3 first-round NFL draft prospects who are perfect for Jets’ defensive scheme

Just now, varjet said:

I just looked at the CBS Mock Draft and I like the players picked after the Jets pick.  That is also when the QBs get picked.  Trading down in this draft makes too much sense. 

It’s way early, a QB or two will definitely rise. Jags are no lock to take one of the Edge rushers, either, having gone defense in the three first rounds prior to last season (netting Josh Allen in the process). If they’re stuck at that pick, I could see them going with their favorite OT. 

• Upvote 3

If the draft were held today and we picked at 4 and both Trib and Hutch are off the board. I can see us trading 4 to 10 or 11 and get either Dean at LB or Gardner at CB. I can see us getting Hamilton at 7 or if he is gone, Gardner and then follow up with Dean. I can also see trading out of 7 depending on what is offered. Would love to get as many 2nd rd picks as possible. There will be a lot of talent that slides out of the 1st.

3 minutes ago, David Goodstein said:

If the draft were held today and we picked at 4 and both Trib and Hutch are off the board. I can see us trading 4 to 10 or 11 and get either Dean at LB or Gardner at CB. I can see us getting Hamilton at 7 or if he is gone, Gardner and then follow up with Dean. I can also see trading out of 7 depending on what is offered. Would love to get as many 2nd rd picks as possible. There will be a lot of talent that slides out of the 1st.

If Hamilton is healthy, and the two DE's and Neal are gone, I could see our phone ringing off the hook when we are on clock at #4. But it's very early.,Lots can, and probably will, change.

• Upvote 1

Don't really agree with many of Nania's takes and this one is no exception. It would be shocking if we take a CB before round 3 or 4. Lock down man corners are not high value for this defense. Also Karlaftis is being massively overhyped.  None of the Top EDGE guys are a Bosa type, but people want to believe they are.  That said the Jets may take one of them, but it will be a super risky pick.

I think we need WR, TE and linebacker far more that EDGE, so I love Dean but it seems like we either need to overdraft him or find a trade down which is much more difficult to do without elite talent at the top or elite QBs like last year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’ve been saying for awhile how much I like Karlaftis, but my personal opinion aside, I think people better get used to the idea of him at 4 because unless one of the other DE falls, I just don’t really see who else fits at that pick.

Agreed, Karlaftis or Trade Down feel like the most beneficial at 4.

I love all 3 of these players but I also love the idea of taking our choice of the WRs at 7. There are a lot of ways JD can go for sure.

The JFM Karlaftis thing is interesting because it’s the only way Karlaftis makes sense personnel wise. That said, the 49ers have an edge who kicks inside who’s bigger than JFM and also less dynamic outside than inside. That may be their thing. They also may prefer bigger guys there because they value edge setting and control there and the short armed Karlaftis may not fit that so well. If they do want to draft a bigger edge and kick JFM inside, which is a really interesting idea, they may want Travon Walker for that role too.

The idea that Karlaftis is the only guy who makes sense at 4…he’s far from a consensus top five pick. I think every set of rankings I’ve seen that’s not from a mock draft machine - Brugler, Kiper, McShay, Miller - has Karlaftis ranked between eleven and nineteen. Doesn’t mean they’re all right I just don’t get the thought that he’s the only guy who has value at 4.

Agree they don’t seem to value corner and there are bigger fish to fry.

Dean is smaller than LB’s who usually go top ten but in a weak class overall if he tests as crazy athletic as he looks…could make sense. 

Overall I do know the defense needs help and was the first unit but I think they’re going to value if not prioritize supporting the young QB’s development - which is trending the right way but not at for example Justin Herbert rookie year status. Still expect an edge but have a hard time seeing them not going one offense one defense in the first stanza this year. I do expect defense to get a little more love in free agency.

Think the thing that’ll make or break Saleh is the clear belief of this defensive coaching staff that they can find under the radar guys who fit what they want to do in the back seven really well and so they can fill that later. A guy like MCII is a great example of success there. A little early but the S->LB conversions less so. Guys like Ryan and Bowles seemed to want first rounders at every position…except edge and maybe ILB for Ryan.

If they can pull that off it’s way easier to draft and develop and getting significant contributors on day three is huge. We haven’t seen that in over a decade. If they overreach the team is going to continue to get crushed defensively. I’d like to see them one more year in of bringing in their guys and with better pass rush.

Back to the one offense one defense - it’s a little hard to find a path to two offensive guys. Defense easy to assume edge. Corner is possible but they haven’t shown it’s a priority.  Same with Hamilton at safety. Could see a DL double dip. Maybe they fall in love with Dean or Lloyd. All seem like stretches. The FA period will show us a lot about what they want to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Karlaftis seems like a dude that the draft community got hyped about after his freshman season but couldn’t let go of their original hypedness even in the face of new evidence.

If they make the JFM kick inside move, which would be interesting, Travon Walker makes more sense for this scheme IMO. Just a guess.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

If they make the JFM kick inside move, which would be interesting, Travon Walker makes more sense for this scheme IMO. Just a guess.

Those Georgia DL are interesting cases. Are they that good because they’re just that good, or are they that good because they play next to Davis? 

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Don't really agree with many of Nania's takes and this one is no exception. It would be shocking if we take a CB before round 3 or 4. Lock down man corners are not high value for this defense. Also Karlaftis is being massively overhyped.  None of the Top EDGE guys are a Bosa type, but people want to believe they are.  That said the Jets may take one of them, but it will be a super risky pick.

I think we need WR, TE and linebacker far more that EDGE, so I love Dean but it seems like we either need to overdraft him or find a trade down which is much more difficult to do without elite talent at the top or elite QBs like last year. 

Agreed. I do like Hutchinson and would take him at 4 if he were there, but he won't be.  However, I really hope JD can get a nice trade back with that pick.  It seems like there's a lot of value in this draft from the middle of the 1st round through the 2nd.  All the edge guys are scary...lots of bust potential, but it is a desperate team need.

Maybe some team gets hard for a QB and decides to reach all the way to #4 to get who they want.  Fingers crossed.

JD needs to take more high floor guys in rounds 1-3 b/c his 2020 draft looks mighty bad right now.  Upside guys like Becton, Mims, and Zuniga are busting hard.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Those Georgia DL are interesting cases. Are they that good because they’re just that good, or are they that good because they play next to Davis? 

I think door three is are they that good because they rotate so heavily and they’re all fresh. I assume they get a lot of snaps without Davis since he’s on the field well under half their defensive snaps. I see 235/609 in SEC play for him.

Flip side is the low snap count depresses all of their counting numbers. Walker looks like he’s going to test like a freak. Wide range kind of prospect.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, derp said:

The idea that Karlaftis is the only guy who makes sense at 4…he’s far from a consensus top five pick. I think every set of rankings I’ve seen that’s not from a mock draft machine - Brugler, Kiper, McShay, Miller - has Karlaftis ranked between eleven and nineteen. Doesn’t mean they’re all right I just don’t get the thought that he’s the only guy who has value at 4.

I don’t say that about Karlaftis because of his value.  I say it because I can’t see Douglas taking a corner or WR that high, and I quite honestly don’t see them taking an OL either.  Unless they get rid of Becton, I just don’t see it.  So that leaves DE or Safety.  Throw in that I believe Karlaftis is the exact type of edge they want across from Lawson, to me it seems far and away the most likely pick.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I don’t say that about Karlaftis because of his value.  I say it because I can’t see Douglas taking a corner or WR that high, and I quite honestly don’t see them taking an OL either.  Unless they get rid of Becton, I just don’t see it.  So that leaves DE or Safety.  Throw in that I believe Karlaftis is the exact type of edge they want across from Lawson, to me it seems far and away the most likely pick.

I guess a couple things. Generally I think we just disagree here and I’m honestly picking on you less and the people I don’t recognize as much more who I think are just getting this from the mock draft machine. I know you’ve thought it out and I respect that we’ve just come to different conclusions.

One is JFM already plays the edge across from Lawson and he’s signed for a long time - granted they can get out of the deal. So they may want to kick him inside - they also may just like him in that role. They’ve also got Lawson coming off a major injury and with only two years left on his deal. And this defense rotates heavily. They could kick JFM inside - I personally think the cleaner path is getting a pass rusher behind Lawson so that they can roll JFM on the edge and then kick him inside on passing downs with Lawson/draft pick outside. Then the draft pick takes over for Lawson. Kind of akin the role I presume Dee Ford was brought in to play in SF. I also think someone like Karlaftis would benefit from being kicked inside on passing downs and I guess you just limit the ability to do that a little when you have two edge to DT types.

The other is I just don’t see Karlaftis as a consensus top ten prospect right now so while I could see the kick inside idea I don’t exactly know why guys like Leal and Walker - also not consensus top ten prospects - get eliminated from that discussion but he doesn’t. I also look at Armstead and JFM and think edge setting and gap control are a big part of what they want in that role and I could see that more from someone like Walker where I see Karlaftis as a bowling ball always in attack mode and I while I see the appeal it doesn’t quite jive in my head.

Like I said I think you and I just don’t quite see things the same way and that’s okay. If Karlaftis was legit a top five or six guy on the board I’d see it more I just think when the logic is I’m down to an edge making sense and they’re going to kick JFM inside and this is the guy who fits the role so they’re going to reach to the mid first round to take him with the fourth pick…any little thing in that logic chain breaking ends it.

I also say this feeling the same way about Burks at 7 that you do about Karlaftis at 4, very similar thought process in terms of need/priorities/fit. I don’t actually think they’ll take Burks at 7. So maybe disagreeing with you here is a bit of misdirected disagreeing with myself, who knows. If so I apologize haha.

• Upvote 2

I thank the football gods that our mods started The Gallows and now most of the freaks who ruined threads seem to be gone.  That being said.....

I just love being able to find OP topics that interest me and then seeing all you guys here who know much more about the game than I do discuss and dissect them. 

Well done guys, thank you.   Go Jets!  

• Upvote 1

So Joe Douglas tell us about your first four picks of the draft.

"We'll we were going to keep to the plan and keep building the offense that we have neglected for 10 years, but then our defense was was stink bad under our new defensive head coach that we just can't have him being embarrassed yet again so we have to throw our plan totally out the window and go all defense."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Is Dean currently projected as a potential top ten pick? 

I think a lot will depend on how he measures at the combine.  He is listed a 6'0" 225.  If he measures smaller than that, then no, I don't see him as a top 10 pick.  I love the kid, think he will probably run sub 4.5, his ability to read plays and react is elite.  Takes good angles, very good pass defender, but I don't see an LB who may be sub 6'0" as a top 10 pick.

If he measures at above 6' and say 230 lbs, then lets go get our Darius Leonard.

• Upvote 2

I mean, all three prospects are great but a few different factors come into play. Where are the Jets selecting? Are they staying at 4 an 7. Would I want Karlaftis and Gardner at 4 and 7 without a trade down? Who are we passing on? 

Assuming Neal, Thib and Hutch go top 3 and trades are off the table, at 4 I am looking to take Ojabo or Karlaftis. I think the Jets DO need a Pass Rusher. Their whole defense is predicated on an elite pass rush. Even with Lawson coming back, they need someone to complement him on the other side. Lets also not forget that Fat., Shepherd and K.Phillips are Free Agents and the Jets have an out with Rankins which can save them 5mil. So there will be some re-shuffling of the D-line. And with Karlaftis and Ojabo, you just don't know where they will go. I think one of them will def. go top 5. If there is a combine it will boost both of their stock.  

Its possible the Jets fall in love with Hamilton but I doubt it. He's an elite prospect and the need is there. I could see Saleh pound the table for him. But Pass rusher, to me, makes the most sense here. 

Gardner (or CB for that matter) seems way too early at 4 or 7. Not so much because of the system. But because the Jets have a number of promising young CBs who they are trying to develop. Hall, Echols, Carter, Pinnock, Guidry. You can argue the talent is not top elite- but so what. CB is not a priority. 

Dean is also early at 4 or 7. If the Jets traded down maybe. But its really difficult to predict trade scenarios. If we are looking at any LB, Lloyd seems to be a higher upside prospect. I think he would be just as good of a fit. He's athletic, versatile and no slouch against the run. He is a smart LB and would probably take over nicely for Mosley as the leader of this defense after next year. But again, at 4 or 7 it feels like a major reach.  

So if we end up with a Pass rusher at 4 like Karlaftis or Ojabo I am going with a top o-lineman- Ikem Ekwonu: OT/OG. Plug and play RG with LDT being a FA. He can also slide to RT if Becton or Fant are sidelined with injury. 

Now, since we are talking DEFENSE and that would be a requirement- sure, give me Hamilton, Gardner, or Lloyd at 7.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think a lot will depend on how he measures at the combine.  He is listed a 6'0" 225.  If he measures smaller than that, then no, I don't see him as a top 10 pick.  I love the kid, think he will probably run sub 4.5, his ability to read plays and react is elite.  Takes good angles, very good pass defender, but I don't see an LB who may be sub 6'0" as a top 10 pick.

If he measures at above 6' and say 230 lbs, then lets go get our Darius Leonard.

Agreed, although Leonard measured 6’2” 235 at the combine, he has more length than Dean does, but Leonard did t run sub 4.7.   

• Sympathy 1