Unlike Giants, Jets have hope heading into next season

doitny

1 hour ago, doitny said:

ok guys i know i just posted a thread on this, but this article came out after i wrote it and i thought some of you might like to read it.

The teams have identical records. Both are 4-12.

Yet the outlook for each could not be more different.

One team can’t wait for its season to end, with Sunday’s 2021 finale tantalizingly in sight, because there’s nothing to be excited about or about which to look forward.

The other team wishes its season was just beginning, with tangible improvements from young players weekly beginning to show in recent weeks.

One team has no idea who its head coach will be next season.

The other knows exactly who’ll be leading it in 2022 and beyond.

One team has significant uncertainty at quarterback.

The other believes it’s found the quarterback who’ll lead the franchise for the next decade.

For one team, the arrow is pointed downward.

For the other, the arrow is pointed up.

There you have the respective vibes surrounding the Giants and Jets at the moment.

The Giants’ plight at the moment feels hopeless, with general manager Dave Gettleman about to be replaced and the futures of head coach Joe Judge and quarterback Daniel Jones murky at best.

Conversely, the Jets and their fans are buoyed with hope, boosted considerably by the Jets nearly defeating Tom Brady and the defending Super Bowl champion Buccaneers last Sunday as they prepare to play the Bills this Sunday in Buffalo.

This season, with a rookie head coach in Robert Saleh and a rookie quarterback in Zach Wilson, was never going to be about the won-loss record at the end for the Jets. But they’ve doubled their win total from 2020, when they went 2-14 and replaced Adam Gase with Saleh.

The Jets hope to get rookie running back Michael Carter back after he was knocked out of Sunday’s game with a concussion, considering that in 13 games this season he has rushed for 620 yards and four TDs with a 4.5-yard average.

There, too, is an outside chance they get rookie receiver Elijah Moore back from his quadriceps injury for the finale. In 11 games, Moore has 43 catches for 538 yards and five TDs and has looked like a dynamic skill-position weapon the Jets have lacked for what seems like forever.

These reasons are why the Jets see light, reasons they want to see more of these players before the season ends.

Saleh was asked if he’s allowed himself to think about the future with some of the building blocks in place combined with an offseason of two picks in the first round of the draft and two in the second round along with some $48 million in salary cap space (according to overthecap.com) to spend.

“You do, but you also got to check yourself pretty quickly, because there’s still this week to worry about,’’ Saleh said. “I promise as soon as evaluations are over and this game [at Buffalo] checks out and we finish and we’re diving into our tape with regards to self-scout and looking, that’s where all the focus goes to

Do you allow your mind to drift? Sure, but at the same time, as a coach you just can’t let it drift too far because … there’s still a lot of guys who are getting an opportunity that not only want to show that they belong on an NFL roster, but they should be starting in this league. And because of it, it’s our absolute commitment to devote every ounce of energy to them.’’

That energy has created hope for 2022. It’s an energy that’s completely missing from the Jets’ MetLife Stadium co-tenants as this season winds to its end.

Who wrote this article, @FidelioJet or @Joe W. Namath???

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

Keep Carter out. No need to rush him back from a concussion for a meaningless game. Head injuries are nasty, lingering and risky. Give him the offseason to fully recover.

Look no further than Toon and Chrebet.   Both guys shortened their careers after coming back too soon from concussions.   Totally agree that playing Carter this week would be idiotic.

• Upvote 1

I think the key to the Giants collapse has to start with the injury of Daniel Jones. I think he's underrated. Before that they at least were competitive. Mike Glennon has been terrible in his backup position and if you want to begin criticizing the GM you can start there not signing an adequate backup Qb in case of injury. They did previously have Colt McCoy who is a good backup and can start games. 

• Upvote 1

This year was about 2 things.  Build a foundation and establish a culture.  Both were done at a tremendously high level.  Year 2 is about filling in the missing pieces and start learning how to win football games.  Which all leads up to year 3 when we will be a perennial Super Bowl contender moving forward.

There is no hope involved here.  This is a strategic plan being executed at every turn.  This franchise is about to go places we never have before.  Enjoy Jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Keep Carter out. No need to rush him back from a concussion for a meaningless game. Head injuries are nasty, lingering and risky. Give him the offseason to fully recover.

I don’t disagree from a a practical standpoint but I’m lying if I don’t want to see Zach, Moore and Carter battle the Bills. I’m sorry. I know it’s short sighted, but still. Let’s go!!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This year was about 2 things.  Build a foundation and establish a culture.  Both were done at a tremendously high level.  Year 2 is about filling in the missing pieces and start learning how to win football games.  Which all leads up to year 3 when we will be a perennial Super Bowl contender moving forward.

There is no hope involved here.  This is a strategic plan being executed at every turn.  This franchise is about to go places we never have before.  Enjoy Jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 wins in 2 years  and will have 4 wins in a longer season this year-so far Joe built a foundation of losing and a culture of losing-wake me when the Jets have a winning record under Joe

cant wait to hear the excuses for next year

Joes first year under contract "does not count"

Last year-was joes first year but that does not count

this year the team was awful again but it does not count

Parcells was in the AFC championship by now after being handed a 1 win team-Joe walked into a team just under 500 and made them much worse and the team has not reached or even sniffed 7 wins terrible gase brought us if that was not Joes team

28 minutes ago, kmnj said:

both teams are awful as shown by their records

both teams coaching staffs are terrible as shown by their records

both teams gms are awful as shown by their records

i got to give you credit. most of the negative nancys have quiet it down since sunday but you just keep on going. like the little energizer bunny.

there were a few record guys like you but even they realized after one bad call away from beating the SB champs and Wilsons improvement things are looking up for us. 

but you keep rocking, this board needs someone to argue with for 9 months. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I think the key to the Giants collapse has to start with the injury of Daniel Jones. I think he's underrated. Before that they at least were competitive. Mike Glennon has been terrible in his backup position and if you want to begin criticizing the GM you can start there not signing an adequate backup Qb in case of injury. They did previously have Colt McCoy who is a good backup and can start games. 

and yet people here criticized JD for not having one but White and Johnson played well. and then he gets Flacco just in case of injury and he plays well. while Gett sits back with Glennon and the other guy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

While I agree with most of what has been said, I can imagine there are many in the Giants organization who are not looking forward to the last game as FA and Black Monday would be right around the corner :-)

If I'm a Giants fan, I'm looking forward to Black Monday and seeing Judge get the boot.  He is a clown. 

35 minutes ago, doitny said:

i got to give you credit. most of the negative nancys have quiet it down since sunday but you just keep on going. like the little energizer bunny.

there were a few record guys like you but even they realized after one bad call away from beating the SB champs and Wilsons improvement things are looking up for us. 

but you keep rocking, this board needs someone to argue with for 9 months. 

why do teams play the game ? they play the game to win-there are no moral victories -guess u are one of those guys that likes participation awards. teams are judged by wins and losses the jets under Joe have lots of losses and very few wins

I have seen this story over and over again. I watched it with izadick and I watched it with MAC- sadly Joe is just like them as shown by his record.   Until his team actually wins games he is a loser-as Parcells said you are what your record says you are

32 minutes ago, kmnj said:

why do teams play the game ? they play the game to win-there are no moral victories -guess u are one of those guys that likes participation awards. teams are judged by wins and losses the jets under Joe have lots of losses and very few wins

I have seen this story over and over again. I watched it with izadick and I watched it with MAC- sadly Joe is just like them as shown by his record.   Until his team actually wins games he is a loser-as Parcells said you are what your record says you are

So what is your plan?  I'd love to hear what posters like you, who constantly claim JD is terrible, want to do come Monday?  Does JD stay or go?  If he goes, does Saleh go too?  Or does a new GM inherit Saleh?  If JD goes, who is his replacement?  Same with Saleh.  It's so easy to bitch and moan, but if you are going to do that, offer an alternative.  And how do you build a winning team if you tear it down every 2-3 years?  Sometimes you need a little patience.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

both teams are awful as shown by their records

both teams coaching staffs are terrible as shown by their records

both teams gms are awful as shown by their records

There's a reason the phrase 'better than their record' exists

There are 2 types of 4-12 teams

1) The dumpster fire

2) The dumpster

Currently the Giants are a dumpster fire and the Jets are a dumpster

Luckily most dumpsters improve dramatically in the next few years (Bengals, Browns, Cardinals are all examples of this)

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

6 wins in 2 years  and will have 4 wins in a longer season this year-so far Joe built a foundation of losing and a culture of losing-wake me when the Jets have a winning record under Joe

cant wait to hear the excuses for next year

Joes first year under contract "does not count"

Last year-was joes first year but that does not count

this year the team was awful again but it does not count

Parcells was in the AFC championship by now after being handed a 1 win team-Joe walked into a team just under 500 and made them much worse and the team has not reached or even sniffed 7 wins terrible gase brought us if that was not Joes team

This post is so myopic and histrionic I would not even know where to begin tearing it down so all I will say is you are welcome to whatever opinion you want

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If I'm a Giants fan, I'm looking forward to Black Monday and seeing Judge get the boot.  He is a clown. 

If you’re a Giants fan, you’re doing the same thing with Judge we are with Saleh. Give him time and hope he figures it out.
You hire a first time HC, you have to put up with the dumb moments and hope they learn on the job.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I'm not exactly sold on Saleh, but I don't think he's gonna go 0-17

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So what is your plan?  I'd love to hear what posters like you, who constantly claim JD is terrible, want to do come Monday?  Does JD stay or go?  If he goes, does Saleh go too?  Or does a new GM inherit Saleh?  If JD goes, who is his replacement?  Same with Saleh.  It's so easy to bitch and moan, but if you are going to do that, offer an alternative.  And how do you build a winning team if you tear it down every 2-3 years?  Sometimes you need a little patience.  

LOL you’re the same guy who just said Judge is a clown who will be fired on Black Monday. Now you lecture this guy on patience… for Saleh. ?

The smartest thing the Giants could do is clean house. They made a mistake on the GM, HC, QB. Cut bait now - there is no point hanging on just to hang on when it is inevitable.

They are in the same situation that the Jets were in recently and holding on and just getting a new GM to tie to Judge/Jones would be the biggest mistake they could make. Yes it is a bad look, but just take it on the chin and move on

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

actually, i hate participation trophy's but that for another thread.

so you have no hope for next year? we're the same as the Giants.? 

and you never seen THIS STORY. Idzick and Mac never had a draft anywhere close to 2021. the best class in 20 years. 

17 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

JD will stay due to the nature of his contract-the reality is he will be here next year as will Saleh-if the team cant get to 6-8 wins he should be fired as should his coach with the draft capital he has and the money he has to spend. I went to over 300 games in person-do you know how many playoff games the jets hosted since the early 70s when I started going as a tiny kid?  How  many decades does one need to wait?

How do you build a winning team you ask? I greatly overpay for a proven winner to come here -I would have hired Ozzie and paid him a boat load of money over Joe. It is lots easier to have a patience with a proven winner. This model worked pretty well throughout history. It got the cubs a ring after 100 years-even when the jets did it with parcells we got to the AFC championship

15 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

LOL you’re the same guy who just said Judge is a clown who will be fired on Black Monday. Now you lecture this guy on patience… for Saleh. ?

Back in the day, before you had to change your name you where the same guy who sang the praises of Judge and even Gettleman.   ?