Zach Wilson was AWESOME for the NYJ vs Tampa

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The defense went “toe to toe” with Tom Brady. Zach Wilson put up 24 points, none in the final 25 minutes of game time, where he went 3 for 8.

His number 1 RB out, his LT out, his only TE with a modicum of NFL experience out.

Maybe we should have signed Antonio Brown at halftime.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rtnelson said:

We've been over this time and time again.  And you continue to read us stats like they mean something right now.

We get it, statistically he hasn't had a great year.  But it's obvious that he's learning from his mistakes, improving in his understanding of the offense, the game is slowing down for him, and his confidence and decision making is vastly improved.

I think statistically his best game was the Titans, but if you actually watch the games you would know that while he made some awesome plays it doesn't hold a candle to the play he is putting on film at this stage of the year.

He's getting better, and that's a good thing.  Nobody is claiming anything other than progress is good.

The kid played like a pro on Sunday.  Period.

See, this is how we have discussions instead of talking sh*t.

I agree with everything you wrote except the bolded. The only reason I came into this thread and posted in the first place is exactly because of the bolded. Plenty of folks who had peddled nonstop excuses for months are the ones who are claiming that the progress he's shown resulted in Sunday's performance being "awesome". That's absolutely insane if you've watched any other football. In fact, even if you only watched that one game, to call Wilson's performance "awesome" is absurd given that Brady came back and won the game with seconds left, and even his overall game wasn't "awesome".  

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, rtnelson said:

He's getting better, and that's a good thing.  Nobody is claiming anything other than progress is good.

But people ARE claiming that he was (in several games) OUTSTANDING and AWESOME.  That is incorrect.  He is making progress as you said, so maybe his work ethic and improvement has been OUTSTANDING and AWESOME but his play has not been quite there.

Joe Burrow has thrown for nearly 1,000 yds 8 tds and 0 ints his last 2 games (both wins).  THAT is OUTSTANDING and AWESOME.

The problem is anyone who points this out gets dog piled on by those who have already decided that Zach Wilson is 100% the franchise QB we have been searching for since Joe.

You WILL submit to the language police.

AD821D6B-3CF5-4ED3-B804-0E654B2AD18C.jpeg

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The defense went “toe to toe” with Tom Brady. Zach Wilson put up 24 points, none in the final 25 minutes of game time, where he went 3 for 8.

Ummm... while the defense was going "toe to toe" with Tom Brady, Zach had the team up by 14.  Sure the offense had a few rough series as a whole (free rushers and the like) but while that was going down the defense wasn't going toe to toe with anyone and couldn't stop Brady.  It's almost like this is a team game, and in the same way that Zach gets a loss on his resume unlike every other player on the team where they don't say "Jeff Smith is now 1-2 as a starter for the Jets", Zach had his team in position to win the game.  So yes.  He did go toe to toe with Tom Brady.  This in no way is saying he is playing at a Tom Brady level and or predicting that he ever will so you can just relax. 

I swear you're just looking for things to nitpick.  It's bordering on insane.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

See, this is how we have discussions instead of talking sh*t.

I agree with everything you wrote except the bolded. The only reason I came into this thread and posted in the first place is exactly because of the bolded. Plenty of folks who had peddled nonstop excuses for months are the ones who are claiming that the progress he's shown resulted in Sunday's performance being "awesome". That's absolutely insane if you've watched any other football. In fact, even if you only watched that one game, to call Wilson's performance "awesome" is absurd given that Brady came back and won the game with seconds left, and even his overall game wasn't "awesome".  

Look, I agree with everything you wrote.  I just don't agree with the need to nitpick.  Some of the plays he made were awesome.  The fact that he and the team were in position to win the game was awesome.  Clutch throws on third down were awesome.

In the future, when we have seen him play like this time and time again it will no longer be awesome.  But when your kid first starts going down the street without training wheels on his bike for the first time, it's awesome.

Nobody was expecting that level of play.  Nobody.  Screw the stats.  You watched the game.  You saw the third down throws zipped in to tight windows caught for first downs.  Nobody saw it coming.  It WAS awesome.  Not in some objective measuring statistical way comparing him to all other QB's that have ever played, but in a way that comes from the unexpected because of his past play, and the practice squad teammates around him.

You don't want to find it awesome, and that's fine.  But some people do, and that's fine too.  Just let the people enjoy it.

• Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

But people ARE claiming that he was (in several games) OUTSTANDING and AWESOME.  That is incorrect.  He is making progress as you said, so maybe his work ethic and improvement has been OUTSTANDING and AWESOME but his play has not been quite there.

Joe Burrow has thrown for nearly 1,000 yds 8 tds and 0 ints his last 2 games (both wins).  THAT is OUTSTANDING and AWESOME.

The problem is anyone who points this out gets dog piled on by those who have already decided that Zach Wilson is 100% the franchise QB we have been searching for since Joe.

You WILL submit to the language police.

AD821D6B-3CF5-4ED3-B804-0E654B2AD18C.jpeg

I don't believe that most people would describe the game he played as awesome if it were a 3 year starter in the league.  So you're right.

But the improvement he has shows is "awesome" and "outstanding" in my opinion.  Especially considering the practice squad players that have surrounded him the past few weeks.

Just relax, there hasn't been much to cheer about this year, let the people "overreact" for a bit when there QB who has literally been taking baby steps week by week takes a solid man step forward.  You can see real progression in his game that translates to real success at the NFL level, it's undeniable.  That's exciting to people. 

It's okay that you'd like to temper all excitement until statistics show up in the box score better.  Nobody would judge you for that, but your seeming insistence on making sure nobody else get excited rubs people the wrong way especially when it seems you enjoy stirring the pot just for the sake of doing so.

31 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

I don't believe that most people would describe the game he played as awesome if it were a 3 year starter in the league.  So you're right.

But the improvement he has shows is "awesome" and "outstanding" in my opinion.  Especially considering the practice squad players that have surrounded him the past few weeks.

Just relax, there hasn't been much to cheer about this year, let the people "overreact" for a bit when there QB who has literally been taking baby steps week by week takes a solid man step forward.  You can see real progression in his game that translates to real success at the NFL level, it's undeniable.  That's exciting to people. 

It's okay that you'd like to temper all excitement until statistics show up in the box score better.  Nobody would judge you for that, but your seeming insistence on making sure nobody else get excited rubs people the wrong way especially when it seems you enjoy stirring the pot just for the sake of doing so.

I get it but this is a forum to discuss the team.  I won’t bash anyone from having over-positive feelings toward Zach, have at it, but I can nitpick about our #2 draft pick who’s had a bad year on a bad team.  Sorry if people don’t like it. Truth > feelings.

Also we have another guy in this thread who shares my opinions and is being told “he doesn’t watch games” and “is making his own analysis”.  Anyone who does not reiterate that Zach is OUTSTANDING and AWESOME have been labeled Zach-haters who all clearly have vendettas against the young man personally or because of pre-draft opinions.  It’s a bit pathetic.

I do not stir the pot just for the sake of doing so.  I provide what I think are reasonable and realistic opinions regarding our QB (who has struggled mightily) and lots of people around here just cannot handle those types of views.

He is progressing.  Good.  Great.  OUTSTANDING.  But he has struggled and has yet to look OUTSTANDING.  That’s it.  I’m not trying to suck the excitement out of people.  If the reality rubs you the wrong way, it’s time to reconsider things.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I get it but this is a forum to discuss the team.  I won’t bash anyone from having over-positive feelings toward Zach, have at it, but I can nitpick about our #2 draft pick who’s had a bad year on a bad team.  Sorry if people don’t like it. Truth > feelings.

Also we have another guy in this thread who shares my opinions and is being told “he doesn’t watch games” and “is making his own analysis”.  Anyone who does not reiterate that Zach is OUTSTANDING and AWESOME have been labeled Zach-haters who all clearly have vendettas against the young man personally or because of pre-draft opinions.  It’s a bit pathetic.

I do not stir the pot just for the sake of doing so.  I provide what I think are reasonable and realistic opinions regarding our QB (who has struggled mightily) and lots of people around here just cannot handle those types of views.

He is progressing.  Good.  Great.  OUTSTANDING.  But he has struggled and has yet to look OUTSTANDING.  That’s it.  I’m not trying to suck the excitement out of people.  If the reality rubs you the wrong way, it’s time to reconsider things.

Yeah, he has struggled this year.  He has been the cause of some offensive woes to be sure.  Sunday, when the offense wasnt working at the end of the game, it wasnt because he was missing throws, it was because he had pressure in his face instantly.

At no point in this game was Zach a liability.  Thats reality.

The reality about Zachs play on Sunday does not exist on the stat sheet.  Dude looked like a gamer, one that you could plug in to a roster without practice squad guys starting and he would shine.

Its just one game, and continued success is not guaranteed.  But the game he played was real.  And a lot of it looked pretty damn good.  Its not just delusional Jet fans that see it.

All good mate.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, rtnelson said:

Yeah, he has struggled this year.  He has been the cause of some offensive woes to be sure.  Sunday, when the offense wasnt working at the end of the game, it wasnt because he was missing throws, it was because he had pressure in his face instantly.

At no point in this game was Zach a liability.  Thats reality.

The reality about Zachs play on Sunday does not exist on the stat sheet.  Dude looked like a gamer, one that you could plug in to a roster without practice squad guys starting and he would shine.

Its just one game, and continued success is not guaranteed.  But the game he played was real.  And a lot of it looked pretty damn good.  Its not just delusional Jet fans that see it.

All good mate.

Zach Wilson LED a Jet team filled with practice squad players last Sunday, his wideouts included DJ Montgomery and Jeff Smith, he threw PERFECT Bullets into the tightest of windows throughout the game against one of the Top D's in the league.

He led the GOAT and his playoff bound Tampa team by 14 points at one point and had the GOAT and his playoff bound Tampa team BEAT for 59 Minutes and 45 Seconds.

I just learned a very interesting stat yesterday.  Can you name the QB who played the TOUGHEST SCHEDULE OF DEFENSES OVERALL in 2021?  I can, his name is Zach Wilson.

Now think to next year and the possibility that Wilson, with a year of baptism under fire and an off season of study under his belt, with the potential to add some serious new assets to his offensive unit to compliment Eli Moore, Michael Carter, AVT is able to duplicate what he did last Sunday with the much higher talent level surrounding him against a schedule of Defenses that can't be on the level of what he faced his Rookie season.

How can any Jet fan not be excited thinking about that?

• Upvote 2