Calvin Ridley looking for a “fresh start”

Rhg1084

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Thanks, I appreciate you sharing. I don’t mean to be some virtue signaling prick, but when somebody steps away to deal with their mental health - Which is obviously a significant challenge Given he could be angling for a new contract right now, and this is what grown men have to say about that? He’s a head case? That’s where we’re at in 2022… Lord…

let’s assume for a moment that he does have some kind of significant clinical personality or mood disorder that’s ailing him… If he doesn’t address it now in his 20s, you’re looking at addiction, substance abuse, reckless behavior, a whole slew of awful coping strategies… And that’s how you wind up like Chris Henry or Brandon Marshall before he got help. Add in the blows to the head these guys take, and it’s a powder keg for self-destruction.

very disappointing posts in this thread

Yes. And his potential new team has it in their best interest to ask how he went about getting himself better. Walking away from your job is a massive decision. Coming back is also a massive decision and it’s not unusual for a team to do their proper due diligence.

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Seattle doesn't have a 1st this year...about the only suckers falling for that.

You put Ridley on this team, the combo of Ridley, Moore, Crowder, Cole, and Berrios,  that is one of the better starting 5 in the league. We could be set for the next 3 years at WR is we stay relatively  healthy. I mean why wait and hope. We have about 2 or 3 years before we have to start to make salary cap cuts. 

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You put Ridley on this team, the combo of Ridley, Moore, Crowder, Cole, and Berrios,  that is one of the better starting 5 in the league. We could be set for the next 3 years at WR is we stay relatively  healthy. I mean why wait and hope. We have about 2 or 3 years before we have to start to make salary cap cuts. 

Crowder, Cole and Berrios are not under contract.  I think 1 gets signed.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This would be a good move. If the Saleh Jets have shown us anything, it’s that they excel at getting the best out of players who are a little high maintenance and whom exhibit a dubious commitment to their teams, if not the sport itself. 

Overboard. The only two they qualify are Mims and Becton and they’d flunk out of the league in any situation. It just so happens they were drafted back to back.

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

Crowder, Cole and Berrios are not under contract.  I think 1 gets signed.  

The dark horse is Crowder. Berrios deal is in the works if we are to believe the reports and Cole will resign for cheap if we want to keep him. Signing Cole for another year or 2 would be a good idea since he has familiarity  with Wilson. I would bet we can sign Scantling or Lazard from GB to replace Crowder's  production. GB has like 3 or 4 UFA WR's and one, maybe 2 shake loose. Those 2 also would not command top WR money. 

3 hours ago, hawk said:

Or, you could do everything in your power to sign Allen Robinson, who I believe was ready to come NY last year and he is only a year older but won't cost draft capital.  JMO

I've always loved Robinson as a Penn State and wanted the Jets to draft him, but he is coming off a horrible year plagued by injuries and when he played he has been a zero. Darnell Mooney has looked much better. There could be some Kenny Golloday type risk with a player like Robinson who may be on the downside of his career. NFL players get old fast. 

With that said, he is only 1 year older than Ridley and would likely come at a discount due to the injuries/declining play this year. 

22 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I’m going to say, how about, no.  

Not only does he have red flags about if he wants to play Football but he wasn’t even remotely the same player without Julio Jones drawing attention. 

Might be going a bit far.  Jones missed the final 4 last season and Ridley had 31/469/2.  Maybe he just doesn't like Arthur Smith.  His pace wasn't that bad.for 2021.  Something like 100/900/6 over 16, but his yards per target was only 5.4,  He might have felt he was getting misused and beaten up.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Might be going a bit far.  Jones missed the final 4 last season and Ridley had 31/469/2.  Maybe he just doesn't like Arthur Smith.  His pace wasn't that bad. something like 100/900/6 over 16, but his yards per target was only 5.4,  He might have felt he was getting misused and beaten up.  

Yeah, Ridley is still great and he often showed that greatness in games where Julio was out last year. There was definitely something off about this year. Maybe the system, coaching or maybe he is just a serious head case that will Antonio Brown-himself off the team at some point. 

If the Jets knew he was 100pct committed to the game, he would be a no brainer target. But those question marks are far too great. Given his age and mental health issues I really think the Falcons would end up trading him for less than a 2nd. NFL teams don't part ways with 2nd round picks for huge question marks. Even if the upside is high. 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Might be going a bit far.  Jones missed the final 4 last season and Ridley had 31/469/2.  Maybe he just doesn't like Arthur Smith.  His pace wasn't that bad.for 2021.  Something like 100/900/6 over 16, but his yards per target was only 5.4,  He might have felt he was getting misused and beaten up.  

Fair enough but it wasnt just his ypt, it was also his worst season in catch percentage and his worst yards per game since his rookie season.  Just things you wouldnt think would take place becoming the teams #1. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Isn't Davis under contract for next year too?

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Fair enough but it wasnt just his ypt, it was also his worst season in catch percentage and his worst yards per game since his rookie season.  Just things you wouldnt think would take place becoming the teams #1. 

Yes, but there was a change of system.  To the system that make Corey Davis a star!

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Overboard. The only two they qualify are Mims and Becton and they’d flunk out of the league in any situation. It just so happens they were drafted back to back.

Counterpoint: the Jets played hard in roughly three games this season and one of those games was coached by Ron Middleton.

• Haha 1

With the likely signing of berrios,, crowder is not coming back.  We will need another ear to  start opposite Davis to go along woth Moore primarily at the a lot and berries doing a little of everything.

While Ridley would make our we Corps all of a sudden one of the best in the league(Douglas needs to consider this) we may still be scarred from the Levon bell saga  in terms of a guy out of football for a year.  Have to wonder if he’s really in it 

I think everyone can agree, no one wants to see anyone go through anything negative. But I also think it’s hard for a lot of people to get behind the mental health stands of the rich and famous when we all go to work everyday and make substantially less and likely deal with a lot worse.Whether it’s Calvin Ridley or Simone biles, I wish you well, but most people can’t do what you do.

I work in a school system, the pandemic forced me to be my schools contact tracer. For two years, everyday I have to call families and tell them they are a close contact or there is a positive case within the school. I’ve been threatened by parents that they will bring me down, I’ve had parents tell me that one day when my child is older, I’ll get what I deserve, I’ve been screamed at, cursed out, you name it. Do you think I want to go through that everyday for the terrible pay? No, but I do it because that’s life and it ain’t easy, and unlike Calvin Ridley and Simone biles and other athletes, I can’t just walk away, I have to feed my family. So I take the abuse everyday. Geez, 18 year olds were storming the beaches of Normandy, they were heroes, now we label people who quit as heroes.

That being said, I’d trade for him, 3rd or 4th rounder!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I've always loved Robinson as a Penn State and wanted the Jets to draft him, but he is coming off a horrible year plagued by injuries and when he played he has been a zero. Darnell Mooney has looked much better. There could be some Kenny Golloday type risk with a player like Robinson who may be on the downside of his career. NFL players get old fast. 

With that said, he is only 1 year older than Ridley and would likely come at a discount due to the injuries/declining play this year. 

He is also a player on the Franchise tag, and although I do not agree with it, would you play hurt with no future guarantee?  He also did not want to be there.  He also has not had much of a supporting cast, like a QB (not saying we do).

JMO

That being said, it may just be fan fare that I want Robinson in NY and blinded by that as well.

2 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

This is significantly less stupid than the actual idea, which is something to the effect of it's not his fault he can't be trusted to show up so the world owes him money or else Paradis is gonna light you up because you don't know anything about mental health.

Don’t want to be on the business end of a post from a man in purple crocs.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:34 PM, Paradis said:

Sorry buddy but I’m gonna light you up. 

I didn’t realize how many here on JN are still living in the fcking 1950s… a head case? What kind of ignorant dumb sh*t is that. A guy with torn ACL is just darn tootin’ better option than I guy self identified as needing help with his mental health? You’re too old in 2022 to write that remark off as anything less than gross and shameful. It speaks volumes (you and others) that you harbor some weak ass archaic understanding of the psychological make up of human beings. 

check yourself hard on this one. Don’t write it off as me being overly sensitive or you’re being misunderstood. Own it. That’s the least you can do. 

^^Whoa, head case alert!

18 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

This is significantly less stupid than the actual idea, which is something to the effect of it's not his fault he can't be trusted to show up so the world owes him money or else Paradis is gonna light you up because you don't know anything about mental health.

that is such an obtuse attempt to paint a picture of me being some crusader. If he has a clinical disorder, then calling him a headcase is a fck off thing to say. It had nothing to do with whether trading for him was a good move or not.