****Jets Never Ending Season Comes To An End Game Thread****

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Jets need pass rushers.  Bills had 9 sacks, jets zero.  The jets couldn’t be faulted if they took 2 edge rushers at 4 and 10.  The most premium position on defense. 

That's the only position that's close to justifiable but with Lawson coming back, JFM under team control for a while, the goofy way they separate the two edge positions, and the way this edge class lines up - I'd be surprised. It would be cleaner if they know some bad stuff about Lawson's rehab.

More importantly, they need offensive talent too. Wilson's improved but hasn't broken through at all. Supporting him is the most important thing they can do - good QB play makes up for so much.

3 minutes ago, Grandy said:

And that's not even counting the fact that when healthy we're still vastly inferior. 

To add to this..

It's not just that 4, 5 and 5th string WR's are inferior talents - but there's also no timing with the QB...

That stuff matters - these guys have to know each other --- it's a thing it's why they practice with each other...timing, understanding etc...

They're basically playing blind out there..

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Good, these were the responses I was looking for. I was hoping there was no one here who thought that game was on ZW. Happy he didn’t throw a pick. 5th game in a row. 

Hope he extends the streak next year

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm curious if Zach did what the ZW haters are saying he should do.

Not try and extend plays - not try and make something happen..

Question: What would this board be like if Zach took his 3 or 5 step drop - went through read 1, 2 and 3 in his 2.5 second and threw the ball away...

And did that 20 times in a row?

Because that was pretty much the choices here - 

I can't even imagine the abuse he would take by the antizaxers if he did exactly what the antizaxers are saying he should do...

I get the frustration with being a Jets fan and so much losing and starting over, but I just don't get the ZW hate. He's looking solid mentally, solid in making improvements, and sold as a work ethic and team guy. There is huge hope for him if the team keeps getting pieces. Zach isn't going to get worst, and he's not going to make excuses. The haters are going to have no place to go with it.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

There's 2 types of people in the world, the ones that get it done, and the ones that make excuses about why they couldn't.

All I ever hear is excuses for Joe Douglas, Saleh, and Wilson. All year long. Excuses about why nothing is their fault.

It's just the same song and dance all season long, and 10+ years straight of it.

Saleh and Wilson get some time. Douglas the clock is ticking and it's not going to happen but I'd strongly consider making a change at GM. It's still unfathomable how he bad the 2020 class was. It's hard to let him draft again with that on his record.

13 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

We will be able to assess that better when he has WRs that get open and a line that gives him time to look.

The offense has looked like this in every Zach Wilson game. The only difference is he stopped throwing it longer than ten yards to limit his interceptions.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

What point are you trying to make here? 

Clearly the point is Crowder + Mims + Cole + Kroft = Diggs + Beasley + Davis + Knox

Also while we’re at it, McDermott + Feeney = Dawkins + Morse, while pressure from the Jets pass rush = pressure from the Bills pass rush.

Apples to apples comparisons all around; more or less equal tasks before them, if I have this correctly. 

Wilson has a lot he still needs to improve in his game. I still would like to see a better QB2 than they’ve had, but am less pessimistic than I was even a month ago. This game wasn’t much of a test of QBing; the Jets’ offense was a sh*t show. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Moses is gonna get paid. based on this year’s performance, he will fetch a king’s ransom.They do have the cap space, that’s true. Good tackles are so hard to find. We’ll see.

Why wasn't he paid last year?  He was a starter and played even better in 2020. 

The guy signed for like 3 million.   I don't think it'll cost a fortune to retain him, but he might not want to compete with Ticket for the right tackle spot. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I liked that he stayed poised through it all.  

I didn't see a deer in headlights, just a guy who's team was severely outmatched. 

I’ve been extremely critical of him but there was nothing he could do today.   You throw this game tape away and don’t even re-visit it.   Look at who was on the field today.   Crowder and Cole go out and who exactly is he supposed to throw to?  Kroft is beyond useless, what was he supposed to do?   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I know it, but possibly similar in terms of where they are vs where they need to be.

Maybe. 

I guess it depends on Lawson's health but think the beauty of an edge rusher for the Jets this year is that the way the scheme theoretically rotates is Lawson and JFM base, JFM kicks inside on passing downs and they bring in another edge rusher across from Lawson. Rookie gets to pin his ears back on passing downs as he develops. I think upside is the priority.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ve been extremely critical of him but there was nothing he could do today.   You throw this game tape away and don’t even re-visit it.   Look at who was on the field today.   Crowder and Cole go out and who exactly is he supposed to throw to?  Kroft is beyond useless, what was he supposed to do?   

This team desperately needs another WR and better TEs.  I have, admittedly, not paid much attention to the college TEs.  Any names I should be looking out for?

Look the big stat with Zach was the 9 sacks. It’s a terrible number. For 3 quarters the team was in this game but not because of him. I was hoping he’d end the season with a good game. So there is room for concern and IMO he has to win the job in training camp. In a tough game like this you expect your Qb to find a way to make plays. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I get the frustration with being a Jets fan and so much losing and starting over, but I just don't get the ZW hate. He's looking solid mentally, solid in making improvements, and sold as a work ethic and team guy. There is huge hope for him if the team keeps getting pieces. Zach isn't going to get worst, and he's not going to make excuses. The haters are going to have no place to go with it.

They will pivot to being glad they were wrong if Wilson succeeds. 

I've said it before, predicting a Jets quarterback will bust isn't bold.

Supporting a kid through his development is.  The vitriol for Wilson shouldn't happen until his third year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

Maybe. 

I guess it depends on Lawson's health but think the beauty of an edge rusher for the Jets this year is that the way the scheme theoretically rotates is Lawson and JFM base, JFM kicks inside on passing downs and they bring in another edge rusher across from Lawson. Rookie gets to pin his ears back on passing downs as he develops. I think upside is the priority.

Exactly.   Being able to rotate is crucial.   Lawson, Huff, JFM and Ojabo at Edge is a nice start.   On passing downs go with a 4 man front of Lawson, JFM, Q and Ojabo.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This team desperately needs another WR and better TEs.  I have, admittedly, not paid much attention to the college TEs.  Any names I should be looking out for?

It’s not a great WR class but Burks and London could be nice fits and McBride and Ruckert should be drafted at TE.   There will be months of debate regarding these guys.   At the end of the day you can’t add enough playmakers to this roster right now.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There are a lot of very good TE prospects this year. Probably one of the more loaded years at the position.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.   Being able to rotate is crucial.   Lawson, Huff, JFM and Ojabo at Edge is a nice start.   On passing downs go with a 4 man front of Lawson, JFM, Q and Ojabo.   

I know it's early still, but are you leaning Ojabo over Karlaftis at 4 or are you thinking 10?  

12 minutes ago, derp said:

I'm honestly not sure Linderbaum's measurements are up to date, he doesn't look 290.

Regardless I'm pretty in the middle on the Linderbaum debate. Top ten non premium defenders scare me more than a non premium offensive lineman, but that doesn't make the top ten center a good use of draft capital - even if I think he's a safe pick and good scheme fit.

The whole conversation about him started when the Seattle pick was expected to be in the 20's and then just kind of spiraled. Happens every year with the draft. Everyone on this board always wants the first round center - he happens to be the best one in a while - and then that pick crept up and up.

Top 10 pick for a center would only be viewed favorably in hindsight in comparison to a known bust at another position. 

Nobody uses a top 10 pick on a center. Nobody, ever, in NFL history, and with good reason. Center is a 4th-tier position in terms of importance, and acknowledging Feeney is a sucky one doesn’t change that. Neither does a number of people on a message board overvaluing the position. 

The OL problems today were that the backups at 2 positions were unacceptably bad. Just prior to those starter injuries, so much of the too-quick pressure was because our younger RBs are typically between atrocious and nonexistent in pass protection. It’s one thing to have a single weak link; many teams have that on their OL. When the one (or today two) weak links are so bad the pressure is there far too quickly. e.g. LDT isn’t such a great guard, but even being merely ok it seemed like such a visible improvement over GVR. And when they let pressure through this quickly this often, there usually isn’t much to do with that; especially when compounded with WRs and TEs having trouble getting open in under 4 seconds, and too many drops and/or falling down when they do.

They just weren’t fielding a surrounding NFL cast with this many backups at the same time. 2022 will be another season. In addition to getting starters back on the field, the backups can’t be this bad. I think it was a reasonable effort to have this many experienced veterans as the backups, but failure is failure, and this was failure.