Calvin Ridley looking for a “fresh start”

Rhg1084

54 minutes ago, Team archer said:

Trading a high pick for a WR who can’t really be trusted is something we can’t add to our plate. Imagine giving up a 2nd rounder and he 
goes on another hiatus. We can’t really afford to gamble on this. I would love Ridley but can’t take the risk

We’re 4-12… I feel like we’re actually in a prime position to gamble on something like this

21 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Yep - and they each lasted only a year or two - is that worth the drama, headache, and QB issues it brings? Are we willing the trade picks for a 2 year rental?

First of all Ridley has never had any issues of being a “diva” or anything like that. He stepped away this year for mental health reasons. So who knows really what on behind close doors. But for you to compare him to Antonio Brown is a bit unfair.

Bottom line is Douglas (or anyone looking to acquire Ridley) will have to determine his current mental status and if he’s willing to get back on the field. He’s performed at a high level his whole career going back to Alabama. Need to weigh the risk vs reward. The pros is he’s a top WR in this league at only 27 years old and would be a major addition to Zach and the receiving corps. The con could be he walks away from football again and we waste a (maybe) 2nd rd pick trading for him. 

I remember when Ricky Williams stepped away from the game he came back and was as good as ever. Same with Gronk 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Why trade picks for a head case, non-#1 receiver like Ridley when you could sign a comparable wideout like Michael Gallup in FA?

Sorry buddy but I’m gonna light you up. 

I didn’t realize how many here on JN are still living in the fcking 1950s… a head case? What kind of ignorant dumb sh*t is that. A guy with torn ACL is just darn tootin’ better option than I guy self identified as needing help with his mental health? You’re too old in 2022 to write that remark off as anything less than gross and shameful. It speaks volumes (you and others) that you harbor some weak ass archaic understanding of the psychological make up of human beings. 

check yourself hard on this one. Don’t write it off as me being overly sensitive or you’re being misunderstood. Own it. That’s the least you can do. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

First of all Ridley has never had any issues of being a “diva” or anything like that. He stepped away this year for mental health reasons. So who knows really what on behind close doors. But for you to compare him to Antonio Brown is a bit unfair.

Bottom line is Douglas (or anyone looking to acquire Ridley) will have to determine his current mental status and if he’s willing to get back on the field. He’s performed at a high level his whole career going back to Alabama. Need to weigh the risk vs reward. The pros is he’s a top WR in this league at only 27 years old and would be a major addition to Zach and the receiving corps. The con could be he walks away from football again and we waste a (maybe) 2nd rd pick trading for him. 

I remember when Ricky Williams stepped away from the game he came back and was as good as ever. Same with Gronk 

Ricky Williams left the NFL because he couldn't give up the weed. He came back for a bit and now he runs a canibus business. Gronk retired because his body was in pain and playing for BB was brutal and Bill wouldn't ease up on the practice. He only came back to play with Tom under a different manager; as far as I know Ridley wouldn't be coming here to play with a close friend and GOAT Brady for a team playing for the SB. That is a bit unfair too.

There is one of two issues, he really has mental issues - if so, coming to a team where the media and the fans (mostly media) are constantly making up stories about players issues - calling them fat and lazy - saying that I know and have heard'. If this kid is really struggling do you think NY is the best place for him?

The other option is that there is a real problem other than mental that is going on. If that is the case, he isn't worth it. Even if it is a real mental health issue, the conspiracy peddlers will never leave him alone or stop questioning him about his mental status.

Imagine if such a player was on the field during the 4-2 QB sneak. Do you think the media wouldn't be asking 'did you choose to run the ball, because you didn't trust Ridley's ability to withstand criticism if he didn't get it?' If they did ask, how is a kid who is fighting issues going to handle that?

JN Neanderthals aside, we don’t know what the issue is, and he’s at the age of onset for some serious stuff. I wouldn’t assume a fresh start would “fix it”. There’s more risk than maybe it’s worth if he winds up needing to step away permanently 

15 hours ago, BurntDice said:

3. He has a phobia of flying. Like he really really doesn’t like flying. This is a huge thing during the season because of away games. 

Guess who else did? The great John Madden

That said, if Ridley doesn't like the Falcons, he probably won't like the Jets.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I didn’t realize how many here on JN are still living in the fcking 1950s… a head case? What kind of ignorant dumb sh*t is that. A guy with torn ACL is just darn tootin’ better option than I guy self identified as needing help with his mental health? You’re too old in 2022 to write that remark off as anything less than gross and shameful. It speaks volumes (you and others) that you harbor some weak ass archaic understanding of the psychological make up of human beings. 

check yourself hard on this one. Don’t write it off as me being overly sensitive or you’re being misunderstood. Own it. That’s the least you can do. 

Everyone has mental health. If Ridley is struggling to manage himself and football together it’s something that has to be heavily considered when potentially trading for him. This isn’t cold hearted. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets and NY/NJ are not the right place for Ridley, and JD cannot afford to spend a premium draft pick to take a chance on him.  He needs all the certain impact he can get for 2022. 

I'm curious if Ridley's buddy Julio Jones talks with AJ Brown on mental health cause I think Elijah Moore could help Ridley just like he did with Brown. The Jets historically have not been shy in giving second chances, or third/forth chances with Marshall

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Everyone has mental health. If Ridley is struggling to manage himself and football together it’s something that has to be heavily considered when potentially trading for him. This isn’t cold hearted. 

Don’t even. What I said has nothing to do with roster liability.  if you read two posts later, I addressed that. My comments were about sh*ty takes on the subject matter. Warranted and made. 

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You're right, it definitely has to be considered as you said but what Paradis is getting at is that it's crazy to compare a top 15 WR with no historic issues outside of this occurrence vs Gallup who is a #3 WR with a torn ACL.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You're right, it definitely has to be considered as you said but what Paradis is getting at is that it's crazy to compare a top 15 WR with no historic issues outside of this occurrence vs Gallup who is a #3 WR with a torn ACL.

This is a pretty big issue. Leaving your job indefinitely is a massive decision. Everyone has to manage their mental health.  Gallup rehabs and he’s back. 

5 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

You fellas had better watch out or his feelings are gonna punch your feelings right in Calvin Ridley's vagina.

Yawn. You come and go rather periodically on here, but (un)surprisingly  every time you do post, it’s O’Doyle rules. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Yeah, I’ll own it, he sounds like a headcase.

Even if this really is some mental health issue, there are millions who deal with the same and they don’t walk away from work for months at a time while still collecting millions of dollars.

He’s not some upper tier #1 wideout and there’s no way in hell I give up a high draft pick for a guy who could decide to walk away again at any given moment. Maybe even permanently.

Didn’t realize that Gallup tore his ACL. In that case, there are still multiple other FA WR’s I’d rather sign over trading a high pick for Ridley. Hell, I’d rather trade a premium pick and take on Amari Cooper’s salary if I’m going the trade route for a WR. If Chicago opts to slap the franchise tag on Allen Robinson again, I’d rather make a move for him as well.

Or, if we were really smart, we’d just draft another WR with one of the 4 Top 40 picks we’re set to have.

He looks like he has good hands. He catches the ball with his hands out before it can bounce off his torso, unlike so many receivers seem to do these days, and good elusiveness to get open and get extra yards. Yeah, maybe he shies away from big hits, but he's not built like a tank, so that's smart. 

On the other hand, neck-up issues are as impactful as a chronic physical ailment - so I say no, unless it's really cheap (a third.) Repeat the old song about the best ability being availability. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

And I echoed that. I said it shouldn’t be a given that a change scenario is going to fix clinical depression, or a variety of other mood disorders. Tread lightly - he may be away form football for good if not sporadically moving forward…  you quoted me calling out someone labeling him as headcase. That’s incredibly ignorant and reflects a mentality I can’t tolerate. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

I agree with everything you've said here.

I wish the dude the best, and he's a damn good player. He's gotta make the best decision for himself. If we can help him play his best, I'd be happy to have him. 

I do not know the specific nature of his struggles so this is entirely speculative - but I genuinely wonder if NY, especially the NY media, might not be the best fit a guy in his situation. 

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I agree with everything you've said here.

I wish the dude the best, and he's a damn good player. He's gotta make the best decision for himself. If we can help him play his best, I'd be happy to have him. 

I do not know the specific nature of his struggles so this is entirely speculative - but I genuinely wonder if NY, especially the NY media, might not be the best fit a guy in his situation. 

Thanks, I appreciate you sharing. I don’t mean to be some virtue signaling prick, but when somebody steps away to deal with their mental health - Which is obviously a significant challenge Given he could be angling for a new contract right now, and this is what grown men have to say about that? He’s a head case? That’s where we’re at in 2022… Lord…

let’s assume for a moment that he does have some kind of significant clinical personality or mood disorder that’s ailing him… If he doesn’t address it now in his 20s, you’re looking at addiction, substance abuse, reckless behavior, a whole slew of awful coping strategies… And that’s how you wind up like Chris Henry or Brandon Marshall before he got help. Add in the blows to the head these guys take, and it’s a powder keg for self-destruction.

very disappointing posts in this thread

• Upvote 3

First off we aren’t giving up serious Draft capital on a 27 year old receiver who’s taken a year off for mental health issues. MCCoffee is no longer the GM of the Jets. Trader Joe May do it for a 3rd, he isn’t giving up his well collected draft capital on a guy who may quit at any moment. It’s a potential a career ending trade if he gave up high picks and it goes badly.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

First off we aren’t giving up serious Draft capital on a 27 year old receiver who’s taken a year off for mental health issues. MCCoffee is no longer the GM of the Jets. Trader Joe May do it for a 3rd, he isn’t giving up his well collected draft capital on a guy who may quit at any moment. It’s a potential a career ending trade if he gave up high picks and it goes badly.

i think one of the 4th rounders we have sounds right.

the OP suggesting we trade the seattle first for him is LOL, i mean what would his value be if he actually did play and put up good numbers last year?

• Upvote 2