Jump to content

Dave Gettleman to retire on Monday?


jetstream23
 Share

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, doitny said:

great point. didnt think of that.

hes 70 so hes going to retire soon, but i would think he would honor his contract and retire after its done. so this is definitely how your saying it

only problem for Gettleman is if he retires, he doesn't get his money. if Hes fired he gets it all

Good point, but I would bet the Giants and him have a side agreement worked out. I doubt he would voluntarily walk away from all that money. He probably agreed to retire, save face, and take a few dollars off what he would have been owed if he was fired. Otherwise, there is no reason for him to "retire." Makes this whole thing even more contrived. 

He didn't NEED to retire. He could have just been fired. Collected his paycheck and sat on a couch. It's not like he is Tom Brady and needs to let the world know he is retired. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doitny said:

great point. didnt think of that.

hes 70 so hes going to retire soon, but i would think he would honor his contract and retire after its done. so this is definitely how your saying it

only problem for Gettleman is if he retires, he doesn't get his money. if Hes fired he gets it all

He was probably told by Mara that he will be "retiring" on Monday.  He will get paid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Highly likely Macc would have taken Josh Rosen.  Macc flew out to California for his Pro Day.  

So even if we avoided Darnold, Macc would have made an even worse decision on draft day.  

I feel like Macc would have taken Allen. And that Allen would now suck.  So the end result would kind of be the same.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I feel like Macc would have taken Allen. And that Allen would now suck.  So the end result would kind of be the same.

I don't think Macc would have had the balls to take Allen.  Evidence:  Every decision of his entire tenure.

He traded up to 3 because there were 3 QB's he was comfortable taking.  Darnold was his # 1, and I believe he had Mayfield and Rosen (likely in that order) over Allen.

 

Also, there's these article blurbs:

 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/sam-darnold-nfl-draft-2018-jets-josh-allen-lamar-jackson/ky6wa5313a0t19k9o8i02wt4j

Quote

The Jets didn't expect Darnold to be there. Most late mock drafts had them taking Mayfield or Rosen. There was a growing sense that the Jets preferred to take Mayfield most, given how much they liked his playing style and big "made for New York" personality. Rosen was seen more as the consolation, with the possibility of both Mayfield and Darnold being gone, in some order, with the first two picks.

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

 

Quote

When the Jets dealt up to the No. 3 spot in the draft in March, they’d identified three quarterbacks—Darnold, Mayfield, and UCLA’s Josh Rosen—they were good with. This was better than that.

 

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/75343/jets-scouting-whirlwind-four-quarterbacks-three-cities-and-6135-miles

Quote

Allen, Darnold and Rosen have the kind of arm talent that makes scouts swoon, but don't dismiss Mayfield from the conversation. There's Mayfield/Jets buzz in the scouting community, enough to make me believe he's still in play with the third pick. This surprises me. As an undersized quarterback from a spread system, he doesn't seem to fit the Maccagnan profile of a classic pocket passer. But Mayfield is a winner with rare accuracy, and he has impressed the Jets' brass in their meetings.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think Macc would have had the balls to take Allen.  Evidence:  Every decision of his entire tenure.

He traded up to 3 because there were 3 QB's he was comfortable taking.  Darnold was his # 1, and I believe he had Mayfield and Rosen (likely in that order) over Allen.

 

Also, there's these article blurbs:

 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/sam-darnold-nfl-draft-2018-jets-josh-allen-lamar-jackson/ky6wa5313a0t19k9o8i02wt4j

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

 

 

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/75343/jets-scouting-whirlwind-four-quarterbacks-three-cities-and-6135-miles

Well this is one time that luck might have been in the Jets corner. We all agree that Macc would choose the wrong guy.

I think if Macc came back and said Rosen is the guy he would be been overturned by ownership. I don't want to go down the road that gets these threads locked. But no way would the owner go for criticism like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Please avoid the political references.  No politics is a pretty simple rule to follow.  Yet politics alwasy seems to find its way in to threads these days..

Thanks

Oh sh*t. First mod flex I’ve seen from Lith. Well done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well this is one time that luck might have been in the Jets corner. We all agree that Macc would choose the wrong guy.

I think if Macc came back and said Rosen is the guy he would be been overturned by ownership. I don't want to go down the road that gets these threads locked. But no way would the owner go for criticism like that.

So for once, ownership could have done something that HELPED the Jets?

Damn you, Gettleman!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every time we revisit that draft I get PTSD.  Giving up three high second round picks to move from six to three without even knowing who will be there has to have been the dumbest move I can recall.  Not necessarily the outcome but the process.  We love 3 players so much we don't care which we get we are still willing to give up a bounty.  They are all equally good.  Sooo ridiculous.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Every time we revisit that draft I get PTSD.  Giving up three high second round picks to move from six to three without even knowing who will be there has to have been the dumbest move I can recall.  Not necessarily the outcome but the process.  We love 3 players so much we don't care which we get we are still willing to give up a bounty.  They are all equally good.  Sooo ridiculous.

And then as if to try to top his own stupidity, what does Macc do with his next draft pick after taking Darnold?  Bolster the league's worst offense with OL help or a receiving target for his shiny new QB?  Nah.  He takes a small school, 26-year old rotational DL.  

Worst GM in NFL history, and its not close.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/7/2022 at 7:51 AM, rangerous said:

too bad gettleman didn't pick darnold instead of barkley.  you have to wonder if mac would've opted for jackson, allen or a dt.

Had he or Coffee Boy picked Josh Allen, very different world.

Barkley is a tremendous talent, but he's a running back and it's not 1982. Much like said Coffee Boy picking a frickin' safety over a QB, positional value and scarcity,  etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Maxman said:

I feel like Macc would have taken Allen. And that Allen would now suck.  So the end result would kind of be the same.

SOJ? I don't know. Do know Macc never really appeared to care about much with his early picks other than interior DL named Williams and safeties. Since they don't block or catch passes, you may be correct. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weird that the Giants wouldn't just fire him. I mean, I guess they are showing him respect and the end result is the same, but letting him retire indicates that it's his decision to walk away. Based on his awful track record with the Giants, that shouldn't be the case.

The Mets let Sandy Alderson "step away" when his cancer came back even though it was speculated the Mets were going to move on from him, but Alderson it least got the Mets to a World Series and back to the playoffs the next year also. 

Gettleman has been a complete train wreck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...