It’s Happening Now

ncjetman

19 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

We are starting to see the future of this team and unlike many other posters I am truly excited - for all those doom and gloomers I say pay attention because this Jets team is fueling up and will be taking off big time.

We have a real GM ( sorry Negative Nancy’s ) - this years draft class proves he’s put together a scouting team that can pick the right prospects and we have added four major pieces on offense ( Carter, Moore, AVT and most importantly the one piece we have to have ZW franchise quarterback) - on defense we have a young secondary that is playing well and a young soon to be #1 corner in Hall - of course we need much more on D but hat will come soon.

We finally have a real coaching staff led by Coach Saleh who clearly knows what he’s doing - for example he started LaFleur on the field but recognizing it wasn’t working let him move upstairs and the results speak for themselves - LaFleur has emerged as a terrific OC in his first year - I’m pretty sure with a complete offseason to work with young players that next season will see the offense take another step up - Brent Boyer has continued doing excellent work with Special Teams - resign Berrios and we don’t have to even pay attention to this unit - best SpecialTeams Coordinator since Westhoff - Ulbrich is a question mark but will get another year ( with infusion of defensive talent) to prove he’s the right guy - kinda feel like he’s coaching with one hand tied behind his back due to youth injuries etc

Lastly we have finally found our FQ - Wilson has improved significantly since week one and that’s what everyone wanted and expected before season started - the kids now showing coolness in the pocket ( no happy feet anymore) is going through his progressions properly and completing tough passes - all without top receivers running backs and multiple OL - played Brady straight up until very end - I for one don’t want to hear gratuitous criticism- it’s unwarranted and sorry but just plain stupid - can’t prove it of course but by this time next year our QB problems will be but a bad memory.

The entire Jets management team has weathered the absolute worst of the learning process - everyone has turned the corner - all serious questions about Douglas and Saleh and staff have been answered and considering how shaky we were coming out of the gate I am very impressed with the recent improvements.

We need so much talent to get to next level but I am uber confident that Douglas is up to the task and Saleh and staff will make he most of players talent - the foundation has been laid - let’s enjoy the building of a perennial contender before our eyes.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

true enough there are some positives.  the offense did come around and wilson looks considerably better than at season's start.  bring in a te, wr, rg, and oline depth and this offense could be very good.  the defense was just beaten up the whole season.  they need some better players at lb and safety and an edge guy.

• Upvote 2

Agree with the optimism on all fronts. Now we just need to see consistency in ZW. But last week was awesome. That out pass on the Berrios TD was a difficult across the field laser perfectly placed as was the dart in the post to Cole. 

ZW was in command and sharp. Made the easy passes…with ease. Seemed to be clicking - now just needs to do it again.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

lol.  Do you know how many freakin' times I've heard that?

Too many times.

Like my friends in Missouri say, "Show me".

Well its good because whatever you have heard in the past has nothing to do with where this team is going under Douglas and Saleh’s direction.

Did u watch Sunday??  They are showing you.  When u go toe to toe w/ the super bowl champs, that is success in year 1 of a total rebuild.

Hang in there jet fans.  Its happening!!!

• Upvote 2

The Jets could have an excellent offseason and secure a wildcard spot next year.

Or the injury bug could hit like it always does and they end up with 5-6 wins in a "could have been" season.

I'm predicting it'll be somewhere in the middle with an 8-9 win season while being in the hunt in December.

With the recent track record of the team, that has to feel like success right?  While I am not writing off next year in any way, as I believe the staff COULD pull it off, I think 2023 will be the true barometer of the staffs full potential.  If we're not contending for the division and in the playoffs at that point it would be a pretty big disappointment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If Douglas had gone with Wirfs instead of Big Raincheck, I would have been all in on him. 

good point - the only thing i’d say is in some ( not all ) cases a gm may be influenced by head coach and his desire for certain type players - i think that’s why mims was drafted last year and moore this year - two different sets of skills and where mims might be a different player in gase’s offense ( ok gase was and is an idiot but you get my point) and moore fits this offense to a t- not a coincidence i don’t think - nonetheless becton needs to be who we hoped he was or else douglas will have to answer for it

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

Just now, ncjetman said:

good point - the only thing i’d say is in some ( not all ) cases a gm may be influenced by head coach and his desire for certain type players - i think that’s why mims was drafted last year and moore this year - two different sets of skills and where mims might be a different player in gase’s offense ( ok gase was and is an idiot but you get my point) and moore fits this offense to a t- not a coincidence i don’t think - nonetheless becton needs to be who we hoped he was or else douglas will have to answer for it

While it's true Becton busting out would not be a good look for JD.  He wasn't a factor this year and our patchworked OL has turned out some pretty solid games.  I'm starting to trust that JD knows what he is doing when it comes to getting players and depth on the line.  Let's hope when Lawson and a drafted EDGE are in the games next year we can feel the same about the DL.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Wirfs and Van Jefferson over Becton and Mims would have made 2022 the final year of the rebuild. As of now, we might still be two years away.

There would be no talk of Evan Neal or another WR in this upcoming draft. The Jets would be focused on defense and possibly using a 2nd and 3rd rounder on TE and C/OG. Would have allowed them to go Edge, LB, S with the first three picks. 

Yup..

I mean they're not even contributors at this point - even if they turned into quality role players we would be in a MUCH better position in this draft...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Well its good because whatever you have heard in the past has nothing to do with where this team is going under Douglas and Saleh’s direction.

Did u watch Sunday??  They are showing you.  When u go toe to toe w/ the super bowl champs, that is success in year 1 of a total rebuild.

Hang in there jet fans.  Its happening!!!

They lost.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

There’s definitely reasons to be optimistic. However, my expectations for next year are low. Im expecting another year where we let young guys develop. The offense should be middle of the pack though. But there’s going to be growing pains when you have 1st and 2nd year players getting significant playing time. 

It’s not what i would do but it’s clear this FO/CS will continue to invest in young talent. 

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Wirfs and Van Jefferson over Becton and Mims would have made 2022 the final year of the rebuild. As of now, we might still be two years away.

There would be no talk of Evan Neal or another WR in this upcoming draft. The Jets would be focused on defense and possibly using a 2nd and 3rd rounder on TE and C/OG. Would have allowed them to go Edge, LB, S with the first three picks. 

If only the Jets had drafted LB Josh Uche instead of Mims. Then our LB problems would be solved.  Belichick is just so much smarter.  Cherry picking from the draft board two seasons after the draft is the ultimate in revisionist history.  What a skill!  Take a look at the Pats 2020 draft. It's not good.   Two bust TEs and a bunch of guys who have been injured or cut.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, ncjetman said:

for example he started LaFleur on the field but recognizing it wasn’t working let him move upstairs and the results speak for themselves -

I think 99.9% of us were advocating for the booth before the decision was made. Please find a better example.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Becton will be fine, Mims is a dog with fleas.

I hope so but I'm not sure how you have confidence in that.  In two seasons as a Pro Becton has played in fewer than 50% of games.

As Bill Parcells would say, "sometimes a player's best ability is his availability."  Becton is the furthest thing from an Ironman and this challenge puts the Jets in a pickle.  They either need to replace Becton and maybe move him to another spot on the OL, or have two other starting caliber OTs (like they did this year with Fant, Moses) on the roster which typically isn't cheap.  The Jets would be in a world of hurt right now had they not signed Morgan Moses this past offseason.

I'm gonna keep my powder dry at this point. Even though I am very optimistic about the future, the Jets have burned me before with alarming regularity.

However, I cannot help but be excited by the prospect of Wilson continuing to progress, adding starters with their first 4 picks in the draft and getting Lawson, Maye and Bechton healthy and back on the field. 

• Upvote 2

Becton will be fine, Mims is a dog with fleas.

mims really disappointed me this year - i thought the coaching staff was really screwed up early on by not getting mims into
games more but with all the wr injuries he had his chance and made the least out of it - i guess we’ll see next year whether he can be the player i thought had so much upside after his rookie year - it will be on another team i’m sure cause at this point he’s clearly not gonna be a star in this system.

• Upvote 2

So we're now blaming Gase for JD's 2020 Draft? 

what a pithy analysis of my comments - do you put this much thought into all your opinions? no i did not say anything of the sort and i’m hoping ( for your sake) that you know it - but hey thanks for enriching the board with these sophisticated comments

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

what a pithy analysis of my comments - do you put this much thought into all your opinions? no i did not say anything of the sort and i’m hoping ( for your sake) that you know it - but hey thanks for enriching the board with these sophisticated comments

So we're blaming Gase for the 2020 Draft? 

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Has a chance to be the best draft class in franchise history 

That got me wondering. What was the best draft class in Jets history? The bar is pretty low.

I think it was 1977: Marvin Powell; Wesley Walker; Scott Dierking; Joe Klecko; Kevin Long; Dan Alexander and Matt Robinson.

• Upvote 2