Berrios: Not Looking Good for Sunday

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Seriously.  Wilson is coming off his best game as a pro and people want to sit him down?  Come on now.  

I see both sides of it.  Yes, it’s true, you don’t want to coddle him, but the Bears are doing what some are suggesting right now with Fields.

I think everyone on both sides of the fence can agree, whether we like it or not: Zach is who we’re going all in on developing.  It would not be v gud to see him hurt against the Bills this weekend when we have absolutely nothing to play for.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I see both sides of it.  Yes, it’s true, you don’t want to coddle him, but the Bears are doing what some are suggesting right now with Fields.

I think everyone on both sides of the fence can agree, whether we like it or not: Zach is who we’re going all in on developing.  It would not be v gud to see him hurt against the Bills this weekend when we have absolutely nothing to play for.

On the other hand, what if he goes out and has a great game against the Bills? It becomes an entirely different off-season if he does.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the other hand, what if he goes out and has a great game against the Bills? It becomes an entirely different off-season if he does.

Exactly.  People keep talking about all the exciting FA's they want the Jets to spend their giant bag of money on.  No matter how much money the Jets offer, no worthy players are coming here unless they believe in Zach Wilson.  Period.

• Upvote 3

• The Jets were also pretty depleted last week and gave the Bucs a run for their money.  So the decision about whether to start Wilson will be smart if he comes out healthy and incredibly stupid if he gets injured.  If he blows a knee or shoulder it could affect his 2022-2023 season.  I would sit him.
  • You wonder whether Berrios is looking at this game like a top draft pick views a college bowl game and sits out to avoid getting hurt and blowing his market value (like Godwin and others).  
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  People keep talking about all the exciting FA's they want the Jets to spend their giant bag of money on.  No matter how much money the Jets offer, no worthy players are coming here unless they believe in Zach Wilson.  Period.

Yeah, I definitely see that upside.  He’s gonna play regardless, so gotta just hope the OL keeps him clean.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Honestly, if I were a free agent, watching him bounce balls off the facemasks of Denzel Mims and Jeff Smith would make me excited for the opportunity.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah, I definitely see that upside.  He’s gonna play regardless, so gotta just hope the OL keeps him clean.

Plus, imagine how much more loathed he’d be in the locker room if he voluntarily sat out a Week 18 game just because. They’d tape him to a goalpost for the winter.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Plus, imagine how much more loathed he’d be in the locker room if he voluntarily sat out a Week 18 game just because. They’d tape him to a goalpost for the winter.

Yeah, that’s probably a no-no.  Good news is he ain’t that type of guy so it doesn’t really matter that I wanna treat him like a toy that we keep in the box forever.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

specifically the jets are going to get destroyed out there-Wilson will be out there surrounded by scrubs and some guys he is not used to playing with and I believe this puts him at greater risk to get hurt.

what will he learn or gain from being out there losing by 20+ and getting blasted out there by a solid defense?

Sounds like you think Wilson is fragile and doesn't need the experience of playing in tough conditions vs. a very good defense.

If he gets hurt, again, it's a sign his body may not be up to the rigors of the NFL.  Players get hit in the NFL, after all, even with all the opening day starters.

I'd rather know that now, rather than later.

But then again, I also don't think the risk is so much higher than any other game he's played this year.

Has any other team with a legit franchise QB shut them down in the final week of a non-playoff season purely out of fear of potential injury, when the QB in question was not already hurt?  I don't think so.

Again, he's not a doll to sit on a shelf.  He's supposed to be a franchise QB.  Franchise QB's don't sit out of fan fear.

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sounds like you think Wilson is fragile and doesn't need the experience of playing in tough conditions vs. a very good defense.

If he gets hurt, again, it's a sign his body may not be up to the rigors of the NFL.  Players get hit in the NFL, after all, even with all the opening day starters.

I'd rather know that now, rather than later.

But then again, I also don't think the risk is so much higher than any other game he's played this year.

Has any other team with a legit franchise QB shut them down in the final week of a non-playoff season purely out of fear of potential injury, when the QB in question was not already hurt?  I don't think so.

Again, he's not a doll to sit on a shelf.  He's supposed to be a franchise QB.  Franchise QB's don't sit out of fan fear.

I don’t know about the “toughness” thing. Be as tough as you want but when you get slammed repeatedly to the turf by three-hundred pound dudes, toughness isn’t going to keep you from injury. Toughness, IMO, is more a state of mind. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can agree with that.  Based on that, I see no reason to sit Wilson.  He has not proven that he is a very good or great player, let alone that the team should build their offense or franchise around him.  Playing well this week could help show that he is.  Sitting on his ass can do nothing but let him collect a check and not hurt his delicate mind or body.

Delicate mind and body? Bet that kid’s 10 times tougher than you on all fronts. Weak statement.

8 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

I don’t know about the “toughness” thing. Be as tough as you want but when you get slammed repeatedly to the turf by three-hundred pound dudes, toughness isn’t going to keep you from injury. Toughness, IMO, is more a state of mind. 

Toughness AND durability are, of course, essential characteristics in the NFL.  Seems to me Warfish was talking about both of those characteristics.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

Delicate mind and body? Bet that kid’s 10 times tougher than you on all fronts. Weak statement.

"My Dad can beat up your Dad!" vibes with this post.  Someone is a little too sensitive.  Especially since it doesn't seem to me that Dom was even calling Wilson "delicate" here.  

14 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:

I am a 55 year old man.  I am 5'9".  I am 212 lbs, as much as 186 of that is where it should be.  If the chance arose to play QB for the Jets on Sunday for Wilson's game check I would be first in line.  I didn't say that Wilson had a weak mind and body.  I said that as long as he doesn't, there is no reason to sit him for a regular season NFL game when he is completely healthy. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am a 55 year old man.  I am 5'9".  I am 212 lbs, as much as 186 of that is where it should be.  If the chance arose to play QB for the Jets on Sunday for Wilson's game check I would be first in line.  I didn't say that Wilson had a weak mind and body.  I said that as long as he doesn't, there is no reason to sit him for a regular season NFL game when he is completely healthy. 

You referred to his “delicate mind and body” in your post.