Is it the player or the position ? re Stingley Jr

OMA

This time last year Stingley was widely regarded as the best cb prospect since Ramsey.  Fast forward to today and there seems to be little interest in drafting him with either pick.  I realize sitting out the year worries some, but given the current world and LSU turning into a dumpster fire I do not hold that against him.  I would have concerns over any medicals but assuming that clears I tend to want difference makers and play makers when drafting this high.  Karlaftis is a nice player and maybe he is Maxx Crosby but I can't help think we may be passing on an elite player.

I know some will say the scheme does not need elite cb which is nonsense.  Elite is elite and great coaches figure out how to maximize their impact.

• Sympathy 1

The position is why I don't think we'll take him. I don't think this administration values CB as a elite position but rather view it as one where they can develop later picks.

The player is why I personally don't want him. The guy basically hasn't played in two years -- there isn't good tape of him out there since 2019. You need to absolutely nail both of these picks. You want a homerun but you simply cannot strike out. Stingley carries too much risk.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OMA said:

This time last year Stingley was widely regarded as the best cb prospect since Ramsey.  Fast forward to today and there seems to be little interest in drafting him with either pick.  I realize sitting out the year worries some, but given the current world and LSU turning into a dumpster fire I do not hold that against him.  I would have concerns over any medicals but assuming that clears I tend to want difference makers and play makers when drafting this high.  Karlaftis is a nice player and maybe he is Maxx Crosby but I can't help think we may be passing on an elite player.

I know some will say the scheme does not need elite cb which is nonsense.  Elite is elite and great coaches figure out how to maximize their impact.

I would say its because we don't need him.  

Our young CB's have played pretty good. When they get burned is typically when an opponent's QB has like 15 seconds to throw the ball.

Which is why we need edge rushers.

• Upvote 3

I don't think it's likely they go CB nearly that high. Just look at the last offseason and look where they invested in San Francisco draft-wise. It's all about the D-line and premium resources spent at edge. We just paid Lawson and JFM and took all our CBs at the end of the draft. I'd say it's way more likely we take the best edge available at one of the two picks. It's just not a priority or good use of draft resources for this system to take a corner that high. We're also way more badly in need of better linebackers than anything on the corner end.

• Upvote 1

It's weird, I'd much rather use the 2nd first on a guy like Ahmad Gardner than Stingely. And I'm aware of how good Stingely's tape is. 

I'd rather roll with the guy who proved himself for 3+ years at a program where he had to work for everything as opposed to a guy who set the world on fire for one year...and then disappeared. 

But this may all be a moot point, as this coaching staff doesn't appear to highly value corners. But a case can be made that drafting a true #1 completes this group for the next 3-4 years. 

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The guy looked phenomenal ...... two years ago.

2020 nfl draft #3 overall pick , Awesome CB prospect....Jeffrey Okudah

The guy has played 10 games in two yeas due to injury.

We need, WR, TE, S, pas rusher, oline, lb more than we need CBs if you ask me.

Other than Mosley, the only guys on the D that played worth a damn were our young corners. 

• Upvote 3

Stingley isnt injury prone. He basically bagged out because the team sucks. Hopefully the Jets do their homework to verify this - but its pretty much the reason. These aren’t serious injuries he has had that would prevent you from drafting him. Now if you want to question him for bagging out then that is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, RSJ said:

Stingley isnt injury prone. He basically bagged out because the team sucks. Hopefully the Jets do their homework to verify this - but its pretty much the reason. These aren’t serious injuries he has had that would prevent you from drafting him. Now if you want to question him for bagging out then that is fine.

If I'm drafting someone top 5, I don't want to worry about injuries or just a guy bagging out.

If he stopped playing there because the team was bad, I don't want to bring him to the Jets, who are trying to build from the ground up.

If I'm drafting someone top 5, I don't want to worry about injuries or just a guy bagging out.
If he stopped playing there because the team was bad, I don't want to bring him to the Jets, who are trying to build from the ground up.

Its no different than sitting out a bowl game. It wasnt going to help his draft status very much by playing. He is going to be a top 5 pick and a very good pro.

The last few years have been disastrous as far as injuries for the Jets go, I’m staying away from anyone with a significant history. Last years draft is a prime example just look at Caleb Farley. “He could be a top 5 pick if he’s healthy” Titans make the gamble mid 1st round, Farley plays 2-3 games and gets hurt yet again. It’s just not worth the risk at 4 and 7