Calvin Ridley looking for a “fresh start”

Rhg1084

19 hours ago, tfine said:

I was against this move, but I thought about what Stefon Diggs did for JA. I would happily trade a high 2 for him

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

^this.  And the Bills were questioned by many for the Diggs trade as some ppl in the media thought it to be too risky to give up a 2020 1st, 5th, 6th and 2021 4th (which Diggs production easily reached).  

That was a big trade.

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We need to look at the mistake the Bills made in trading for Diggs and not make the same mistake.  The Bills should have kept their picks and selected Justin Jefferson in the draft.

Joe D is too smart to fall for this.  We will keep our picks and take Garrett Wilson/Traylon Burkes at 10.

They just won the afc East again and blew the doors off the patriots. I wouldn’t call their roster building a mistake 

I’d rather we go get the sure thing, then hope we can draft a sure thing. Zach’s development depends on it

We need to look at the mistake the Bills made in trading for Diggs and not make the same mistake.  The Bills should have kept their picks and selected Justin Jefferson in the draft.
Joe D is too smart to fall for this.  We will keep our picks and take Garrett Wilson/Traylon Burkes at 10.

Mistake?? LOL I would argue that it was one the best trades in the Bills history. Allen went from unknown to Franchise QB within a year. He is someone Defenses have to account for…which gives other receivers on the Bills favorable matchups, which makes them better.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

^this.  And the Bills were questioned by many for the Diggs trade as some ppl in the media thought it to be too risky to give up a 2020 1st, 5th, 6th and 2021 4th (which Diggs production easily reached).  

That was a big trade.

Diggs was more valuable since he was already signed. It made his cap hits incredibly team friendly in a trade (think OBJ trade as well)

Ridley should go for less since you will have to pay out the signing bonus as well. I'd do either of these:

1) Trade a 2nd + Mims

2) Trade Down from 4 to 8 so they can get a QB (mid 2nd round value) + Mims

22 minutes ago, tfine said:

Mistake?? LOL I would argue that it was one the best trades in the Bills history. Allen went from unknown to Franchise QB within a year. He is someone Defenses have to account for…which gives other receivers on the Bills favorable matchups, which makes them better.

Justin Jefferson is younger, better and cheaper then Stefon Diggs.  And they wouldnt have needed to trade picks to get him.  It was a bad trade in hindsight.  Thats not debatable.  No one in there right mind would take diggs over jefferson.

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The problem is rookie WRs take time to develop. Would be happy to pick one in the second or third rounds in addition to Ridley. If not Ridley, then #10 pick for sure.

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yea the Bills franchise was really set back years by that Diggs mistake. Some question whether they'll ever recover.

• Upvote 1

I wrote this on Reddit, so I'll just copy and paste:

I'd love to add him, but am worried about how he stepped away. I don't mind crazy guys, but I like them to still be all in on football, if I'm trading for them.

Schematically, he's worth a first Rd pick, even with the incoming extension. He runs great routes, already proven, and he provides a deep threat on the outside, while retaining elite intermediate ability.

Saying all that, I'm not going higher than a 3rd Rd pick. I know it's low-ball, and most people here would go higher. My concerns:

1. Stepping away from football worries me. He had a chance to be THE star this year, so I'm worried about long term commitment. The last time I remember someone having to step away was Telvin Smith from the Jags and that ended up going downhill pretty fast.

2. The moment the trade happens, he needs an extension. Otherwise he's going to have us by the balls like Jamal in Seattle. Thus his extension has to be signed before he plays, therefore limiting our opportunity to actually see him perform here, and after his time off.

3. We have two high second round picks, which should be cost controlled, but also be able to make good impact. There isn't anyone available that is going to be better than Ridley this year, but the cost aspect had to factor in.

For example, would you take Dotson/Schultz (Dallas TE, with the money owed Ridley this year) or Ridley?

I think for this team I'd rather have 2nd Rd WR + whatever we can get for around 11 million.

I'd be much more on board if Ridley had two years instead of one left. As much as I love shiny pieces, I'm not offering more than the 3rd. Someone else will offer more for sure.

• Sympathy 1