CJ Mosley Named 2021 Jets MVP

Here's what I just wrote in response to a Tom Shane post about it being a good time to move Mosely out

I swear watching Mosely play is like watching a highlight tape of Jonathon Vilma from 2006 with his 117 tackles most of them made 7 yards from the LOS. The numbers look good but the impact is pretty weak. It's a good time to take that that 4th round pick someone might be willing to give up for him after this season.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not.

He think he's played pretty well given the circumstances.

Surrounded by All Pros at LB, veteran lockdown CBs and stud Safeties behind him, how could we not expect him to succeed! ?

I mentioned his performance a few days ago in this thread... 

Not all tackles are created equally. If you're an ILB and tackle the running back coming through the A gap 10 yards down the field, have you done a great job? It's not the worst thing you could have done but certainly not the best.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Congrats.  Excellent choice.   No other player even close, especially on that porous defense.  

I'm with you on this.

If you ask me whether he's worth the money.  Nope.  Not really close.  But it's not Mosley's fault that Macc shoveled huge coin at him.  But money isn't the question...

If you ask whether he's been the most valuable player on the team?  I could argue that he has, certainly on the defense.  He's the only guy out there tackling and he's trying cover up for young, inexperienced and less talented guys orbiting him in the second and third levels of the defense.

Mosley had 13 total tackles this past week (4 more than anyone else).  He has to be getting up from the ground after tackling someone and looking at Hamsah Nasirildeen, Del'Shawn Philips, Elijah Riley, etc. and saying, "who are these guys?"

You know how GVR stands out as bad because we've had good play from AVT, Moses, Fant, etc. around him?  It's the same but opposite with Mosley.  He's not surrounded by much except for a glorified CB2 in Hall (who is very good but should not be a team's CB1).

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

He’s been maligned since he opted out last year and he’s got that big contract and all. I agree with you. He’s always in on a play and if we draft LB early, I hope he’s there to teach. 

I don't think we're drafting a Mosely replacement/competitor at ILB, tbqh. 

Far more pressing needs almost everywhere else on Defense, especially pass rushing-Edge, OLB, and at Safety.  

People complain about Mosely making tackles downfield, but don't seem to notice it's mostly because everyone else in that front group is trash, and Mosely has to clean up their missed tackles sideline to sideline. He's not as elite as he once was, sure, be he's more than adequate, which can't be said for most of our other defensive players, including the hyped up fan-fav guys on both the D-line and at CB.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Not all tackles are created equally. If you're an ILB and tackle the running back coming through the A gap 10 yards down the field, have you done a great job? It's not the worst thing you could have done but certainly not the best.

Yeah, but we don't even have ILBs anymore, Barry.  We have a MLB role since we went from 3-4 to 4-3, AND for the most part Mosley hasn't been playing that MLB role, they've been trying to use him at strongside OLB.  Now injuries have changed that a lot (see Jarrad Davis) but the Jets made a conscious effort to change Mosley's position this year when they went from 4 LBs to 3, didn't they?

1402560392_ScreenShot2022-01-05at9_00_06AM.png.aa95eeee60cf47fa8ce1e78e2bb3a4b9.png

"The coaching staff (head coach Robert Saleh and defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich) have been super high on Davis this entire offseason which perhaps explains why he was the first player the Jets signed when free agency started back in March.

In the unofficial depth chart, the starting linebackers were listed as Mosley (strongside linebacker), Davis (middle linebacker), and Hamsah Nasirildeen (weakside linebacker).

Rich Cimini of ESPN revealed in his Sunday morning column nuggets that, Davis “was calling the defensive signals” during training camp. He “appeared” to get the call from the sideline and then relayed it to the huddle.

Again this was a surprising development because it was assumed that Mosley would handle those responsibilities as the captain of the Jets defense and something he’s routinely done throughout his career.

Here’s why this sneaky makes sense.

Davis during his time with Detroit called plays and is most familiar with the mike linebacker role. So keep him where he played best and shift Mosley who is a more proven and versatile player to outside linebacker.

The former Baltimore Ravens stud shed over 20 pounds from his 2019 playing weight (from 250 pounds to around 231) ahead of this season. He has gotten a lot faster and has maintained his core level of strength which is paramount to playing the linebacker position in today’s NFL.

• Upvote 1

I think the Jets should bite the bullet with Mosley in 2022, don’t extend or restructure, let him play full time for his 2023 contract.  If he wants to stay for $5mm in 2023 we can discuss.  

We should find a premium draft pick to play next to him, along with a FA.   Cashman and Davis (contract expiring) move on.

So the LBs for 2022 are Mosley, Quincy, FA, Draft Pick, Nas, Sherwood.   

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, but we don't even have ILBs anymore, Barry.  We have a MLB role since we went from 3-4 to 4-3, AND for the most part Mosley hasn't been playing that MLB role, they've been trying to use him at strongside OLB.  Now injuries have changed that a lot (see Jarrad Davis) but the Jets made a conscious effort to change Mosley's position this year when they went from 4 LBs to 3, didn't they?

I was giving an example as to why all tackles aren't created equal. We need to upgrade Mosely IMO. Our run defense was atrocious and until that is fixed the entire defense is broken. This scheme relies less on d-line and more on LB to stop the run. Stop it 7 yards down field and get another tackle added to your stats. Now it's 2nd and 3. Yay!

32 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's almost as if the team intentional pissed on Douglas and Saleh. 

people forget that JD got rid of all of Macs guys except for CJ and QW. so if there still on this team thats because of JD. its not like he couldn't trade them for picks