Jetnation: You’re on the clock with pick 4

Rhg1084

59 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yeah Denver as well as a trade down partner.  They have a stacked roster just no QB.  They have picks #11 and #43 for a total value of 1720 and our #4 pick is traditionally valued at 1800 - maybe something can be worked out, maybe they'd even give up #11 and one of their promising young widouts.

WFT needs a QB, maybe the Eagles, Panthers too though it'd be bad PR for them to trade with us again and we already have their 2 and 4.

I'd put Denver and WFT on my list that included Pitt, New Orleans, and Atlanta.  But I don't think the Eagles want to trade up.  They may roll with Hurts for another year... he seems like that promising guy who can win games but has limited upside in the passing game.  They'll be in the playoffs with him so I think he gets another year while still on his own rookie deals.  And, as you said, no way is Carolina trading with us again. lol  They'd go to 3 or 5 before they'd try to trade with us at 4.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

To be 100% honest, one of the big reasons I’m so high on Karlaftis is because his discussion reminds of the discussion about Wirfs a few years ago. He is not your “prototypical” DE build for a pure pass rusher.  Wirfs wasn’t your prototypical tackle bulid(arm length).  However I think both of them are so freakishly strong that they don’t get credit for how incredibly smooth athletically they are.  Karlaftis is not a finished product in terms of technique, but I don’t agree with calling him raw either.  I’d say he’s average for his point in his career.

And as that article points out, he’s relentless when it comes to self improvement.  Like I said, he may not pan out, but I’m willing to bet on him.  

This is exactly what I thought.  To be successful in the NFL I think commitment and intelligence is as important as physical attributes.  

But the 4th pick is supposed to be a super elite athlete, which I think is one reason why so many of them bust.  

As we know, the Jets have been starved for a true edge rusher since John Abraham.  In defense of the various GMs, there have really not been many instances where the Jets passed over a compelling EDGE in the draft.  Either they went before the Jets picked, or the Jets were unable to identify a player picked much lower.   Adams over TJ Watt hurt.   Where would TJ Watt get drafted in a re-draft?

If we think Karlaftis is going to be a real edge and he is there for the Jets, when do we think the next time a player like that is available?   He has not be available when the Jets have picked in a long time. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jets luck once again, a weak draft overall imo and we have mega draft capital, also no QBs worth spit so teams are not going to want to trade up.  Oh we will get some good players but not like other years. 

Last year:

4 pitts

5 chase

7 - sewel

9 - surtain

10 - devonta Smith

13 rashawn slater

16 - micah parsons

The guys were are talking about re pass rushers are about #18 jaelan phillips level imo

F'n this all day. 

If we had the same draft as last year we could have either traded back and gotten three first rounders like Miami did (and still could have drafted a Devonta Smith or Micah Parsons). Or we could have stayed in our spot and gotten Pitts/Chase and a guy like Horn/Surtain/Parsons or Sewell/Slater. 

Its 2019 again - no premium QBs and a weak class at the top. Absolutely sucks luck wise

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jets luck once again, a weak draft overall imo and we have mega draft capital, also no QBs worth spit so teams are not going to want to trade up.  Oh we will get some good players but not like other years. 

Last year:

4 pitts

5 chase

7 - sewel

9 - surtain

10 - devonta Smith

13 rashawn slater

16 - micah parsons

The guys were are talking about re pass rushers are about #18 jaelan phillips level imo

Yes this is true. I think Neal is a complete no brainer because he would be so versatile and potentially long term solution at LT as well, but the Top 10 is like really uninspiring compared to last year. I would be fine with trading down and getting some additional draft capital next year. Seems to be a ton of value 20 to 50 but softer top end. I am not a fan of the EDGE they seem to be getting artifically pushed up at this point. 

In terms of OP question, I think it is worst case, might go WR there. Would gag and possibly die of shock if we go Hamilton or Stingley

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

F'n this all day. 

If we had the same draft as last year we could have either traded back and gotten three first rounders like Miami did (and still could have drafted a Devonta Smith or Micah Parsons). Or we could have stayed in our spot and gotten Pitts/Chase and a guy like Horn/Surtain/Parsons or Sewell/Slater. 

Its 2019 again - no premium QBs and a weak class at the top. Absolutely sucks luck wise

Agreed, but it’s a glass half full view.  We were probably lucky to land Zach at 2 last year bc he goes number one most years. Plus landing AVT at 13.  We milked that talented draft class.

And this years class may not have the Wow guys but there are a lot of first round talents and good prospects and we’re in prime position to really improve this team. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Origen said:

Nakobe Dean from Georgia is someone I would like, not at the 4.  Karlaftis there.  But we need a young LB now that Cashman has reached "complete bust' status officially.

Dean is certainly not under the radar any longer. I have watched him all year and really like him. Was hoping we could snag him in round 2 but he's now getting first round love. We really need help at LB.

• Upvote 1

I keep coming back to the same thing really, understanding that this is not how GM's are supposed to draft:  Two options for the first four picks (ignoring trade down):

• EDGE, WR, BPA LB or S, TE-assumes we extend Fant, CM, Moses.  
  • OL, WR, BPA LB or S, TE.

We could flip the second round picks.  

I just think this fills the holes better although may require picking players not BPA.

The Jets are in a good position to trade down and acquire future picks. Quarterbacks are overvalued as the draft gets closer and at least one team will panic and trade up for a QB. If we are outside of the "premium pick" zone, I can see Trader Joe move up for one of the two EDGES or down to acquire picks and get a better value based on draft position. I do not mind trading our two firsts to get one of the two EDGES if they are deemed to be game changers.

Saleh is going to be steering the ship during this draft as I suspect he did in 2021. I don't think it's a coincidence that the 2021 draft has been better than the 2020 draft. Even if Becton comes back and has the career he was supposed to, the 2020 draft is still a load of dook. The Bryce Hall pick prevents the 2020 draft from being explosive diarrhea. 

13 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

This is just seems like a bad draft.  Who the hell is trading up in this draft? 

Just like there are teams who will give you Tardif for a TE rental, or a fourth round pick for Herndon, there will be at least one team who falls in love with a QB and trades up. Remember, there was a team who gave us two firsts and a third, plus another player for a safety who got paid and mailed it in. 

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

No Safety @ 4 but a CB is ok??????

We need a safety way more than  a corner

CB is a guy who can shut down the #1 wide receiver from the other team.  If he's good enough (see Derrelle Revis), then you can go one on one with no additional help.

Safety is like the center fielder on the defense.  If he is really good, he is helping up top the cornerbacks against coverage, can cover the tight end out of the backfield, and rush the QB on blitz packages.

A great shut down corner is more valuable than a great safety.  I would say it's just my opinion, but it's not.  Many experts, coaches, draft experts will tell you the same thing.

Remember what Rex Ryan once said about Revis: "There are a lot of great cornerbacks, but there is only one Derrelle Revis."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Alot of decent safety prospects in this years draft I wouldn't mind grabbing the two kids from Georgia I think they would instantly upgrade our backfield in a major way

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Tykee Smith is a really interesting prospect.  Can play SS/box, but also has athleticism and ball skills but will fall due to his ACL injury.  Could be very similar to Hall and possibly worth a 3rd or definitely worth at high 4.

59 minutes ago, Alka said:

CB is a guy who can shut down the #1 wide receiver from the other team.  If he's good enough (see Derrelle Revis), then you can go one on one with no additional help.

Safety is like the center fielder on the defense.  If he is really good, he is helping up top the cornerbacks against coverage, can cover the tight end out of the backfield, and rush the QB on blitz packages.

A great shut down corner is more valuable than a great safety.  I would say it's just my opinion, but it's not.  Many experts, coaches, draft experts will tell you the same thing.

Remember what Rex Ryan once said about Revis: "There are a lot of great cornerbacks, but there is only one Derrelle Revis."

So there is only 1 Revis, but yet thats the comp you use in the first sentence???

CBs used to be valued more, but I dont think thats the case anymore given the PI rules.  Who is the best CB in the NFL?  Does that guy really take away one player every sunday?  I just dont think there are many Revis' around

Im not advocating taking Hamilton but I do think spending a 2nd round pick on someone like Battle is worth it as a good safety (think Buddha Baker) can really impact the game, esp for a team that plays zone.

21 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Thibodeaux, Hutchinson and Neal just went picks 1-3. There’s no trade down partner available. Who’s the pick? 

I think it’s Kyle Hamilton and it’s not even that hard of a pick!

We don’t have a small safety from a DIIA school we can use a 1st rounder on?????. Sorry, ever since we drafted Kyle Wilson I’ve been pissed. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Saleh's defense doesn't require a shut down corner. It is a zone defense.  I would be shocked (and upset) if the Jets picked a CB early given the scheme.  

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think this is going to be very similar to last years offseason.  

Draftwise: High round picks(rounds 1 and 2) will be on offense.  Rounds 3-7 will be on defense.

We can also use free agent money to bring in a def player or 2.

I dont think a few free agents and picks in round 3-7 is ignoring the defense.

Agree completely.

Not sure who will be drafted where, or whether trades happen etc., but I would want to see us adding to the OL and WR.  I really would love to draft Lindebaum and plug him in at OC and kick McGovern over to RG.  Another OT is needed IMO as Fant is in the last year of his deal, injured and 30, Moses is a goner and Bechton is still a big (no pun intended) question mark.  Somewhere in Rds 1-2 we also need a 'big' WR.  If a defensive player falls to you with great value you cannot pass up? sure...take them.

No way I'm drafting a CB or S in the top 7 this year, but I can live with an Edge DP if JD thinks they're better than the offense options as the draft unfolds.

There is enough info out there on Davis .... I'm not giving up, just stating facts. He fails at the biggest points in games, he's terrible at catching contested balls which is what a possession WR is all about, he catches the ball with his body, and he has too many drops in very big situations. What more evidence do we need ? this guy is not even close to a number 1 or a high end number 2. Davis cost us the momentum in at least 2 games possibly more by not making plays at crucial points in the game that's not to mention the drops that turned into Int's 

Yea I agree with you here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app