Betty's Updated 2022 Offseason

BettyBoop

1 minute ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Another RB to compliment Carter?  I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority about this, but I like the tandem of Carter/Coleman.

Coleman is getting old particularly for a RB. He'll be 29 when the season starts. If they can draft another explosive guy after the second round it wouldn't be a bad move at all. RBs fall off a cliff when they hit 30.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

I'd throw out James Daniels as an OL target. Young, zone experience, experience at multiple positions. He's a potential fill in RG who could replace McGovern.

Depth at WR is a problem but I could see them letting that run into the draft if they re-sign Berrios.

Reddick I don't think has the coverage skill set they're looking for at linebacker.

Agree I don't expect Douglas to overspend at TE or S but both are big needs. Njoku maybe as a tight end. I could see Douglas bringing back Joyner. Definitely think TE can be addressed pretty seriously in the draft - safety is harder to get a read on.

I think come draft day Ojabo is the third edge, not Karlaftis. I also think Karlaftis is a square peg round hole in this scheme unless they want to groom him to play the JFM role and kick JFM inside eventually. I'd lean they want a guy who can rotate in behind Lawson, play DE across from him with JFM kicking in on passing downs, and take over after Lawson's contract expires. Plus Lawson has health questions. So I lean smaller edge. If they do want to go with a bigger guy Travon Walker and DeMarvin Leal are names to watch out for.

I don't think it fits with this draft class and heads would explode but Douglas values the front, Saleh values the front, Fatukasi is one of not many starters who's a free agent, and San Francisco drafted DT's like crazy. It's the need none of us want to acknowledge. I hope they don't do it but aside from that and this draft class it ticks every other box as something they'd do. Think we all should brace ourselves.

Would love the trade down if it's possible and do think it's on the table with one of the picks although it'll be a hard draft to trade down in. Don't think Ekwonu will be available. Also don't think they take a day one backup offensive lineman. I think a backup swing tackle day two makes more sense. I think a wide receiver (Treylon Burks, Jameson Williams if he falls, Garrett Wilson if he tests better than I expect) or a linebacker (Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd) could play a bigger day one role while also fitting a longer term need.

Largely agree with the second round/third round idea. Chad Muma is an interesting LB if they wait till the third. Jalen Pitre at safety.

Don't think Haskins or Hall really fit the scheme. Would like double dip at TE and/or edge in this class. I think day three if they add an iOL in FA you see them add a developmental center or guard. Dylan Parham as an athletic guy seems like a really interesting zone fit.

If they take Hamilton I think it's almost certainly to play at safety. You can play around with safeties moving to linebacker in the fifth, sixth round - that's not something I think you goof off with in the top ten. If they want a linebacker early - I still think they'd rather address it later given they're okay sacrificing size for speed- someone like Dean is excellent. Plus the reason Sherwood and Nasirildeen were appealing for the move is because they fell because they were slow for safeties. Was just an attempt to make a play on cheap linebackers - the 49ers didn't invest much in their LB crew besides Warner.

Lots of good thoughts here. I also want a big RB to compliment Carter. A mid-rounder would be fine.

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Coleman is getting old particularly for a RB. He'll be 29 when the season starts. If they can draft another explosive guy after the second round it wouldn't be a bad move at all. RBs fall off a cliff when they hit 30.

I didn't realize he was that old...thanks for the update.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Agreed, but WR in the 2nd?  Lemme stop you right there.

It's incredible how strong of a reaction we all have when we see "Jets pick a WR in the 2nd" :D 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I know but any other round.  We are cursed with 2nd round WRs.  Maybe Moore finally broke it but odds are still against us.

To be fair, most of our 1st round picks over the last decade haven't been great either. ;) 

26 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Another RB to compliment Carter?  I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority about this, but I like the tandem of Carter/Coleman.

And that other dude thats interesting forget his name.

RB is not a huge need imo

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

And that other dude thats interesting forget his name.

RB is not a huge need imo

It is a need, but not a need comparatively speaking to the other needs on this team.  After Carter, I see a big drop-off, and I believe if the Jets can get another comparable player to Carter to team up with, that would be a win.   But, there are too many other needs to consider it, unless someone drops in the 4th round again like Carter did, and then the Jets should pounce.  But I don't see it happening right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

A wildcard in all this is if Saleh is drooling over a guy like Kyle Hamilton to fit the role that he had in mind for Nasrildeen and Sherwood.  Could happen.

There's no way he would draft Hamilton just to turn him into a LB... For that matter, NAS should be converted back to safety and if they do draft hamilton, then let NAS, Davis and the rest compete for spots. 

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Based on some inside info leaked on this very forum:
-We will target Njoku.
-JD will continue to beef up the OL (if not target Scherff, a blue-chip prospect to play RG; with positional versatility to move to OT).
-We will add at Edge.
-All things equal, the team will seek to build around Zach and let the defense get better with repetitions. 

Offseason FA additions: Dante Fowler Jr., David Njoku, Ahkello Witherspoon

DRAFT
#4, TRADED to PHI for #14, #54, and 2022 2nd  (they move up to draft Kyle Hamilton or Derek Stingley)
#7, Ikem Ekwonu, OL
#14, Treylon Burks, WR
#35, Jordan Battle, S
#38, Christian Harris, LB
#54, Trey McBride, TE
#69, Sam Williams, Edge

I think this is a horrible draft. We need an impact player on D. The O has put up points as of late and probably can just add a stud WR through FA as Buffalo did with Diggs. Even though Coleman is getting old and Johnson still hasn't  distinguished himself, I would be OK with the trio of Coleman, Johnson, and Carter for another year and get something big and fast in the next draft.

Our D is horrible. We can't keep putting pressure  on the O to score every possession.  A D that gets stops will make the O better. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I think this is a horrible draft. We need an impact player on D. The O has put up points as of late and probably can just add a stud WR through FA as Buffalo did with Diggs. Even though Coleman is getting old and Johnson still hasn't  distinguished himself, I would be OK with the trio of Coleman, Johnson, and Carter for another year and get something big and fast in the next draft.

Our D is horrible. We can't keep putting pressure  on the O to score every possession.  A D that gets stops will make the O better. 

Ok.  So you think we should lean defense, JD would prefer to build around Zach, according to our source. 

Getting Lawson back and adding Fowler in FA solves the pass rush (esp., when rotating in JFM, Huff, and the others)

Akhello has played for Saleh, and has become a stud in PIT, he easily shores up CB2.  If I continued my mock yo include later rounds I’m digging Coby Bryant in the 4th round. 

Battle is a top-3 Safety, Harris is a top-3 LB, Sam Williams is an ascending Edge who compiled 50+ tackles, double-digit sacks, and double digit TFL.

Just because you’re unfamiliar with players doesn’t mean they aren’t “impactful”. 

• Upvote 1

trading down is a double edge sword. if the value is not there, you won't get much....if the value is there...why trade down? the jets have a ton of picks, and a ton of young players. bringing in more young players to compliment second and third year guys doesn't seem logical. take the best players, maybe trade down to recoup late round picks later on.

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

trading down is a double edge sword. if the value is not there, you won't get much....if the value is there...why trade down? the jets have a ton of picks, and a ton of young players. bringing in more young players to compliment second and third year guys doesn't seem logical. take the best players, maybe trade down to recoup late round picks later on.

Agree to the extent that while we are looking to build a pipeline of young, affordable talent, these players must be quality selections…. especially in key positional groups like Edge, WR, CB and OL and TE. We have enough picks where I’d be good trading up to get Hutchinson. I also don’t care if we reach by a half dozen spots to get a sure fire talent at WR or Edge at #4 if we can’t trade out. No more “ESPN had them rated at #4 so we took DT” crap. Get a weapon. 

FA will be crucial for this team. We need vets lining up alongside young talent at Safety, LB and Center if we can’t get Linderbaum. 

• Upvote 1

I dont think replacing McGovern is a big need, and I dont see how Bradley Bozeman is any sort of an upgrade.  McGovern  played more then good enough and we have no idea if he can also play well at RG and frankly LDT is a veteran who is 30 and can likely be signed to a 2 year $6 million deal and hold down that spot.  Now if we want to use a second round pick on someone like Jarrett Patterson to provide depth in 2022 and take over at center in 2023, thats not a bad idea, if JD can fill other holes in FA. 

I personally want to keep Fant at LT and move Becton to RT and with some resignings would give us a group of:

Fant-AVT-MCG-LDT-Becton with Feeney as a possible resigning (can play center and is cheap).  That allows JD to draft a developmental IOL and OT at some point and sign a  veteran as depth at OT (if its Moses great, if not then you can find a decent RT who fits a zone system).

As for RB, we need a veteran behind Carter.  My personal choice is Ronald Jones who doesnt have a ton of carries on his resume, can catch and pass protect and would be a great use of $3 million per year for 3 years (for reference James Conner signed a 1 year $1.75 deal with arizona so that contract is very reasonable). Then we can keep drafting zone fit RBs in late rounds to develop.

Karaflitis would be a great use of our top pick and then trading down seems like it could be a smart move.  We can pick up someone like Dean or Devin Lloyd in the mid-first, pick up a 2023 pick (we need to spread out salary) and use our second rounders on a TE, safety or a LB if JD really wants to make things interesting and picks someone like Jameson Williams with the second first rounder. 

9 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Ok.  So you think we should lean defense, JD would prefer to build around Zach, according to our source. 

Getting Lawson back and adding Fowler in FA solves the pass rush (esp., when rotating in JFM, Huff, and the others)

Akhello has played for Saleh, and has become a stud in PIT, he easily shores up CB2.  If I continued my mock yo include later rounds I’m digging Coby Bryant in the 4th round. 

Battle is a top-3 Safety, Harris is a top-3 LB, Sam Williams is an ascending Edge who compiled 50+ tackles, double-digit sacks, and double digit TFL.

Just because you’re unfamiliar with players doesn’t mean they aren’t “impactful”. 

Any player you take in the 4th round or later you are hoping they start, but are more likely a rotational player or depth. How many edge or db's taken that late start unless you are the Jets that had absolute  garbage at those positions. Yes, every so often you get a Carter who potentially  can be a starter if he gains 10 or 15 lbs but as he is right now, he isn't  starter material. He will keep getting hurt if we use him like that and he isn't a GL back, at least not yet. The players you mention are not going to step in, start and make an impact but a top 4 defesive player has a better than average chance. Yeah, getting the best receiver or another OL helps the O but look at what is happening right now. This D couldn't  stop TB from scoring a TD with less than a minute left and no time outs without their best players on O on the field. If the O doesn't  score, we lose. We have to get stops so when the O does stall, ir isn't  fatal. 

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

the oline is nearly there but moses and tardiff are free agents and there is some doubt about becton.  clark?  who knows.  but it looks like they need to get a guard if tardiff is too pricey.  moses might be too pricey for what might be a back up role.

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

What?

The Buffalo Bills acquired the Vikings receiver and a 2020 seventh-round pick in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick (No. 22 overall), a 2020 fifth-round pick, a 2020 sixth-round pick and a 2021 fourth-round pick, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday. Fox Sports first reported the news.

Buffalo invested a 1st, a 4th, a 5th and a 6th for Diggs and a 7th. That's most of a draft class right there.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, xJayce said:

What?

The Buffalo Bills acquired the Vikings receiver and a 2020 seventh-round pick in exchange for a 2020 first-round pick (No. 22 overall), a 2020 fifth-round pick, a 2020 sixth-round pick and a 2021 fourth-round pick, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday. Fox Sports first reported the news.

Buffalo invested a 1st, a 4th, a 5th and a 6th for Diggs and a 7th. That's most of a draft class right there.

The point is, this is possibly the best FA WR year in a very long time. Not all of them will be resigned. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

58 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Point is we can trade down and still get the first (and best) WR of this class, while recouping picks. 

And hope we don't draft the next Peter Warwick? From what I read we are going to be close to 50 million under the cap. Time to spend some money where it helps. We have Moore, Wilson looks like he is going to work out. It is time to spend. 

46 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

And hope we don't draft the next Peter Warwick? From what I read we are going to be close to 50 million under the cap. Time to spend some money where it helps. We have Moore, Wilson looks like he is going to work out. It is time to spend. 

Sounds like we'll be looking at David Njoku and a pass rusher in free agency.  I was hoping for Danielle Hunter but put Fowler in my mock because he played for Saleh (JAX) and Ulbrich (ATL), but either way... pairing one of those guys with a healthy Carl Lawson would go a long way to shoring up the pass rush, and would make your pass rusher at #4 a rotational piece at best.  

Also, adding Witherspoon, who played under Saleh (SF), who has quietly turned into a quality #2 leading the Steelers with 9 PDs and 3 INTs... We can then add speed at LB, a blue-chip safety prospect, and a situational PR all in the second round, and have a truly reformed defense without spending the #4 pick on the third best pass-rusher. 

I should edit my mock in this thread to reflect changes I've made in the Draft Forum since posting in here. 

4. Ikem Ekwonu, RG this year, LT/RT next year
17. Treylon Burks, WR1
35. Daxton Hill, S
38. Cameron Thomas, Edge
49. Christian Harris, LB
69. Trey McBride, TE
108. Coby Bryant, CB
115. Breece Hall, RB
135. Tyler Vrabel, OT

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Sounds like we'll be looking at David Njoku and a pass rusher in free agency.  I was hoping for Danielle Hunter but put Fowler in my mock because he played for Saleh (JAX) and Ulbrich (ATL), but either way... pairing one of those guys with a healthy Carl Lawson would go a long way to shoring up the pass rush, and would make your pass rusher at #4 a rotational piece at best.  

Also, adding Witherspoon, who played under Saleh (SF), who has quietly turned into a quality #2 leading the Steelers with 9 PDs and 3 INTs... We can then add speed at LB, a blue-chip safety prospect, and a situational PR all in the second round, and have a truly reformed defense without spending the #4 pick on the third best pass-rusher. 

I should edit my mock in this thread to reflect changes I've made in the Draft Forum since posting in here. 

4. Ikem Ekwonu, RG this year, LT/RT next year
17. Treylon Burks, WR1
35. Daxton Hill, S
38. Cameron Thomas, Edge
49. Christian Harris, LB
69. Trey McBride, TE
108. Coby Bryant, CB
115. Breece Hall, RB
135. Tyler Vrabel, OT

Here is my opinion 

Njoku. Bust

Fowler Major disappointment 

Witherspoon don't know much about him but most likely benefited from players like TJ Watt and Cameron Heyward pressuring QB. 

Hunter is interesting.