As a Saleh doubter, this clip from today makes me hopeful

Matt39

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Big Bob here is gonna learn the harsh reality that he’s going to have to get through to a bunch of guys who don’t love football and only play football for the paycheck. Homeboy thinks he can have a roster with 53 Braxton Berrioses and win games. **** outta here, Bob. 

There was an excellent case study that played out right in front of our eyes this season: John Franklin Myers. When dude was on his one year “show me” deal, he played with his hair on fire, looked amazing, got paid, then entered witness protection and was never heard from again. Bob, if he lasts a few years, is eventually going to have to figure out how to get through to both versions of JFM, because he’s not coaching at Snow Valley CC. What a ******* clown. 

World War Z was a terrible movie, but a pretty fun book. 

Anyway, one of the best parts was how Israel had this '10th man' rule in their intelligence leadership. If 9 guys agreed on something, it was the duty of the 10th to play the devil's advocate and ensure there is no unanimity/group think. 

I read posts like the above, and think about that rule.

Although I think you're dead-on about JFM. Mo Wilk 2.0.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Big Bob here is gonna learn the harsh reality that he’s going to have to get through to a bunch of guys who don’t love football and only play football for the paycheck. Homeboy thinks he can have a roster with 53 Braxton Berrioses and win games. **** outta here, Bob. 

There was an excellent case study that played out right in front of our eyes this season: John Franklin Myers. When dude was on his one year “show me” deal, he played with his hair on fire, looked amazing, got paid, then entered witness protection and was never heard from again. Bob, if he lasts a few years, is eventually going to have to figure out how to get through to both versions of JFM, because he’s not coaching at Snow Valley CC. What a ******* clown. 

Wasn’t it Joey and not Bobby that paid JFM, Tommy?

12 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

It's so sad that pick was wasted. If you can get your LT figured out long term (just like getting a long term QB solved), you're just so far ahead as a team and can worry about the other pieces.

Now we have to worry about finding a long term solution at LT. Thank goodness AVT is a total stud.

Becton was drafted at 11 overall, browns picked Wills at 10.  JD had a deal in place to trade up with Jax at 9 but when there were still 2 left tackles on the board he backed out but it’s known JD preferred Wills but was ok with Becton. 

Time will tell. I mean outside of Zach there was no one I was more excited to watch this year than Mekhi.  Really hoping he matures, but am more skeptical than ever. Holding out hope- kid could be the next Trent Williams if he went All In.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I can believe this is about Mims. He never looked happy from the moment he was drafted.

Becton, on the other hand, was in tears when we drafted him. I'm kinda surprised that we're now discussing the possibility that he may not be 100% committed to football, as that doesn't jive with what we saw on draft night. I'm still hoping he has a turnaround, but I'm not as optimistic as I once was. I guess we'll see.

true Mims on the draft call was like, meh, whatever.... 

however last year he seemed able to play when on the field. not sure what happened to put him in flat out can't play at all mode, but its sad. and then you got a guy like Jeff Smith out there running shallow routes into coverage and dropping stuff.. 

fact is we need a lot more talent at WR. 

Get Zack a #1 guy in FA or Draft and add another WR where you don't get the #1 type WR. 

Im on record as very much disliking the Corey Davis signing and putting him in the 3rd or 4th option on offense is where he's best suited.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, you can debate how good the competition was or whether or not it was worth winning the game but JFM was the star of the game against the Texans.

Also, can debate whether or not it makes sense for a scheme that’s largely based around getting front four pressure but fans are probably going to need to adjust to the JFM role being goofy. Arik Armstead is that same guy in the SF defense who plays edge and kicks inside so they can get another pass rusher on the field.

Like JFM, Armstead is also 290. He has a chance this weekend to have his second career season (out of seven) with over 3.5 sacks - currently sitting at 3.5. His career year was ten sacks but that’s been it. Maybe the 49ers try to get out of the deal, but he got 5/$85M for that skill set.

As we kind of went back on before too, I think it’s important to get the culture in place and then make the guys who are there for the paycheck fit in. I’m sure Becton not being back is frustrating - the flip side is they don’t seem to really miss him on the field. Left tackle pass protection and overall run game with a random assortment of constantly shuffling running backs have been the highlights of the offense this year. Becton coming back was probably more important for him than for the Jets this year.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Stark said:

true Mims on the draft call was like, meh, whatever.... 

however last year he seemed able to play when on the field. not sure what happened to put him in flat out can't play at all mode, but its sad. and then you got a guy like Jeff Smith out there running shallow routes into coverage and dropping stuff.. 

fact is we need a lot more talent at WR. 

Get Zack a #1 guy in FA or Draft and add another WR where you don't get the #1 type WR. 

Im on record as very much disliking the Corey Davis signing and putting him in the 3rd or 4th option on offense is where he's best suited.

I think Mims' drop in production may be due to him not wanting/able to learn the new system, and in turn the coaches just saying "hey, you're not playing then", so he's not trusted and being relied upon like he was last year. That, in turn, could've contributed to Mims' disinterest and is why the rare times he's on the field, he looks like absolute dog sh*t.

I agree we need a lot of help at WR. A position group that looked like a strength for us in training camp now needs a major re-haul. Moore and Berrios are the only guys really worth keeping, imo.

I've been a fan of Crowder here, but he's had a down year, and I'm skeptical of whether we'd want him back/he'd want back. Plus, he's more of a slot guy and I think both Moore and Berriors are now ready to take over that role.

I'm not sure if it's possible to offload Davis with minimal cap hit, but I would if I could. Unfortunately, we might have to keep him, but like you, I'd have him as no better than the 4th option.

Keelan Cole is gone.

Next year, my WR group would look something like:

1. Marquee FA signing

2. Moore

3. Berrios

4. Davis (unless we can get rid of him, because I hate him I hate him I hate him)

5. 2nd FA signing

6. Draft pick

And Jeff Smith can stay on the practice squad for another year, I guess, since he at least knows the system.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I guess also the bigger thing that I’ve been circling in my head as a part of the back and forth that just clicked is money. Ultimately you want these guys extended and staying part of the team. Continuity is good for Saleh and good for Douglas.

Genuinely asking - in a year or two, if Becton gets his rear end dragged to earning a big contract by the coaching staff - do you feel remotely good at all giving him whatever $15-$20M+ a year for five years he’s going to need to get extended? Douglas has been super nitty about guaranteed money and contract length and we see the deals Maccagnan gave out blew up in the team’s face.

One of the big edges that good franchises have is not paying guys to not play for them. Part of that is using free agency carefully which leads to compensatory picks. But I have to believe having guys who still want to play football as multimillionaires is a factor in that too. Don’t think it needs to be all 53 but you want to give those second contracts to guys who are going to play out those second contracts. It’s why Douglas gives guys those three year deals where they’ll hit free agency again before 30 so they’re motivated to play well on the deal.

22 hours ago, CSNY said:

65 Legitimate question. Why do you or any number of fans think Fant isn’t a long term solution as he has played a excellent LT Even if he is pushing 30 he has relatively low miles on his body since he hasn’t played all that much football during his career as he’s only been a starter the past two years  I think he can only get better and be a perennial pro bowler Great signing by JD 

Fant has been awesome. I'm speaking of "long-term" as 8-10 years. I don't think Fant has that left. 

BUT, if he can go for some years, and we don't have to worry about a new LT, that is an awesome problem solved, and we can devote efforts and resources elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Fant has been awesome. I'm speaking of "long-term" as 8-10 years. I don't think Fant has that left. 

BUT, if he can go for some years, and we don't have to worry about a new LT, that is an awesome problem solved, and we can devote efforts and resources elsewhere.

Got it. I was thinking more along the lines of 5 years at a minimum which I think he has left. 

6 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Can't it be both... Mims cut, or traded for a case of Gatorade (preferably orange or red). Becton traded to the highest bidder who thinks they can motivate him. Then the Jets draft two o-line players in the first two rounds.  

I bet JD will be able to get more than a case of red Gatorade, based on what he did with Dan Brown