***2021 NFL PLAYOFFS - WILD CARD ROUND***

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I might be on board with that if wasn't for this being the most embarrassingly awful week of playoff football imaginable.

The greater issue is the clearly completely undeserving playoff competitors than the teams getting byes.

Who cares, you watched the games and the ratings are still thru the roof and that all Goodell cares about. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I might be on board with that if wasn't for this being the most embarrassingly awful week of playoff football imaginable.

The greater issue is the clearly completely undeserving playoff competitors than the teams getting byes.

To be fair, I think this was a year in which the 7th best team in each conference was either mediocre or choked away the playoffs (chargers).

there will be years where the 7th team is legit. Just a bad year 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

To be fair, I think this was a year in which the 7th best team in each conference was either mediocre or choked away the playoffs (chargers).

there will be years where the 7th team is legit. Just a bad year 

The Bears were even worse last year.

There's already enough bad teams in the playoffs. Especially due to the divisional system. It's a disgrace that they added more games and clearly all for money. As always they don't give a sh*t about diluting the quality for financial gain, has been the case for years. Trash league. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Well if the chargers didn't choke we would have had a better team then the Steelers in the playoffs 

After watching a weekend of playoff caliber teams go at it a few impressions.   There isn't one team I saw that reminds me of a great team that doesn't have glaring weaknesses.  Some of the playoff teams aren't even decent.  

The NFL has fully embraced gambling to the point where gambling sites have now replaced drug manfuctures as the big advertisers.  They also put fans in the seat who could care less about the quality of the game.  

The officials continue to be a major deciding factor in every close game.

The Dallas/SF game was the most compelling so far because of the amount of really good players on both sides of the ball.  Dallas with a great coaching staff might even be a dominant SB worthy team.  Instead they were a hot mess. Jimmy G's self immolation wasn't enough for the Cowboys at home with superior talent to win the day.  

I'm a Jets fan but I love high quality emilination games regardless of who's playing.  The Jets are a rooting interest but I don't really take them seriously as a quality football team now or in the future.  If they become one I'll be thrilled.  I don't expect it.   What's really annoying is watching the NFL deteriorate into a cess pool of mediocrity and personality run by gamblers and fantasy football.   That was one of the worst weekends of playoff football I could have imagined.  I'm hopeful the game tonight will be a well played war between two well coached and desciplined football teams.  I expect what we are going to get is something far different. 

It's really a shame what the NFL is turning into.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The 7 seed @ 2 seed games were never going to be close. They were blowouts as expected. The 6 @ 3 seed games (Pats/Bills, 49ers/Cowboys) were compelling before they started but only one lived up to expectations. The 4 seed @ 5 seed games had the most potential during Wild Card round. So far the first 4 vs 5 was an OK game, but most expected the Bengals to win. The last game which is tonight should be competing like the 49ers/Cowboys game. I expect the Rams to pull out a win in dramatic fashion. Out of the 6 games this round, you could say half were worth watching. The other half were awful but if you had money on something it made it worth watching. The only surprise for me was the Jills winning like they did. I still enjoyed this weekend to be honest. Thank you Caesars, thank you. 

-Emperor

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

After watching a weekend of playoff caliber teams go at it a few impressions.   There isn't one team I saw that reminds me of a great team that doesn't have glaring weaknesses.  Some of the playoff teams aren't even decent.  

The NFL has fully embraced gambling to the point where gambling sites have now replaced drug manfuctures as the big advertisers.  They also put fans in the seat who could care less about the quality of the game.  

The Dallas/SF game was the most compelling so far because of the amount of really good players on both sides of the ball.  Dallas with a great coaching staff might even be a dominant SB worthy team.  Instead they were a hot mess. Jimmy G's self immolation wasn't enough for the Cowboys at home with superior talent to win the day.  

I'm a Jets fan but I love high quality emilination games regardless of who's playing.  The Jets are a rooting interest but I don't really take them seriously as a quality football team now or in the future.  If they become one I'll be thrilled.  I don't expect it.   What's really annoying is watching the NFL deteriorate into a cess pool of mediocrity and personality run by gamblers and fantasy football.   That was one of the worst weekends of playoff football I could have imagined.  I'm hopeful the game tonight will be a well played war between two well coached and desciplined football teams.  I expect what we are going to get is something far different. 

Everyone thinks things were better in the past. I think football is fine. No other sport is as interesting or as exciting as football. The refs are definitely too influential, and the quality of the games can be a little inconsistent, but I think the difference between now and whatever era of football you think is the best is not as dramatic as you think. I saw a game a from the 80s a couple months ago and to be honest the game seemed slower and softer than the NFL game today. Players were smaller and the pace was slower, and even less violent. We all get up in arms with the rules changes about player safety but maybe they are not uncalled for. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The Bears were even worse last year.

There's already enough bad teams in the playoffs. Especially due to the divisional system. It's a disgrace that they added more games and clearly all for money. As always they don't give a sh*t about diluting the quality for financial gain, has been the case for years. Trash league. 

The Bears weren't worthy last year, but the Colts were very worthy (11-5 record and gave the Bills everything they could handle in the wildcard game)

It works both ways. 

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Everyone thinks things were better in the past. I think football is fine. No other sport is as interesting or as exciting as football. The refs are definitely too influential, and the quality of the games can be a little inconsistent, but I think the difference between now and whatever era of football you think is the best is not as dramatic as you think. I saw a game a from the 80s a couple months ago and to be honest the game seemed slower and softer than the NFL game today. Players were smaller and the pace was slower, and even less violent. We all get up in arms with the rules changes about player safety but maybe they are not uncalled for. 

It's not about the era.   The game has been watered down by expansion and there is so much more money in it that the owners are way more about their partnership with each other than winning.   Fantasy football and gambling has made much of the fan interest in the quality of the game irrelevant.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Great point, and it is very troubling. When you watch NFL Network and ESPN during the week, and the Fantasy jack offs get as much air time as the real NFL types, you've basically gone over to the dark side in my mind. Also, is there any correlation to the non stop gambling presence in the NFL and the just rapid deterioration and questionable calls by the refs?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, doitny said:

Dallas gave up 5 sacks yesterday. how could that be with two 1st rd picks on their OL. 

maybe they need a 3rd.

Because the times that they didn't give up sacks they were called for holdings, which was like 95% of the time

27 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's not about the era.   The game has been watered down by expansion and there is so much more money in it that the owners are way more about their partnership with each other than winning.   Fantasy football and gambling has made much of the fan interest in the quality of the game irrelevant.  

Yeah I can agree with that to an extent. I don't necessarily mind a team in Las Vegas or for individual states to allow gambling or even for legal gambling sites to be able to advertise but I think it is a mistake for the NFL to embrace gambling and promote it as opposed to just sort of tolerating it

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

The 7 seed @ 2 seed games were never going to be close. They were blowouts as expected. The 6 @ 3 seed games (Pats/Bills, 49ers/Cowboys) were compelling before they started but only one lived up to expectations. The 4 seed @ 5 seed games had the most potential during Wild Card round. So far the first 4 vs 5 was an OK game, but most expected the Bengals to win. The last game which is tonight should be competing like the 49ers/Cowboys game. I expect the Rams to pull out a win in dramatic fashion. Out of the 6 games this round, you could say half were worth watching. The other half were awful but if you had money on something it made it worth watching. The only surprise for me was the Jills winning like they did. I still enjoyed this weekend to be honest. Thank you Caesars, thank you. 

-Emperor

I think the expanded playoff is a bust. Having 7 playoff spots just ends up giving a playoff game to a team that does not deserve one. In this instance the Eagles and the Steelers. Under the old format, TB and KC would have had the second first round byes and we would have at least been spared having to watch them blowout the Eagles and Steelers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

I think the expanded playoff is a bust. Having 7 playoff spots just ends up giving a playoff game to a team that does not deserve one. In this instance the Eagles and the Steelers. Under the old format, TB and KC would have had the second first round byes and we would have at least been spared having to watch them blowout the Eagles and Steelers.

It's only been 1 year of this, so it's too early to say it's bad. There might be years you get a team like the Chargers in who can make noise as a 7 seed. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

It's only been 1 year of this, so it's too early to say it's bad. There might be years you get a team like the Chargers in who can make noise as a 7 seed. 

I agree, but I also think that 95% of the time teams like the Chargers will have better records. They lost multiple games due to half their team being out for COVID, and I think that in normal years it will be clear that the 7 seed is useless.

I do think that more time is needed though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Great point, and it is very troubling. When you watch NFL Network and ESPN during the week, and the Fantasy jack offs get as much air time as the real NFL types, you've basically gone over to the dark side in my mind. Also, is there any correlation to the non stop gambling presence in the NFL and the just rapid deterioration and questionable calls by the refs?

There is a Tim Donaghy in the NFL's future, may be even in it's present. A ref can easily get teams to advance the ball and score with nonsense RTPs and PIs, which means they can manipulate the under/over number very easily. heck, you can bet on quarters as individual games; you can bet on who scores first; there are more prop bets than anyone could ever imagine.When there were only a few legal gambling avenues, you could track it. Now that's exploded exponentially, and how do you track refs' friends, families, associates? There is no way for NFL security to track that. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

There is a Tim Donaghy in the NFL's future, may be even in it's present. A ref can easily get teams to advance the ball and score with nonsense RTPs and PIs, which means they can manipulate the under/over number very easily. heck, you can bet on quarters as individual games; you can bet on who scores first; there are more prop bets than anyone could ever imagine.When there were only a few legal gambling avenues, you could track it. Now that's exploded exponentially, and how do you track refs' friends, families, associates? There is no way for NFL security to track that. 

The other thing. Now that the NFL is in bed with these gambling sites as major business partners, how hard would they even track this stuff?

1 minute ago, section314 said:

The other thing. Now that the NFL is in bed with these gambling sites as major business partners, how hard would they even track this stuff?

Certain they bar any NFL employee from gambling. There is NFL security that almost certainly monitor and sometimes audit ref's social media and devices.  But a burner phone, or someone else doing it for you, no way to police that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Yeah I can agree with that to an extent. I don't necessarily mind a team in Las Vegas or for individual states to allow gambling or even for legal gambling sites to be able to advertise but I think it is a mistake for the NFL to embrace gambling and promote it as opposed to just sort of tolerating it
This is 1000 percent correct .. the NFL sponsorship of Draft Kings and Fan Dual has obliterated any thoughts of steering clear of nefarious opportunities for them .. it is just a matter of time before we start seeing mysterious benchings, play calls and roster decisisons.

Really is sad.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Certain they bar any NFL employee from gambling. There is NFL security that almost certainly monitor and sometimes audit ref's social media and devices.  But a burner phone, or someone else doing it for you, no way to police that. 
If there is one thing i have learned ... NFL security is a joke.

All a guy has to use is a proxy for the bet.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

And not the Pats.  They were frauds

Agreed. They were 3-7 against winning opponents:

1 didn't make it to the playoffs

1 lost to the Jags and sucked in run defense for 1 game

1 lost to the Jets and Texans

They were good at beating crappy teams but floundered whenever a deficit came up.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

The good news is that if TB12 wins another Superbowl, it’s really going to start looking like it was him, not BB. And Pats’ fans will start to get upset at BB for pushing him out the door. 

Patriot fans that haven’t are honestly ****ing goblin trash. The man ran the greatest offensive football player of all time off the team, and replaced it with his goober ****ing son.

Hoping Tampa wins it again. It’s impossible for me to root for the Patriots while Belichick is the head coach. He ended the Brady reign with a backstabbing soul slice to the organization.

I hope he’s remembered for it for all time.