Unlike Giants, Jets have hope heading into next season

doitny

The Jets and Giants are both uninteresting teams that aren't competitive.   You can be living in a leaper colony and have hope.  You can be living in Monoca and be in despair.  State of mind doesn't change the condition on the ground.  

They have a loaded draft next year just like we do.   Not sure why Giant fans are in despair and Jets fans have hope.  Both HC's seem like they are terrible.  Saleh is likely to be around longer which actually could be a negative?  Gettleman getting fired could be a positive?  

Judge had the Giants looking better down the stretch last year than Saleh has had the Jets looking down the stretch this year and it meant nothing toward the team development.  It just postponed the enivitable.  

This thread points out one thing.  Misery loves company and Jets fans are still jealous of the Giants for some reason, I can't figure out.  

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

JD will stay due to the nature of his contract-the reality is he will be here next year as will Saleh-if the team cant get to 6-8 wins he should be fired as should his coach with the draft capital he has and the money he has to spend. I went to over 300 games in person-do you know how many playoff games the jets hosted since the early 70s when I started going as a tiny kid?  How  many decades does one need to wait?

How do you build a winning team you ask? I greatly overpay for a proven winner to come here -I would have hired Ozzie and paid him a boat load of money over Joe. It is lots easier to have a patience with a proven winner. This model worked pretty well throughout history. It got the cubs a ring after 100 years-even when the jets did it with parcells we got to the AFC championship

I've been going to games since 1966 and had season tickets for 42 years.  I also attended 300 or so games .  I know as much as anybody that there has not been a home playoff game since 2002.  That doesn't mean you build the team differently though.  We all want to win.  Whining and complaining constantly doesn't bring the wins or make the team competitive any faster.  

So your strategy for ending this drought is to go after one man- Newsome.  He retired in 2018 and is 65 years old.  He's not a GM any more and there is no indication he wants to be one again.  So now what?  Everybody points to the Parcells hiring as the blue print for future success, but that was an unusual situation. There is no Parcells out there.  Besides, the Parcells hire was not all sunshine and glory.  He quit on the franchise after 3 years and 1 - count them - 1 playoff appearance. He left the team a mess in terms of talent ( he overpaid old vets and drafted poorly) and then his insistence on remaining with the team after "retiring" as a coach contributed to Belichick leaving for New England.  Belichick wanted full control and to be away from Parcells' shadow.  

So absent Newsome, what is your plan?  

I agree Douglas and Saleh get another season.  I also think the team needs to continue to improve for both to remain.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  So how about we let the offseason and 2022 season play out before writing hundreds of posts about how JD stinks and Saleh stinks - just so you can lead the "I told you so" parade.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

The Jets and Giants are both uninteresting teams that aren't competitive.   You can be living in a leaper colony and have hope.  You can be living in Monoca and be in despair.  State of mind doesn't change the condition on the ground.  

They have a loaded draft next year just like we do.   Not sure why Giant fans are in despair and Jets fans have hope.  Both HC's seem like they are terrible.  Saleh is likely to be around longer which actually could be a negative?  Gettleman getting fired could be a positive?  

Judge had the Giants looking better down the stretch last year than Saleh has had the Jets looking down the stretch this year and it meant nothing toward the team development.  It just postponed the enivitable.  

This thread points out one thing.  Misery loves company and Jets fans are still jealous of the Giants for some reason, I can't figure out.  

Can only speak for myself but my jealousy of the Giants is simply 4 superbowl victories vs 1 in my lifetime. I have no issue admitting I am jealous of that success no matter how petty that makes me look.

My hatred/wanting to see the Giants fail is a product of living in the metro area and always having to be considered second class or looking up to being like the Giants. I get the whole storied franchise. Wellington Mara etc. but short of those superbowl seasons, they have had many long term stretches of being as incompetent a franchise as us. They get a break though because they are a 'class' organization. 

This is no different with Yankees/Mets, Knicks/Nets but it at least gives some insight as to where the mindset comes from.

It might not be right and it might not be pretty  but it is what it is.

21 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Can only speak for myself but my jealousy of the Giants is simply 4 superbowl victories vs 1 in my lifetime. I have no issue admitting I am jealous of that success no matter how petty that makes me look.

My hatred/wanting to see the Giants fail is a product of living in the metro area and always having to be considered second class or looking up to being like the Giants. I get the whole storied franchise. Wellington Mara etc. but short of those superbowl seasons, they have had many long term stretches of being as incompetent a franchise as us. They get a break though because they are a 'class' organization. 

This is no different with Yankees/Mets, Knicks/Nets but it at least gives some insight as to where the mindset comes from.

It might not be right and it might not be pretty  but it is what it is.

The first football game I ever went to was a Giants game in Yankee Stadium in 1965.  I had a neighbor who worked for CBS and they covered the Giants.  The Giants at the time weren't very good the era of good Giants football was pretty much over.   I was a young teenager and the Jets had signed Namath.  I started watching them on tv and went to games at Shea.  The Jets were simply better, more exciting and Namath was an icon.   In a word I became a Jets fan because the Jets were simply better and more exciting to watch.  I could have just as easily become a Giants fan if they were as exciting and as good of a story.  

I've always rooted for the Jets as a Jets fan but I still don't hate the Giants.  That was my first game and in a way hooked me on the game.  

As a kid I was a hard core Mets fan and hated the Yankees.  I moved to Boston after college and lived a couple of blocks from Fenway.   There was no interleague play.  Of course I went to the games with my Boston friends and immediately rooted for the Yankees every time they came to Fenway.  I loved going to games at Fenway and rooting for the Yankees even though I was a dyed in the wool Mets fan and Tom Seaver is still the greatest of all those great NY athletes as far as I'm concerned.  Bigger than Namath, Clyde all of them.  When Seaver died it hit my like a ton of bricks.  My youth was gone.  He embodied everything that was great in NY sports in an era where we had championships in Baseball, Football and Basketball.  

At the end of the day I'm a NYer.  I hate that both the Jets and Giants play in the same stadium in NJ.  I still would root for the Giants over any AFC team in the SB who aren't wearing Jets Green whatever that is.  It's fun when we have two good teams in NY.  I would love to see a Jets Giants SB in my lifetime.  

The reality is both of these teams are going to lose a generation of fans if they don't turn the corner.  When you stink for a very long time and aren't a lovable expansion team it's tough to hang onto the fans.  They die off, they retire and move, they play golf on Sunday...  The Giants are part of the fabric of New York so are the Jets.  They aren't really rivals which in a way is to bad.  

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

The first football game I ever went to was a Giants game in Yankee Stadium in 1965.  I had a neighbor who worked for CBS and they covered the Giants.  The Giants at the time weren't very good the era of good Giants football was pretty much over.   I was a young teenager and the Jets had signed Namath.  I started watching them on tv and went to games at Shea.  The Jets were simply better, more exciting and Namath was an icon.   In a word I became a Jets fan because the Jets were simply better and more exciting to watch.  I could have just as easily become a Giants fan if they were as exciting and as good of a story.  

I've always rooted for the Jets as a Jets fan but I still don't hate the Giants.  That was my first game and in a way hooked me on the game.  

As a kid I was a hard core Mets fan and hated the Yankees.  I moved to Boston after college and lived a couple of blocks from Fenway.   There was no interleague play.  Of course I went to the games with my Boston friends and immediately rooted for the Yankees every time they came to Fenway.  I loved going to games at Fenway and rooting for the Yankees even though I was a dyed in the wool Mets fan and Tom Seaver is still the greatest of all those great NY athletes as far as I'm concerned.  Bigger than Namath, Clyde all of them.  When Seaver died it hit my like a ton of bricks.  My youth was gone.  He embodied everything that was great in NY sports in an era where we had championships in Baseball, Football and Basketball.  

At the end of the day I'm a NYer.  I hate that both the Jets and Giants play in the same stadium in NJ.  I still would root for the Giants over any AFC team in the SB who aren't wearing Jets Green whatever that is.  It's fun when we have two good teams in NY.  I would love to see a Jets Giants SB in my lifetime.  

The reality is both of these teams are going to lose a generation of fans if they don't turn the corner.  When you stink for a very long time and aren't a lovable expansion team it's tough to hang onto the fans.  They die off, they retire and move, they play golf on Sunday...  The Giants are part of the fabric of New York so are the Jets.  They aren't really rivals which in a way is to bad.  

I was hard core mets as well. Remember as if it was yesterday tom seaver on kiners corner the day they won the pennant. Use to throw a rubber ball against a strike zone on the back of the house trying to be #41.

• Upvote 1