Becton/Fant discussion

Fant/Becton discussion  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want going into 2022?

• Keep Fant at LT, move Becton to RT or other position
    • Keep Becton at LT, move Fant back to RT/swing
    • Keep Fant, look to move on from Becton and resign Moses or draft a RT
    • Offseason battle for LT, keep Becton at backup role initially and make him earn the starting job

Fant is arguably our team MVP this year. He’s given up 1 sack in over 900 pressures. We’ve been one of the better teams in the NFL statistically when running to the his side. His consistency has been instrumental to allowing ZW to progress throughout the season. 

On the other hand Becton did flash greatness his rookie year and ultimately has the higher ceiling. Him and AVT could be a monstrous combo. However he’s consistently had issues with injuries and his recent offseason was not promising in terms of development.

Sign a veteran RT. If they  can get a deal done with Moses, then maybe move Becton inside (unless he clearly beats out Moses over the summer) or see what his trade value is (if it’s just a 3rd or worse, keep him; 1st I’d trade him; 2nd…depends how high/low).

More likely they’re not going to ante up enough to keep Moses, and instead they’ll sign an older veteran T in that $3-4MM range. Fant has earned the starting LT job a helluva lot more than Becton, and no one should be handed a premium position. Beginning of camp, Fant LT and Becton starts out at RT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Fant at this point has earned the left tackle job. Bring in some kind of competition for Becton and make him earn the job on the right side. If he earns that and plays well, maybe he gets a chance to play LT depending on whether or not they extend Fant (which I'd like to see - OL continuity is a good thing).

• Upvote 3

I answered keep fant at LT move Becton to RT. However, it's more complicated than that. A lot depends on how Becton shows up to training camp and how he looks playing LT again. I think the coaches will initially give both guys snaps at LT and RT and make a decision based on how things go. I can see a scenario where Becton wins LT, he gets pushed to RT, or gets benched altogether if they draft another tackle. It all depends on Becton and his attitude. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I answered keep fant at LT move Becton to RT. However, it's more complicated than that. A lot depends on how Becton shows up to training camp and how he looks playing LT again. I think the coaches will initially give both guys snaps at LT and RT and make a decision based on how things go. I can see a scenario where Becton wins LT, he gets pushed to RT, or gets benched altogether if they draft another tackle. It all depends on Becton and his attitude. 

Ticket showing up in shape and motivated would be great for this team.

Unfortunately Fant struggled on the right side so moving Becton is probably best for the team in 22 regardless.

• Upvote 1

I wanna know who the 5 people are voted for have Becton be a backup initially are. ?? People still overreacting to camp reports from the offseason. Becton at the very least is this teams starting RT. I would personally keep em at LT and have Fant be a swing tackle. I wanna see Becton next to AVT for some games next year. 

• Upvote 1

Here's the thing.  Fant is going to be 30 and a FA after the season.

Becton is 22, and under team control for years.  You don't give up a 22 year old that fast.  That being said, no handouts, make him earn his role, and show he can be counted on.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Becton is 22, and under team control for years.  You don't give up a 22 year old that fast.  That being said, no handouts, make him earn his role, and show he can be counted on.

Fant is not a free agent this year. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I agree that’s why I’m on board with moving on from Moses, moving Becton over to RT and seeing how that works out. He can eventually shift back to LT but Fant deserves the job for now going forward.

• Upvote 2

Regard less of how they played this year, nobody, and that means NOBODY on this team should be handed a starting job next year unless they earn it in camp. Until this team is a playoff team year in and year out, that's the way to build a strong team... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

So fidelio who fought screaming Fant sucked and killed JD for signing him now wants to hand him the LT position and to move on from Becton?  

You Dont Say GIF by One Chicago

In fairness, last year he was a below average RT with a top 10 RT salary (after a previous career as a backup). This year he’s been an above average LT (at least in pass protection). It’s not apples & apples. 

Following the 2020 season I don’t recall anybody suggesting Fant should be the team’s starting LT. You found more people advocating they cut him outright and draft a LT with the #2 pick. 

51 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Why would any reasonable person give up on a guy that had an amazing first year and then was injured? We have no idea what happened with his rehab, etc. Becton will be a huge part of this line for the next decade. After watching the Buffalo game - I can't wait to see him back with Fant and McGovern. We really need another top WR though. WRs are hurt all the time. Let's draft one high and then sign a vet to go along with Moore and Davis. Berrios is not a top 3 WR - he is a really good #4. If we can grab Linderbaum with our first 2nd rounder that would be awesome. I think three of our top 4 picks need to be on offense - WR, TE and interior OL. Top guy could be edge and then sign some FAs and draft a LB in rd 3 and corners/safety after that. A lot of our guys could be coming back on D and we can use a ton of money to grab a top corner, TE and LB or two.

18 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Regard less of how they played this year, nobody, and that means NOBODY on this team should be handed a starting job next year unless they earn it in camp. Until this team is a playoff team year in and year out, that's the way to build a strong team... 

Day 1 of training camp next season when you run out first team offense for drills, who are you bringing out at LT? Are you basing it on the previous year with who performed the best/ most consistently or should they just go in alphabetical order? Yeah jobs can be won and lost throughout camp but someone has to begin with the starting position.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, last year he was a below average RT with a top 10 RT salary (after a previous career as a backup). This year he’s been an above average LT (at least in pass protection). It’s not apples & apples. 

Following the 2020 season I don’t recall anybody suggesting Fant should be the team’s starting LT. You found more people advocating they cut him outright and draft a LT with the #2 pick. 

Oh I get it.  But in fairness some need to feel in the dump Becton talk and give him more time first.  Kind of like they needed to do with Fant

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Wirfs is on his way to his second pro bowl in his two years in the league.

Becton routinely destroys bags of cheetos. 

Discuss...

Becton appears to be an injury prone LT

Wirffs being placed in best possible situation for a young RT = no comparison 

Honestly, I don't have a clue with Becton...he's just a part of this junk O line.  Recently, they've been decent at run blocking, but their pass blocking is horrendous as witnessed today.  Serious decisions need to be addressed and Becton who hardly played this season is just part of the problem...thankfully we have a ton of money to spend, and lots of draft picks.  BUT, this is a team with a lot of holes. 

3 hours ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

On the other hand Becton did flash greatness his rookie year and ultimately has the higher ceiling. Him and AVT could be a monstrous combo. However he’s consistently had issues with injuries and his recent offseason was not promising in terms of development.

There is no point in talking about Becton's ceiling or his rookie year. He isn't up to NFL snuff. He should be a bouncer.

• Upvote 1

If you can keep Fant, Becton, and Moses do it.   

I hate hate hate when athletes aren’t given a chance to compete.  I’d tell Becton he can compete for LT next season but come to camp in shape to do that.   He wasn’t quick enough to stay healthy or play LT this season.  

If Becton isn’t in shape and at weight I’d let him try to compete with Moses for RT but I’d secretly see what his trade value was at that moment.  If he shows up over weight I don’t think he wants it bad enough.  

Moses and Fant will give it their all. Moses has been battling knees all year which concerns me a little, but he wants to play.  

• Upvote 2