Washington Football Team will unveil new name on 2-2-22

54 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

I'm in awe seeing Americans thinking that this is normal lol

I live in Australia and I can't imagine an organisation using an Aboriginal man charicature as a mascot. 

You're applying today's standards to what the standard was 100 years ago...plus, from what I read, Native Americans didn't mind it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

They have stars on their jerseys as part of what appears to be the trim, so I’d say Red Hogs is out.

I’m guessing Commanders.  Armada 2nd

They should go with Generals or WTFs

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Two years trying to come up with a new name and those are the choices?  WTF?

Having done this type of work, I’ll let you in on a secret… The actual time and effort usually goes towards consensus-building and placating stakeholder feedback.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

It is down to Armada, Brigade, Commanders, Defenders, Presidents, and RedHogs.

I'm going with RedHogs. They keep the "R" and have the Hogs as part of their history. I think RedHogs is a pretty good choice. 

Which name do you think it will be?

Well now I'm hoping for the "Tooters"

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Trying to figure out the thought behind Armada.  Whats the connection between a football team and a fleet of ships?

It makes about as much sense as the correlation between a football team and a fleet of aircraft, I suppose.

Too bad Armada is more that a 2nd grade reading level word. They could have had a great chant.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Or WTF

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I like this.  The WFT WTF's and they can just do the Marc Maron riff from the start of his podcast re: WTF.  It would be fun hearing Schlereth calling out to all the "Whatthe****ers" out there.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

You're applying today's standards to what the standard was 100 years ago...plus, from what I read, Native Americans didn't mind it.  

So, you admit the standards have changed. Perhaps it's time to change with them, no?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

True, 100 years ago they were more interested in killing the Native than asking what he cared about them using a racist epithet as the mascot.  Plus the one guy they always trotted out as being 'the indian who didn't mind' turned out to not really be Native American and was paid by the team and certainly not the arbiter of what an entire ethnic group can determine as being appropriate speech or not for others to use... but you do you.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

That's not true.

"

In the 1940s the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) created a campaign to eliminate negative stereotyping of Native American people in the media. Over time, the campaign began to focus on Indian names and mascots in sports.[99] The NCAI maintains that teams with mascots such as the Braves and the Redskins perpetuate negative stereotypes of Native American people, and demean their native traditions and rituals.[100] The NCAI issued a new report in 2013 summarizing opposition to Indian mascots and team names generally, and the Washington Redskins in particular.[101] In the trademark case, the TTAB placed significance on the NCAI opposition, estimating that the organization represented about 30% of the Native American population at the time the trademarks were granted, which met their criteria for a "substantial composite" of Native Americans finding the name disparaging.[102] In its amicus brief filed in the case, the NCAI states that the combined enrollment of its member tribes in 2013 was 1.2 million individuals.[103]

Many tribal councils have passed resolutions or issued statements regarding their opposition to the name of the Washington Redskins, including the Cherokee and Comanche Nations of Oklahoma, the Inter Tribal Council of Arizona,[104] the Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes,[105][106] the Oneida Indian Nation (New York),[107] the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe (North Dakota) and the United South and Eastern Tribes (USET).[108] In April 2014, Navajo Nation Council voted in favor of a statement opposing the name of the Washington team, as well as other disparaging references to American Indians by other professional sports franchises.[109] Other Native American groups advocating change include: the Native American Bar Association of DC,[110] the National Caucus of Native American State Legislators,[111] and the Society of American Indian Government Employees.[11"

From Wikipedia

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

It is down to Armada, Brigade, Commanders, Defenders, Presidents, and RedHogs.

I'm going with RedHogs. They keep the "R" and have the Hogs as part of their history. I think RedHogs is a pretty good choice. 

Which name do you think it will be?

They should pick a name to honor the local native Americans in the area and have them participate in like a ceremony of sorts?... Wait.... nevermind...

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Trying to figure out the thought behind Armada.  Whats the connection between a football team and a fleet of ships?

Dan Snyder has been trying to get a new stadium built in DC to replace the horror show that is FedEx Field, formerly Jack Kent Cooke Stadium, in Maryland.

One theorized location for this is in the old DC Navy Yard, not far from where Nationals Park and the new DC United Soccer Stadiums were built.

Navy Yard = Armada, best I got theory-wise. 

Admirals the same.  It's DC's Navy History it seems they're playing on there with both names.

• Upvote 1