CJ Mosley Named 2021 Jets MVP

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Anyone who knows football and has watched all of the Jets games this year knows that Mosley played very well all season.

Team MVP? I dunno. There are other guys to consider. But to suggest that its laughable, or that he doesn't deserve it because of where we are ranked as a team in run D, or because of his DVOA, or because of his salary of all things...is a bit unfair, IMO. 

Dude balled out and was easily the most consistent player. He did his job every week and his numbers more than back that up. Thats more than you can say of a lot of guys. I agree that Berrios, Fant and AVT could all be awarded team MVP. I think maybe Mosley's veteran leadership gave him the edge.

Disagree that he played well all season. He looked like ass after his injury but has played better more recently. Who is responsible for stopping the run in a wide-9?

It may be that he was playing through the injury that caused his poor play when he came back and playing through it is part of why he was voted team mvp.

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the Jets should bite the bullet with Mosley in 2022, don’t extend or restructure, let him play full time for his 2023 contract.  If he wants to stay for $5mm in 2023 we can discuss.  

We should find a premium draft pick to play next to him, along with a FA.   Cashman and Davis (contract expiring) move on.

So the LBs for 2022 are Mosley, Quincy, FA, Draft Pick, Nas, Sherwood.   

I agree 100%. How premium the draft pick should be, I'm not sure. While I'd love to draft Dean, Loyd, Harris or B.Smith- these are guys that are going in the first 2 rounds. I think we can find a LB in the 3rd round, maybe 4th. Someone like Quay Walker, maybe Darrian Beavers if he falls that far. 

11 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

What a joke. He wasn’t the Most Valuable Player for the Jets. That would be Berrios or Fant. 

Berrios is laughable.   He's not even the most valuable WR (Moore), much less the most valuable player on offense (Carter), much less the most valuable player on the team.

The hype this backup WR and special teamer is now getting is just off the charts. 

Some want to give him #2 starting WR money, some now think he's our MVP, it's only a matter of time till some start advocating him to be our #1 starting WR next year, lol. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No one players is responsible for stopping the run. In any system. On any team. 

Yes, the LBs are technically responsible for stopping the run in a wide nine. But Mosley seemed to be the only one doing his job. Thats kind of the point. The Jets also played a ton of nickel. I don't know what the exact numbers are but just from watching them all year I can tell you they did not play that much wide nine. 

He wasn't very good in coverage. But nobody was. lol. Mosley's best days are past him. But he's still a hell of a LB and had a very good season. I think if he had a better supporting cast his numbers would be nowhere near as impressive and he probably wouldn't win team MVP...but the team would be ranked much, much higher defensively.  

I didn't mean to imply one player was responsible. I am pointing at the LB group. 

Being the best of that group doesn't mean a lot to me. I think his locker room and leadership stuff probably contributed most to this.

That group, led by CJ, needs a huge upgrade IMO. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Ranked 32 in defensive DVOA. 

Fant deserved this award IMO.

Fant should have ran away with it. He was pitching baseballs with his non-dominant hand and was still the best player on the field.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Berrios is laughable.   He's not even the most valuable WR (Moore), much less the most valuable player on offense (Carter), much less the most valuable player on the team.

The hype this backup WR and special teamer is now getting is just off the charts. 

Some want to give him #2 starting WR money, some now think he's our MVP, it's only a matter of time till some start advocating him to be our #1 starting WR next year, lol. :rolleyes:

JD reads this forum and will give him a 3yr $45m extension just u wait.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was giving an example as to why all tackles aren't created equal. We need to upgrade Mosely IMO. Our run defense was atrocious and until that is fixed the entire defense is broken. This scheme relies less on d-line and more on LB to stop the run. Stop it 7 yards down field and get another tackle added to your stats. Now it's 2nd and 3. Yay!

Closer to what I see. He makes more tackles than he does stops. Seems to me a lot of his tackles come couple few yards too late. I’m also not sure he’s the one that needs to be replaced. The D line has been beyond underwhelming this year. Plus he might have little more coverage responsibility because of the Inexperienced of the secondary. Hard to say. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

JD reads this forum and will give him a 3yr $45m extension just u wait.

I hope we resign him, and I hope he's paid well for his role.  

But lets not pretend he's something he isn't.  He a valued depth WR and special teamer.  Not an MVP or starting WR.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was giving an example as to why all tackles aren't created equal. We need to upgrade Mosely IMO. Our run defense was atrocious and until that is fixed the entire defense is broken. This scheme relies less on d-line and more on LB to stop the run. Stop it 7 yards down field and get another tackle added to your stats. Now it's 2nd and 3. Yay!

The same argument for the Jets to get rid of Vilma and Farrior. 

It was wrong then and is today.  All the same "all their tackles were made 7 yards downfield" talk was said for those two also.  

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Awful. Not that he got team MVP, because really who gives a sh*t. But that the overall play of the team this year was so bad that Mosley's "performances" come out smelling like roses.

It’s a “thanks for not straight up quitting, respected veteran” award.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

people forget that JD got rid of all of Macs guys except for CJ and QW. so if there still on this team thats because of JD. its not like he couldn't trade them for picks

CJ can't be released until after next year.  QW is on a rookie deal where he's already been paid and really shouldn't be touched until they make a decision on his optiion which they will.  Thank you Mac and Gase.  

JD would have gotten rid of both of them if he could have.  

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nice straw man argument my dude. 

Random side note: I always picture you as Charles Emerson Winchester III from M.A.S.H. when I read your rants lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Fant, McGovern, Mosely. Got rid of Robbie Anderson, Jamal Adams, and LeVeon Bell. Culture changer martyr Adam Gase. 

Fant

• No evidence Gase had even half a fingerprint on that acquisition, other than maybe at best not rejecting it

McGovern

• 1 year total garbage under Gase + 1 year about average when away from Gase = fail acquisition on balance at $9MM/yr

Mosley

• totally horrible contract - $51MM fully guaranteed - for a player who hasn't fulfilled even 1/3 of expectations, and this was the one big splash that was all because Gase wanted him. Baltimore's top offer iirc was ~$11MM/yr, so of course Gase has Maccagnan pay Mosley $17MM with 3 years fully guaranteed at signing. Bleh. Watching him reminds me of Vilma getting dragged 2-4 yards after initial contact for all the glorious tackle total stats. He sucks.

Adams

• Again, it's doubtful Gase - Mr. HC of the Offense Only - had anything to do with this (let alone that he was a party to the negotiations themselves). This was part of Douglas's long term rebuild plan. 

Bell

• I don't know what's the point of listing him here; he was guaranteed a bunch of money by Maccagnan. I guess you can pat him on the back for dumping Bell half a season early, except he then went with Bell of a different name (Gore) as his primary back. I'm not seeing where the big kudos come into play here.

Anderson

• In terms of guaranteed $:
    • Anderson's contract: 2 yr $20MM -- for 1 yr 1100 yds + 1 yr of garbage 
  • vs
    • Perriman's contract: 1 yr $6.5MM -- for 1 yr of garbage
    • Davis's contract: 2 yrs $27MM -- for 1 yr of garbage and 1 yr ??? 
    • Total = 3 yrs $33.5MM for 2 yrs of garbage + 1 yr of ???
  • Despite all the slam dunking to the contrary, they'd have been better off with Anderson than the route they traveled instead.

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Here's what I just wrote in response to a Tom Shane post about it being a good time to move Mosely out

I swear watching Mosely play is like watching a highlight tape of Jonathon Vilma from 2006 with his 117 tackles most of them made 7 yards from the LOS. The numbers look good but the impact is pretty weak. It's a good time to take that that 4th round pick someone might be willing to give up for him after this season.

Trading Vilma, because of that one season, was a total mistake though, lmfao.  He went on to have an absolutely phenomenal career with N.O.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Trading Vilma, because of that one season, was a total mistake though, lmfao.  He went on to have an absolutely phenomenal career with N.O.

I thought we traded him because we changed back to a 3-4 and he was undersized for an ILB. He got injured his first year trying to play ILB. Not funny, but they asked mosely to lose weight to make switch from 3-4 to 4-3 and he also got injured although, not as bad.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yes, the defense fell off a cliff without Vilma.  I mean they were only #1 in points allowed and #1 in yards allowed without him.  Imagine what they could have done with him!

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I thought we traded him because we changed back to a 3-4 and he was undersized for an ILB. He got injured his first year trying to play ILB. Not funny, but they asked mosely to lose weight to make switch from 3-4 to 4-3 and he also got injured although, not as bad.

Kind of a crock of sh*t, no?  Mosley has played in 15 of 16 and he hadn't played in 2 years.  Do you think there are any 29 year old linebackers that took two seasons off that go through a full year without missing a game? 

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The most respected veteran on the team gets the award.  Good for him.  Saleh and Douglas are really killing it on the culture side of things.  Its been long overdue.

yes he has established a losing culture-6 wins in two seasons bravo

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kind of a crock of sh*t, no?  Mosley has played in 15 of 16 and he hadn't played in 2 years.  Do you think there are any 29 year old linebackers that took two seasons off that go through a full year without missing a game? 

How is it a crock of sh*t? Dude got injured but he's 29 and hadn't played in 2 years so pretend it didn't happen?

That wasn't even the point I was making, just an interesting similarity as an aside while I was talking about it.