CJ Mosley Named 2021 Jets MVP

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

MVP means something different on every team. On a really good team, it’s usually a guy that, if out for a sustained amount of time, the team doesn’t win. Look no further than the Ravens the last 5 weeks. On a young team like the Jets, starting like  7-8 rookies, it’s not that obvious. It’s a bunch of behind the scenes stuff, things that most folks outside the building on a daily basis don’t see. Practice habits, work ethic, teaching youngsters how to be a pro, and a non stop motor on Sunday. Everyone marveled on how hard this team played every week, never quit, etc. Have to feel Mosley had very much to do with that. Pretty obvious choice , IMHO.

Probably the best argument for Mosely as MVP. 

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fant

• No evidence Gase had even half a fingerprint on that acquisition, other than maybe at best not rejecting it

McGovern

• 1 year total garbage under Gase + 1 year about average when away from Gase = fail acquisition on balance at $9MM/yr

Mosley

• totally horrible contract - $51MM fully guaranteed - for a player who hasn't fulfilled even 1/3 of expectations, and this was the one big splash that was all because Gase wanted him. Baltimore's top offer iirc was ~$11MM/yr, so of course Gase has Maccagnan pay Mosley $17MM with 3 years fully guaranteed at signing. Bleh. Watching him reminds me of Vilma getting dragged 2-4 yards after initial contact for all the glorious tackle total stats. He sucks.

Adams

• Again, it's doubtful Gase - Mr. HC of the Offense Only - had anything to do with this (let alone that he was a party to the negotiations themselves). This was part of Douglas's long term rebuild plan. 

Bell

• I don't know what's the point of listing him here; he was guaranteed a bunch of money by Maccagnan. I guess you can pat him on the back for dumping Bell half a season early, except he then went with Bell of a different name (Gore) as his primary back. I'm not seeing where the big kudos come into play here.

Anderson

• In terms of guaranteed $:
    • Anderson's contract: 2 yr $20MM -- for 1 yr 1100 yds + 1 yr of garbage 
  • vs
    • Perriman's contract: 1 yr $6.5MM -- for 1 yr of garbage
    • Davis's contract: 2 yrs $27MM -- for 1 yr of garbage and 1 yr ??? 
    • Total = 3 yrs $33.5MM for 2 yrs of garbage + 1 yr of ???
  • Despite all the slam dunking to the contrary, they'd have been better off with Anderson than the route they traveled instead.

All true, but Anderson, Adams, and Bell were cancerous lesions and remain so. You can try to steal Adam’s shine, but it’s like trying to snuff out the sun with a flyswatter. 

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How is it a crock of sh*t? Dude got injured but he's 29 and hadn't played in 2 years so pretend it didn't happen?

That wasn't even the point I was making, just an interesting similarity as an aside while I was talking about it.

He got "injured" because he plays football.  He actually got injured in 2019.  This year he got dinged and missed one game. He played 100% of the defensive snaps in 13 games, 94% in one and 82% in another.  Plus he played specials.  He literally is top 20 in the NFL in defensive snaps played.  The idea that constitutes being "injured" for an NFL player is ludicrous.  The idea that it might have to do with him losing weight even stranger. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

He got "injured" because he plays football.  He actually got injured in 2019.  This year he got dinged and missed one game. He played 100% of the defensive snaps in 13 games, 94% in one and 82% in another.  Plus he played specials.  He literally is top 20 in the NFL in defensive snaps played.  The idea that constitutes being "injured" for an NFL player is ludicrous.  The idea that it might have to do with him losing weight even stranger. 

OK. It's a crock of sh*t CJ Mosely got injured this year. You win.

31 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How is it a crock of sh*t? Dude got injured but he's 29 and hadn't played in 2 years so pretend it didn't happen?

That wasn't even the point I was making, just an interesting similarity as an aside while I was talking about it.

When did he get hurt after the switch to the 4-3 from the 3-4?

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The idea that constitutes being "injured" for an NFL player is ludicrous.

The idea that a guy who retired in September 2019 constitutes an "NFL player" is ludicrous.

It doesn't do the Jets any good to acknowledge that Mosley is stealing money but pretending he's good because he's old and uncuttable just makes everybody look stupid.

• Thumb Down 2

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All true, but Anderson, Adams, and Bell were cancerous lesions and remain so. You can try to steal Adam’s shine, but it’s like trying to snuff out the sun with a flyswatter. 

Adam's shine?

You think it's my birthday and are lobbing it in underhand now, right? I'll resist but just so you know, it's not in my nature.

;) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Wow, this team really is that bad, huh?

Although in fairness, they could be talking about the player with the most monetary value, in which case CJ has that totally locked up.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Congrats.  Excellent choice.   No other player even close, especially on that porous defense.  

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mike Maccagnan signed CJ Mosely.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

+1, my feeling as well.  The criticism of Mosely by this board is, IMO, wildly misguided.  He is head an shoulders better than anyone else on that pathetic defense.  Hopefully we have a few new pieces around him next season.

Congrats to him.

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Ranked 32 in defensive DVOA. 

Fant deserved this award IMO.

So the award went to the best player on a bad defense, for a player who plays a position with limited impact?

I move that we re-name this honor the "Jamal Adams Award".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

He’s been maligned since he opted out last year and he’s got that big contract and all. I agree with you. He’s always in on a play and if we draft LB early, I hope he’s there to teach. 

$17.5M is an awfully high cap number for a player-coach.  

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If you ask whether he's been the most valuable player on the team?  I could argue that he has, certainly on the defense.  He's the only guy out there tackling and he's trying cover up for young, inexperienced and less talented guys orbiting him in the second and third levels of the defense.

OK.  But he also only had 2 TFLs, 2 QB Hits, 2.0 Sacks, 0 QB Hurries, 0 QB Knockdowns and 2 QB Pressures on 38 blitz attempts.  Though he did have 2 Forced Fumbles.  He also allowed 53 completions on 63 times targeted and an opposing QB Rating of 109.1. 

And while you could say he was covering up for the mistakes of other players, he also didn't make plays when there WERE plays for him to make.  

So yes, while I'd still say Mosley had a solid year and was easily the team's best defender, that didn't justify a team MVP award.  That should have gone to a player on the offensive side of the ball.  Fant or AVT would have been very good choices. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK.  But he also only had 2 TFLs, 2 QB Hits, 2.0 Sacks, 0 QB Hurries, 0 QB Knockdowns and 2 QB Pressures on 38 blitz attempts.  Though he did have 2 Forced Fumbles.  He also allowed 53 completions on 63 times targeted and an opposing QB Rating of 109.1. 

And while you could say he was covering up for the mistakes of other players, he also didn't make plays when there WERE plays for him to make.  

So yes, while I'd still say Mosley had a solid year and was easily the team's best defender, that didn't justify a team MVP award.  That should have gone to a player on the offensive side of the ball.  Fant or AVT would have been very good choices. 

Solid points as usual, 80.  I agree there were other guys worthy of consideration for sure.  I'd add Berrios to the Fant and AVT list as well.

At the same time this is a most "valuable" player award and it's voted by fellow players, correct?  It's not the best player, the player who had the biggest impact, etc.

This roster is now composed of a lot of young guys and I'm guessing that there was a mentoring and leadership component to Mosley that was not always seen by us fans in regard to helping some really young and late-round talent like MCII, Hamsah, Echols, Pinnock, Quincy Williams, etc. step into the league and keep their chins up while being overmatched from a talent standpoint all season.

Aside from Quinnen there's really no elite talent on this D.  Some people will argue that guys like Bryce Hall, maybe JFM, etc. are excellent.... but they're really not.  They look better than they are because they've been surrounded by inexperienced guys who are new to the league.  Don't get me wrong... good players, but those kinds of guys aren't the second, third or fourth best defenders on any other NFL team besides the Jets.  So where other guys who have multiple Pro Bowl seasons under their belts like Mosley does might show frustrations or complain about the situation he's in on this defense, I think CJ probably did the opposite and helped lift guys up to the degree he could.  The guys in the locker room who voted for him probably saw that more than we did.

I hate his contract but I like him as a player.  He's getting older but he's nowhere near the first thing I'm looking to upgrade on this D.  I'd let him play out the 2022 season and continue to let him mentor and lead on a defense that will get even younger next year.  Wouldn't be shocked if the Jets have 2 or 3 rookies starting on defense yet again next season.  Sometimes you have to keep a few of the "gray hairs" around to show what it means to be a Pro on a daily basis.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Solid points as usual, 80.  I agree there were other guys worthy of consideration for sure.  I'd add Berrios to the Fant and AVT list as well.

At the same time this is a most "valuable" player award and it's voted by fellow players, correct?  It's not the best player, the player who had the biggest impact, etc.

This roster is now composed of a lot of young guys and I'm guessing that there was a mentoring and leadership component to Mosley that was not always seen by us fans in regard to helping some really young and late-round talent like MCII, Hamsah, Echols, Pinnock, Quincy Williams, etc. step into the league and keep their chins up while being overmatched from a talent standpoint all season.

Aside from Quinnen there's really no elite talent on this D.  Some people will argue that guys like Bryce Hall, maybe JFM, etc. are excellent.... but they're really not.  They look better than they are because they've been surrounded by inexperienced guys who are new to the league.  Don't get me wrong... good players, but those kinds of guys aren't the second, third or fourth best defenders on any other NFL team besides the Jets.  So where other guys who have multiple Pro Bowl seasons under their belts like Mosley does might show frustrations or complain about the situation he's in on this defense, I think CJ probably did the opposite and helped lift guys up to the degree he could.  The guys in the locker room who voted for him probably saw that more than we did.

I hate his contract but I like him as a player.  He's getting older but he's nowhere near the first thing I'm looking to upgrade on this D.  I'd let him play out the 2022 season and continue to let him mentor and lead on a defense that will get even younger next year.  Wouldn't be shocked if the Jets have 2 or 3 rookies starting on defense yet again next season.  Sometimes you have to keep a few of the "gray hairs" around to show what it means to be a Pro on a daily basis.

I just don’t think he had a whole lot of value either out there, but then I’m not in the locker room or watching practice sessions.  Maybe the D would have been by far the worst of all-time without him.  Maybe a lot of young guys developed over the course of the season thanks to him.  Maybe he gave the whole team a boost.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just don’t think he had a whole lot of value either out there, but then I’m not in the locker room or watching practice sessions.  Maybe the D would have been by far the worst of all-time without him.  Maybe a lot of young guys developed over the course of the season thanks to him.  Maybe he gave the whole team a boost.  

Could be, we don't know.  But I'd trust that the players who voted weren't just throwing their votes around.

I was a bit surprised he got it.  Like we said earlier, Fant, Berrios, AVT should have also be really, really strong contenders.

• Upvote 1

Five other team awards were also announced Wednesday:

Folorunso Fatukasi — Dennis Byrd/Most Inspirational Player
The young man they call Foley gets his third team award in three years after nabbing the Kyle Clifton honor in 2019 and '20. Fatukasi earns the Byrd for his continuing inspirational contributions, from firing up the troops during pregame warmups to juicing his teammates and the fans with his sometimes high impactful hits behind the line of scrimmage.

Fatukasi makes no bones about taking after another inspirational Jets D-lineman in Steve McLendon, who won the Byrd award three years in a row, from 2017-19, before being traded to Tampa Bay last year.

"Big Steve has been a tremendous friend, mentor, a brother to a lot of people," Foley said. "His spirit is still high. I was fortunate, we were fortunate as players, as friends, to have him around. As he would tell me, the show is still going and you have to keep going."

RB Frank Gore was honored last year, but Fatukasi's win marks the ninth time in 10 years that a defensive player has won the award, named for Byrd, the Jets DL who suffered a paralyzing on-field injury in 1992, then worked inspirationally to "Rise Up and Walk," the title of his autobiography, less than a year later.

Ashtyn Davis — Ed Block Courage/Most Courageous Player
Davis worked hard to rehab his serious foot injury, suffered in December 2020 against the Raiders, so that he could return to action in October 2021 vs. the Titans and to the starting lineup two weeks later. His efforts in returning to the field have earned him the respect of his teammates in the form of the Ed Block Courage Award.

Davis is the first Jets defensive player to be presented with "the Block" since Muhammad Wilkerson in 2016 and the first Jets DB to gain the honor since Rontez Miles in '14. TE Ryan Griffin was given the award last year, which annually goes to a player by a vote of his teammates on each of the NFL's 32 teams in honoring players who exemplify commitments to the principles of sportsmanship and courage.

Quinnen Williams — Marty Lyons/Community Service
Williams, the Jets' third-year defensive lineman, has always given back to the community, perhaps inspired by his mother, Marquischa, who died of breast cancer when he was 12 years old. Quinnen has kept up his involvement with Goryeb Children's Hospital as well as the oncology wing at Morristown Medical Center, where he has visited patients, both in person and via ZOOM, and signed autographs for the children and their families.

The award is named after Lyons, the former Jets first-round draft pick, member of the "New York Sack Exchange," Ring of Honor member, current Jets radio analyst, and the longtime proponent of community service through his foundation.

Quinnen Williams — Kyle Clifton/"Good Guy"
Williams also nabbed the Clifton Good Guy Award as voted on by the Jets staff in honor of the Green & White's 13-year linebacker. Along with his Lyons, Quinnen becomes only the third Jet in the last dozen years to claim two team awards in the same season. The other two were quarterbacks: Josh McCown was named Team MVP and the Clifton winner in 2017 and Ryan Fitzpatrick grabbed the Block and Clifton honors in '15.

Elijah Moore — Bill Hampton/"Rookie Who Acts Like a Pro"
It wasn't a full season for Moore as he's missed five of the 16 games to date due to an early concussion, a late quad and COVID. But the rookie from Ole Miss played a full season in the Jets locker room and was named the winner of this year's Bill Hampton Award.

"The Hamp," named after the Jets' late, great equipment manager and voted on by the equipment staff and past award recipient, goes for the second straight year to a second-round WR, after Denzel Mims claimed the honor last year. Other winners still around the team are DL Kyle Phillips (2019) and S Erik Coleman, who won the first Hampton in 2004 and now talks Jets on a number of platforms, including WCBS-TV, SNY, Sirius XM and newyorkjets.com.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mosely did not get injured this year. I thought we established that.

Since you put its that he got injured but hes 29 and hadn't played in 2 years it read that you were talking about this season.  Thats all

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

Here's what I just wrote in response to a Tom Shane post about it being a good time to move Mosely out

I swear watching Mosely play is like watching a highlight tape of Jonathon Vilma from 2006 with his 117 tackles most of them made 7 yards from the LOS. The numbers look good but the impact is pretty weak. It's a good time to take that that 4th round pick someone might be willing to give up for him after this season.

That's actually an indictment of the DLine, not Mosely.