Washington Football Team will unveil new name on 2-2-22

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Where did they get Redhogs from? It sounds like a minor league baseball team. Either Presidents or Wash Football team which has grown kind of popular. 

Red - Fans desperately want to keep the HTTR (Hail to the Red....) fight song.  It's of material importance to the fanbase here.

Hogs - The Hogs were the famous Washington O-line during the Joe Gibbs 80's run of Super Bowl titles.  Fans here wear Hog masks as part of the "extreme fan look" every team has a version of.

So it's two nods to history, the fight song and that HOF O-line that helped win those titles.

As a bonus, I believe the DC Swamps many centuries ago, had wild hogs here.  I think.  

Plus, pork barrel spending by Government, lol.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Red - Fans desperately want to keep the HTTR (Hail to the Red....) fight song.  It's of material importance to the fanbase here.

Hogs - The Hogs were the famous Washington O-line during the Joe Gibbs 80's run of Super Bowl titles.  Fans here wear Hog masks as part of the "extreme fan look" every team has a version of.

So it's two nods to history, the fight song and that HOF O-line that helped win those titles.

As a bonus, I believe the DC Swamps many centuries ago, had wild hogs here.  I think.  

Plus, pork barrel spending by Government, lol.

Too bad the word "tank" has a negative connotation for intentionally losing.  One of the indigenous tribes that had a settlement there were the Nacotchtank  people.   DC Tanks might have worked.  Strong sounding.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Dan Snyder has been trying to get a new stadium built in DC to replace the horror show that is FedEx Field, formerly Jack Kent Cooke Stadium, in Maryland.

One theorized location for this is in the old DC Navy Yard, not far from where Nationals Park and the new DC United Soccer Stadiums were built.

Navy Yard = Armada, best I got theory-wise. 

Admirals the same.  It's DC's Navy History it seems they're playing on there with both names.

Thanks, best theory I’ve heard.  Admirals works better, IMO.  
Is Jack Lent Cooke that bad?  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thanks, best theory I’ve heard.  Admirals works better, IMO.  
Is Jack Lent Cooke that bad?  

Only been there for concerts myself, never for an NFL game, but yes, it's a trash stadium, miles from anything resembling DC or civilization, far too big, badly designed, poor sightlines and horrible parking and access to that parking from major highways.

Best thing would be a Nationals Park type thing, a downtown revitalizer purpose-built stadium in DC itself.  Nats park is awesome, spurned huge changes to DC (took an area that was the definition or urban blight and made it hip and awesome to come visit).  I think a new WFT stadium could do the same thing.  No more DC or Virginia stadiums, put it in the city, and use it as the centerpiece to build around.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Too bad the word "tank" has a negative connotation for intentionally losing.  One of the indigenous tribes that had a settlement there were the Nacotchtank  people.   DC Tanks might have worked.  Strong sounding.

They made it clear they're not going anywhere near anyhting even close to native american related, rightfully so.  Just asks for more trouble and shows they didn't really want to make the change (which they didn't, but PR gotta PR).

The name will be milktoast on purpose, to ensure it's inoffensive.  Lets be honest, most team names are boring and inoffensive (Jets anyone?  Zzzzzzz!, lol).

Sadly, in that effort it looks like we're gonna get another Washington Wizards, instead of a Washington Capitals (Caps!) or Washington Nationals (Nats!).

We'll see, maybe they'll surprise me, lol.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, playtowinthegame said:

It is down to Armada, Brigade, Commanders, Defenders, Presidents, and RedHogs.

I'm going with RedHogs. They keep the "R" and have the Hogs as part of their history. I think RedHogs is a pretty good choice. 

Which name do you think it will be?

The Washington Cowards.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They made it clear they're not going anywhere near anyhting even close to native american related, rightfully so.  Just asks for more trouble and shows they didn't really want to make the change (which they didn't, but PR gotta PR).

The name will be milktoast on purpose, to ensure it's inoffensive.  Lets be honest, most team names are boring and inoffensive (Jets anyone?  Zzzzzzz!, lol).

Sadly, in that effort it looks like we're gonna get another Washington Wizards, instead of a Washington Capitals (Caps!) or Washington Nationals (Nats!).

Maybe they get really bold and go back to the old Washington Bullets. (Wes!)  That would go over big. lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Nah, I'm too old...I'm one of those types that don't like sh*t shoved down my throat.

No one is "shoving anything down your throat".

Rooting for an NFL team is entirely optional.  No one is making you do it, and you're not even a fan of this team in the first place.

A corporate entertainment product is simply updating their market palatability up to current societal standards/expectations.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Nah, I'm too old...I'm one of those types that don't like sh*t shoved down my throat.

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rooting for an NFL team is entirely optional.  No one is making you do it, and you're not even a fan of this team in the first place.

A corporate entertainment product is simply updating their market palatability up to current societal standards/expectations.  

^^what he said

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Anyone else wish we had kept the NY Titans? I sure do....I love that name!

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Like I first mentioned...it's a PC thing.  You're right, I'm not a fan of that team.  I'll bet you anything you want, I would say the Washington fan base would rather have it as the Redskins.  

Like I first mentioned...it's a PC thing.

What some folks call PC or wokeness, some of us call a basic respect and decency thing.

Regardless, ultimately, cynically, this is nothing more than a marketing rebrand by a corporate entity, pushed on by other corporate entities, designed to maximize revenue and minimize objection.  Same as pretty much every other company in this time period.  

I'll bet you anything you want, I would say the Washington fan base would rather have it as the Redskins.  

And the American south, circa 1861, would rather have kept their slaves.  

It's not about what the fans want.  Same as it wasn't about what slave owners wanted.  Societal values move on, even if the face of those who desperately don't want them to do so.

LOL, and be assured, if Woody decides "Jets" is an outdated name tomorrow, and a new name would be more profitable, that change won't be about what fans want either.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Anyone else wish we had kept the NY Titans? I sure do....I love that name!

I like the name fine, even if it's derivative f the Giants.

But the change also brought the color change, and Jets Green is what drew me to them as a little kid, so no green, no Jets Fandom most likely.  

Well, now that I'm thinking about it........lol.

• Upvote 1

Like I first mentioned...it's a PC thing.  You're right, I'm not a fan of that team.  I'll bet you anything you want, I would say the Washington fan base would rather have it as the Redskins.  

Then they can buy a team, give it a controversial name and fight it out with sponsors and the league.

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What some folks call PC or wokeness, some of us call a basic respect and decency thing.

Regardless, ultimately, cynically, this is nothing more than a marketing rebrand by a corporate entity, pushed on by other corporate entities, designed to maximize revenue and minimize objection.  Same as pretty much every other company in this time period.  

And the American south, circa 1861, would rather have kept their slaves.  

It's not about what the fans want.  Same as it wasn't about what slave owners wanted.  Societal values move on, even if the face of those who desperately don't want them to do so.

LOL, and be assured, if Woody decides "Jets" is an outdated name tomorrow, and a new name would be more profitable, that change won't be about what fans want either.  

You do realize that about 98% of the confederates who fought for the south didn't own slaves...listen, I understand the premise of it all, I just don't have to like it.  I'm old school, don't worry because my kind will be gone soon enough.

33 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

You do realize that about 98% of the confederates who fought for the south didn't own slaves..

Predictable Southern Defense reply tbqh.  Next up “the Civil War was about freedom!”.

.listen, I understand the premise of it all, I just don't have to like it. 

Nope. You can choose to understand it or choose to be….”old school”.

I'm old school, don't worry because my kind will be gone soon enough.

Shame that’s the only way society can seemingly move forward and treat everyone better, when it’s so easy to understand If only you could feel empathy for people other than yourself. Shame. That’s all it really takes, to think about what it might be like to be the other instead of the dominant.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Predictable Southern Defense reply tbqh.  Next up “the Civil War was about freedom!”.

Nope. You can choose to understand it or choose to be….”old school”.

Shame that’s the only way society can seemingly move forward and treat everyone better, when it’s so easy to understand If only you could feel empathy for people other than yourself. Shame. That’s all it really takes, to think about what it might be like to be the other instead of the dominant.

You don't know me...only what I've posted.  So, be careful what you post because I have all kinds of friends, including those I served in the military with.  Just because I don't think I should pander to the PC crowd doesn't make me what you're trying to make me out to be.  Stick to football and even that isn't your best argument.  

• Upvote 1