Jets Cut Vinny Curry

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

55604173.jpg

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Terrible signing from the Jets point of view. I think vinny is done from a health point of view.

He only cost a little over $1M.  It didn't work out but it was a pickup that made sense at the time at a position of need.  

• Upvote 2

It is weird timing for this.

Only thing I can think of is maybe Curry is healthy again, and has requested his release in the hope that a playoff team (Eagles?) will sign him.

Can't think of any other reason why you would waive him now, with his contract expiring after the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Only thing I can think of is maybe Curry is healthy again, and has requested his release in the hope that a playoff team (Eagles?) will sign him.

Can't think of any other reason why you would waive him now, with his contract expiring after the season.

This is what I’m guessing. No reason to keep him if he’s finally healthy and wants an opportunity to play in the playoffs if someone picks him up

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I don't know if that's totally true:

https://overthecap.com/player/vinny-curry/786/

image.png

It might be a 1 year contract with a 1 year option after that. Depending on its wording, it could be there were some injury guarantees that would have kicked in if he so much as worked out at the Jets' facility and got injured doing so, and was then still injured when the next season officially began in March.

Don't know that this is what happened, but it could be.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He only cost a little over $1M.  It didn't work out but it was a pickup that made sense at the time at a position of need.  

He didn't make that veteran minimum $1.075MM (which would have hit the cap less than that anyway), since he was sidelined for the year with a non-football injury.

His cap charge on otc comes up at about $400K, but since they only paid out $250K of it the rest was due to LTBE terms he didn't attain. Based on that, the team would be likely to get a ~$150K cap credit for the 2022 season.

If all that's correct, the total net charge is what they paid him (between $200-300K) and nothing more. 

• Upvote 1