Would you trade our 2 2nd rounders for a 1st?

The value chart says our pair of 2nd rounders are worth around 1100 points.

Thats about equivalent to #15.

so lets say someone bit. Lets say we got pick 20. It would mean you could snag a trio like:

edge - ojabu/karlaftis, -

Oline- Linderbaum/Neal

wr-London/Burks

But no second rounders.

wood u wood u wood u??????

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

Ala AVT, you trade up for a player. We have plenty of picks.  JD needs to pick the right guys. JD has shown he knows how to buy and sell slots. If his draft in 2022 is as good as 2021, we’re in good shape.

If it’s like 2020, we’re screwed either way. 

• Upvote 2

I think it's a good idea to leverage the 2's to move back up if we're able to trade down from the 4 or the 7 into the teens - acquiring (at least) another second rounder back in that trade, I could have a first round of something like;

•  Ikem Ekwonu OT NC State
  • Treylon Burks WR Arkansas
  • Jermaine Johnson DE FSU

And still have a pick in the second

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Possibly yes, especially if we perhaps trade down with one of our 1sts? 

There are a few players I like enough to go for this (Treylon Burks for instance)

It's early, and a lot will change, but right now, I would have no problem trading out of 4 and taking Burks at 7.

• Upvote 4

It depends who is there.  I haven't paid attention to who I want, but if they are in love like they were with AVT it makes sense.  In addition to getting the player that they want, they get the 5th year option which makes hitting on a 1st better than hitting on a 2nd. This is a weird draft and I don't think people have too great of a grasp on what will go on - I'm not sure the teams do either.

There is also the fact that they have so many picks that there isn't necessarily room for all of them.  They have plenty of holes, but you have to figure with free agency they hope to at least have a solid floor at every spot.  Can't expect all these guys to make it.  By my count they have:

2 1sts:  Their pick and the Seahawks (Adams)

2 2nds:  Their pick and the Panthers (Darnold)

1 3rd :  Their pick

2 4ths:  The Panthers pick, the Vikings pick (Herndon).  The Jets 4th went to Seattle on the Adams deal.  

2 5th:  Theirs and the Steelers (Avery Williamson)

That's 9 picks in the 1st 5 rounds.  I think after that they are done.  They traded their 6th back to the Vikings in the Herndon deal.  They got the 49ers 6th for Jordan Willis, but traded that for Shaq Lawson.  They got the Bucs 6th for Steve McLendon, but I think that pick was traded for Flacco.  I think the Eagles have since sent that pick off, either for Kary Vincent or Miinshew.  The Jets 7th was sent back to Pittsburgh in the Williamson deal.  

They are certainly in a place where they can easily move up for a player they like without using 2023 ammo.  They can also move down and pick up picks for next year.  That might make sense, since in 2023 they don't have any extra picks (yet) but swapped their 7th to Bucs in the McLendon deal. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

29 minutes ago, David Harris said:

My question is would you trade #4 and #36 to move into the top 2 for Thibs/Hutch?

I would. Missing out on Bosa for QW was a big blow.  Those top Edge guys often pan out.  Bosa brothers, Myles Garrett, Chase Young.  

I think the position has to be addressed in the first round this year - but I've faded a bit on Hutch.

• He and Ojabo were both invisible in the playoff game, their biggest test of the season
  • He and Ojabo both benefitted from the presence of eachother

I want to see Karlaftis' combine and specifically Jermaine Johnson's as well (rumored to have run a 4.5 in high school, and checks every box from size/weight/arm-length).

Thib might be the only guy that's worth a move up, but if he's going to do what everyone expects him to do at the combine, you'd have to be a fool to trade out of that pick.

But I agree with the premise - if someone is truly Garrett or Chase Young freakish, I'd consider moving up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

No way, there may be actually only 15 first rounders in this entire draft, but the actual second rounders could be 50 or more players. It is a deep deep class lacking true top end talent. 

Which is to say by trading up into the "first round" you're effectively trading two second round picks for one second round pick. 

Haven't looked at a trade chart to confirm it but that doesn't look like good business to me. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

so lets say someone bit. Lets say we got pick 20. It would mean you could snag a trio like:

Oline- Linderbaum/Neal

wr-London/Burks

But no second rounders.

If there is another AVT at #14, then I would do it in a heartbeat.  But, will there be a player at that point that is thought of as good as him?  I think the answer to that question is "no".

So, the answer I must give is a "no".

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So turning 4 picks in the first 2 rounds into 3 picks?

Nah.  I'd only do that if the Jets were a handful of players away from contending.  Unfortunately, we need like 9 new starters between offense and defense so I'd be reluctant to turn 4 players into 3 in this Draft.

Guys like Elijah Moore and Pat Freiermuth are found in Round 2.  I want guys like that.

Guys like AVT are found in the first round ?

53 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's early, and a lot will change, but right now, I would have no problem trading out of 4 and taking Burks at 7.

A few weeks back I recall saying he reminded me of a deebo samuel type of player as far as being a total package kind of guy and running after the catch and such and one of the people who's opinion i respect from the daft forum said he was a better version of deebo.

• Sympathy 1

At this point, I'm hoping JD trades back in first to get another #1 next year + a sweetener (2nd or 3rd) this year.  We had a good draft in 2021.  He needs another this year.  If he can parlay two top 10 picks this year,  into a top ten, plus a 10-20 first rounder, double up in rounds 2-4 this year, plus an extra one next year, he may just fix the Jets and this dysfunctional franchise for the rest of the decade.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think it's a good idea to leverage the 2's to move back up if we're able to trade down from the 4 or the 7 into the teens - acquiring (at least) another second rounder back in that trade, I could have a first round of something like;

•  Ikem Ekwonu OT NC State
  • Treylon Burks WR Arkansas
  • Jermaine Johnson DE FSU

And still have a pick in the second

Guys, unless Becton is traded, we are NOT taking an OT with a high pick.  It just isn't good draft capital management.  Its not.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Oline- Linderbaum/Neal

wr-London/Burks

But no second rounders.

If the right guy is available, absolutely, yes.  3 top tier guys would be an absolute coup.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

So turning 4 picks in the first 2 rounds into 3 picks?

Nah.  I'd only do that if the Jets were a handful of players away from contending.  Unfortunately, we need like 9 new starters between offense and defense so I'd be reluctant to turn 4 players into 3 in this Draft.

Guys like Elijah Moore and Pat Freiermuth are found in Round 2.  I want guys like that.

We're no amount of good rookies away from competing.  If we have 5 top 10 picks, we still wouldn't be there.

But, if we add a top edge, and then maybe a top lineman or CB, and we're able to get the #2 WR in the draft at 15, by leveraging our 2 second rounders, I'm 100% on board for that.

• WTF? 1

Maybe.

If we get a good starting TE in FA, 

1) Karlaftis Edge

2) Drake London WR

3) trade up for Linderbaum C

This would mean our offense is likely complete and our DL is likely a strength.

Use the rest of the picks on defense and then complete the defense in 2023. I’d be ok with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Oline- Linderbaum/Neal

wr-London/Burks

But no second rounders.

Our hit rate for second rounders is terrible. 

so might make sense.  Problem is our hit rate on first rounders isn’t so hot either