god op doesn’t run anything but his mouth - just a silly post really


Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think ulbrich is safe.  saleh/douglas don't strike me as the types who make decisions without analyzing all of the data.  they'll look at each game in detail and see if the scheme is the problem or the player or the scheme not being coached right.  there's also every reason to think they're going to close some major holes in the defense during this off season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I suspect if you had 4 or 5 all pro's you can make any defense work.

Question is - did the system make the 4 all pro's or did the system work because he had the all-pro's...

I suspect it's the latter - which isn't encouraging - but I am far from giving up on him.

I read that article which said the system needed high level talent to make it work, but what system doesn't?  Everybody is too good in the NFL to just scheme your way to victory.  When we think of the great defenses in history, the 85 bears, the 86 Giants, the 2000 Ravens, the 70s Steelers, they all had HOF players and were all different.  It's the Jimmies and Joes not the Xs and Os as they say and I don't think this system needs more high level players to be good than any other one. That being said, you do need good coaching to recognize talent, maximize player potential, and make the right calls in a game, and we don't know if Ulbricht is good yet based on this year, but Saleh seems like a loyal guy and I doubt he cuts him loose so soon.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

They aren't firing Ulbrich. They wanted to go young this year with players and with coaches. 

The Jets just aren't very talented on defense. It's a lot of late round picks in that secondary looking to prove themselves, a D-Line that is missing edge rushers, and journeyman linebackers mixed in with CJ Mosley. 

They need more players. 

Agreed. I can't even name our linebackers besides Quincy Williams, and we're on like our 7th strong safety this year? We're actually playing an undrafted free agent starting at free safety. Come on man it's a skeleton crew. The defensive line has been banged up or sick all year this basically mirrors what Gase had to work with on offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...