Van Roten vs. LDT

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's nice to think it was all Van Roten, but GVR and Feeney played 100% of the snaps against the Jags with LDT and AVT out and they rushed for 273 yards at 7.6 ypc.  Even if you take away Wilson's carries they had 182 at 5.7 ypc.

yep.  imo gvr needed to be upgraded but what this oline needed most was to play together as a team.  it looks like they have all finally learned their blocking assignments and it's easier to just plug in a guy if the starter goes down.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

GVR was a major problem. 

Coming into this year with GVR as the incumbent was an irresponsible choice by Douglas.

That's not entirely accurate. We had another starter who had the mental issue (forget his name), and another good draft prospect Cam that nearly got paralyzed. Had either of those situations not occurred that would have provided the starting RG to be expected. And, JD then when he could traded nothing to get a starting LG that we have now that is solid. Now we can mostly draft and/or get FA Olineman for depth and to upgrade moving forward since the current group is good. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I get it, but when I look at the other options - I can't help but see GVR was still penciled in as the starter.  I believe he was at the top of the depth chart to start camp. 

If you're crossing your fingers and simply hoping some other garbage is going to beat him out - It's a bad move.  I'm not calling for JD's head - it was a mistake coming into the season with him as your starter.  That is all...

Btw...I'm with you, I do not think you need studs at every position on the OL - someone simply adequate would be fine - GVR was not that.

Meh the plan was a minimum 4 man tryout (not counting Edoga/others). Other teams do it and it works out; this summer it didn't, and frankly by the 2nd half of August 2 of the 4 guys (including the one he was probably pulling for the hardest, in Clark) were out of the mix due to injury or retirement. A 5th option was taken out of the mix by Becton getting injured week 1. Sometimes things don't pan out as planned/hoped. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep.  imo gvr needed to be upgraded but what this oline needed most was to play together as a team.  it looks like they have all finally learned their blocking assignments and it's easier to just plug in a guy if the starter goes down.

Zone blocking schemes are difficult to pickup within a short amount of time. So, even is the form of the WCO we use. Over the years Teams like the 49ers, Packers, etc. use offense systems like this and the Jets would try it and abandon it too quickly. Then you see like now with even marginal talent across the board on O, and a QB playing per the system, the offense can be productive to where even now this team can average around 23-25 points a game and that can go higher into next year. The afore mentioned teams i.e 49ers, and Packers over the time they were very good with WCO, Zone Blocking, etc. keep that in place longer and that's what eventually provided them much of the success they had/have. You just have to get it in place and give it the time it requires to flourish like the bud that eventually becomes the full blown flower. Lets hope we have a good showing going into the offseason i.e show good enough progress at the Bills as well and go into the off season feeling good that the team has the understanding of what to do going forward and get better at it while we have more pieces added.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

That's not entirely accurate. We had another starter who had the mental issue (forget his name), and another good draft prospect Cam that nearly got paralyzed. Had either of those situations not occurred that would have provided the starting RG to be expected. And, JD then when he could traded nothing to get a starting LG that we have now that is solid. Now we can mostly draft and/or get FA Olineman for depth and to upgrade moving forward since the current group is good. 

i agree.  no doubt avt would have won the lg starting job from lewis had he not retired.  if he stayed maybe he would've moved to rg and put gvr on the bench.  losing clark hurt as did becton getting injured in game 1.  add to that the simple fact that these guys needed to get practice and game time together and it's no wonder it took so long for the oline to finally show something.