Jetnation: You’re on the clock with pick 4

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Thibs and Hutch are not impressive at all. All but disappeared in big games Way over hyped. Karlaftis is steady not as flashy and didn’t play on a nationally ranked team but is an all around end. Plays run well and rushes the passer he’s good for 7-8 sacks a year. That being said would not take any of the three in the first round can see them all being a Clowney. Lots of hype little production 

I feel you. Karlaftis doesn’t show up in big games either though. Most of his production is against weaker competition. He also only has 4.5 sacks all year. He tends to struggle a lot against good tackles. It looks like he has a strong upper body, but when he faces strong tackles he gets beat. Doesn’t seem to have a lot of power in his lower half. I read from quite a few places that he’ll be better as a 3-4 edge because he’ll be able to get a running start. I think it’s strange that you were saying that thib and hutch weren’t impressive in big games while karlaftis wasn’t either.

Against nationally ranked teams this year he only had 1.5 sacks. He beat up the mediocre teams and also rarely at that.  I posted his game log below.

I’m not really high on any of them except thib. He’s a freak athletically and teams game planned around him because the ducks dl besides him wasn’t good. Hutch I think is worth a top 10 pick, but is a sr who overpowered a lot of the younger tackles. 

C2F5FE93-67DA-4203-877C-2C842CB77668.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Thibs and Hutch are not impressive at all. All but disappeared in big games Way over hyped. Karlaftis is steady not as flashy and didn’t play on a nationally ranked team but is an all around end. Plays run well and rushes the passer he’s good for 7-8 sacks a year. That being said would not take any of the three in the first round can see them all being a Clowney. Lots of hype little production 

This is what I am worried about.  When I watch them play I don't see sure fire game changers.  I'm extremely worried one of these guys falls to us at 4 and we take them and while they may be decent players completely aren't worth the 4th overall.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I feel you. Karlaftis doesn’t show up in big games either though. Most of his production is against weaker competition. He also only has 4.5 sacks all year. He tends to struggle a lot against good tackles. It looks like he has a strong upper body, but when he faces strong tackles he gets beat. Doesn’t seem to have a lot of power in his lower half. I read from quite a few places that he’ll be better as a 3-4 edge because he’ll be able to get a running start. I think it’s strange that you were saying that thib and hutch weren’t impressive in big games while karlaftis wasn’t either. 

Against nationally ranked teams this year he only had 1.5 sacks. He beat up the mediocre teams and also rarely at that. 

C2F5FE93-67DA-4203-877C-2C842CB77668.png

Burnt. I may not have expressed myself all that well. Basically what I was trying to convey is out of the three of them I would take Karlaftis only because I think he can be had lower in the first round as we could trade down and gather more picks. He can be a serviceable player but not a game changer  ( kind of like a Marty Lyons good player but not worthy of his draft position) where Defensive Coordinaters have to specifically game plan for him I really don’t think any of the three are worthy of a first round selection. Me being an old school ground and pound type who believes that games are won on the line I would grab the Alabama tackle and build an elite o line then try and get Karlaftis or a somewhat lesser caliber d line player later on and using the extra picks garnered by trading down on linebackers and or wide receivers / tight ends. Just wish Bowers from Georgia was eligible as I think he is going to be great 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Burnt. I may not have expressed myself all that well. Basically what I was trying to convey is out of the three of them I would take Karlaftis only because I think he can be had lower in the first round as we could trade down and gather more picks. He can be a serviceable player but not a game changer where Defensive Coordinaters have to specifically game plan for him I really don’t think any of the three are worthy of a first round selection. Me being an old school ground and pound type who believes that games are won on the line I would grab the Alabama tackle and build an elite o line then try and get Karlaftis or a somewhat lesser caliber d line player later on and using the extra picks garnered by trading down on linebackers and or wide receivers / tight ends. Just wish Bowers from Georgia was eligible as I think he is going to be great 

I understand you now. We disagree on thibs, but that’s fine. I agree that the class in general is overhyped edge wise.  I’m kind of the polar opposite of drafting ol tho. I’d rather draft Hamilton, trade down the second pick and stock up on guys like David Ojabo, Drake Jackson, Travon Walker, Dean, Lloyd, Muma, wrs, tes in the late 1st/second and pick up an ol or 2 later on. The line has been fine/good in the second half this year even with all the injuries.  Sign a guard like Connor Williams/James Daniels in fa then focus on the rest of the team in the draft. 

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

That's not true when it comes to Hutchinson. He had his best game of the Year against Ohio State with 3 sacks, and was pretty impressive against Iowa, Penn State and Michigan State.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Best WR available then. 

I said 3 years ago, Take DK Metcalf, not a ******* DT.

But NoooOoo, I was a big stupid! 

? 

DK metcalf is talented, but he's also a bit of a bonehand, with average hands. He was not the pick at 6

• Upvote 1

Fitting that the Jets have not ONE, but likely TWO 1st round, top 10 picks in trash draft. The PR'ers are overrated, there's no bluechip WR (though I like Burks, he's not top 5 pick WR), the best OT will likely be gone and there's no QBs inciting fevers of lust... again, we'll be left holding our dicks. 

Typical.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I really don’t get the love for Karlaftis, especially in the top 5.  He doesn’t have the production or elite athleticism to warrant such a high pick.  4.5 sacks playing the whole year, and yet you have people here saying here is a no brainer top 5 pick.  Someone Ike Ojabo has such a higher ceiling and the production (11 sacks) to back it up.  

Agreed it doesn’t make a ton of sense. I definitely need to look into him more, but I don’t really see why he’s rated so much higher than guys like Jackson, ojabo, Johnson, walker. They are all about the same for me as mid first -early 2nd guys. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

That's not true when it comes to Hutchinson. He had his best game of the Year against Ohio State with 3 sacks, and was pretty impressive against Iowa, Penn State and Michigan State.

Petite - Frere kept karlaftis in check the entire game. Hutchinson went off against him with 3 sacks. 

23 minutes ago, Jets1958 said:

Traylon Burks WR

My motto is always take the best player available regardless of position when you have a top 10 pick. Problem this go around is there are no sure fire picks with this draft and drafting Hamilton at 4 is too high for a safety. Karlaftis is good but is he worthy at 4? In the end as much as we badly need to upgrade our defense, Burks would be the pick. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

I want a #4 pick with a low bust %, a position that makes sense to take in the top 5 and some one who improves the performance of others around him.

Neal.

In my original post I said Thibs Hutch and Neal are off the board. Who’s your pick 

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Thibodeaux, Hutchinson and Neal just went picks 1-3. There’s no trade down partner available. Who’s the pick? 

I think it’s Kyle Hamilton and it’s not even that hard of a pick!

Is he 

the best

in

the 

neigh

shun

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Ive been researching wrs big time lately.

the guy thats standing out isnt being talked about enough: drake london!

we need a BIG tough sure handed playmaker. Hes my #1, with Burks my #2 for similar reasons.

I dont need smallish route runners

I'm on board with this just because of the name.

Drake London definitely ****s.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, genot said:

Karafitis. He's a can't miss impact player at a position of need. A no Brainer pick considering we have another pick in the 1st Rd.

In this scenario, I would take my highest rated Edge guy. If Karaftis, he's the pick. On other caveat.....if the reports that the CS is really "fed up " with Becton, I may go with my higest rated OT, maybe be NC St guy or the Miss.St guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, rtnelson said:

This is what I am worried about.  When I watch them play I don't see sure fire game changers.  I'm extremely worried one of these guys falls to us at 4 and we take them and while they may be decent players completely aren't worth the 4th overall.

Exactly... This is what I am worried about also with every defensive player this year. None is worth a top 5 pick. They will go there, but none is Chase or Bosa worthy. I hope that Neal falls to us, because I don't think there's going to be a big trade down push this year as well, cause there's not a lot for teams to trade up for. Even if there is someone willing, the offers are not going to be anywhere near last years trades.

I like Neal if he falls, then the best WR off the board at 7, either Williams, or Burks.... In the spirit of multiple same named players, we could now have 3 Williams lol...

9 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Karlaftis 

8 hours ago, CSNY said:

Personally I think he’s the best edge in the draft. 

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Its a no brainer: karlaftis

8 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Karlaftis without a doubt.

How do you think he'll test?

I'm worried that while he's a strong bull rusher and technician he doesn't really have the explosive athleticism for the next level. He reminds me of AJ Epenesa a little.

Taking a WR is the best choice....

but I think we'll be able to get our choice of WR at 7....

I don't love the idea of taking  OL early this year - but its it's between OL or CB and Safety or reaching for an edge - I'll take OL.

I do think trading down would be ideal there though.  There are teams that need S, CB and OL help and willing to move to up to get their guy.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, tfine said:

Giving up on Davis already?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There is enough info out there on Davis .... I'm not giving up, just stating facts. He fails at the biggest points in games, he's terrible at catching contested balls which is what a possession WR is all about, he catches the ball with his body, and he has too many drops in very big situations. What more evidence do we need ? this guy is not even close to a number 1 or a high end number 2. Davis cost us the momentum in at least 2 games possibly more by not making plays at crucial points in the game that's not to mention the drops that turned into Int's 

• Upvote 4