Will We Upgrade DCoordinator?

I think the secondary has played well. Yes, even Davis.

Quincy Williams was a nice surprise even though he has been inconsistent. CJ has looked weak. And the Jets are getting nothing from the other LB position.

The DL has been a disappointment, but injuries happen.

I expect the Jets to select 2-3 defensive players with their top 4 picks this year. Edge and LB at the minimum.

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

The last seven games the Jets defense has given up 24, 14, 33, 30, 24 ,21, and 28 points. Not exactly unheard of in the offensive heavy NFL. While this is far from great it is an improvement from the 54, 45, 45 point games we were giving up mid season. I cant see how Ulbrich will be let go

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

The last seven games the Jets defense has given up 24, 14, 33, 30, 24 ,21, and 28 points. Not exactly unheard of in the offensive heavy NFL. While this is far from great it is an improvement from the 54, 45, 45 point games we were giving up mid season. I cant see how Ulbrich will be let go

The offense was perpetually 3 and out early in the season which gave the other offense a lot of opportunities.   With us running the ball better it’s limiting the other teams chances, and which helps keep our D fresher as well.   It’s a team game.

While I don't think Ulbrich did a good job, I'd like to see how he does with an upgraded roster. He and Saleh foolishly stayed true to their system instead of molding the defense based on personnel. This may have been by design to find out who remains in the system and who gets replaced. Unless there are personality conflicts, nobody is going anywhere.

No. This is fanspeak. Saleh is a defensive coach. Ulbrich is an extension of Saleh. He is running the system and even, to an extent the plays that Saleh wants to run. Saleh hired him. This is their first year putting this defense together and having the young players run this system. The 3 most important aspects of having this system succeed were decimated by injuries. The Safety position- Maye. The Edge- Lawson. and the LB position. 

I think once they bring in talent to the safety and edge positions (whether it be Maye and Lawson coming back, via FA or the draft or a combination of the two) and they are healthy, the defense will be vastly improved. They need help at LB but if they had a decent pass rush and talent at the Safety position it would take a lot of stress off the LBs.  

He's not getting fired. 

*This is also why I think the Jets will 1. Go Edge with one of their top 10 picks. And 2. Could potentially draft Hamilton in the top 10 (even though most fans' heads will explode).  

Ulbrich did not impress, but we ended last year with a bad defense and then went out and did this in the offseason:

Draft picks- 2 1sts, 2nd and 4th on offense. (didn't take a defensive player until the 5th round)

Free Agency- Only big signing was Lawson, who didn't play a down. 

So unless there was mutiny by our defensive players, Ulbrich was always going to get a 2nd year, which is only fair given the talent that he was given. 

On the other side of the ball Lafleur should be given Coordinator of the year consideration given what he has accomplished with a rookie QB, multiple backup QBs, makeshift oline, no tight ends, WRs that got hurt and missed a ton of time and RB room that lost their player for a multiple weeks. 

They aren't going to toss Ulbrich. He enjoys the same pass this year as the other coaches and young players. Not only is it a new regime but a team with a ton of young talent and injuries with key players. There has to be some degree of consistency within the organization for people to feel like they can do their job without constantly fearing termination or making conservative decisions to avoid attention.

If Saleh thought Ulbrich was doing so poorly that he had to go I would expect Saleh to have taken playcalling duties away from him. If Ulbrich was such a failure that he had to go in one year despite roster issues then you wouldn't want to keep giving the guy full control over the defense week over week.

How close are Saleh's ties to Ulbrich?  I understand why everybody is complaining, but it is silly to think that Saleh is going to take on an established guy he hasn't worked with.  Can't see him going for Zimmer or Fangio.  If Gus Bradley or Carroll were loose at least it would rate discussion, but this is a defensive guy.  I don't see him wanting somebody else's system. 

We knew they were going in for offense this year and installing the D.  Sucking was no surprise.  I'd hoped for some bump from coaching, but the injuries are a valid excuse. With Lawson, and Joyner, it would be like if Rex lost Scott and Leonhard 10 snaps into 2009.  Worse, because the replacements were hurt too (Vinny Curry and Ashtyn Davis)

I read that article which said the system needed high level talent to make it work, but what system doesn't?  Everybody is too good in the NFL to just scheme your way to victory.  When we think of the great defenses in history, the 85 bears, the 86 Giants, the 2000 Ravens, the 70s Steelers, they all had HOF players and were all different.  It's the Jimmies and Joes not the Xs and Os as they say and I don't think this system needs more high level players to be good than any other one. That being said, you do need good coaching to recognize talent, maximize player potential, and make the right calls in a game, and we don't know if Ulbricht is good yet based on this year, but Saleh seems like a loyal guy and I doubt he cuts him loose so soon.

thanks for an intelligent post - we need more like this around here

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

42 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

The offense was perpetually 3 and out early in the season which gave the other offense a lot of opportunities.   With us running the ball better it’s limiting the other teams chances, and which helps keep our D fresher as well.   It’s a team game.

Points well taken. More support for not firing Ulbrich

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

I read that article which said the system needed high level talent to make it work, but what system doesn't?  Everybody is too good in the NFL to just scheme your way to victory.  When we think of the great defenses in history, the 85 bears, the 86 Giants, the 2000 Ravens, the 70s Steelers, they all had HOF players and were all different.  It's the Jimmies and Joes not the Xs and Os as they say and I don't think this system needs more high level players to be good than any other one. That being said, you do need good coaching to recognize talent, maximize player potential, and make the right calls in a game, and we don't know if Ulbricht is good yet based on this year, but Saleh seems like a loyal guy and I doubt he cuts him loose so soon.

85 bears is probably a bad example for the point you're making. No one knew how to deal with the 46 yet.

I do agree with your point though.

4 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

A guy over on Jet X wrote a pretty good article a while back on Ulbrich and the system he's trying to implement.  I think it was in a thread here. Bottom line = he's trying to replicate what Dan Quinn built up in Seattle but needs 4-5 All Pros to make it work...

Oh thats all? haha

If I had to guess, at least 2 of the Jets top 4 picks will be spent on offensive players.   Hopefully FA $ are focused on defense.  

So the defense is going to rely on FAs and lower round picks again, plus Lawson returning.  I do think that the Jets can find the S and LBs in FA and lower rounds.  

Foley and Shepherd will likely be gone as well.   Mosely will likely be asked to earn his contract, regardless of how he actually plays.  

In addition to the money burn from terminating contracts early, it is not a great reputation look either.  Ulbrich/Saleh should get another year.   If the defense looks this bad next year but the offense is doing well, Saleh will likely get a third year and chance to bring in another DC (even though Saleh is likely the de facto DC).