Special teams coordinator Brant Boyer

Rhg1084

18 minutes ago, Hex said:

Props to him. That might be due to Berrios doing so well. We've had some terrible kickers, so if the kickers did well we'd be even better.

Yeah honestly I don’t know how they grade special team units but apparently we have a good one

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah honestly I don’t know how they grade special team units but apparently we have a good one

if Boyer has been through 3 HC regimes he's probably a pretty good coach. 

3 Jets HC regimes

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This guy was hired by Todd Bowles and still here doing his thing. Props to him 

considering ST hasn't been a problem this year (unlike offense and defense) i am willing to give this some merit. hopefully they can continue to produce next season.

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

berrios must be retained, he anchors the return units.  And having a kicker who is reliable from 45 yards and closer is just critical in the nfl.  

He definitely should (as long as he doesn’t get nuts with demands). I think signing him takes a step in the right direction when it comes to “culture change” — not a major starter but they found his role in the offense and I think of when we signed Holmes over Braylon and how much of a mistake that was. 

11 hours ago, Hex said:

Props to him. That might be due to Berrios doing so well. We've had some terrible kickers, so if the kickers did well we'd be even better.

berrios is doing pretty darn good on punt and kick off returns but that's also a function of how well the teams cover on those plays.  it's not like berrios has speed to burn like some return guys.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Hex said:

Or maybe Berrios doing so well is due to Boyer and his blocking schemes?, it’s notable that both Keelan Cole last week and Tevin Coleman earlier in the season have also looked good returning kickoffs….might be worth bearing that in mind before chucking Berrios that big extension(remember we had Andre Roberts who was the best returner in the league under Boyer)

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This guy was hired by Todd Bowles and still here doing his thing. Props to him 

Ummmmm Boyer is a GREAT coach and one I wanted to keep despite those out here saying that he was a bum and should be fired! 

The dude should eventually be a HC, he is that good to me, and when folks were saying Gase should rightly be getting fired midseason last year I wanted him to be promoted as interim HC....

And those unwilling to let facts get in their way there is this:

Change has been a constant for Boyer, as the Jets have had seven different kickers and have seen five different players lead the team in kickoff returns, four different players in punt returns and has had a different special teams tackles leader in each of his five previous seasons.

Despite the change, his unit has committed just 75 penalties, the 10th fewest of any team in the league, while also posting top 10 rankings in total touchdowns (five), blocked punts (four) and forced fumbles (four). His group has scored a touchdown on punt return, kickoff return and via fumble recovery and is also one of just three in the league with an interception.

Last season (2020), Boyer helped rookie punter Braden Mann establish a franchise record in punting average (43.9), while setting a team rookie record with a 60-yard punt. Kicker Sam Ficken, the only returning kicker Boyer has had in his five seasons, was connected on all 12 of his attempts under 50 yards one of three kickers with no misses on at least 10 attempts last season.

In 2019, Boyer's group finished fourth in the league in special teams DVOA according to FootballOutsiders.com, their second consecutive season in the top five, despite new primary players at kicker (Ficken), punt returner (Braxton Berrios) and kick returner (Ty Montgomery & Vyncint Smith). Overall, the group ranked in the top five in coverage touchdowns (two), punt return average (11.4), kickoff return average against (19.3) and fumble recoveries (two).

All this with bottom feeder talent......

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Or maybe Berrios doing so well is due to Boyer and his blocking schemes?, it’s notable that both Keelan Cole last week and Tevin Coleman earlier in the season have also looked good returning kickoffs….might be worth bearing that in mind before chucking Berrios that big extension(remember we had Andre Roberts who was the best returner in the league under Boyer)

yea, that's a fair point. Berrios has been awesome in normal offense too, though. I think that's where the extension is coming from more.