Would you trade our 2 2nd rounders for a 1st?

22 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Guys, unless Becton is traded, we are NOT taking an OT with a high pick.  It just isn't good draft capital management.  Its not.

i keep trying to tell them Steve but they dont care. there in love with this Center. even if Becton is traded we dont need it.

funny thing is everyone knows you cant draft a Center at 9 so they keep coming up with these trade backs to justify picking him. 

fixing the worst defense in NFL history and getting Wilson the best WR in the draft should be our #1 priority. then getting a TE and more help on D. not trying to fix the OL that doesn't need to be fixed.

Feeney and Edoga played all game and we had 150 yds rushing and gave up one sack. there is the proof you dont need to waste top draft capital on these guys like 75% of the league does.

when these guys realized that Brick and Mangold cost us at least 2 SBs and not give them credit for the 2 AFCCG then maybe they will learn.

we can only hope JD is smarter than that.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Guys, unless Becton is traded, we are NOT taking an OT with a high pick.  It just isn't good draft capital management.  Its not.

What about an OG that can play OT?  
Do you think JD would do that with, idk, a top-14 pick?  

You know, in case Becton can’t play a whole season. 

• Upvote 1

The value chart says our pair of 2nd rounders are worth around 1100 points.
Thats about equivalent to #15.
so lets say someone bit. Lets say we got pick 20. It would mean you could snag a trio like:
edge - ojabu/karlaftis, -
Oline- Linderbaum/Neal
wr-London/Burks
But no second rounders.
wood u wood u wood u??????

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Big picture, for next year, there is only one tackle we can count on to play effectively under contract - and that's George Fant. 

This is by far the most interesting and complicated decision that has to be made by the front office this offseason. 

But if we have to admit a loss on a bust, especially on a position as critical as tackle, I'd rather do it a year early, when we have the draft position and capital to afford it, then to wait. 

The most straightforward move is to re-sign Moses on the right and let Fant and Becton compete for the LT spot next year. I'm comfortable with that, but if there's a tackle prospect that the team falls in love with or if it is known inside the building that Becton is a bust, then I could easily see us spending a pick one. 

Ekwonu plays, and excels, in the Wide Zone @ NC State. 

With four picks in the top 40, two in the top 10, a coach-GM tandem that agree the game is won in the trenches and a lot of uncertainty @ a critical position, I don't think it's unrealistic to project an offensive tackle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

IF Becton is traded before the draft, then my guess is we will draft an OLineman.

IF Becton isn't, people can drop this line of thinking.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

My question is would you trade #4 and #36 to move into the top 2 for Thibs/Hutch?

I would. Missing out on Bosa for QW was a big blow.  Those top Edge guys often pan out.  Bosa brothers, Myles Garrett, Chase Young.  

I don’t think the top guys this season are in the same ballpark as the Bosas, Garrett and Young when it comes to being a high level NFL pass rusher. 

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  Show me JD's "hit rate" in the first two rounds of the Draft since he's been here.  Then tell me you want fewer rather than more picks. ?

Mims is the only one I give up on.

I think Becton still has a good chance to be good. Could go either way.

I was really down on Wilson but he's trending up quickly. Could go either way.

AVT looks like a hit.

Moore looks like a hit.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

My question is would you trade #4 and #36 to move into the top 2 for Thibs/Hutch?

I would. Missing out on Bosa for QW was a big blow.  Those top Edge guys often pan out.  Bosa brothers, Myles Garrett, Chase Young.  

Sounds like Thibs and Hutchinson are not in the same class as the Bosas, Young or Garrett.

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

so lets say someone bit. Lets say we got pick 20. It would mean you could snag a trio like:

Oline- Linderbaum/Neal

wr-London/Burks

But no second rounders.

Yeaaaaaa interesting. JD could trade up with those 2nd rounders and trade back with one of the 1st’s or even 2 of them. Sounds screwy but it would enable JD to reclaim some lost value on the two 2nd rounders and still grab 3 1st round prizes like Linderboom, LB Lloyd and WR Burks. 

4 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Yeaaaaaa interesting. JD could trade up with those 2nd rounders and trade back with one of the 1st’s or even 2 of them. Sounds screwy but it would enable JD to reclaim some lost value on the two 2nd rounders and still grab 3 1st round prizes like Linderboom, LB Lloyd and WR Burks. 

I mean who wouldn't be ecstatic w/that?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Unless you have concerns about Becton’s durability or have plans to move him to RT or think the OT (read Neal) has the flexibility to slide into RG for a year or two.

5 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Nope. You can get 4 starters. No need to trade up this year. 

You’d get 3 first rounders. Three. 1 2 3. JD could trade back with two of them and recoup the loss of the two 2nd rounders. Thibs, Neal, Hutch are really not needed. And are they in the same class as Bosa or Garret. I think not. We have Lawson back next year and Huff and JFM. And we can still add an edge later or even sign a FA. I say DO IT. JD has serious ammunition to work with: Two 1st’s and two 2nd’s.  My picks in round 1 - Linderboom, Lloyd, Burks. 

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Oline- Linderbaum/Neal

wr-London/Burks

But no second rounders.

I even throw in my taste buds with those 2’s too and trade you for a guy that doesn’t miss a game  his rookie season. Don’t even care about position, just play all 4 quarters of all 17 games please! 

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

why do you need that? we sign LDT and Moses. keep the line in tacked. or get a OG who can play OT in FA or the later rds.

no need to use a 1st rd pick on the line. 

the love for a OL instead of a top Noch WR who could light up a scoreboard or an Edge who can get 10 plus sacks and cause more sacks in beyond belief.

Belichick and Ried must lick their lips when teams like us keep drafting OL and leave impact players on the board for them to draft.

9 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Big picture, for next year, there is only one tackle we can count on to play effectively under contract - and that's George Fant. 

This is by far the most interesting and complicated decision that has to be made by the front office this offseason. 

But if we have to admit a loss on a bust, especially on a position as critical as tackle, I'd rather do it a year early, when we have the draft position and capital to afford it, then to wait. 

Becton is one of our Tackles next year, theyre not trading out and designating him a bust because he missed this season due to a knee injury that took longer for him to heal than someone else.  

I would love to see what a healthy Becton would have done with a comfortable and healthy AVT next to him.  Remember AVT missed most of camp and wasnt lining up next to Becton for most of the summer

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It depends who is there.  I haven't paid attention to who I want, but if they are in love like they were with AVT it makes sense.  In addition to getting the player that they want, they get the 5th year option which makes hitting on a 1st better than hitting on a 2nd. This is a weird draft and I don't think people have too great of a grasp on what will go on - I'm not sure the teams do either.

There is also the fact that they have so many picks that there isn't necessarily room for all of them.  They have plenty of holes, but you have to figure with free agency they hope to at least have a solid floor at every spot.  Can't expect all these guys to make it.  By my count they have:

2 1sts:  Their pick and the Seahawks (Adams)

2 2nds:  Their pick and the Panthers (Darnold)

1 3rd :  Their pick

2 4ths:  The Panthers pick, the Vikings pick (Herndon).  The Jets 4th went to Seattle on the Adams deal.  

2 5th:  Theirs and the Steelers (Avery Williamson)

That's 9 picks in the 1st 5 rounds.  I think after that they are done.  They traded their 6th back to the Vikings in the Herndon deal.  They got the 49ers 6th for Jordan Willis, but traded that for Shaq Lawson.  They got the Bucs 6th for Steve McLendon, but I think that pick was traded for Flacco.  I think the Eagles have since sent that pick off, either for Kary Vincent or Miinshew.  The Jets 7th was sent back to Pittsburgh in the Williamson deal.  

They are certainly in a place where they can easily move up for a player they like without using 2023 ammo.  They can also move down and pick up picks for next year.  That might make sense, since in 2023 they don't have any extra picks (yet) but swapped their 7th to Bucs in the McLendon deal. 

Agree with this rationale. Next year they’re expected to get some results not another mulligan season, and that means they’re not going to want to start a zillion rookies again. They have so many picks, on the heels of a draft where they made so many picks, on top of some FA shopping, that they can afford to a more surgical view of the draft.

If they could trade down and pick up the highest pick possible next year I’d do it. It’s quite the luxury. The opportunity may also be there to trade a 2nd this year for a 1 next year; not just trading down from one of our high 1sts. 

They’ll probably have 2-4 comp picks next year, but I wouldn’t expect any to be higher ones. They’ve got so many UFAs they aren’t keeping, who’ll probably sign qualifying contracts, that they aren’t going to offset all of them with new signings. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Becton is one of our Tackles next year, theyre not trading out and designating him a bust because he missed this season due to a knee injury that took longer for him to heal than someone else.  

I would love to see what a healthy Becton would have done with a comfortable and healthy AVT next to him.  Remember AVT missed most of camp and wasnt lining up next to Becton for most of the summer

Yeah unless the coaching staff puts its foot down and says they want no part of him - keeping in mind they weren’t here for his promising rookie season - Becton’s expected to return as a starter. Using a top 5 pick on a tackle because they’re unsure of how reliable he’ll be in 2022 is a vast overreach. 

WIthout considering the individuals at each position, since things will shake up more after the combine, I find it hard to rationalize top 10 picks other than EDGE, WR, DB, LB. This OL is more rhythm and consistency/familiarity with a minimum base level of competence required at each spot. That’s the whole point, as opposed to pure man blocking where it’s all about your one lineman beating (or not getting beaten by) the individual lining up opposite him every snap.

It was one thing with a move up for an expectedly-sure thing in AVT back when they had low-upside question marks at both guard positions (plus McG coming off a horrible season), or when they had an outright hole at one tackle spot the year before and one starter being just a backup with his previous team.

But now, with the line play shaping up as it has, I don’t think they see themselves as being so desperate for an OL pick that they use either high 1st rounder on one. I’d never say never (it’s still early January yet), but it’s a fan’s romance that only 1st round picks improve the OL enough to matter much. The team is not going to be as quick as fans to give up on a recent high talent high pick, who’s already proven capable on the field in live action, and who’s locked up for 2 more years super-cheap.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

The recent rumors are that this coaching staff is down on Becton's worth ethic and self discipline.

You may be right, this could simply be a minor issue, pure BS or a shot-across-the-bow to motivate him.

But there are few positions worth top picks - offensive tackle being one of them. 

Ekwonu plays in the wide zone scheme @ NC State and is an excellent prospect at a critical position.

Let's see how this all plays out.

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

The recent rumors are that this coaching staff is down on Becton's worth ethic and self discipline.

You may be right, this could simply be a minor issue, pure BS or a shot-across-the-bow to motivate him.

But there are few positions worth top picks - offensive tackle being one of them. 

Ekwonu plays in the wide zone scheme @ NC State and is an excellent prospect at a critical position.

Let's see how this all plays out.

Link to those rumors?  Haven’t heard that anywhere

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Link to those rumors?  Haven’t heard that anywhere

Tony Pauline

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/is-mekhi-bectons-time-with-the-new-york-jets-coming-to-a-close/

Pauline reminded everyone of the criticisms of Becton that he first mentioned in his October article — Becton is known for tapping out. As Pauline said, “Becton taps out of practices, taps out of plays, and taps out of games.”

Re: taking a tackle in the top 10:

@football guy, much like your son, has been reliable in the past with insight/information. His words are in red.

Does Fant get kept next season even we draft an OT top 10? He’s $11 mill but that’s decent for a quality pass protecting LT, especially with Becton’s unreliability.  If we draft an OT is there a trade market for Fant? They're keeping Fant. I don't even think they'll entertain trading him unless he doesn't want to be here. Most likely, they'll look to extend him, but what makes matters confusing is the draft because many don't see Joe Douglas passing on a guy like Evan Neal or Ikem Ekwonu if they're available with one of the top 10 picks. I don't have "insider knowledge" but my hunch is they would play either at RG and feel it out later. If Fant does sign a long-term extension, they can keep the draft pick at RG and simply figure out who plays LT/RT between Becton and Fant. If he doesn't, they can determine whether the 2022 pick slides out to RT or moves to LT after the season. Either way, I think Joe Douglas has got to be thrilled with the progress that has been made, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him draft one of these college tackles and permanently place them at RG, much like the 2015 Washington Redskins did with Brandon Scherff.

• Upvote 3